Home
Posted By: C_ROY Need to buy a 375 for buffalo - 01/19/19
Got my my 1st Cape Buffalo hunt booked for 2022.... yeah I know it's a ways out but I have to save up! grin

Now to get a dedicated buff rifle. I really wish I could use my .338 Win Mag. I have used that rifle for 17 yrs and I just can't imagine a properly placed 275 Swift A frame or 285 Barnes TSX would bounce off a Cape but it'a an excuse for a new gun. laugh

Looking at a Kimber Talkeetna. What 375 you guys using for buffalo?
I'm a big fan of using the same model for everything. If you can get a 375 in the same model as your 338, that would be the bee's knees. Muscle memory and auto pilot are pretty handy tools.
Bfly
I've never hunted buffalo but my Ruger Alaskan in 375 Ruger shoots 250 grain Barnes TTSX very well. The 20" barrel is great for shooting in tight quarters. Good luck.
Winchester Alaskan.

Accurate, feeds and light enough you can carry it all day.
If interested-

I have a Ruger Hawkeye African, .375 Ruger, 23" barrel, stocked in a Mcmillan mag. fill McWoody pattern stock. I have used it to take a number of big and/or dangerous critters, all with great efficiency, using my handloads with both 270 gr. Barnes TSX and Barnes 250 gr. TTSX.

My buffalo/big cat/ large plains game hunting days are over, and I no longer need the rifle or ammo. Will sell, PM if there is any interest, we can talk.
Originally Posted by C_ROY

Whitworth...great gun at a still reasonable price...

[Linked Image]
+1 on the Whitworth.
If you go over to Africa Hunting dot com, you will find a great deal on a SAKO in 375. There is also a NIB CZ for sale there. The CZ general need work, so you need to add in the cost of the work with that one. There is also a NIB Winchester M70 too.
PM sent
375 is the Minimum Caliber allowed. Look at a 416 if you plan on hunting more of The Big 5?
you've got some time to shop for a good rifle AND a good price, I booked a hunt and went a few months later, I went with a Ruger Hawkeye African in 375 Ruger (before the crappy muzzlebrake-whatever-the-hell-thingy got attached) shot excellent and was $500 to $1000 less than anything else(then available.)
reloading components and ammo were readily available at reasonable prices, brass bullets and performance were excellent.
if a factory readily available rifle is what your looking for, instead of a used or discontinued model, I would recommend the Ruger.

I used it on a Black and Blue wildebeast, Gemsbok, Warthog, two Kudu, and got to look down the sights at a trophy cape buffalo bull, would have pulled the trigger without feeling undergunned, just the price was a bit out of my league.
I loaded Nosler 260 gr partitions and everything fell in one shot to the Ruger .375- I would recommend it.
Posted By: RinB Re: Need to buy a 375 for buffalo - 01/20/19
I know a very well respected and experienced PH from Zim. He actually preferred that his clients use a 338 Win with 250 Partitions for buffalo rather than a 375. He thinks his clients do better shooting with the 338. He thinks their results are just as good as if a 375 is used. He’s no slouch. He was named African PH of the year by SCI. He had a Dakota 338 he used as a loaner.

The 416’s thump buffalo harder but are much more difficult to shoot well. Precise shot placement is by far the most important thing. Many on this forum will tell you it is below “the minimum” allowed. They are just showing a lack of experience. There are lots of myths. If you are a paying hunter you can pretty much use what you want.

Ask your PH. Save the money.
I was in the same situation a few years ago. I bought a 375 Ruger here on the Campfire. It's a LH Ruger Hawkeye. I've used it on an AK grizzly & a cape buffalo this past summer. I used a 300 grain Nolser partitions on the buff. I would keep an eye in the classifieds. FYI- I added a slip on recoil pad over that thin Ruger red pad.

I'm thinking of relisting it. I doubt if I'll do another cape buffalo hunt. It will be for plains game when I head back over.
What 375 you guys using for buffalo?

While I'm not a buffalo hunter.....my Model 70 is exactly the one I'd pick for the job....it's crf (if that's important) and pretty as all get out.....and since I'll never hunt those ugly beasts, it's for sale.....PM me if you're interested
Originally Posted by Blackfly1
I'm a big fan of using the same model for everything. If you can get a 375 in the same model as your 338, that would be the bee's knees. Muscle memory and auto pilot are pretty handy tools.
Bfly

My feelings also. I have a M70 375 for Africa. For the previous 6 months or so I hunt with that or another M70.
Bfly

My .338 and all my other rifles are all Remington 700 based. I believe most PH's prefer the positive feed of a mauser based action. I'm OK straying into the dark side of control round feed. laugh
A 338 would probably do the trick if you place well the shot. But even with a 375 we had to track wounded Buff for about a kilometer in that scrub land at 90 degree not much fun. Oh yeah shot placement. Well if there standing broadside in the middle of a field at 40 yds and you have 20 mins to make the shot. Each his own I guess.
Another thought is to build. What are good actions to use a s a base? Interarms Mark X ? Others? I assume finding a Model 70 action at a good price to build would be difficult.....For a Ruger 375 that uses a std action, correct? I could look for 30-06 or 270 for an action, correct? The 375 H&H I assume look for a mag like a 7mm, 300 Win?
I'm impressed by the Browning X-Bolt in 375 I recently bought. It has the walnut stock and iron sights. Very well done rifle. Recoil is stout though
Another thought is to build. What are good actions to use a s a base? Interarms Mark X ? Others? I assume finding a Model 70 action at a good price to build would be difficult.....For a Ruger 375 that uses a std action, correct? I could look for 30-06 or 270 for an action, correct? The 375 H&H I assume look for a mag like a 7mm, 300 Win?

Yes....one can build a .375 H&H and one could use a Mauser action.....even a VZ-24 but it requires a fair amount of work and definitely requires feed rail adjustments.....it can be expensive and not everyone can do it.....even a few smiths that say they can, cannot actually make these things feed well.....

If one really wants a Mauser action for the task, I would agree on the Whitworth.....but there are others such as the ones imported by Charles Daly (Zastava) and the Mark X that might be good donors for the task.....but find one originally made for the magnum actions.....
Finding a pre-64 Model 70 action for the job isn't easy but might turn out to be expensive....the later CRF models in magnum settings will work fairly well....the work required to convert a 7mm Mag to .375 H&H isn't extensive and not too difficult to do.....find one listed as a "classic" for the task.

