Home
Posted By: Cascade Plains Game rifle choice - 04/11/19
Looking at plains game, gemsbok in particular. Probably Namibia. Something about those gemsbok... Never hunted Africa before. I'm most interested in gemsbok, kudu, wildebeest and warthog. Gemsbok topping the list. Way ahead of everything else.

Normally I hunt with a 30-06 & 165 gr Noslers, I have shot three black bear with my 375 H&H Ruger Number One, just because I enjoy the heck out of that rifle. With the 375 I have only hunted with the 260 gr Accubond, and have been very impressed. The 30-06 though hasn't disappointed. It's brought me antelope, mule deer, black bear, elk, wolf and grizzly. I've used both the 165's and the 200 gr Nosler Partitions.

My Rem 700 30-06 has a 6x Leupold (36mm version) and the 375 Number One has an older 3x Leupold. Both are sighted-in at 200 yards.

Thoughts on which rifle I ought to take? They've both been successful and frankly, I don't have a favorite between them. The 30-06 is a little more accurate, but both are just fine in that department.

Thanks, Guy
Posted By: CGPAUL Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 04/11/19
Having been three time, and taken all you are after with my 8x57, I would say whatever you shoot best. Either would work.
Posted By: donsm70 Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 04/11/19
Originally Posted by CGPAUL
Having been three time, and taken all you are after with my 8x57, I would say whatever you shoot best. Either would work.

I agree. Either should serve you well. I have been there twice and toted a Remington 700 in .338 Win Mag. I have no regrets but either of your favorites will work.
donsm70
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 04/11/19
Your 30-06 will suffice.

Nothing wrong with 375 though.

I'm on my second trip using 168 Barnes in my 300WSM.
Posted By: RinB Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 04/11/19

I have been around 24 times.

Remember that you will be shooting multiple times a day. I have taken many folks on their first trips. I have never seen anyone using a 375 or 338 maintain their shooting ability over the course of a seven to ten day trip. In NA you may shoot a couple of shots a week. Not so on a plains game hunt. NOTE: the guys I took were not participants on this forum.

A 30/06 with a 165-168 monolithic bullet is perfect. Complete penetration helps with tracking and recovery. I have used a 270 with 130’s and never had a problem on anything, including Eland, so your 30/06 will be just fine. If you insist on Partitions then use 180 or 200 grain bullets. The shots will be within 275 yards.

I have used the 6-36 two or three times. Worked well but I have a slight preference for a 3x9. A fixed 3x isn’t enough.
Posted By: GRF Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 04/11/19
What RinB said....that’s about as good as it gets for advice and backed up by tons of experience.

For my two plains game trips my .325 with 200 grain aframes and 180 grain TSX works just grand.

Namibia is wonderful gemsbok are way cool. Don’t ignore the red hartebeest or the Hartman’s zebra.
Posted By: vapodog Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 04/11/19
Originally Posted by RinB

Remember that you will be shooting multiple times a day. I have taken many folks on their first trips. I have never seen anyone using a 375 or 338 maintain their shooting ability over the course of a seven to ten day trip. In NA you may shoot a couple of shots a week. Not so on a plains game hunt. NOTE: the guys I took were not participants on this forum.

A 30/06 with a 165-168 monolithic bullet is perfect. Complete penetration helps with tracking and recovery. I have used a 270 with 130’s and never had a problem on anything, including Eland, so your 30/06 will be just fine. If you insist on Partitions then use 180 or 200 grain bullets. The shots will be within 275 yards.

I have used the 6-36 two or three times. Worked well but I have a slight preference for a 3x9. A fixed 3x isn’t enough.

yup.....pretty sage advice.....the.30-06 is still the best thing a going.....add ammo availability and you have it in spades.
Posted By: Cascade Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 04/11/19
Thanks guys - sometimes I wonder why I own a 375, other than it's a cool cartridge and I shoot the rifle well.

The ol' 30-06 seems to do everything I ask.

Regards, Guy
Posted By: Cascade Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 04/11/19

That's a LOT of trips to Africa! smile Outstanding!

Thanks.

Guy
Posted By: CRS Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 04/11/19

yep, discussion over
Posted By: NDHuntr Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 04/11/19
Originally Posted by Cascade
sometimes I wonder why I own a 375, other than it's a cool cartridge and I shoot the rifle well.

The ol' 30-06 seems to do everything I ask.

Regards, Guy

The 375 is for your 2nd trip for cape buffalo! laugh
Posted By: NDHuntr Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 04/11/19
And +3 on what RinB said!
Posted By: Filaman Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 04/12/19
I've been hunting all my life and I'm 71 years old and you guys make me feel so inadequate. I've only hunted outside Texas once or twice in my life. I've hunted Whitetail and hogs mostly. But I'd give my left Testicle to go on one plains game hunt. The only thing I have to add here is in my limited experience the .30-06 can do it all and the .270 isn't far behind. Now I don't think i'd take it after elephant or Buff, but there was a guy I've read about that didn't do bad with a lowly 7x57 so if you did your homework an 06 would do it in a pinch. Y'all keep talkin' and I'll keep listening. This is as interesting as it gets.
Posted By: CRS Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 04/12/19
Nothing interesting about it, the 30-06 is plain old boring effective.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 04/12/19
The .30-06 won't just "do in a pinch" on plains game, it will flat do.

May not have shot as many plains game animals as RinB (who I know well), but have been month-long cull/meat hunters with a lot of other people, so have witnessed far more hunters in action (and cartridges, and bullets) than just those used by me. In general, the .30-06 is more effective than larger cartridges (even with such "antique" bullets as the Nosler Partition) because it doesn't normally result in a flinch during a 10-14 day safari, unlike harder-kicking cartridges. Here ist should be mentioned that you probably won't be shooting just at game, but also "check-shooting" the rifle every 2-3 days, to make sure the scope is still on after bouncing around in a Land Cruiser.

Have hunted with people who can shoot harder-kicking rounds consistently on such a safari, but they are in the minority. Finn Aagaard was of the same opinion, estimating that only about a third of his clients could consistently shoot .300 magnums accurately. Part of the reason is that the typical safari client tends to be older, because that's when they can afford it, and consequently may not be quite as recoil-resistant as they were when younger.

There's another factor: Cartridges harder-kicking than the .30-06 also tend to be tougher on scopes. Have seen plenty of previously reliable scopes, costing up to well over $1000, fail on a safari, not just because of bouncing around in a Land Cruiser but because the rifles they were on really hadn't been shot all that much beforehand. This was because the rifles kicked a little too much for their owners to really practice--which also means really proving the scope.

Looking at plains game, gemsbok in particular. Probably Namibia. Something about those gemsbok... Never hunted Africa before. I'm most interested in gemsbok, kudu, wildebeest and warthog. Gemsbok topping the list. Way ahead of everything else.

Normally I hunt with a 30-06 & 165 gr Noslers, I have shot three black bear with my 375 H&H Ruger Number One, just because I enjoy the heck out of that rifle. With the 375 I have only hunted with the 260 gr Accubond, and have been very impressed. The 30-06 though hasn't disappointed. It's brought me antelope, mule deer, black bear, elk, wolf and grizzly. I've used both the 165's and the 200 gr Nosler Partitions.

My Rem 700 30-06 has a 6x Leupold (36mm version) and the 375 Number One has an older 3x Leupold. Both are sighted-in at 200 yards.

Thoughts on which rifle I ought to take? They've both been successful and frankly, I don't have a favorite between them. The 30-06 is a little more accurate, but both are just fine in that department.

Thanks, Guy

Take them both.
I had great luck with the 30-06 and 165 grain monos on plains game. Nothing required a second shot or went very far. The 30-06 was one that our PHs really liked to see in camp. There was also a guy in camp that brought a 257 Weatherby loaded with partitions. He shot gemsbok, zebra, wildebeest without trouble. I can't imagine having an issue with a 30-06 and partitions for the game you listed.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 04/12/19

Normally I hunt with a 30-06 & 165 gr Noslers,

You can stop right there,,,
I built my 300 H&H because of the historical factor and to pair with my 375 H&H. I do not load it to 300 magnum levels, more to 30-06 plus P levels.

Mule Deer is spot on about shooting, practice and testing equipment.

On my first trip to Africa I shot hundreds of rounds In my 300 H&H, 9.3x64 Brenneke, and 375 H&H. I took the 300 and the 180gr TTSX worked perfectly at a sedate 2900 fps and the PH stated to "not change a thing".

My second trip to Africa, I shot close to 600 rounds through my 375 H&H and 404 Jeffery.

