Home
Posted By: SamOlson High Mileage Ford 6.7 diesel? - 06/18/20
Any reason to stay away from a 2015 F350 with 150k miles?

Local TV/Internet company pickup. They take good care of their stuff and they get used lightly.

The price seems right, $19k.

Any issues or anything to be afraid of with 150k on a 6.7?

How many miles before you start dumping money into one?
Jeebus....talk about click bait.

I thought you said high mileage!

Fugging high stepper!
$20k for a truck with 150,000 miles...jebuss!

Considering what they are new, I’m sure it’s a fair price, but again, jebuss!
Fun word, jebuss!
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Any reason to stay away from a 2015 F350 with 150k miles?

Local TV/Internet company pickup. They take good care of their stuff and they get used lightly.

The price seems right, $19k.

Any issues or anything to be afraid of with 150k on a 6.7?

How many miles before you start dumping money into one?

The 6,7 Ford is actually a pretty decent engine, significantly better than the 6.4 or 6.0............I'm in the business of making aftermarket internal engine components, rings pistons, bearings, etc.

But it's nearly 6 model years old & at a mileage where things begin to go bad, even if the engine is good, & it would be a cold day in hell when I'd pay that kind of money for a truck that old with that mileage, regardless of whether or not it is near market guidelines, but YMMV.

A lot depends on how it's been used as well.

MM
You know how work pickups go, it ain't about the miles it's about the hours....
(I should check the hour meter on this one)

Our 2004 has 110k and it is FUBAR.

This 2015 looks new. $19k seems like a good deal, about $40k cheaper than a new one!

I just hate to stick a new bale bed on a pickup with 150k miles but maybe they're good for 250k?
Well, if the last one is fubar at 110k , I’d worry about one with a big head start. Even if it is “highway miles”.

But what’s the option? $60k for a new one?
$40k can make a lot of repairs.

Don’t know how depreciation and tax might work out?

I say buy a new big boy Ford gasser with the 10spd and give us a report!

It’s only (your) money after all!
Mooner, I'm really only worried about the engine. The rest of the pickup should be fine.

Pretty much the opposite of what happens to our feed pickups.

In that case the 'drivetrain' falls apart around the engine. Our 2011 runs great but the drievtrain(u-joints, etc..) is starting to show major wear at 90k.

Given the LIGHT use these TV pickups see I'm considering the drivetrain to be pretty much new. If that makes sense.

EASY highway miles on these things.
150,000 miles on a 6.7 wouldn't spook me in the least.
Bunch of people I know have 250,000 plus with no issues.
$19,000 I'd put a hydrabed on it and run it til the wheels fell off.

After the 6.0/6.4 train wreck Ford finally has it figured out.
Last ones I had/have are 7.3's but as good as they were, the 6.7 may be/probably are, better.

Originally Posted by MadMooner
I say buy a new big boy Ford gasser with the 10spd and give us a report!

It’s only (your) money after all!

The Corona influenced cattle market blew that idea out of the water.....

That and I want a newer swather!
I’d think you’d be better off letting “the ranch” buy a new one, and having your accountant write down the depreciation.

A new Dodge diesel (stripper) is $45k down here. I’ll pay half price for a vehicle if I think it has MORE than half its’ life left, but you’re talking about almost half price for a vehicle that is 3/5 used up (150k out of 250k).

I just picked up a 2010 Toyota Sequoia for $12,900. It’s got 135k on it. Figure it can go 250-300k. So, I paid 1/4 of new price, for a vehicle with maybe 1/2 of its’ life left.

You’re not getting a BAD price, it’s just that diesels are so darn expensive to work on these days, that I’m leery of high mileage ones, unless they’re a steal...
You can get in a new gasser for under $40k Sam. Then you can do all the tearing up yourself.

I’ve been with my current company for going on 2 years now and we have a decent sized fleet of pickups. After observing how they get driven and treated a fleet rig is not in my future, ever. Lots of flogging goes on in between those oil changes.
Originally Posted by jackmountain

That's the kind of info I'm looking for, thanks Jack.