One should decide in advance if CRF is a requirement....if it is so be it.....but if it's not, then Remington and Sako and Weatherby Vanguard are also fine options.....personally, I believe the CRF feature is way overblown and would not hesitate to use a push feed action for a .375 H&H

Mine is a Winchester classic originally chambered to .338 Win Mag....it works fine in .375 H&H but did require some modifications to the magazine box, and bolt stop...No work necessary to the bolt face or feed rails were required.

That said, building is chiefly for one that wants something he cannot buy....such as stock features, barrel twists, barrel contours, magazine capacity....and the list goes on and on....in the net result he probably won't do much better than to buy a new Winchester Alaskan and go hunting....most any build will take up to a year to complete depending on what you really want.....the new Winchester will be in your hands in a week or two....we all have different checkbooks and timelines....only you can decide.
Originally Posted by vapodog

Yes....one can build a .375 H&H and one could use a Mauser action.....even a VZ-24 but it requires a fair amount of work and definitely requires feed rail adjustments.....it can be expensive and not everyone can do it.....even a few smiths that say they can, cannot actually make these things feed well.....

If one really wants a Mauser action for the task, I would agree on the Whitworth.....but there are others such as the ones imported by Charles Daly (Zastava) and the Mark X that might be good donors for the task.....but find one originally made for the magnum actions.....
Finding a pre-64 Model 70 action for the job isn't easy but might turn out to be expensive....the later CRF models in magnum settings will work fairly well....the work required to convert a 7mm Mag to .375 H&H isn't extensive and not too difficult to do.....find one listed as a "classic" for the task.

One should decide in advance if CRF is a requirement....if it is so be it.....but if it's not, then Remington and Sako and Weatherby Vanguard are also fine options.....personally, I believe the CRF feature is way overblown and would not hesitate to use a push feed action for a .375 H&H

Mine is a Winchester classic originally chambered to .338 Win Mag....it works fine in .375 H&H but did require some modifications to the magazine box, and bolt stop...No work necessary to the bolt face or feed rails were required.

That said, building is chiefly for one that wants something he cannot buy....such as stock features, barrel twists, barrel contours, magazine capacity....and the list goes on and on....in the net result he probably won't do much better than to buy a new Winchester Alaskan and go hunting....most any build will take up to a year to complete depending on what you really want.....the new Winchester will be in your hands in a week or two....we all have different checkbooks and timelines....only you can decide.

Sound advice from someone who has BTDT. I wouldn't hesitate to use a 700 either and you can probably pick one up cheap and use the money you save to practice, practice practice.
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
+1 on the Whitworth.

I agree with you and ingwe. The Whitworth is a hell of a bargain and excellent action and rifle. I actually ran across one of those when I was selling my pre 64 375H&H to Gunner for his Africa trip. Had I not been getting out of the 375 scene, I would have snagged that rifle up in a heartbeat. It was a beauty and only $600.00 locally. Yep, I still kick myself in the azz, for not buying it... I'm sure I'll be smoking a turd in hell for it too... sick
Bfly

My .338 and all my other rifles are all Remington 700 based. I believe most PH's prefer the positive feed of a mauser based action. I'm OK straying into the dark side of control round feed. laugh

Don't do that, you may want to throw all of your 700's away when you get back..
Just be patient. Great deals on used 375's happen frequently on many forums. Unless you think you're going to hunt a lot of buffalo, or other DG, save your money and go used and maybe something that'll hold value so you can sell it afterwards if you're only going once.

You could also save money going with the 375 Ruger, usually. Heck most any standard magnum could be re-bored to 375 Ruger. Find a 7mm Rem ir something in the 4-500 range, send it to JES and $225 later you'll have your 375. But it wouldn't be out of the ordinary to find a 375R for 6-700 either
I used a .375 H&H CZ 550 Safari Magnum which is basically a Mauser action. They're fairly heavy rifles, but that means recoil is very manageable. These rifles are used a lot in Africa and most PH's have confidence in them.
PM sent!
C ROY,

My first .375 H&H (the one I've now had to almost 30 years, despite a couple others along the way) is a Whitworth Mark X. Bought it for $225 at Capital Sports & Western Wear in Helena, Montana. It had a cheap synthetic stock, which I then replaced with a better one, and then added a pretty plain-grained American walnut stock I fitted and checkered, and shortened the barrel to 22". The late Dave Gentry added one of his M70-style 3-position safeties, and D'Arcy Echols eventually added a set of NECG express sights. It shoots very well, and among other animals (including one buffalo) took my first kudu, a huge-bodied bull so old its horns were broomed back several inches, like an old bighorn sheep The Whitworths are fine rifles, and if you find one in good they really don't need extra stuff I've had done to mine.

That said, I would suggest you take RinB's advice and at least contact the PH, asking if he'd be amenable to using the .338 you already own. Just about everything in Africa is flexible, including the regulations about minimum "caliber"--and .375 is by no means the universal legal minimum.The saved money could toward other safari expenses, which always crop up.

But if you really, truly want a .375, so you have an "African" rifle to take to Africa, then you should get one! That's why I took my Whitworth on my first safari, even though it was strictly plains game.....
My first African trip in 2010 was plains game only and I took my trusty .338 Win Mag. It did it all with very little fuss.

When I re upped in 2015 and wanted to include cape buffalo, I first bought a CZ in 458 Lott. It shot 500 gr pills and was a little snappy from the bench.

I settled on a Dakota M76 in 416 Rigby, which shot 400 gr bullets very well, and I took my 338 Win Mag for everything else. That was my ticket to success.

donsm70
"THE SAME ACTION AS YOUR 338 MAKES SENSE"

I agree with those that said this.

100% especially for dangerous game. they nailed it.

I chose years ago to use Sako actions for rifles, and Merkel breakopens for upland game.

of course you get to ducks and geese and fine firearms are replaced with disposable berettas and benellis...

A shooter needs to find the safety without thinking, the trigger(s) without looking, and the target instinctively.

same goes for actions and scopes.

also a good idea for motorcycles as we get older, oh, and wives. stick with one model...
Bfly

Smart man.
A common trend on replies seems to be use a familiar and similar rifle. I'm good with that; I would enjoy putting together a 375 Ruger on an unused 700 7mm Mag I have here not being used.