You are confident in your 30-06 and 165 partitions. My only advice is to shoot it a bunch before you go. The combo will work, the only failure could be a scope going bad, or the nut squeezing the trigger. grin

The scope issue can be worked out before hand by shooting a bunch and taking a spare along on your trip. The nut squeezing the trigger......that is all up to you. cool
I will echo what others have said about PH's being happy to see a 30-06 come out of a case during "sight in" (mostly a way of checking the capability of the hunter). They had lots of stories about hunters who couldn't hit schidt with their magnums.
Posted By: Cascade Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 04/12/19
You guys are great, thank you.

Ya, the 30-06 and I get along real well. And I do shoot a lot, pretty much weekly, all year. Love going up to the gun club & ringing steel with my hunting rifles. Such a hoot. We've got steel at 300, 450, 500 & 600 yards. I haven't pushed the 30-06 rifle beyond 450 yet, but shoot the farther targets with target rifles.

Standing at 300 yds with the 30-06 a couple of years ago:
[Linked Image]

Prone practice from my hunting pack. Have shot a few critters while resting that rifle on that pack:
[Linked Image]

Am thinking that I'll set up a second scope, already zeroed, and ready to get popped onto the rifle, just in case.

The 30-06 has been great on game here, I figured that you hunters who have experienced Africa would tell me it was fine for over there too. Thanks for the confirmation. Mostly I hunt mule deer, and spice it up with pronghorn, black bear or elk now and then, all spot and stalk.

Regards, Guy
Posted By: Ohio7x57 Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 04/12/19
Although I myself have no personal experience with African game, a guy I used to work with went to South Africa a few years back. He didn't take any of his rifles. He rented one from the outfitter. He used a Blaser 30/06 with plain Jane green box 165 grain Remington Corelokt ammo. He's a very good shot and shot 15 animals with 17 shots (no misses) including a 1200-1400 pound Eland with one shot. I think he shot his Zebra twice, and an Impala twice.

Ron
Posted By: Slider1 Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 04/12/19
I would take the 06. NO REASON for a 375 for Plains Game. Also I would not even think about going to Namibia without shooting a Hartman Mt. Zebra!!!
I think you are more than good to go. Just remember to post pics of your trip.

Find out what your PH uses for shooting sticks also. Then use them in your practice sessions. Whether it be sticks, bog pod, primos trigger stick etc.
Posted By: pete53 Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 04/12/19
that old 30-06 is just hard to beat ammo is easy to find all over the world,06`s are accurate,plenty power at longer ranges ,the most important thing is good scope mounts , good brand scope ,maybe bed the rifle if its wood but just use a 30-06.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 04/12/19
You are more than ready with that rifle/cartridge combo. Don't know many folks who've shot much past 200 yards over there. I do have one kill at 352 yards, with a 375 H&H, whose ballistics are almost identical to the 06...
Originally Posted by CRS
I think you are more than good to go. Just remember to post pics of your trip.

Find out what your PH uses for shooting sticks also. Then use them in your practice sessions. Whether it be sticks, bog pod, primos trigger stick etc.

+1

Really can not go wrong with either of those two plus a good “handful” of others. I took a Blaser R92 with both those two barrels — the ‘06 and the 375 — to do the plains game. I started with the 375 and my 270-gr TSX handload, had a ball with it, and never did switch to the ‘06 for which I had a 168-gr TSX hand-load and which was my intention.. Both are great.
Posted By: CGPAUL Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 04/12/19
Good idea on the second scope. My sons Leupold went south on the first trip...was on his .325. Ended up using my 8x57 for the remainder of our trip. We did take an extra after that,,,but didn`t use it...thank goodness.
Good Luck
Certainly take a spare scope, I do not see irons on your 30-06.
Posted By: buffybr Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 04/12/19
On African plains game hunts I've used two 7mm Rem mags, a .375 RUM, and a .300 Weatherby. All worked great.

On my first trip to South Africa, I took a 7mm RM shooting 140 grain Ballistic tip bullets. It easily made one shot kills on all of the animals that the OP listed, plus a few more.

I took my .375 RUM shooting 300 grain TSX bullets and a different 7mm RM shooting 160 grain Accubonds on my second trip. I used the .375 RUM for buffalo and bushbuck in Zimbabwe, and both rifles for PG on farms in South Africa's Free State and Kwa-Zulu Natal. One of my PH's in KZN, who also had a 7 mm RM, was continually impressed with the internal damage that the 160 grain Accubonds did on the animals that I shot with them.

My third African hunt was to the Eastern Cape of South Africa just for plains game. I hunted 5 different farms or conservancies on that trip, shooting my .375 RUM and 270 grain TSX bullets. This combination was more than adequate for some little critters like a Jackal, a couple of Steenboks, and a Vaal Rhebok, and it also had no difficulty making a one shot kill on a Gemsbok at 348 yards, which is the longest shot that I've ever killed an animal at.
I did borrow a .308 Win shooting FMJ bullets from one of the outfitters for my Cape Grysbok.

I took my .300 Weatherby shooting 168 grain TSX bullets on my fourth African hunt that was in the Limpopo Province of South Africa. This combination worked great on a variety of PG from Klipspringer to Sable. I also loaded some 150 grain FMJ bullets for some smaller animals that I wanted, and I borrowed a .22 LR from my PH for a Caracal.

My last two trips to Africa were to Mozambique, and for both trips I took my .300 Weatherby shooting 168 grain TTSX bullets.
Posted By: prm Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 04/12/19
I would only change to 180 Partitions. Not because I think they will be better per se, only because I’ve always thought about getting an -06 and shooting them. Just seems right! But a 165 Partition or a 168 TTSX would still have me smiling.

FWIW, I’ve shot one (don’t laugh..) Gemsbok with a 160 mono and it died right quick.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 04/12/19
Another vote for the '06 and Partitions...I have killed everything on your list with a .30-06...and for that matter Ive killed everything on your list with a 7x57 as well.

The '06 will not let you down!

Your constant practice shooting is excellent, your idea of packing a spare scope is excellent. I dont know what you are used to, but in the bush ( Namibia...been 6 times...) you need a 100 yard zero.....I repeat, 100 yards.

Told one tyro that and he insisted on having his .300 RUM 3 inches high at 200....it cost him a $1600 trophy fee on a poorly shot waterbuck...

Yeah, a hundred yard zero. Typical flat brushy view straight ahead in most areas; so much so that where there was a tree of sufficient stature, the PH climbed it for a view down into the pockets ahead for game.

[Linked Image]capital one bank near my location
I disagree on the zero. Use what you use here. Don't change just for Africa. Know your rifle and load and you will not have any issues.

Pretty universally brushy and flat. My longest shot, a greater kudu was probably about 175 yards while the closest of the bunch was a warthog at about thirty. I see no advantage myself of long zero when one can almost always get fairly close, sometimes very close — we were within 15 yards of a couple of eland as big as a barn door and I couldn't see more than a square foot of hide — still with no shot.

The only place where I could regularly see to any distance was up north on the Etosha salt pan.
Use the trip as an excuse to get a "tweener" 9,3X62. wink 250gr AccuBonds would be your friend.

(and take the '06 also)
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 04/13/19
I've been to Namibia several times now myself. I agree with Ingwe......100 yd zero is perfect.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 04/13/19
Will just add that one of my good friends used the 100-yard zero on his one safari, on a ranch in Namibia where both Ingwe and I have hunted. He was using a .30-06 with, as I recall, 180 Partitions--but one of his opportunities was at 300 yards. This can happen even in flat thornveld, and because he assumed no shot would even be as long as 200 yards, had no idea where to hold. (And neither did his PH, because believe it or not, many PH's are not all that sophisticated about rifles.)

Everything turned out all right, but I would advise whatever sight-in distance you're used to here. Which means not assuming anythingabout the distances you might shoot, or anything else. It is YOUR hunt, not anybody else's--including the PH. Have run into a number of PH's who assume they can "judge" the range better than a laser rangefinder.

Well, for instance, a 180-gr Nosler Part from a 30/06 at 2800 fps zeroed at 100 yd, is about a 3.5” down at 200 — no problem at all — and about -13” at 300. That’s “a foot” hold-over at three hundred, if need be; not undoable at all with that rare long shot. But of course, a guy has to shoot at home, know that and be prepared for it.

On the other hand it’s easy to shoot too high on a gemsbok the way it is due to those long spinous processes without thinking “remember, hold a little low now” because of that 3” high midrange POI.

Anyway, more than one way to get it done. Have a great time!
I was in Namibia a decade ago and did fine on Gemsbok, Zebra and Kudu with a 30-06 pushing 180 Nosler Parts.
I dream about going back for Eland, and would take a 375HH for that, but might do just as well with the first platform. Enjoy!
Posted By: CRS Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 04/13/19
When I was in Namibia, the PH kept asking me to range distances for him. I automatically did it for my hunting partner.

In Zambia, my PH had a rangefinder and we both ranged and confirmed distance when needed.

