Home
Posted By: David_Walter Papa - 04/03/19
I saw this on Snipershide and almost wet my pants laughing....

[Linked Image]
Posted By: David_Walter Re: Papa - 04/04/19
No comments?

I guess its funny to me, because the photo is reported to be him writing "the Snows of Kilimanjaro" and I'm headed there soon.

Plus, he's why I ever got to Africa in the first place.
Posted By: Borchardt Re: Papa - 04/08/19
Does Hemingway's Africa still exist?
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: Papa - 04/08/19
Cool!!!!
Posted By: ghost Re: Papa - 04/15/19
Does Hemingway's Africa still exist. Yeah, but not in some ways like it used to, where no roads, and took forever to go from here to there. But still in Tanzania, plenty primitive out away from town. Though PHs these days try to make it "too" comfy for hunters and 5 star meals and stuff, so for me, too comfy. But believe you can still find a great experience there.
Posted By: hatari Re: Papa - 04/15/19
Originally Posted by Borchardt
Does Hemingway's Africa still exist?

You can still get a taste of it. As mentioned, Tanzania has areas, as does the Luangwa Valley in Zambia. I went there just last summer, and as far as remote it is. Camp 6 hours by vehicle from the nearest real town. Local villagers wear hand me down Western clothes and kids have a school of sorts, but still live in grass huts. Game is still there, the rivers full of crocs and hippos, and the lions roar at night.

Hemingway went to Uganda for his last safari, if I'm remembering. Not really interested in going there right now.

So yes, for a price you can still see some "wild" Africa, very similar to what Hemingway and Ruark experienced. Won't be available much longer, I fear.
Posted By: EdM Re: Papa - 04/15/19
I was expecting real Africa in Burkino Faso this year. Not sure if it is or not but it appears I will never know. There was a ten hour drive from the airport to camp.
Posted By: hatari Re: Papa - 04/15/19
"MMBA"

Miles and Miles of Bloody Africa - Robert Ruark
Posted By: agazain Re: Papa - 04/16/19
Roses are red / Violets are blue /
Some poems rhyme / This one doesn't.

Why did the chicken cross the road?
To die. In the rain. Alone.
Posted By: TexasShooter Re: Papa - 04/16/19
LOL, when I was writing my thesis in grad school ( literature major), the professor overseeing my work dropped by the small house I rented just across the street from the university to check on my progress. I had a zebra rug on the living room floor. He saw the rug and asked, "is that rug from a real zebra?" I responded "yes, he didn't run fast enough". At that point, the professor realized I had hunted in Africa and said "Wow, you've had a Hemingway experience!" He was impressed. :-)

As for Africa like Hemingway experienced, I suppose you can get close in Tanzania. I have seen all manner of beast there, no fences and a native population with very little material goods but always smiling and jovial. Lions, elephants, leopards, crocs, hippos, three cobras in camp and all plains game including many big sable were abundant. But, as mentioned above, our accommodations were not nearly as rustic.

T.S.
Posted By: baxterb Re: Papa - 05/13/19
Originally Posted by David_Walter
No comments?

I guess its funny to me, because the photo is reported to be him writing "the Snows of Kilimanjaro" and I'm headed there soon.

Plus, he's why I ever got to Africa in the first place.

Most definitely not Snows of Kilimanjaro. That was published in 1936, this is from the 53/54 safari.
Posted By: Sycamore Re: Papa - 05/14/19
I liked his Spain books....
Posted By: Sycamore Re: Papa - 05/14/19
Originally Posted by EdM
I was expecting real Africa in Burkino Faso this year. Not sure if it is or not but it appears I will never know. There was a ten hour drive from the airport to camp.

not sure I follow? you cancelled the trip?
Posted By: baxterb Re: Papa - 05/14/19
Burkina is getting hammered by terrorists. Shame, know a few guys who hunted there and all said wonderful things.
Posted By: Blu_Cs Re: Papa - 05/14/19

Originally Posted by baxterb
Burkina is getting hammered by terrorists. Shame, know a few guys who hunted there and all said wonderful things.

Technically the terrorists popped over the border to neighboring Benin and snatched the hostages in the Parc National De La Pendjari. They crossed the Oueme river to do it, which during the dry season is not a great feat.

The whole Sahel region across West Africa, just south of the Sahara is pretty much hostile at this point. Pity. It used to be a bit more hospitable to outsiders.
Posted By: George_De_Vries_3rd Re: Papa - 06/01/19

It is hilarious.

Could also have been taken from a contemporary college student’s writing class assignment.
© 24hourcampfire