I will talk to my PH the end of February as he will be in my area for a sports show and we plan to meet to nail down exact dates. I will ask him about using a push feed vs. a control round feed. I will also ask about using my .338 but a new rifle/project is always fun and furthers my looniness!
What sports show in NC in February?
Dixie Deer Classic in Raleigh
Originally Posted by donsm70
My first African trip in 2010 was plains game only and I took my trusty .338 Win Mag. It did it all with very little fuss.

When I re upped in 2015 and wanted to include cape buffalo, I first bought a CZ in 458 Lott. It shot 500 gr pills and was a little snappy from the bench.

I settled on a Dakota M76 in 416 Rigby, which shot 400 gr bullets very well, and I took my 338 Win Mag for everything else. That was my ticket to success.

donsm70

I 2nd the Dakota in 416 Rigby. 400 grain Barnes TSXs are deadly. My father liked mine and needed a scoped bolt-action rifle for buffalo on our trip to Tanzania. We took the doubles but were after bait, so we needed to be successful on stalks versus having fun. We took 5 bulls that trip. The 3 he shot were dead within 60 yards. He has a .375 H&H and took a bull on his first trip to Africa. It was a bit light, in his opinion and he wouldn’t use it again.

And go with the Rigby—always go with a traditional African cartridge. Yeah, they may be a bit more expensive but you don’t shoot them all the time and it’s part of the experience, right?
Bfly

I am also a big believer in this. Although they are not the same make, 7 of my hunting and practice rifles (.223, .22-250, .257 Ackley, 7 mm RM, .308 Win, .300 Wby, and .375 RUM) are scoped, bolt actions of approximately the same weight, have the stock dimensions, and the same safety location and operation.

When I was preparing for my first Cape Buffalo hunt in 2005 I had a Rem 700 Classic in .375 H&H, but it's stock was not the same as my other rifles, and it wasn't exactly what I wanted, so I traded it and bought a Stainless Rem 700 in .375 RUM. I immediately re-stocked it in laminated wood from Richards that I shaped and checkered the same as my other rifles. I then developed moa or better loads for it with several different bullets (300 grain TSX @ 2840 fps, 300 grain Partitions @ 2909 fps, and 270 grain TSX @ 3030 fps). I put a 2-7x Leupold scope on it, and to control its recoil, I had a KDF muzzle brake installed on it and I put a mechanical recoil reducer in the stock. It's felt recoil is not much more than my 7 mm RM.

I have used it on two South African and one Zimbabwe hunts, with shots from 30 to 348 yards on a variety of animals from Steenbok to Buffalo, and I couldn't be happier with it's performance.
what a classic M-70 converted from a 338 mag looks like when it's a .375 H&H

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]]

Posted By: BC3 Re: Need to buy a 375 for buffalo - 01/22/19
I think the easiest thing to do would be to purchase a new M70 Safari Express and be done with it. Prices are reasonable and you should be good to go right out of the box. The sooner you buy your rifle the sooner you can begin practicing with it.
Originally Posted by BC3
I think the easiest thing to do would be to purchase a new M70 Safari Express and be done with it. Prices are reasonable and you should be good to go right out of the box. The sooner you buy your rifle the sooner you can begin practicing with it.

yup....very sage advice
A good New Haven .375 may be a good way to go, has the original M-70 trigger preferred by many.

I got this one used here on the Classifieds. Had it chopped and flutted, added NECG irons. Tweaked the NH trigger to a clean 3#'s, redid the hot glue bedding with Steel Bed. Shoots very well. Lot of gun for the cost.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Here you go. This is a bargain, and the ones I had were all good rifles. Save some money, and use it for another animal trophy fee.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/797043345
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Here you go. This is a bargain, and the ones I had were all good rifles. Save some money, and use it for another animal trophy fee.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/797043345

Hard to beat for the cost...

And, those used big guns are hardly ever shot out...

Except with gunner500, who shot out a .416 Rigby, then had it rebored to .505 Gibbs. But that boy is a bit different... smile

DG guns typically have good bores for obvious reasons...

DF
But, but I read all the magazines and was getting ready for Africa, not one of them mentioned a re-bore/re-barrel before going. grin
Originally Posted by gunner500
But, but I read all the magazines and was getting ready for Africa, not one of them mentioned a re-bore/re-barrel before going. grin

Radical!! smirk

A re-bore doesn't add another gun to the safe. Ever think of that?? shocked

actually, it's a good idea for the hunt budget... whistle whistle wink

Radical!! smirk

Yeah, a real shame not getting another, new rifle...

DF
A new rifle is always a good idea. wink

grin

Always...

DF
That is why I have 3-.375 H&H's. wink

And a .375 RUM just because.
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Radical!! smirk

Yeah, a real shame not getting another, new rifle...

DF

I just can't go on Elk! laugh
That is why I have 3-.375 H&H's. wink

And a .375 RUM just because.

It's dem big ole NM jack wabbits.

Gotta take enough gun.

DF
Yup,these here NM rabbits are down right mean.
I have a hunting buddy who has shot nothing but Remington 700s for big game for many years. He bought a Win 70 as a DG (buffalo) rifle. He had such trouble with the ergonomics--mostly the safety--that he went back to using a 700. So i concur with the advice to stay with what you know.

You might consider a .416 Rem by the way. Load it down to about 2200 fps for a 350 Barnes and it really does not kick so much, but will do a number on a buff.
Originally Posted by utah708
I have a hunting buddy who has shot nothing but Remington 700s for big game for many years. He bought a Win 70 as a DG (buffalo) rifle. He had such trouble with the ergonomics--mostly the safety--that he went back to using a 700. So i concur with the advice to stay with what you know.

You might consider a .416 Rem by the way. Load it down to about 2200 fps for a 350 Barnes and it really does not kick so much, but will do a number on a buff.

The CRF crowd will have a fit, push feed 700 in Africa. Yuck... shocked

My good bud killed a 41" buff in Zim with his .416 RSM. The PH thought the big Ruger was a good rifle, just too heavy.

His rifle, a push feed M-70 in 416 Rem.

Go figure.

DF

My good bud killed a 41" buff in Zim with his .416 RSM. The PH thought the big Ruger was a good rifle, just too heavy.

Go figure.