Out of those two trips, farthest shot was 235 yards, closest is 40.
I would really like to get back over there and chase a big ol' eland, and big kudu bulls. Can't get enough of those kudu bulls.
Posted By: Cascade Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 04/13/19
Re sighting in, for a few decades the 30-06's I've used have been sighted-in at 200 yards. Seems to have worked out just fine.

I figure I'll just keep it the same. Why mess with success?

I do like that idea of practicing with whatever shooting sticks are used. I've never used shooting sticks from standing, but it seems to be a regular practice in Africa. I like that! Anything to steady the shot.

Guy
Posted By: prm Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 04/13/19
Know where the bullet is relative to scope LOS. Helps to thread through small holes in brush.

Amen to hunting Kudu!
Re sighting in, for a few decades the 30-06's I've used have been sighted-in at 200 yards. Seems to have worked out just fine.

I figure I'll just keep it the same. Why mess with success?

I do like that idea of practicing with whatever shooting sticks are used. I've never used shooting sticks from standing, but it seems to be a regular practice in Africa. I like that! Anything to steady the shot.

Guy

Some PH's may use a second shooting stick under your elbow (?) to steady your shot even more. I suggest you getting Craig Boddingtons book "SAFARI RIFLES II."
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I would really like to get back over there and chase a big ol' eland, and big kudu bulls. Can't get enough of those kudu bulls.

I agree. Here is my “grey ghost.” Not that I care that much but this guy was at 58”. Beautiful, elegant animals. This was the most open area in the Namib brush I was in.

[Linked Image]

Like was discussed, quite a fair number of cartridges will work. As I had read about the yuge 375 during my younger years, I chose it and hunted and shot it a lot incl on this trip. I love this old cartridge which is even more flexible today; ‘course same is true of the 30/06.
Posted By: Slider1 Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 04/13/19
I went to Namibia two years ago. I hunted mostly in the Mountain's, very open country. I used a 7mm RM with 140 Barns TTSX sighted in for 300 yards. I shot 8 animals and the ranges were from 50 - 327 yards. I live out West and am used to shooting across canyons. There was NO WAY to get closer on my longest shot!!! They were headed out of the Concession.
Posted By: CGPAUL Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 04/13/19
Very nice "ghost". My son has one from our 2nd trip. Beautiful and elegant is right. His shoulder mount is something to see.
Awesome bull George. Love the pic. I've shot 4 I think, largest being 55" x 53". I'll never forget the spot, the stalk, or the shot.
Posted By: Sako76 Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 04/13/19
I've been to RSA once, killed 3 animals with a Kimber Montana 7-08 and 120 grain Barnes TTSX (impala, warthog and bleskok) and a kudu and gemsbok with a Sako A7S in 270 Win shooting 156 grain Hammerheads. I did feel a little under gunned with the 7-08. I had elbow issues and couldn't take the recoil of my Rugers in 375 and 35 Whelen. All the other guys in camp were shooting 30-06's and 180's. Agree with the hundred yard zero, my longest shot was 156 yards. Nice Mountain Rifle.
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 04/13/19
The 30-06 will do all you need.
Always has, always will
Posted By: RinB Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 04/13/19

It is a bad idea to zero your PG rifle for an excessive distance but I am convinced it is equally silly to zero for 100 yards.

Zero either at 200 or for a maximum mid-range of 2.5” which occurs at about 140 yards with something going 2700-2800. Either is good. Then you are good for holding on meat out to 250 or so. Don’t do something that requires re-thinking established habits.

Silly? 🤔
Posted By: vapodog Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 04/14/19
Zero either at 200 or for a maximum mid-range of 2.5” which occurs at about 140 yards

Zero at 200 yards makes perfect sense to e.....all my guns are so arranged.
Posted By: McCray Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 04/14/19

<snip> Don’t do something that requires re-thinking established habits.

Exactly!

Nearly every rifle I have has the same 2 inches high at 100 yards zero. From 223 to 416 Remington. The only ones with different zeros are 7STW and 300 Weatherby that get 1.5" @ 100 yards.

People overthink [bleep] and get themselves in trouble.

Go with what you know!
Posted By: CRS Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 04/14/19

It is a bad idea to zero your PG rifle for an excessive distance but I am convinced it is equally silly to zero for 100 yards.

Zero either at 200 or for a maximum mid-range of 2.5” which occurs at about 140 yards with something going 2700-2800. Either is good. Then you are good for holding on meat out to 250 or so. Don’t do something that requires re-thinking established habits.

tend to agree with this line of thinking
Posted By: boatammo Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 04/14/19
Kuda and Impala for me are the best. Been over the pond twice last time was for a month. Started reading about Africa when I was 8 started saving when I was 18 went first time at 57 next time I went for a month. Shot everything with a 375HH which I had shot over 1500 times off sticks before I went. Only 1 animal was shot twice. Your 30-06 will be just fine. I took a 375HH because to me it was Africa and I needed it for Cape Buffalo. Best trophy of my life was a 19.5" Bushbuck. I have it full body mounted.
I didn't need the 375 for everything but I also took a 12ga. O?U for birds and I shot enough to be very comfortable with it.
Life long dream come true.
Posted By: EdM Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 04/14/19
My most recent trip there was to Namibia for some hunting, fishing and touring last year. Many years ago I bought a pretty mint FN Supreme 30-06 for a song whilst living in Houston where few Mauser's sold IME and Weatherby's and Sako did... I mounted a Leupold Vari-X III 3.5-10X on it and loaded up some old Speer 180 gr bullets and took it to the range to learn it was an MOA rifle. I threw it in the safe and there it sat for 15 years until last year. I have never owned a 30-06 prior and last year I decided to take it to Namibia. Yes it was a bit heavier than what I normally hunt with but the 168 gr Barnes TSX just flat azz worked. Tough mountainous area that offered likely my most difficult hunt for mountain zebra well into the mountains. Zebra, kudu, gemsbuck, springbuck and cheetah dropped at the shot. It was sighted dead on at 200 yards. As stated above, it just works.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 04/14/19
After a few previous safaris, in 2002 I finally took a .30-06 on a 2-week trip to RSA that included some extensive culling as well a trophies. Had seen plenty of other cartridges used on plains game before then, from the 7x57 to .375 H&H, along with the .30-06, but had never used the .30-06 myself, and many hunters believe that unless you personally pull the trigger, observational experience doesn't count.

Gun writers generally have some sort of agenda behind what rifles they use, whether field-testing something new, filling a gap in their experience, or "proving" a theory. In this instance it really wasn't revolutionary, but to demonstrate that most hunters really don't need some special rifle to hunt Africa. More hunters believed they did back then than now, but some still do. So I took a .30-06 that (as my friend Brian Pearce put it) as "plain vanilla as possible." It was a Remington 700 factory rifle with a 3-9x scope, and the handloads used 180-grain Nosler Partitions at around 2750 fps.

The hunting was spread out over several hundred miles in both the North Cape and Eastern Cape provinces, and the country varied from the wide-open plains of the Karoo to steep timbered hills to thick streamside bush. Among other animals I got a Rowland Ward springbok at 250 yards, a decent Cape bushbuck at 80 (about as far as could be seen where we hunted), and a very good Cape kudu at 360, standing straight above me on a very steep hilliside--all shot through the shoulders so they dropped right there. It also took a bunch of culls, mostly springbok but some other animals as well, and worked fine on them too, whether head-shooting springbok or, when that wasn't realistic, through the ribs well behind the shoulder--which dropped them quickly too, thanks to the "soft" front end of the Partition opening easily even on 80-pound animals. The vanilla rifle worked pretty well!
Posted By: buffybr Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 04/14/19
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
...most hunters really don't need some special rifle to hunt Africa...

John, are you considering retiring? That statement is very true, but for a gun writer to say that is heresy. How will gun companies be able to sell more rifles and ammunition companies be able to sell all the latest newest and greatest ammunition when a knowledgeable and respected gun writer states that a plain vanilla rifle chambered in a 100+ year old cartridge is all a hunter needs for most hunting?
A .30/06 and a .375 (or .416) is all anyone needed 100 + years ago and the same holds true today.
Originally Posted by buffybr
...most hunters really don't need some special rifle to hunt Africa...

John, are you considering retiring? That statement is very true, but for a gun writer to say that is heresy. How will gun companies be able to sell more rifles and ammunition companies be able to sell all the latest newest and greatest ammunition when a knowledgeable and respected gun writer states that a plain vanilla rifle chambered in a 100+ year old cartridge is all a hunter needs for most hunting?

JB calls it like he sees it, not playing to the grandstands... smile

There are enough gunwriters out there. feeling the need/pressure to be pimping wares.

Some don't need to... cool

Besides, hunters perform best with equipment they're comfortable with.

The old '06 will kill a lot more stuff than it gets credit for. New bullets and new powders make the old hoss even more lethal.

For big stuff, the .375 H&H can speak for itself. And, there are better components for it, as well.

