Home
Gentlemen, I just received my video from our Zimbabwe safari this past August. Words cannot express how impressed I am with this.

The HD quality of this video is simply outstanding. There is footage of all the hunting, all the shooting, and the standard trophy shots... but what really makes this a gem is the footage of all the scenery, wildlife, and the human interactions that really make a hunting trip a hunt.

Rayno Egner of Dark Continent Video Productions was our photographer/videographer on our safari. He was with us for the entire 10 days, and every second of video on the final product was shot during our hunt. There spectacular sunrises and sunsets on the video were each shot on the day depicted. The land and the people of Zimbabwe were beautifully depicted. (This video footage, by the way, was in addition to the over 1500 still photographs Rayno shot on the hunt!)

I declined hiring Rayno for my 2015 hunt, and I've regretted it ever since. Having him come along for the 2019 safari was worth every penny. Yes, it's roughly the price of an eland trophy fee, but in my view it's a bargain.

So, fellas... if you are planning an African safari this year or next and you've wondered about hiring a videographer, I strongly recommend you contact Rayno or Kerry at DCVP. They will be at the DSC show next week, so if you're attending, check in with them. My video will be on display (God knows why, I'm sure they have younger and better-looking hunters on film to show ya!) so you can check it out then. Also: any of you deplorables who want to see my video, send me a PM, and I'll give you the link to view it online.
I will second Rayno and his outfit. I know a few folks who've used Rayno and the results are nothing less than spectacular. Just watched it and Doc, you should be in movies! smile
Jorge, yer so fulla scheit yer eyes are brown. I kept looking at the screen and thinking, "Who is that fat old bastard?" If I'd known I was gonna look this bad at 65 I'd have gone to Africa 30 years ago when I was still good lookin...
The wife says you're handsome, so there you go.... Edit and my eyes ARE brown smile
Well, if the wife says I'm handsome, it must be so!!
Where can I see this Doc?
Check your FB messages, Tom...
OK...got it, watched the whole thing! I wish hunting shows were that well filmed and put together! It was ABSOLUTELY EXCELLENT! Whatever you paid that videographer was worth it!

Tugged at my heart strings and made me miss Africa.....
Great video thanks for sharing now I want to go! Kurt

What were your calibers and loads, please? Thanks
Thanks, ingwe... I was astonished at the quality of Rayno's work when I saw it at his DSC booth a few years ago, and that was part of my decision making when I decided to hire him for this trip. I'm glad it touched your heart. It sure does touch mine!
Kurt, the loads are pretty ordinary.

Cate's rifle is a Howa Mountain Rifle in 6.5mm Creedmoor. I've not found anything more accurate in it than Hornady's factory ELD-X 143 gr load, so that's what we took. As you saw, it is capable of killing decent sized game such as Zebra. I wouldn't hesitate to use it on anything in North America other than bison and the great bears.

My rifle is a Kimber Caprivi 375 H&H that I bought from Darrick at Whittaker's Guns in 2014. It's become my favorite rifle, although it's a tad too big to carry around for the jackrabbit-size deer we have here in south Texas. My Africa load is a 300 gr Swift A-Frame over enough IMR 4895 to push it along at 2500 fps. I don't recall the exact powder charge and I'm not at home to look it up. In North America, I use the same powder charge under a 300 gr SGK for excellent terminal performance on everything from hogs to nilgai.
Doc the .375 load sounds familiar.....
Originally Posted by ingwe
OK...got it, watched the whole thing! I wish hunting shows were that well filmed and put together! It was ABSOLUTELY EXCELLENT! Whatever you paid that videographer was worth it!

Heart strings you say....I had no idea that little black marbles had strings on them.
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide

Heart strings you say....I had no idea that little black marbles had strings on them.

That was mean.
Doc the .375 load sounds familiar.....

Hmmm... wonder why that would be...

That was mean.

I value my friends, who speak only the truth..thought you might as well.

That was mean.

I value my friends, who speak only the truth..thought you might as well.

My heart is not like a little black marble!

It IS black...like my soul......buttttt....... laugh
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Gentlemen, I just received my video from our Zimbabwe safari this past August. Words cannot express how impressed I am with this.

The HD quality of this video is simply outstanding. There is footage of all the hunting, all the shooting, and the standard trophy shots... but what really makes this a gem is the footage of all the scenery, wildlife, and the human interactions that really make a hunting trip a hunt.

Rayno Egner of Dark Continent Video Productions was our photographer/videographer on our safari. He was with us for the entire 10 days, and every second of video on the final product was shot during our hunt. There spectacular sunrises and sunsets on the video were each shot on the day depicted. The land and the people of Zimbabwe were beautifully depicted. (This video footage, by the way, was in addition to the over 1500 still photographs Rayno shot on the hunt!)

I declined hiring Rayno for my 2015 hunt, and I've regretted it ever since. Having him come along for the 2019 safari was worth every penny. Yes, it's roughly the price of an eland trophy fee, but in my view it's a bargain.

So, fellas... if you are planning an African safari this year or next and you've wondered about hiring a videographer, I strongly recommend you contact Rayno or Kerry at DCVP. They will be at the DSC show next week, so if you're attending, check in with them. My video will be on display (God knows why, I'm sure they have younger and better-looking hunters on film to show ya!) so you can check it out then. Also: any of you deplorables who want to see my video, send me a PM, and I'll give you the link to view it online.

It was Well worth the production price, good production value and a fun video.
James,

Will you be in Dallas this week? Tony and I are headed there Fri/Sat as he heads back for his last semester at A&M on Sunday.
Not this time, Ed... my wife has a work event that I had promised to go to before I realized it's scheduled for the same weekend as DSC. Hate to miss it, but I have to keep my promise to Cate.
Thanks for sharing this Doc! It is awesome in all respects.
DR,

Great video! The narration by the principals adds a lot to the production. Better than most ‘Africa TV show’ videos.
fgold767, you're welcome. Thanks for watching!
WC264, thanks for the kind words. Rayno had us improvise narration from the opening gate, and since it never occurred to me to have any remarks prepared ahead of time, what you got what was what running through my alleged brain at the time.
Maybe now that DSC is over, I will find time to watch.

John and I both missed seeing you and Cate at the booth.

Hope to see you next year!

Tim
PM sent.
Looking forward to watching the video.
Ed
Originally Posted by Tarbe
Maybe now that DSC is over, I will find time to watch.

John and I both missed seeing you and Cate at the booth.

Hope to see you next year!

Tim

Tim, it was reaaaaaalllllly hard for me to not be at DSC this year. We will definitely be there again next year!
Thank you so much for the link. I really enjoyed the video. Extremely well made!
Good hunting,
Ed
© 24hourcampfire