DF

I have no issues with PF, none. Just with 700s, the biggest hoax foisted on the shooting/hunting world ....
Originally Posted by jorgeI

I have no issues with PF, none. Just with 700s, the biggest hoax foisted on the shooting/hunting world ....

Tell us what you REALLY think Jorge! shocked
Thanks for all the input....lots of great ideas for sure from lot's of credible hunters that have actual "been there knowledge." There are lots of great deals out there right now for used rifles but there is something to be said for a new rifle and that is the direction I am going.

Found a good deal here and this is what I bought: https://www.cdnnsports.com/rugerr-m77r-hawkeyer-375ruger-ftw-hunter-camo.html#.XEn5xVVKivE
Thanks for all the input....lots of great ideas for sure from lot's of credible hunters that have actual "been there knowledge." There are lots of great deals out there right now for used rifles but there is something to be said for a new rifle and that is the direction I am going.

Found a good deal here and this is what I bought: https://www.cdnnsports.com/rugerr-m77r-hawkeyer-375ruger-ftw-hunter-camo.html#.XEn5xVVKivE

That one would sure work! But take off the muzzle brake first...
Yeah, I'd practice with the brake, take it off when on Safari.

Nice gun at a great price. CDNN is a good source and has been for a long time.

DF
Well chosen on the Ruger. I would take their recoil pad off and replace it with the Decellerator sporting clays model. It has a hard plastic insert on the heel, intended to keep the pad from grabbing when you mount the gun.
Well chosen on the Ruger. I would take their recoil pad off and replace it with the Decellerator sporting clays model. It has a hard plastic insert on the heel, intended to keep the pad from grabbing when you mount the gun.

Good idea for fast handling...

Hadn't thought of that.

DF
It was not my idea, but since I can't remember who I learned it from maybe I should just claim to have thunk it up myself.
It was not my idea, but since I can't remember who I learned it from maybe I should just claim to have thunk it up myself.

Claim it. It’s a good idea.

DF
A Remington 798 in 375 can be had for 700.00. It’s a CFR action.
Originally Posted by hanco

Yep.

To me the Whitworth is nicer regarding wood and finish. Ingwe had a really nice one, beautiful wood.

They can be found sometimes for similar price. Gotta keep looking and be patient.

DF

And remove the rifle from the stock, clamp barreled action in shop vise, drown entire bolt in JB, and give it 1000 strokes to smooth that raggedy sombitch up some.
C Roy----someone has some 375 Ruger Hornady factory ammo & some 1st fired brass in the classified ads for a real good price. Not my ad--FYI Bob

And remove the rifle from the stock, clamp barreled action in shop vise, drown entire bolt in JB, and give it 1000 strokes to smooth that raggedy sombitch up some.

Yeah, they can be pretty rough...

DF
Originally Posted by ingwe

[Linked Image]

Yep, I am impressed with how mine shoots.
That’s the one I referred to. Love that wood.

DF

Yeah, they can be pretty rough...

DF

Yessir, I handled a new one at a local GS a few years back, I pulled the bolt back and looked the action/bolt raceway over, felt like the damn thing was full of sand! shocked
I’ve used valve grinding compound, you gotta be careful not to cut material off the lugs.

It cuts faster than JB. Those actions are rough enough to need a lot of work.

Whitworth is a better deal. Don’t need all that polishing.

DF
Yes, no 'extra' headspace. smile

Radical!! smirk

Blasphemy I tell you.. Pure and simple. There's always a good reason to add another to the safe...

Go figure.

DF

I wouldn't even use a pushfeed at the New York zoo. As for those guys using them in Africa, lions might appreciate it. They get hungry too... While a guy is fn around with a pushfeed, or a rem 700 that won't extract a round or the bolt handle falls off, lions going to be licking his chops, thanking his god for the bounty that has presented itself to him... grin

grin

Always...

DF

I'm in full agreement...
If you HAVE to have a magnum, one of these:

https://www.mauser.com/en/m98/m98-magnum.html

Though I'd prefer the standard in 9.3.
Mad Mooner,

The old school 9.3x62MM is MY choice in a dangerous game rifle. - Old OTTO BOCK "knew what he was about", when it came to designing rifles/cartridges for African hunting.

yours, satx
Don't overlook the .375 Ruger in the Model 77. CRF and cost effective. It has proven itself and factory Hornady Ammo is outstanding with excellent accuracy and it is a hand loaders dream. I have not had one issue with it.
This place cracks me up: the OP purchased his firearms on the 24th and folks are still yammering away with suggestions.
This is the Fire.

What does the OP having already decided on a rifle have to do with a good discussion?

Good discussions can go on and on and on...

And often do...

Ha!

DF
Posted By: RinB Re: Need to buy a 375 for buffalo - 01/28/19

Never ask a barber if you need a haircut!
One of two guns I regret selling
Hi guys, first day on the forum, and I’m not usually given to making profound statements nor observations, however I see there is a lot of comment about what gun to shoot a Buffalo with..........well after being a full licensed full time Professional Hunter in Africa for 29 years. I am licensed in Zimbabwe, Tanzania, Mozambique, South Africa(only Limpopo and Mpumalanga) and recently adding Cameroon to my portfolio, I have hunted numerous elephant in Botswana too.
I can honestly tell you it has more to do with which gun do you like to shoot? .375HH is the accepted legal minimum in most countries and it is a jolly fine caliber, hence the reason it’s been around so damned long. Now you have the minimum caliber, you have to ask yourself what style of rifle do you enjoy shooting.
Believe me, contrary to all the charging buffalo footage you may have watched on the outdoor channel, or read in the latest experts article on hunting Africa’s Dangerous Game, it happens quite infrequently.
It’s also unlikely you will need to do any barrel rolls or load your gun upside down, nor shoot from the hip falling backwards(watch out for your PH please!)
Most off the shelf factory rifles, if you keep them clean, will not let you down. Bear in mind that most of our game you’ll be shooting at 100 meters or less. No need for fancy barrels with unreal grouping.
Most hunter arriving in camp can’t manage the much acclaimed 1”group. Most PH’s just want to see you can get it in a group to start with, and take it from there. If your first bullet is in the bull, that’s it, let’s go hunting. We really don’t want to mess with team confidence and take a second shot!
In all those years of guiding hunters on over 200 buffalo, and around 100 elephant maybe more, my worst rifle and ammunition issues on safari came from reloads and rebuilds, where someone with the tools thought they new more than the manufacturer. Please excuse me if you fall into that category, but it’s the truth. People trying to get a little extra bang from a bullet, a little tighter group from a bullet and barrel/action, all the while the buffalo doesn’t know this, nor does he care. One thing is though, if you make him angry you better make sure you shoot straighter the second time. I can’t say how many times I’ve heard how that buffalo just wouldn’t die........shot 6 times and still running.....that’s cause none are seriously fatal vital organ shots. He will probably die, just not now. I’ve seen plenty of well executed shots that drop the buff in his tracks, and it’s not because of the brilliance of the gun but more the nerve of the hunter and his ability to shoot his favorite gun.
Shoot the gun you love to shoot, .375HH and above for your Buffalo, elephant, dikdik, sable, impala, bongo, eland..............everything. You only need one gun.