DF
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 04/15/19
That's one thing I really appreciate about JB, his candor and honesty. I subscribe to his "no speccial rifle" theory as well. My 20 yrd old Tikka 7mag went with me every time.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 04/15/19
Cascade has a 375 H&H or two, those go with Africa like Lions and Zebras, I'd have to take one along.
Posted By: Cascade Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 04/15/19
Originally Posted by gunner500
Cascade has a 375 H&H or two, those go with Africa like Lions and Zebras, I'd have to take one along.

Ya, much as I like & respect my 30-06... The 375 bug is biting. smile

Just loaded up 50 practice cartridges earlier today, 270 gr Hornady RNSP's going about 2700 fps via RE-15. I do like that load. Took three bears with the 260 gr Nosler Accubond over RE-15, but... Kinda hording those remarkable bullets.

Practicing at 300 yards, maybe three years ago, with the 375 Number One. Love ringing that gong! Especially with the 375's...
[Linked Image]

The 30-06 makes a lot more sense, but if not for Africa & Alaska... Why do I own one (or two) ?

Guy
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 04/15/19
Now You're getting it Guy. wink I took one I bought here off BSA, when I go back, so will it.
[The 30-06 makes a lot more sense, but if not for Africa & Alaska... Why do I own one (or two) ?

Guy
[/quote]

Exactly. I took my friend a Winchester 70 SS/synthetic Safari Express, .375 H&H on my first visit/hunts with him in 1996. I took a supply of the then available Winchester factory load of the 270gr Failsafe, and some of the same in components. I used it on a warthog ( just to be doing it) that was running at 50yds, hit him through the hips and killed him instantly! ha. Later, in 1998 and again in 2002, I went with some friend and in addition to our own rifles ( 300WM/180 xbt; 338WM/200x; 340W/210xbt; and two other .375s ( a Whitworth Express and a Remington 700 BDL/SS-270 Failsafes too) we used his Mod 70 .375. Zebra, Waterbuck, Red hartebeest, Wart Hogs, Blesbuck, Impala, Blue & Black Wildebeast---all fell to the 270 Failsafe. In '98 we also drove over after a SA hunt to Aroab, Namibia. The big dunes ( with camelthorn tress and scrub) were almost perfectly a half mile apart with "short sage brush looking, though thorn covered, stuff in the floor of the "valley". Though game was seen far off, none of our shots were over about 380yds. Most averaged around 200yds, just due to the way we hunted. We could shoot further, but if you didn't know your rifle and the wind...you wound him you bought him! That's why I like the tougher bullets ( though I admittedly would use the Barnes 168 TTSX in the 30-06 as fast as I could get it) like Partitions, so I could take an animal I really wanted from a less than perfect shot angle. whether first shot or finishing shot, that's $$$, ha. So take both in a 2 rifle case, a spare is always nice. But take that pretty bolt .375 H&H you have, its the perfect place for it! smile I sighted my rifles anywhere from a 1-2" high at 100 and shot them out ( and measured real drop) out to 500 before going over. In effect, the same way I do here, ha. You won't have a lot of time on most of the game as they will be moving, in a herd milling around, or bat crap crazy wild! ha. But you simply "have to go". smile
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 04/15/19
buffybr,

Actually, I semi-retired this year--if you can all its that. Signed up for Social Security the first year they couldn't deduct anything if it made "too much money otherwise, which allowed me to drop my lowest-paying magazine market, which was about half my work-load in "paper" magazines.

But still am committed to doing at least a couple dozen paper-magazine articles a year, as well as a few dozen on the Internet. Oh, and a book every other year, due the slave-driving CEO of riflesandrecipes.com. So am not exactly retired yet, though do plan on fishing a LOT more....

As to the 30/06 making a lot more sense for PG — well, not really. If you can shoot the 375, like it, take it. I can say, IMO, you are for certain not over gunned on gemsbok, zebra, wildebeest, or eland with the old H&H. It’s not a matter of other cartridges not doing it — they can. But the 375 is hardly ever inappropriate. Even for the dainty impala and others of its ilk, it usually doesn’t produce excessive damage like some of the newer whiz-bang kids can.

John, I can heartily recommend (even partial) retirement having just completely done so in January though I am also enjoying chronic low back pain now and just found out I’m severely hypothyroid. One of the body’s master glands going off-grid brings about various and sundry, subtle enjoyments besides the usual, normal old-age stuff.

Enjoy that fishing!
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 04/16/19
George,

Am very sorry to hear about your physical problems. Have been pretty lucky so far!

My experience concerning the .30-06 and .375 is the opposite of yours, not only due to my personal experience with both cartridges (have used the .375 even more than the .30-06 in Africa, on one safari as my "light" rifle), but because of my opportunity to watch MANY other hunters in action.

Most do not handle much more recoil than the .30-06 well, especially over the course of a 10+ day safari. Have found the .30-06 (and similar recoiling cartridges) far more effective overall, because (again) most hunters shoot them better. And a good .30-06 bullet in the right place beats a .375 bullet in the wrong place, by a wide margin. Have seen plenty of examples of both.
Posted By: Cascade Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 04/17/19
John - I'm going to be brave and see if my old shoulder still tolerates the 375 Number One, 'cause it's such a cool rifle.

If not.. the 30-06 will get the nod. smile That danged Remington is a great rifle for a hunter. Accurate. Powerful enough. Easy to use. Reliable... And very successful in the game fields. smile

The 375 is major league cool though. And in the past I've shot it pretty danged well. I seem to be aging faster than the rifle. We will see.

Guy
Posted By: CRS Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 04/17/19
Cascade,
You know you can take and enjoy both. In fact, that is what I think you should do. You enjoy, and have history with both rifles. Create some more history, in Africa.

grin
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 04/17/19
Guy,

You could take both, as somebody has already suggested. It's more of a PITA, even if you use a take-down case suitable for two rifles. (Yes, the No. 1 will fit in one if you remove the buttstock. Just need the appropriate screwdrivers.)

As to bringing both, yes it would be a hassle to tote two rifles and I probably wouldn’t have but for the Blaser R93 modular system I had at the time which made it really easy.

John, my latter condition is “easily” treated with medications; that is, compared with many other issues which might befall somebody so I’m not feeling too sorry for myself. Glad to hear you are doing well.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 04/17/19
Guy, for whatever reason my old brain didn't connect the dots with your new handle... As you know Ive used both quite a bit in Namibia for the game you mentioned. PM me if you have any specific questions, but you've got enough experience on the trigger with both to do well with either one.....and you'll enjoy either one. FWIW I found the basic Hornady 270 grain spire point to be as near to perfect on largish plains game as you're going to get in the .375
Posted By: Tejano Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 04/21/19
Africa and a 375 go together, your 30-06 may be more appropriate. Flip a coin. Two guns are a hassel especially if you are going to multiple countries on the way back. If anything the size of Eland are larger is on the ticket then the 375 would get the nod.
Posted By: Ackman Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 04/28/19

Thanks, Guy

Late last year a friend went to So. Africa. Even with a house full of guns he elected to not take his own over there, and use theirs instead. The rifle they supplied was an '06 with suppressor shooting factory 180gr Sierras. He was also after plains game and shot many animals from warthog size, up to about 900lbs. All were one shot kills and all but one went completely through.
Originally Posted by Ackman
Late last year a friend went to So. Africa. Even with a house full of guns he elected to not take his own over there, and use theirs instead. The rifle they supplied was an '06 with suppressor shooting factory 180gr Sierras. He was also after plains game and shot many animals from warthog size, up to about 900lbs. All were one shot kills and all but one went completely through.

Pro-Hunters or GameKings?
Posted By: Cascade Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 04/30/19

That's a really nice option. Attractive. No travel hassles with the rifle, etc.

I haven't seen ol' JJ Hack post in quite a while, but I remember that he kept a pair of nice Winchester Model 70's over there for his clients, one in 30-06, the other in 375 H&H.

I think I'd enjoy hunting with my rifle more, but... I like rifles in general. Using a nicely set up rifle like the suppressed 30-06 you mention would be just peachy.

Thanks for the thought.

Guy
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 04/30/19
Thank you lord for keeping this thread and Forum, "Creedmoor Free"...
Posted By: Ackman Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 04/30/19
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco

Pro-Hunters or GameKings?

I wasn't told.
Posted By: Ackman Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 04/30/19

That's a really nice option. Attractive. No travel hassles with the rifle, etc.

I haven't seen ol' JJ Hack post in quite a while, but I remember that he kept a pair of nice Winchester Model 70's over there for his clients, one in 30-06, the other in 375 H&H.

I think I'd enjoy hunting with my rifle more, but... I like rifles in general. Using a nicely set up rifle like the suppressed 30-06 you mention would be just peachy.

Thanks for the thought.