That engine has been around for 10 years so there should be some real high milers out there.
Check the crankcase pressure with a manometer

It’ll tell you if any rings are shot

( I’m not a diesel mechanic)
My 2012 has been in for the following (all covered under warranty)
-EGR cooler replaced
-primary radiator leak where the plastic inlet tubes are crimped to the metal radiator. Bad design
-A/C condenser developed a leak
- Front driver side hub bearings froze

I’m at 97k on it.

That's the kind of info I'm looking for, thanks Jack.

That engine has been around for 10 years so there should be some real high milers out there.

There's a pile of them with 350,000 plus in hotshot rigs around here. Mostly f450&550's. Big difference between highway hotshot miles vs. farm truck miles though I know.

Like you said earlier, only thing I worry about is the hour meter. Mileage doesn't tell the tale on a fleet diesel truck.
I have a Navistar 7.3 in an international dump that has 290,000 miles but has 9,500 hours on it. That's the one that taught me what to look for.
From what I hear....the 6.7 is a great engine.

I say go for it....unless the previous owner was a smoker.........
290,000 miles and 9500 hours?

I bought an oilfield pickup once with those hours and 137,000 miles.
The 6.7 Diesel is one of the best engines to ever be put in a pickup.

I wouldn’t be afraid of it with that kind of miles. I say go for it Sam. Sounds like a heck of a deal.
Tuner?
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Tuner?

Hell yes! At least he want have to worry about voiding the warranty.
Buy a Cummins
Originally Posted by hunter4623
-EGR cooler replaced
-primary radiator leak where the plastic inlet tubes are crimped to the metal radiator. Bad design

I’m at 97k on it.

Would have thought the EGR coolers would be better by 2012.

2080 work hours/year = 4.5 years @ 9500 hrs.
137,000 miles ÷ 30,000/year = 4.5 years so true, guess that ain't that bad.
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
Originally Posted by hunter4623
-EGR cooler replaced

I’m at 97k on it.

Would have thought the EGR coolers would be better by 2012.

Me too. That was replaced at 44k. I don’t remember if that was a recall or found thru diagnosis of an idiot light.

Worked inland barge drilling rigs.

Wireline crews came out on a barge. Load trucks on barge.

Trucks idled nonstop. Sometimes a couple 3 days. Hands would sleep in them.

I had an old ‘96 f350. Flatbed farm truck. Wasnt pretty too look at. 287k miles. Standard. It would roll!
My 2012 FX4 6.7 diesel 160,000 miles

Complete AC replacement last year (common problem)
Changed all body to frame bushings (common problem)
Front rightt wheel bearing

Engine has been pretty solid, one issue under warranty several years ago with the turbo, nothing major

A buddy has a 2013 FX4 diesel with 200,000 miles. Just changed his AC. Engine has been solid.
Here's my take, for what it's worth: 150K, mostly highway miles, on a 6.7 Ford would be acceptable. This truck is a work truck and probably has lots of short trips around town, which could cause issues in the future.

The EPA has really screwed the American public and made diesels almost unusable for the average American slob. All the mandated EPA equipment causes nothing but problems and, personally, there's no way in hell I'd own an out of warranty diesel unless all that emissions crap was ripped out. There's also the issue of the CP3 vs. the newer CP4 injection pump. By all accounts, the CP4 is a POS and replacement costs thousands - I've read many horror stories. I believe the '15 6.7 has the CP3, but I'd look into that to confirm.

Then there's the price. I agree that 19K is a great price, which is enticing. I've wanted to get a diesel for a long time. Cummins can't be beat, but the truck that's wrapped around it leaves much to be desired. The Ford 6.7 is a much better diesel than either the 6.0 or the 6.4, as stated, but the 6.7 is a very complicated engine compared to the Cummins, which translates into very expensive repairs. I won't even consider a G'ovt Motors Duramax. So what's a fella to do? Well, I'll tell you what I would do if I had the cash: Purchase a '78 Ford F250 Crew Cab and bolt a built 450 HP Cummins 12-Valve into that puppy!

Good luck w/ yer decision.
Sam, did it come as chassis only? They are seriously detuned.

A good friend has a ‘15 F350 straight axle with about the same miles. It’s a beast. Don’t think he’s had any trouble and it’s been used as a work/farm/4 horse slant puller it’s whole life. His 15 year old daughter drives it now.