I’ve carried a .458wm from Winchester’s Super Grade shelf. A model 70 (post’64), no controlled feed, no claw extraction. 2 down and one in the barrel. It was given to me in 1993 by a well known Retired PH and one of the original Safari Outfitters in Zimbabwe. This rifle is an extension of my arm. There is no cherckering left, just a shadow where it used to be, the Blueing is all but gone where it is exposed to the elements and my sweaty hands. The magazine inside front looks a little like the texture of a golf ball, from the rounds in the magazine striking the front with the recoil all these years, I only use monolithic 465gr ammunition.....cause I only shoot your game when we really have to.......close.
So let me conclude with saying, by the Grace of the good Lord, no one has been hurt in anyway on my watch. I have never had a misfire, I have never had a problem loading, unloading, nor any safety issues. SHOOT WHAT YOU KNOW & KNOW WHAT YOU SHOOT.
Love AFRICA, she needs you. Cheers.
Matetsi,

WELCOME ABOARD. - Interesting post, too.

yours, Darla & tex
Posted By: Quak Re: Need to buy a 375 for buffalo - 02/04/19
Got my my 1st Cape Buffalo hunt booked for 2022.... yeah I know it's a ways out but I have to save up! grin

Now to get a dedicated buff rifle. I really wish I could use my .338 Win Mag. I have used that rifle for 17 yrs and I just can't imagine a properly placed 275 Swift A frame or 285 Barnes TSX would bounce off a Cape but it'a an excuse for a new gun. laugh

I would think a 338WM would work just fine. I know several people who have used them with great success. Id talk with your PH prior to dropping the coin and see if he would allow you to use it. Caliber restrictions are pretty easier to legally get around in Africa.

If I had a 338 I would NOT purchase a 375, as they are just too close. You could buy a donor 700 mag of some sort and have a smith screw on a 416 rem barrel which would be a very real step up in power.

Ive not hunted in Africa so take this with a grain of salt but the most used buffalo gun I've ever heard of was one belonging to Warren Page. With it he slew something like 5 or 600 buffalo. It was built on a LH Remington and last i heard ole left didn't die at the hand of a cow with horns sticking out of its head.

Id use whatever action you like the best and are most comfortable with.
Please see the Whitworth Mauser with Timney trigger, Gentry safety, Talley rings and bases and custom bastogne walnut by Dominic Pisano. If you are interested would sell for $2200 plus shipping. I posted the pics in the image gallery but did not see how to get them here.
"I would think a 338WM would work just fine"
Quak: Col. Jeff Cooper's first buff hunt was with a 338 WM. He was a good shot. It did not go well. That is why he built Baby, a 450 G&A. When I asked him if a better bullet would have resulted in a better outcome he laughed at me. Since you have:" not hunted in Africa" I am going to stick with my 416 Ruger I have used for 4 buff. Since African cape buffalo cost about $14,000 now and 416 Ruger rifles are $700 (if you shop around) I leave my 338 WM home.

Reposting to let you all know that I'm all set now. Thanks for all the great commentary. I can never get enough about African hunting!

Next priority is finding a quality stock to replace the factory one.
That’s a heck of a deal.
Originally Posted by Matetsi
Hi guys, first day on the forum, and I’m not usually given to making profound statements nor observations, however I see there is a lot of comment about what gun to shoot a Buffalo with..........well after being a full licensed full time Professional Hunter in Africa for 29 years. I am licensed in Zimbabwe, Tanzania, Mozambique, South Africa(only Limpopo and Mpumalanga) and recently adding Cameroon to my portfolio, I have hunted numerous elephant in Botswana too.
I can honestly tell you it has more to do with which gun do you like to shoot? .375HH is the accepted legal minimum in most countries and it is a jolly fine caliber, hence the reason it’s been around so damned long. Now you have the minimum caliber, you have to ask yourself what style of rifle do you enjoy shooting.
Believe me, contrary to all the charging buffalo footage you may have watched on the outdoor channel, or read in the latest experts article on hunting Africa’s Dangerous Game, it happens quite infrequently.
It’s also unlikely you will need to do any barrel rolls or load your gun upside down, nor shoot from the hip falling backwards(watch out for your PH please!)
Most off the shelf factory rifles, if you keep them clean, will not let you down. Bear in mind that most of our game you’ll be shooting at 100 meters or less. No need for fancy barrels with unreal grouping.
Most hunter arriving in camp can’t manage the much acclaimed 1”group. Most PH’s just want to see you can get it in a group to start with, and take it from there. If your first bullet is in the bull, that’s it, let’s go hunting. We really don’t want to mess with team confidence and take a second shot!
In all those years of guiding hunters on over 200 buffalo, and around 100 elephant maybe more, my worst rifle and ammunition issues on safari came from reloads and rebuilds, where someone with the tools thought they new more than the manufacturer. Please excuse me if you fall into that category, but it’s the truth. People trying to get a little extra bang from a bullet, a little tighter group from a bullet and barrel/action, all the while the buffalo doesn’t know this, nor does he care. One thing is though, if you make him angry you better make sure you shoot straighter the second time. I can’t say how many times I’ve heard how that buffalo just wouldn’t die........shot 6 times and still running.....that’s cause none are seriously fatal vital organ shots. He will probably die, just not now. I’ve seen plenty of well executed shots that drop the buff in his tracks, and it’s not because of the brilliance of the gun but more the nerve of the hunter and his ability to shoot his favorite gun.
Shoot the gun you love to shoot, .375HH and above for your Buffalo, elephant, dikdik, sable, impala, bongo, eland..............everything. You only need one gun.