Guy

My friend didn't want to mess with sending guns all the way to SA. But after the 7 day hunt, he and wife spent another 7 or so days watching animals in a preserve. I was thinking they'd have him using a .375 or something similar, but that '06 was the outfitter's own custom Husqvarna. And it was perfect.
Posted By: Cascade Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 05/01/19
Originally Posted by jorgeI

LOL! smile

Well, being you mentioned it.... shocked

laugh

DF
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 05/01/19
Have spent considerable time in Africa with a number of PH's, and have spent considerable time talking with them. (There were at least 6 on a month-long cull hunt in 2007.) One of the questions I always ask is what they advise for plains-game clients--and what rifles they load/rent, of any. The .30-06 and 7mm Remington Magnum have been the only chamberings I recall in rental/loan rifles, and the .375 H&H for dangerous game.

However, Finn Aagaard usually rented a .270 Winchester for clients who didn't bring their own "light" rifles. His estimate, of I recall correctly, is that only about a third of his clients could shoot any .300 magnum to be effective on plains game.
Posted By: wageslave Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 05/01/19

My friend didn't want to mess with sending guns all the way to SA. But after the 7 day hunt, he and wife spent another 7 or so days watching animals in a preserve. I was thinking they'd have him using a .375 or something similar, but that '06 was the outfitter's own custom Husqvarna. And it was perfect.

I went to the Karoo in 2017.
Same story as your buddy, hunting for 7 days but "in country for 15".
I rented a Sako .308 that harvested over 30 animals on a cull and trophy hunt.
Worked great on wildebeest, hartebeest, blesbok, springbok and kudu.
No problems.

In less than 3 weeks I head to Namibia, Zim & Botswana for 3 weeks,
(I figure why fly all those hours and not spend a little more time looking around in a few countries).

Anyway, I'm renting again. PH asked what caliber I preferred....".308 would be fine".

Not.

Was enformed that the "smallest" available was .300 win.
Oh.

Ok.
I guess the kudu and gemsbok are huge.
It'll work out, but I sold my .300 SAUM for a reason.
Posted By: Tejano Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 05/01/19
The practical solution is to use what the PH has, but I envy the good old days when Roy Weatherby or Elmer Keith would hunt for a month or more with a veritable arsenal of rifles. Sometimes six or eight. Weatherby did one hunt with every caliber they had at the time. Jack O'Conner had a funny comment after talking to Elmer Keith who was preparing for his first African hunt and spouting off about 577 this and 450/400 that and O'Conner said" that and two bits will get you a cup of coffee." (A pre-inflation cup).
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 05/01/19
Tejano,

When did Elmer Keith take 6-8 rifles to Africa? I have read his writings about his two times in Africa, and don't recall him taking more than two rifles on either hunt, ans that was on his first trip, described extensively in his book SAFARI (and yes I have a copy). On the other safari I believe he only brought a big double, but used a borrowed .375 H&H for some smaller stuff,

Roy Weatherby and his companions did use several Weatherby rifles.

Have spent as long as a month in Africa on cull hunts, using up to three rifles personally, and accompanying companions where they used rifles chambered for more than 6-8 cartridges, and a far wider variety of bullets than Keith, O'Connor or Weatherby.

Craig Boddington has spent far more time in Africa than Keith and O'Connor combined, sometimes 2-3 months in one year to several countries.
Posted By: RinB Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 05/01/19

There is theory and reality. Taking a single rifle is manageable and not terribly inconvenient. Taking two rifles increases the difficulty about 4x. Three rifles, well have seen it done by one guy...his decision negatively impacted all of his traveling companions.

All you need is a rifle that is reliable enough to fire 20-30 cartridges. You are not going to invade a small colony of wildebeest or engage in combat with a herd of zebra.
Since the majority of the Afrikaners I hung with in SA were Biltong Hunters or Cullers, they were big on "head shots". The same as our wild game cullers in the Hill country of Texas/Exotic Ranches do. The cullers/wild game shooters I met near leakey all used the 22-250/55gr, all head shooters. So the 6.5 Creedmoor (which subject comes up) would seem to me to be a "natural" for the same purpose. Easy to shoot, accurate, and affordable ammo for the non-Professionals who don't handload. Same as the .308 does there. Not many Americans who go on trophy hunts "head shoot anything", ha. No, it's a "fun adventure"...use a rifle that you love, have a history with, something that's more than "just a tool". Just use Barnes (:)) and shoot them right. But best of all...have fun! Life is short....
Posted By: Heeler Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 05/01/19
Have spent considerable time in Africa with a number of PH's, and have spent considerable time talking with them. (There were at least 6 on a month-long cull hunt in 2007.) One of the questions I always ask is what they advise for plains-game clients--and what rifles they load/rent, of any. The .30-06 and 7mm Remington Magnum have been the only chamberings I recall in rental/loan rifles, and the .375 H&H for dangerous game.

However, Finn Aagaard usually rented a .270 Winchester for clients who didn't bring their own "light" rifles. His estimate, of I recall correctly, is that only about a third of his clients could shoot any .300 magnum to be effective on plains game.

John,
My limited experience (3 trips) yielded pretty much the same answers you received. My first PH had .308, 30-06 and .22 hornet as his main rental rifles. The second PH had a 7mm-08, and a 300WM (suppressed) for rental. Both had .375 H&H for the big stuff.

From what I've seen/read in the past few years is that now nearly every outfitter's rifle has suppressors for a variety of reasons - easy recoil for all shooters no matter the size of cartridge, along with the reduction of noise in spooking game.
Posted By: Filaman Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 05/03/19
With a 180 grain bullet at 2900 FPS you're not full Magnum, but your comfortable Magnum. You're still 150-200 FPS above a .30-06, and it's not loosening your dentures. To me that's an ideal load.
Posted By: Tejano Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 05/03/19

The 375 is major league cool though. And in the past I've shot it pretty danged well. I seem to be aging faster than the rifle. We will see.

Guy

I would lean this direction but for insurance I would load up some 235 grain Speers or any good 250 grain bullet as a lower recoil back up, maybe just load them till they shoot to the same point of impact as your primary load. A good 250 like the Swift will cover all the plains game if you wanted to only have one load and I can feel the difference betweed them and a full power 300 grain load as far as recoil is concerned.

I would also see if the PH has a camp rifle just in case. I forget which PH it was but for a two gun choice they recommended the 243 and a 375. Some would even use the 243 for baited leopard. At least three of the PH's in Boddingtons Safari Rifles book picked this combo. The only thing is don't shoot so many practice rounds you develop a flinch. Maybe stop every ten shots or so and do a couple of dry firing rounds to double check. It seems some days recoil affects me more than others and if that happens stop and shoot a rimfire or something low recoil. Hunting jack rabbits with a 22 shooting off shooting sticks is great practice. The 375 works pretty well on Jacks too.
Originally Posted by Tejano

Guy

Hunting jack rabbits with a 22 shooting off shooting sticks is great practice. The 375 works pretty well on Jacks too.

Good evidnece here on the Fire that a .460 Wby works well, too... cool

DF
Posted By: Tejano Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 05/04/19
Tejano,

When did Elmer Keith take 6-8 rifles to Africa? .

May have been wrong on that one. It was based on that conversation he had with Jack OConner prior to his first African trip and a photo of him with about 5 or 6 double rifles so he may only have been contemplating taking several at that time. The photo may have been from after both African trips not sure.

I think Weatherby went with Elgin Gates on one trip and the combined total number of rifles looked like enough for a small military platoon.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 05/04/19
Roy went on his first safari with some friends, and everybody was using Weatherby rifles! There were some interesting revelations, especially on Roy's part about the "magic" of super high velocity that didn't quite match up with his previous notions. His journal was printed in Weatherby, the Man, The Gun, the Legend by Grits and Tom Gresham. It's well worth buying a copy just to read the journals, but its also a very fine chronicle of the Weatherby story.
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 05/06/19
Haven't read all 4 pages, but must recount the Harry Selby "rifle" - a Rem. 721 in 30-06 - push feed too. Selby wrote (Mar. 2012 Rifleman) that the rifle was responsible for hundreds of African plains game and an occasional "bad boy". Mounted on it was a "high quality" 4x Redfield.
Unfortunately, there was no mention of bullet style or weight but probably nothing too flashy.
Posted By: Cascade Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 05/10/19
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Haven't read all 4 pages, but must recount the Harry Selby "rifle" - a Rem. 721 in 30-06 - push feed too. Selby wrote (Mar. 2012 Rifleman) that the rifle was responsible for hundreds of African plains game and an occasional "bad boy". Mounted on it was a "high quality" 4x Redfield.
Unfortunately, there was no mention of bullet style or weight but probably nothing too flashy.

Since my primary hunting rifle is a 30-06 Rem 700 with a 6x scope, I like what you've just written about Selby's rifle. smile

Mine has only taken pronghorn, deer, elk, black bear, grizzly and wolf so far. I think it deserves a trip to Africa.