I’ve carried a .458wm from Winchester’s Super Grade shelf. A model 70 (post’64), no controlled feed, no claw extraction. 2 down and one in the barrel. It was given to me in 1993 by a well known Retired PH and one of the original Safari Outfitters in Zimbabwe. This rifle is an extension of my arm. There is no cherckering left, just a shadow where it used to be, the Blueing is all but gone where it is exposed to the elements and my sweaty hands. The magazine inside front looks a little like the texture of a golf ball, from the rounds in the magazine striking the front with the recoil all these years, I only use monolithic 465gr ammunition.....cause I only shoot your game when we really have to.......close.
So let me conclude with saying, by the Grace of the good Lord, no one has been hurt in anyway on my watch. I have never had a misfire, I have never had a problem loading, unloading, nor any safety issues. SHOOT WHAT YOU KNOW & KNOW WHAT YOU SHOOT.

Thanks for this. I'd LOVE to see pictures of that rifle if you don't mind.

Okie John
CRoy: What country are you hunting? The reason I ask is while the 375 and 416 Rugers are great cartridges, ammo availability is less than desirable on the Dark Continent. Despite Hornady's PR department comments about " the great inroads" they are making, I know of only one shop in South Africa that carries factory ammo. Perhaps your PH can line up a box in case your ammo does not make it. Happened to me my first trip to Zim.
In case your scope [bleep] the bed get an NECG receiver sight that is made for the Ruger integrel bases. You will need a taller front sight. Because the Ruger receiver is an investment casting it is rougher than a cob. Use 400 grit cloth and polish the top edges of the magazine lips, magazine follower, feed ramp and receiver feed rails. Don't remove too much metal or the follower will pop out. Take small screw driver and depress the ejector. Wrap some polishing cloth around a small needle file and polish the slot the ejector rides in. Replace the chintzy factory magazine spring with a stronger spring. Practice bolt flicks a whole bunch with dummy cartridges with the primer pocket filled in with silicone. Not only will this smooth up the action but it will also show if you are short stroking the bolt. Make a set of shooting sticks. Plans are on the Fire. Practice rapidly getting on the stciks as well as shooting off them at the range. Montana Bullet Company makes gas checked lead bullets for cheap practice rounds. Chore Boy copper pot scrubber strands wrapped around a bore brush removes any lead accumulation.
I like factory the factory Hogue rubber overmolded stock because it is so quiet in the jesse. Twigs don't brush against a hollow synthetic stock that acts like a sound chamber. The stickiness of the rubber disappears after the first drive out of camp due to all the dust.
Hi guys, first day on the forum, and I’m not usually given to making profound statements nor observations,

Dang, this guy's first post and it's one of the best, most informative ones I've read in my 15+ years here.
Agreed. Hope he posts more on where he hunts.
Posted By: Quak Re: Need to buy a 375 for buffalo - 02/08/19
Originally Posted by bobmn
"I would think a 338WM would work just fine"
Quak: Col. Jeff Cooper's first buff hunt was with a 338 WM. He was a good shot. It did not go well. That is why he built Baby, a 450 G&A. When I asked him if a better bullet would have resulted in a better outcome he laughed at me. Since you have:" not hunted in Africa" I am going to stick with my 416 Ruger I have used for 4 buff. Since African cape buffalo cost about $14,000 now and 416 Ruger rifles are $700 (if you shop around) I leave my 338 WM home.

Col. Coopers experience aside I was referring to a couple hunting pals that have used it with great success and the stories of John Barsness and Jim Charmichal from Outdoor Life who had used it to great effect. Regardless, I wasn't touting it as the perfect cow killer but simply saying the 375 is not a big step up in power so id go to a .40 if I wanted more than the .338.

Ive read of some others who have used it with satisfaction but i can't recall at the moment. Perhaps it was Boddington? If i was headed to the dark continent in search of a buffalo, id likely pack a 416 Rem.

As always YMMV.
Follow up on the re-stocking?

If you haven't replaced it yet I would consider turning it over to a good gun smith for a complete re-working. You could smooth it up by shooting it a lot but that could take awhile. A good gun smith can take a good action and really turn it into a piece of perfection. It would be well worth it if the wait time is not too long.
Welcome!

Great post. Share more!

Originally Posted by ingwe

[Linked Image]

Great looking bull! and the Cape buffalo is nice, too!!
Cape bufflao have a saying about Ingwe:

"He looks at you like you owe him money".

smile smile
If you're interested in a rifle for Cape Buffalo, and not an "all around' African caliber, I'd move up to a 416 or 458. A 375 will kill a Buffalo, for sure, but they can be VERY tenacious of life. I'd rather hunt Elephant (brain shot) with a 375 than Cape Buffalo. I've been to Africa 16 times, so I'm not a newbie when it comes to Buff hunting.
Originally Posted by MadMooner
If you HAVE to have a magnum, one of these:

https://www.mauser.com/en/m98/m98-magnum.html

Though I'd prefer the standard in 9.3.

Have you PRICED one of those? They cost the same as the trip.
Posted By: Quak Re: Need to buy a 375 for buffalo - 02/18/19
Hahahahaha...was just thinking the same thing
Posted By: SU35 Re: Need to buy a 375 for buffalo - 02/19/19
The ergonomics on these is actually very good.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/rugerr-m77r-hawkeyer-375ruger-ftw-hunter-camo.html
I'm a huge fan of the Kimber Caprivi. I took one to Zimbabwe in 2012 for Buffalo along with a Krieghoff in .500NE. I wanted to take my buff badly with the .500NE. But as luck would have it we encountered a big herd and I needed the scoped Kimber over the Double. I was using the .300 gr Barnes TSX. First shot was perfect and when the herd exploded and dust was everywhere. He was standing only about 100 yards away. I followed him up with the .500NE, but he was done. It was really more to warm the barrels up on it. They handle a bit quicker then Winchesters and I feel overall a very nice gun for the money. I currently have two of them. Both are very accurate and I wouldn't hesitate to take it again for Buff.
Originally Posted by hatari
Welcome!

Great post. Share more!

[quote=Matetsi]Hi guys, first day on the forum, and I’m not usually given to making profound statements nor observations, however I see there is a lot of comment about what gun to shoot a Buffalo with..........well after being a full licensed full time Professional Hunter in Africa for 29 years. I am licensed in Zimbabwe, Tanzania, Mozambique, South Africa(only Limpopo and Mpumalanga) and recently adding Cameroon to my portfolio, I have hunted numerous elephant in Botswana too.

Great post Matetsi, welcome to the Fire. We look forward to more posts from you, more details on your long and productive career.

DF
Mine was a 375HH in a Mark X in a custom stock.
I've only seen one Cape Buffalo Bull up close ( 75yds as we drove by it) on a big farm south of Joberg. They had some Rhino on the place too, saw them up so close, one of them swiped the front bumper of the Toyota PU ( bakkie) Anyhow, that one bull reminded me of looking at a Limousine Bull at the Houston Livestock show, ha. Big...really big. While I would use a 375 if that was all I could handle, I myself would feel better with a 458 Lott! Or at minimum a 404 Jeffry with 400gr. I don't think I would enjoy shooting a .510 Wells, but I would try it if I had access to one, ha. But I feel the same way about those big humped back bears! smile

I’ve hunted with the 338, 340, and the 375. I’ve used the 416 Rem, and the 458 Lott. I think the 338’s and the 375 are generally pretty close together in effect on game with comparable bullets, so if I were to go to another rifle, I’d forget the so-called “minimum designation” of the 375 as a reason for it and go right to the 416, either Rem or Ruger.

Get one set up now. You have three years to put a thousand rounds through it before you go. By that time it’ll be second nature. A nine-pound +/- rifle with a good pad is not bad.

It’s part of the experience of being a rifle-loony
+1

For a designated buffalo rifle, I would go with a 416. I used the 416 Rem two years ago in Zimbabwe and was very impressed. I had a front on shot, and when I come down from the recoil the bull was stumbling backwards. One shot, clean and no drama.
Posted By: Otis Re: Need to buy a 375 for buffalo - 04/18/19
Call me crazy, but when I go I'm taking my 03A3 in 9,3x62! My buddy's dad has a safari in Zim and said if I can shoot well it will work! To quote Constantine, he's from Austria, "Yeah Bob, you shootz gut! 300 gr solid in the brain bucket will get the job done! I'm with shooting something you shoot well better than using something that helps with less than ideal shot and shot placement! No, I've never shot a buff, though it will be soon!
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

I’ve hunted with the 338, 340, and the 375. I’ve used the 416 Rem, and the 458 Lott. I think the 338’s and the 375 are generally pretty close together in effect on game with comparable bullets, so if I were to go to another rifle, I’d forget the so-called “minimum designation” of the 375 as a reason for it and go right to the 416, either Rem or Ruger.
y

I've read that popularity of the .416 Ruger is fading, whereas the .416 Rem is growing.

A good friend and hunting bud is retrofitting a shot out .264 Win PF M-70 to .416 Rem. Going with the .416 Ruger would have probably required less action work, but I recommended the .416 Rem. mostly for the above reason and brass availability..

I would appreciate comments on .416 Ruger vs .416 Rem. The .416 Rigby, due to its larger case, etc. was out of the question for this application.

DF
A lot of the popularity of cartridges in Africa has to do with availability vs performance. I asked my outfitter about the 375 Ruger vs the 375 H&H, and his only problem with the Ruger was he could not find ammunition.

I found a client who was going the following year and had them take a box of 416 Rem just to help with the shortage.
"...popularity of the .416 Ruger is fading, whereas the .416 Rem is growing."
Dirt: What fact do you base that statement on?
"I recommended the .416 Rem. mostly for the above reason and brass availability.."
In my experience I have found Hornady 416 Ruger brass very available. 416 Remington brass is made by Norma, Remington, Hornady, Bertram, Quality and Jamison. There are more different head stamped 416 Mag brass but I am unsure as to who manufactures the brass. The one thing I am sure of is that 416 Remington ammunition is more available in Africa then 416 Ruger despite what the Hornady marketing department claims.
The water case capacity of the 416 Ruger is 75.8 grains and the 416 Remington 80.0 grains. The Ruger fits into a long action at 3.34" OAL but the Remington needs a magnum length action at 3.6" OAL
The 400 grain bullet maximum velocity using Nosler loading data is 2424 fps for the Ruger and 2503 fps for the Remington.

Yeah, my impression has been that the big Rugers have caught on more in AK than about any other place but don’t know if that is fact. They are certainly good cartridges. The Rigby needs a big platform so not generally as easy to do.

I like Rem’s 416. With Barnes 300 and 350-gr triple shocks flying plenty flat, it is not just a short-range affair either if one can shoot it.
Originally Posted by bobmn
"...popularity of the .416 Ruger is fading, whereas the .416 Rem is growing."
Dirt: What fact do you base that statement on?

Articles by Craig Boddington. Otherwise, I have no way of knowing.

That was his opinion and why I prefaced my remark with "I've read"....

The .416 Ruger would for sure have been an easier retrofit to the std 3.4" .264 mag action. With the 3.6" .416 Rem round, the smith will mill the rear action bridge to open the action port, redrill for the magnum rear base. I suggested he replace 6x48 screws with 8x40.

.416 Rem seemed the way to go. After all, like Liberal politicians, I am spending someone else's money... grin

DF

I like Rem’s 416. With Barnes 300 and 350-gr triple shocks flying plenty flat, it is not just a short-range affair either if one can shoot it.

Phil Shoemaker (458Win) says his daughter uses her .416 Rem to shoot sheep and about everything else.

And, being his daughter, don't ya know she can shoot a big gun very well...

DF
This one looks a lot like mine, except for the custom work. It has always been a good shooter for me. I had a Whitworth in the 80's, but I had feeding problems I couldn't resolve. I replaced the Whitworth with a pre 64 with 25 inch barrel, which was my favorite. The pre 64 went down the road when I got married, then I later got the stainless classic in the 90's. All of the .375's were accurate with a variety of loads, and all of them put a variety of (full power) loads reasonably close to the same point of aim.

If I had a lot of money and was looking for another, I would look for another 25" pre 64, hands down. It was the best shooter, with the smoothest most reliable feed, of those three.