Regards, Guy
Posted By: StrayDog Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 05/31/19
Looking at plains game

My Rem 700 30-06

Thanks, Guy

After you return and show pics of fantastic trophies, you'll probably hear more critics mention you didn't use a CRF extractor.
I hope you enjoy your hunt!
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 05/31/19
Originally Posted by StrayDog
Looking at plains game

My Rem 700 30-06

Thanks, Guy

After you return and show pics of fantastic trophies, you'll probably hear more critics mention you didn't use a CRF extractor.
I hope you enjoy your hunt!

Why?
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 06/01/19
I have recently found a first year production (1948?) Rem 721 30-06 in wonderful condition for a very fair price. A lucky stop at my lgs for a quick look.
Posted By: duckster Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 07/12/19
Take your .30-06 with a quality bullet and you will be good.
Posted By: Cascade Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 07/13/19
Originally Posted by duckster
Take your .30-06 with a quality bullet and you will be good.

Entirely too logical and simple. smile
I'd use a 30-06, no qualms about that...
Kinda late on this but..
When I went over in 2012, my only rifle was a 30-06 shooting 168 grain tipped triple shocks. Worked wonderfully on everything up to and including a 1400 pound eland.
Les
When I went to Namibia ('98) Gemsbuk were $275 each and Springbuk were $175! We had it all worked out to sell the meat back in Joberg and applied to my hunt costs. I shot 4 of each critter! Those Gemsbuk were huge and beautiful! We were near Aroab. There are many entries in RW from that area.
Posted By: Cascade Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 08/14/19
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
When I went to Namibia ('98) Gemsbuk were $275 each and Springbuk were $175! We had it all worked out to sell the meat back in Joberg and applied to my hunt costs. I shot 4 of each critter! Those Gemsbuk were huge and beautiful! We were near Aroab. There are many entries in RW from that area.

1998 - dang - glad you got to go then, wish I could have. Hoping to go soon.

Guy
Hunting bud should be arriving South Africa today. Has 7RM shooting 160 NAB’s at 3K over 67.5 gr RL-26. Shoots sub MOA (3”) at 400 yds. with my reloads, half inch at 100. Should whack about any PG with well placed shots and he does know how to shoot.

DF
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 08/14/19
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Hunting bud should be arriving South Africa today. Has 7RM shooting 160 NAB’s at 3K over 67.5 gr RL-26. Shoots sub MOA (3”) at 400 yds. with my reloads, half inch at 100. Should whack about any PG with well placed shots and he does know how to shoot.

DF

Give us some updates on his safari if you don't mind DF. Interested to see how they work for him.
Will do, JG

I sent him your “I suck” thread some time back.

DF
JG,

Got text from bud in Africa, "5 animals all about 200-250 yards, these rounds you invented are dynamite." They evidently not wasting time. 5 rounds, 5 animals. Evidently that load is knocking them down in an impressive fashion. Another text, "This rifle is superb, many compliments".

Not so sure I "invented" this load, actually did a lot of research on line, mostly here on the Fire. The best load was 67.5 gr. RL-26 at 3,000 fps, sub MOA in his rifle, an older, almost unused 7RM SS fluted Sendero with Timney and 4-14x50 Long Range VX-III Leupold, CDS set up for this load. I had gotten it put together for him, sent the scope back for CDS. I was relieved when the CDS was cranked to 400 and the 3" pattern was dead center. I was in a hurry, relied on Leupold's computer ballistics which were dead on.

He loves Senderos, has an older, much used .270 that he's killed literal truck loads of stuff with over the years. I asked him why he packed such a heavy rifle. His comment, "I know what it'll do when I get it there"... I didn't have the heart to tell him how sorry Leupold scopes were... He's not a Fire contributor, so he's somewhat uninformed about such stuff... wink

43 7/8" Good photo of the rifle and scope. Big grin sorta tells the story.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 08/15/19
That's just fantastic DF, thanks for the update and sharing info with us. Not surprised by the bullet performance but more verification is always nice. I'll remember that RL26 load for sure.
He's taking a lot of photos, doing videos.

Will have more stuff when he gets back.

DF
Posted By: wageslave Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 08/15/19
Great pics...
tell him congrats and nice shooting.
Posted By: DonKnows Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 08/15/19
The bullet does the killing, not the cartridge. 270, 7X57, 308, 280, 7mm mag, 06 - makes no difference. Use the correct bullet and they will all work just fine on Plains Game. Use the rifle you are most comfortable and most accurate with and you will do fine.

Don smile
Don,

You saying it’s the boolet, not the headstamp...

Ha!

DF
Another text from Africa. 300 yds, two rounds in the chest, still walking. A third to the neck put his nose in the dirt. Tough critter.

A fellow hunter borrowed the Sendero to whack an impala at 300, one shot. That rifle seems to be getting a lot of respect over there.

DF

[Linked Image]
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 08/17/19
Good stuff right there DF, Congrats! too your Bud, you NEED to crack that checkbook and join him, it will be experiences you'll remember everyday for the rest of your life. smile
Gunner, he just killed a 44” sable, third largest ever killed on that concession. I’ll post photo Monday at the office. Home computer being upgraded to fixed wireless from DSL, few bugs to be worked out.

I’m enjoying watching him, have no desire to go myself.

DF
Posted By: ingwe Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 08/17/19
Good stuff right there DF, Congrats! too your Bud, you NEED to crack that checkbook and join him, it will be experiences you'll remember everyday for the rest of your life. smile

Where have I heard that before....? grin
I asked about time and weather. Got this text:

“Mornings 48 to 50 it is 6:51 pm we are sitting at fire pit waiting on dinner, gourmet food”.

Asked him to take pictures of the camp.

DF
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 08/18/19
Gunner, he just killed a 44” sable, third largest ever killed on that concession. I’ll post photo Monday at the office. Home computer being upgraded to fixed wireless from DSL, few bugs to be worked out.

DF

NICE! on the Sable, waiting to see it, and dang ? on the no desire part.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 08/18/19
Originally Posted by ingwe

Where have I heard that before....? grin

Everywhere? ; ]

DF

NICE! on the Sable, waiting to see it, and dang ? on the no desire part.

Sable and shots of the camp, which he described as first class.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I asked about time and weather. Got this text:

“Mornings 48 to 50 it is 6:51 pm we are sitting at fire pit waiting on dinner, gourmet food”.

Asked him to take pictures of the camp.

DF

That text was around 11 AM, CST, so they were 8 time zones ahead of us.

He’s back in Louisiana and according to his sister who picked him up at the airport, tired but pumped. Haven’t spoken yet, I’ll give him time to catch up on his sleep.

DF
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 08/20/19
Mr DF, with all due respect sir, you need an attitude adjustment on this Africa hunting denial thing......... whistle
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Mr DF, with all due respect sir, you need an attitude adjustment on this Africa hunting denial thing......... whistle

Thanks JG.

DF
Posted By: RinB Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 08/20/19

Which outfitter and area?

Which outfitter and area?

Don’t know. Will find out.

DF
Just talked to my buddy. He slept for 12 hrs., is up and about, at the office.

He hunted with Charyl Van Riesen at Infinito Safaris. Charyl owns 20,000 acres at the main camp, hunted an 8,000 concession an hour and half away (Sable).

It's in Buffalo Valley 1 1/2 hr from Jberg. They rode thru the countryside passing villages, etc. My buddy suggested they stop and take a leak. Driver said it wasn't safe to stop, so they drove on.

Van Riesen is a lawyer, gave it up to become a full time PH. His Dad was an attorney, did the same thing. My bud is a lawyer; they really hit it off.

He said everything is high fenced, even the crops with pivot irrigation, high fenced with razor wire. SA is a major supplier of table grapes, all those farms are high fenced with razor wire to keep out poachers, etc. The dirt is a gritty, red sand, but fertile when irrigation. They get 30" rain per year. Lots of orange groves, potato farms.

One of the hunting group (4 guys) goes to his church; it's his 13th Safari. Having insider connections like that does help.

He's already booked for Cape buff next year. I'm working on his .416 Rem, an old .264 WM push feed M-70 that he was given. It now wears a #5, 24" Shilen, put together by David Christman, Delhi,LA, a Guild member and 1st class smith. I just Steel Bedded it, mounted the Trijicon 1-6x24 that we picked up used here on the Fire. I already had Talley bases for mag M-70 that I sent to David to mount with 8x40 screws. I got Talley QD rings on EBay with screws instead of levers, as the gun has no irons. He picked up 350 gr. Speer bullets and brass. I'm going to load some less than full house loads to shoot hogs, etc, so he can get used to it.. It'll be ready when it's time to go.

DF
Forgot to mention, the Van Riesen family has been in SA for 400 years.

DF
buffybr,

Actually, I semi-retired this year--if you can all its that. Signed up for Social Security the first year they couldn't deduct anything if it made "too much money otherwise, which allowed me to drop my lowest-paying magazine market, which was about half my work-load in "paper" magazines.

But still am committed to doing at least a couple dozen paper-magazine articles a year, as well as a few dozen on the Internet. Oh, and a book every other year, due the( slave-driving CEO of riflesandrecipes.com.) So am not exactly retired yet, though do plan on fishing a LOT more....

Lena???

John, if ever I make the long plane ride back over again I'll take my FN98 Husqvarna 9,3X62...period. It shoots as far as I can shoot, and it'll handle most everything adequately.
Love the sable !! Great photo.

I want to go back. The next time it's going to be a cull hunt. Lots of zebra, wildebeest, eland---------lots of stalks---lots of shooting. I don't care about size or trophies. Just take a bunch of photos.
Posted By: jdollar Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 08/21/19
Just talked to my buddy. He slept for 12 hrs., is up and about, at the office.

He hunted with Charyl Van Riesen at Infinito Safaris. Charyl owns 20,000 acres at the main camp, hunted an 8,000 concession an hour and half away (Sable).

It's in Buffalo Valley 1 1/2 hr from Jberg. They rode thru the countryside passing villages, etc. My buddy suggested they stop and take a leak. Driver said it wasn't safe to stop, so they drove on.

Van Riesen is a lawyer, gave it up to become a full time PH. His Dad was an attorney, did the same thing. My bud is a lawyer; they really hit it off.

He said everything is high fenced, even the crops with pivot irrigation, high fenced with razor wire. SA is a major supplier of table grapes, all those farms are high fenced with razor wire to keep out poachers, etc. The dirt is a gritty, red sand, but fertile when irrigation. They get 30" rain per year. Lots of orange groves, potato farms.

One of the hunting group (4 guys) goes to his church; it's his 13th Safari. Having insider connections like that does help.

He's already booked for Cape buff next year. I'm working on his .416 Rem, an old .264 WM push feed M-70 that he was given. It now wears a #5, 24" Shilen, put together by David Christman, Delhi,LA, a Guild member and 1st class smith. I just Steel Bedded it, mounted the Trijicon 1-6x24 that we picked up used here on the Fire. I already had Talley bases for mag M-70 that I sent to David to mount with 8x40 screws. I got Talley QD rings on EBay with screws instead of levers, as the gun has no irons. He picked up 350 gr. Speer bullets and brass. I'm going to load some less than full house loads to shoot hogs, etc, so he can get used to it.. It'll be ready when it's time to go.

DF

[quote=Dirtfarmer]Just talked to my buddy. He slept for 12 hrs., is up and about, at the office.

DF[/quote

As an FYI, Infinito Safaris is owned and run by Charl van Rooyen. Damn nice guy and a good PH.
Guess he spelled the name wrong. Thanks for that correction.

Right about a first class operation and PH.

DF
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 08/21/19
Good stuff DF, Thanks for the relays, hell of a Sable too, and LOL JGRaider ; ]
Bud said van Rooyen was appreciative of not having to track down wounded animals. I can see that. Evidently it doesn't work out like that every time.

If I was a PH, I'd appreciate a hunter with skills to drop critters without botched shots. And, my bud and his party tipped them well.

That's the way you get invited back, get access to special deals, etc.

DF
Good stuff DF, Thanks for the relays, hell of a Sable too, and LOL JGRaider ; ]

Gunner, the two pictures are of the same sable, just positioned differently. They finally went with the 44" measurement.

van Rooyen's own mounted sable at his camp is 42". Evidently this one is really special. My bud is jacked up about it, will look great in his camp.

Here are some other critters he killed, all with one shot, either DRT or not traveling more than a few yards.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Bottom line, the 160 gr. Accubond at 3,000 fps is deadly on PG in the hands of a marksman who can put them where they need to go.

Check out JGRaider's thread, 'I Suck". You'll find similar results with that same bullet, same round.

DF
Posted By: RinB Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 08/24/19

That Sable is really nice but the Impala and Waterbuck look just about as good
Posted By: EdM Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 08/24/19
Bottom line, the 160 gr. Accubond at 3,000 fps is deadly on PG in the hands of a marksman who can put them where they need to go.

Check out JGRaider's thread, 'I Suck". You'll find similar results with that same bullet, same round.

DF

In my experience the same can be said for the 7x57 (140 gr AB), 30-06 (168 gr TSX), 8x57 (180 gr BT), 9.3x62 (250 gr X), 358 Win (200 gr TTSX) and 416 Remington (350 gr TSX).
Posted By: RinB Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 08/24/19

Precise placement of a reasonably good bullet always results in recovery of plains game from springboks to eland in 60 yards or less. My average is 30-40 yards but very rarely they will be found at 90 or so. If they go farther it is because of less than great marksmanship. Other than the really small animals, the target is about the size of a cantaloupe, smaller than most think.

DF

Here's JG's testimony of what the160 gr. NAB/7RM at 3,000 fps can do. Of course, throw in a good marksman/hunter.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/8855404/1

DF
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 08/26/19
Nice! that's a hell of an Impala and Waterbuck DF, I need a big Waterbuck, BTW, I kick those 7mm 160gr AB's out at 3220 fps with H-1000 from my 7mm Mashburn Super, very accurate twisting turrets out to 500 yard steel, and 7 and 9 hundred yard rocks up on the hill behind the house.
Yep, agree with you and RinB, those are some nice trophies. Bud is very impressed with van Rooyen and his operation. He's already signed up for cape buff next year. I've about got his .416 Rem, M-70 set up to go. Got the Trijicon 1-6 mounted in Talley rings.

That 160 NAB at 3,200+ fps should kill'em even deader... grin

DF
Gunner, your photos with that fine kudu and duiker are on this site. You're becoming the poster child for African PG hunting.

https://biggamehuntingadventures.com/african-plains-game-hunting/

DF
Posted By: bluefish Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 08/28/19
Was just out shooting my wife's cz 550 7x57 today. That would be a fine choice so far as I am concerned. Easy to shoot and lethal.
Originally Posted by bluefish
Was just out shooting my wife's cz 550 7x57 today. That would be a fine choice so far as I am concerned. Easy to shoot and lethal.

What load would you use?

DF
Posted By: bluefish Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 08/28/19
Believe it or not we have good results with the PRVI 139 grainers. I have about 500 of the Hornady 175 RNs which I think of as the "mini express". Still working to get the stock right. Lots of wood there.
I’ve heard it said, seen it written, any good deer rifle that you can shoot well should work.

Of course, good bullet selection. That said, my bud sure was proud of his 7RM Sendero and the load I put together. And his hunting pards were impressed. So, a gun you have confidence in and can shoot well seems to me to be the obvious choice.

DF
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 08/30/19
Yep, agree with you and RinB, those are some nice trophies. Bud is very impressed with van Rooyen and his operation. He's already signed up for cape buff next year. I've about got his .416 Rem, M-70 set up to go. Got the Trijicon 1-6 mounted in Talley rings.

That 160 NAB at 3,200+ fps should kill'em even deader... grin

DF

LOL, in all actuality, that 160AB would hold up better and penetrate more on heave game leaving at 3K instead of 3200. but I get your gist, if this the same Bud of yours that smacked that giant cape buff with a 416 and barnes TSX?

Poster child, yeah, for old fat white men melting in 41C African heat at 10 miles per day. grin
Different bud.

But this bud is signed up with van Rooyen for cape buff next year.

Reportedly PH loves the .416, prefers 400 gr. I’m not sure which bullet he likes, plenty of time to find out.

We’ll have him set up and ready by then.

DF
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 08/30/19
10-4, Thanks DF, I have the lowly 400gr partitions at 2400 fps in the only 416 I have left, I still don't think that would buff out.
We gonna wait and see which bullet. Will play with the 350 gr. Speer in the mean time, let him get used to the gun, which BTW, turned out pretty nice.

The other bud killed his big buff in Zim with a Ruger RSM in .416 Rigby, 400 gr. TSX. His PH packed a .416 Rem push feed M-70, loaded with that same bullet. When asked what he thought of the RSM, the PH said it was a nice rifle, just too heavy. I'm thinking the PH reasoned that he packed it a lot more than he shot it. I know PF is not cool, but that PH thought it was Kosher.

Second bud's .416 Rem is an old push feed M-70 converted from .264 WM to .416 Rem by David Christman, gunmaker. David did a great job, put 2 cross pins in the stock. I then Steel Bedded the action, torqued the front screw to 40 inch pounds, less on the rear. I don't think it's going anywhere. Have the Trijicon 1-6x24 in Talley steel QD's without the levers (no irons).