In my opinion, I always found the .375 more comfortable to shoot than a .300 magnum, either Winchester or Weatherby. The .300 seemed to have a vicious, tooth rattling jab, while the .375 just had a big smooth push. Maybe it's because the .375s all had a more reasonable weight, and they seem to build .300s light.

For years I loaded for, shot, and hunted the 300, and 338 magnums. I went through that phase of climbing the ladder of and bigger and bigger cases because I was curious; the then non-existent internet, personal two-way exchange was a one-way dispensing of info and hype in the hard copy magazines which trumpeted this magnum or that one. Or reviewed an old one.

By the time I got to the 375 after maybe two decades of the fast-punching 300’s and a long time with the 340, the 375 was like a heavyweight fighter on a muscle relaxant and a sedative — a kind of a rolling punch instead of the quick jab of the faster magnums that would leave an apple-sized bruise after an afternoon of shooting. Very nice; almost soothing.

Yeah, will always like the H&H. The laws of physics coming together with a fine compromise of case size, bullet mass, velocity, and power all within the capabilities of a hunter and shooter to master.
Posted By: EdM Re: Need to buy a 375 for buffalo - 04/19/19

Yeah, my impression has been that the big Rugers have caught on more in AK than about any other place but don’t know if that is fact. They are certainly good cartridges. The Rigby needs a big platform so not generally as easy to do.

I took my 416 Rem M70 to Zim a few years ago and used it on a number of animals from serval to buffalo out to 250 yards without issue. My handloads using the 350 gr TSX.
Originally Posted by Learmorer

In my opinion, I always found the .375 more comfortable to shoot than a .300 magnum, either Winchester or Weatherby. The .300 seemed to have a vicious, tooth rattling jab, while the .375 just had a big smooth push. Maybe it's because the .375s all had a more reasonable weight, and they seem to build .300s light.

Agree.

I think it has something to do with the velocity of the recoil. A .300 Mag can jab, big guns seem to push.

I'd rather shoot a 500 Nitro Express than a light .300 Mag. Had a good bud headed for Africa. I helped him with his 500 NE Merkel double. That big gun pushed back, but recovery was quick. I put two rounds on a 25 yd target around 2" apart and did it quickly. I felt in control and confident I could do some damage with that big gun. It wasn't as intimidating as I thought it would be.

I got a light weight 300 WM from an estate sale. A pharmacist had it. He had mercury recoil reducer in the stock, a big recoil pad. I could see why he did all that; it was a pain to shoot, literally. It didn't me take long to trade that thing, never looked back. I have a light Ed Brown Damara in .300 WM. It has a muzzle brake and although noisy, not a bad gun to shoot. Ed put brakes on all his light magnums, said the brake made them more accurate. I did shoot it without the brake, didn't take long to put it back on..

Stock fit also is a factor.

DF
I had a dear friend ( deceased now) who went to Zimbabwe a few years back with a stock Mod 70 Express in .375, but with 300 TSX handloads. He shot elephant, some antelope and a leopard with it, easy cheesy. I do think the Barnes 300 TSX is the way to go for buffalo in the .375. I used a standard Mod 700 BDL SS in .375 H&H ( 90's) for elk hunting in the mountains. It was just light enough to be fun to hunt with but just heavy enough to "push well". I used the Sierra 300 sbt in it. I gave it to a young man who went to SA with us in 2002. He used the factory 270 Failsafe ammo for zebra, black wildebeest, impala, wart hog, blesbuck, waterbuck and hartebeest. I liked the monos best of all in everything we shot.
George - got my first 375 about 10 years ago and was thoroughly impressed with how easy it was to shoot well.

Yes - I knew I'd fired a powerful rifle - but... as you described, it was like a big push instead of a harsh, snappy rap.

I've shot it quite a bit and have taken three black bear with it, but nothing more. It's fun to haul it out of the safe and go shoot a few rounds through it now and again. Love banging the 300 yard steel gong at the gun club with that Ruger!

I dunno if I'll ever hunt buffalo. It's been fun just owning, loading for, hunting with a 375 H&H. Such a nice cartridge!

Guy

Yeah, let’s not minimize the allure of a long, sleek, tapered, rounded-edge cartridge in the hand whose other sensory gift was that it actually “plunked” down into the gap-mouthed chamber of a double gun. That sound. There’s that elegant 9.3 x 74, a slightly more petite version, the younger sister one, of the H&H I had; almost feminine in appearance; but I watched it roll a 900 lb bison heifer running at 90* to my position at a hundred yards — just cool! When you are almost seventy, very few things qualify as “just cool” anymore so you notice the ones that are.

I Wish I hadn’t gotten rid of that double rifle in the 9.3. If there is a double rifle that is not completely out of its element, it’s a good double gun in 9.3 x 74 stalking the timber in NA.. The 375 H&H opens the door to a bunch of similar, big, old English and continental rounds that speak with dignity and authority.
Blackfly1,

I heartedly agree with your post. = As a "wrong handed guy" I have a Remington 760 in .300 SAV, one in .30-06, a JES reformatted Model 760 in 9.3x62mm & and am planning to have Jessie reformat my "100-buck garage sale .30-06" Model 760 into a .400 Brown-Whelen Improved within 45 days. - I own all of the calibers of 760 except .257 Roberts from 5.56NATO to the 9.3x62mm currently.
(The 9.3 & the .400 will make the trip to Africa in 2020.)

My shotguns are also Remington pump-guns.

MUSCLE MEMORY is important when hunting dangerous game, imo.

ADDENDA: In the event that you are unfamiliar with the .400B-WI, it is not only the most powerful cartridge that can be made from .30-06 cases but also is "the ballistic twin" of the "well-regarded in Africa" .404 Jeffrey. = It .400 uses the same size bullets as the .405WCF.

There are any number of perfectly suitable .270WCF to .35 Whelen used rifles that would make a fine DANGEROUS GAME RIFLE for likely less than 500.oo cash. = A friend in our local AF vet's club has a VERY NICE .375 Whelen caliber rifle that was converted from a .270WCF. = He told me over breakfast a few days ago that he paid 225.oo for the rifle with REDFIELD scope at the Dallas Gunshow & that he then paid JES just over 200.oo to reformat it.
(The retired CSM's comment was, "It's all the big-bore rifle that I'll ever need for hunting, Worldwide.)

yours, tex
© 24hourcampfire