The scope was picked up used, here on the Classifieds. It's an early model before they put that awful looking illumination dial on the ocular. Bud's getting used to seeing most of the barrel when it's on 1X. I dropped it off at his office to play with until I get some ammo loaded. Hogs better watch out...

DF
Posted By: duckster Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 09/20/19
I have been to Africa twice, once to Namibia and once to Zim. Used a .35 Whelen each time but the second rifle for our group of 2 was a .30-06. I would take the .30-06 and a good bullet and have a wonderful time!
Used a 30.06 on everything from Eland to zebra with great results. 180 grain Noslar Partitions for me but any good bullet should do well for you.
I would recommend 30-06 with 165 barnes (the JJHACK recipe) and a 200 yard zero as namibia has some wide open areas and I would be prepared to shoot to 300 yds. I've used this with great success.
Cascade, I think you're getting a bunch of bad advice littered with such words as "all you'll need", "practical", "works fine". I think it a conspiracy. Half the fun of a hunt is the anticipation, and even more fun with the opportunity that you'll need a new gun. You really do need a new gun, even if a duplicate cartridge. Whatever gun, hope you'll enjoy a good hunt. And share some pictures when done.
If a man ever needed an excuse for a new rifle, this would be a good one.

Great Loony advice... cool

DF
Posted By: ConradCA Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 11/13/19
Don’t forget to bring your snipe pod:

https://kramerdesignscorp.com/V2SnipePod.html
Posted By: 25epps Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 12/19/19
Cascade

My family hunted Namibia this year in August and September with Osombahe Nord safaris run and owned by Harold and Liezel.
My son used a 308Howa loaded it with 150gn accubonds and 140grain outer edge projectiles. He had no problems dropping game out to 200 yards, game he shot included a big Hartman zebra and Oryx. My son Jirrah is almost 15 and aquitted himself well.
I used a Stevens 200rebarreled to 35Whelan loaded with 225gn accubonds and woodleigh projectiles at 2,900fps nothing walked away from it. Game included Hartman zebra and Oryx as well as black wildebeest (poor man's buffalo).
In hindsight the 308 would have been plenty but as I had the Whelan built for Africa it had to go too.
We experienced no problems traveling with the rifles and ammo from oz to Namibia.
Great trip fantastic hosts unreal game. Take your favorite suitable rifle and enjoy.
Listen to your PH and guide on bullet placement and learn to shoot off sticks beforehand and what you shoot should be going home with you.

The most important thing I can tell you is they are your trophies to be proud of. Some may shoot bigger but they ain't yours. My 52inches of kudu will get pride of place in my home. It may not be the big 58 inches of others but it is MINE and I had to work for him. Just wish I could upload photos for everyone.
Posted By: 25epps Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 12/19/19
Some of the game my son shot

Attached picture FB_IMG_1574818111344.jpg
Attached picture FB_IMG_1574818097708.jpg
Posted By: wbm Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 12/24/19

I am more thankful that the Lord also doth not desire that people remain ignorant.
"For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant....lest ye should be wise in your own conceits;" Romans 11:25

"Over promise always results in under delivery." Some Greek
Sage

So in the case of the 6.5 Creedmoor you have some overly
optimistic and often misleading claims, backed by hype from gun writers,
that eventually prove to be unfounded or untrue.

(Remember the Creedmoor was built as a
competition round not a hunting round and did not live up to
expectations since cartridges such as the 6mm Dasher remained a "better
mouse trap". IMO)

Given that you have a 6.5 CM group that has over promised how
should one respond to that.

Well there are two ways to respond to that, three actually.

Choice One. You can say the 6.5 Creedmoor is a terrible cartridge
that does not do anything above any other and "I wouldn't
have one!" etc. etc. (Hard to believe the hatred for this cartridge. Some
become absolutely unglued over it... like the Dems for Trump.)

Choice Two. You can say the 6.5 Creedmoor does not fulfill all that
was claimed for it but does have some redeeming characteristics that
may be worth investigating.

Now I think we can all agree that Choice One folks, in response to Choice Two folks,
have a rabid almost hysterical following on social media.They are often so biased in
their hatred for the little guy that they refuse all claims of any praise for it and wait in the bushes to
ambush any who claim to admire the little six five.

How odd that and how human.

As reasoning adults we should know that there are three kinds of ignorance,
(well most of us anyway)
Normal, Willful, and Terminal.
Normal can be fixed by the acquisition of knowledge. Willful is a choice made
despite knowledge to the contrary and Terminal is the end result of Willful.
Terminal... like stupid...can't be fixed.

Perhaps a lesson in history would make the 6.5 CM be a bit less threatening
and a bit more capable than some would think or desire. Let's consider
Africa as an example. Lot's of very big game and lot's of hunters over lot's
of decades and lot's of 6.5's and 7mm's about.

Lesson1: Enter the 6.5mmx54 mm Mannlicher-Schoenauer in Africa.

https://www.africahunting.com/threads/walter-d-m-bell-aka-karamojo-bell.3161/
https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2015/5/15/handloading-the-65x54-mm-mannlicher-schoenauer/
https://www.outdoorlife.com/photos/gallery/hunting/2012/02/shooting-65-creedmoor-african-safari/

Lesson2: Now it should have become apparent that the 6.5mmx54 was very capable as a hunting cartridge
in Africa up to and including elephants. Furthermore it should have become apparent that the 6.5 Creedmoor is
superior to the 6.5x54 in every ballistic category. You can check that out on your own. If you decide otherwise,
consider getting help with cognition or glasses.

Now. Would I take a 6.5 Creedmoor to Africa. Of course not! Why? Many countries have
7mm as minimum bore size and there are much better cartridge choices available...but that does
not make the 6.5 Creedmoor not enough gun for plains game. To persist in that opinion would
probably give evidence of...well...something Terminal.

Posted By: 25epps Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 07/27/20
Mule deer
My son used a Howa 308 with 150grain accubonds for all his plains game. Loaded to 2,900 fps with Hogdon CFE223. 10 animals 12 shots from impala to Hartman zebra and Oryx.
I used my 35 Whelen with 225 grain accubonds and woodleigh 225 grain PPSP @ 2,950fps with a healthy dose of cfe223 and shot my Oryx with a 250 grain Speer hotcore at 2,700fps and cfe223 using Speer reloading site.
In hindsight the plain old 308 would have been enough but I had my Whelen built just for Namibia.
Bob Nelson
Dirt farmer
Your impala is the exact copy of mine right down to the beautiful lyre shaped horns. I wish I could post a photo of mine to show you
Mine went 24 inches even on both sides
Bob Nelson [img]http://[/img]

Attached picture FB_IMG_1574818123707.jpg
Dirt farmer
A 35 Whelen with a 225 grain accubond @close on 2,900fps is deadly on plains game as well. Hit my black wildebeest at around 180 yards quatrtering away, left a golf ball size exit hole in the offside shoulder. He ran 20 yards and nose dived.
I love the 7mm but the 35 leaves a bigger hole
Bob
Posted By: Cascade Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 08/01/20
Well, I went ahead and booked, but with Mike Birch in South Africa instead of Namibia.

Thanks for all the great advice on rifles, cartridges, bullets, scopes and more. smile

Hunt will be about a year from now. Emphasis on gemsbok.

Still not sure which of my rifles will make the trip, but feeling really good about a couple of them. They've done well here, why not there as well?

Thanks all!

Guy
Posted By: Sako76 Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 08/02/20
I used a Kimber Montana in 7-08 and 120 Barnes TTSX to take warthog, impala and blesbuck, all one shot kills. I used a Sako A7S in 270 Winchester and Sako factory 156 Hammerheads to take my Kudu and Gemsbok, both dropped at the shot but both needed finishers. Most of the group that I was hunting with were using 30-06's and did well. My partner used a Winchester Featherweight in 270 and 150 grain bullets, I don't remember the flavor. If I go again, I will take a pair of Nosler Outfitters in 35 Whelen and 30-06 both shooting 180 grain bullets. Good luck.

Thanks, Guy

If you take the .30/06, you will be hunting with a friend.
That means you will not waste concentration on how it performs and your total attention with be on the animal you are targeting and that is the way your hunt should be prioritized.
Posted By: duckster Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 08/18/20
Your .30-06 will work dandy. Pick a premium bullet that it shoot the best and go! I have been twice to Africa, both times with a .35 Whelen and 225 grain bullets. First trip with TBBC and the second with Nosler Partitions.
Posted By: EdMehlig Re: Plains Game rifle choice - 09/15/20
Your 30-06 is more than enough to harvest the game animals you are after. I went there 3 years ago with my 280Rem shooting Nosler 150gr TEZ bullets and my Kudu and Zebra both taken at about 230 yards went only a few yards. My Impala dropped on the spot. In fact the outfitter lets hunters use his 30-06 so they don't have to deal with customs etc. etc. So that should answer your question.
© 24hourcampfire