My friend is a 7.3 Powerstroke junkie and he thinks the 6.7 is a way better motor. ‘15 is the year they also jumped the HP and torque ratings.

The price seems right. I see the 6.7 holding value like the old 7.3

Do you the think the TV company would still have the service records on it to look at?
Originally Posted by High_Noon
there's no way in hell I'd own an out of warranty diesel unless all that emissions crap was ripped out.

I'm gonna check and see if that's still legal.......

Turns awesome into AWESOME.

Just thought of this, check to see how dirty the radiators are. All 4(or 5?).

Stacked in a row.

AKA pain in the ass to clean.
I'm gonna check and see if that's still legal.......

Turns awesome into AWESOME.

It's not exactly a question of if it's legal, it's more a question of do they conduct emissions testing when you have your yearly inspection. They don't here in Texas, on heavy-duty trucks, so for all intents and purposes, it's "legal." Emissions related repairs cost big money and they are the main source of problems with these late-model diesels.

But you're correct, ripping the EPA emissions crap out does indeed turn these diesels into beasts. These infernal EPA Emission Controls hamper reliability, mileage and power. They are good for nothing - just endless regulation which increases costs substantially for the avg. American slob.

I drove a few late model deleted (emission controls removed) Ram Cummins trucks that had tuners, chips and exhausts and they were absolute beasts. I was VERY impressed and I'm not easily impressed these days.

If you do go the delete route, be aware that you'll probably blow the transmission at some point. Stock transmissions were not designed to handle that kind of serious power. You'll have to get a built transmission or gearbox specifically designed to handle big horsepower (500+ HP) and that ain't cheap. You also have to make sure that you're tuned correctly and not "rollin' coal" and blowin' black smoke all over Tarnation - you don't want that kind of negative attention - either from environmental wack jobs, who will turn you in, or the law. I imagine you'll be using this as a work truck on your farm, so that probably won't be an issue for you.
No tests here.

Bunch of deleted 6.7's running around.

150k on anything is gamble I guess.
150k on anything is gamble I guess.

Yessir. You pays yer money and you take yer chances. But you can minimize that by reviewing all the documentation and making sure that it's been well maintained. Also a good idea to have a pre-purchase inspection by an experienced diesel guy if you're not able to do a thorough inspection job yourself.
Originally Posted by High_Noon

If you do go the delete route, be aware that you'll probably blow the transmission at some point. Stock transmissions were not designed to handle that kind of serious power. You'll have to get a built transmission or gearbox specifically designed to handle big horsepower (500+ HP) and that ain't cheap. I imagine you'll be using this as a work truck on your farm, so that probably won't be an issue for you.

Yes but stay close to stock tune and the trans will hopefully hold up.

We(the farm) bought a used 6.4 bale bed that was turned way up and it ate a transmission and rear end before we traded it off.

Crazy power while it lasted.

I don't think Sam makes enough to worry about writeoffs on a new toy.

So a good 6.7 is worth a look. It's way better than a 6.0, which is a gutless mungmobile. I've been impressed with the way the 6.7 runs on the highway, decent mileage and plenty of passing power for what is basically a road locomotive. If it's been kept lubed and filtered, not washboarded to death, it should be barely broken in for farm work --
$19,000 I'd put a hydrabed on it and run it til the wheels fell off.

After the 6.0/6.4 train wreck Ford finally has it figured out.
Last ones I had/have are 7.3's but as good as they were, the 6.7 may be/probably are, better.

What's a hydrabed? All I can find on google is the Hydrabed, a ship that sank off New Zealand in the 19th century.
Bale feeding bed.

Hydraulic powered.

That - especially if the maintenance records speak well of the owner... Hopefully they also paid attention to the front end re: tie rod bushings and steering dampener.. Last - see if they'll let you drive it and get it warm enough to drop an oil sample and send off to Blackstone for an oil test.. If that comes back with a clean bill of health I think you'd have a good machine..

I just hate to stick a new bale bed on a pickup with 150k miles but maybe they're good for 250k?

As long as it's been maintained, the truck should be fine.

Don't worry about the bale bed. You can put it on 3-4 more trucks after you wear this one out... wink
I've been looking at the new 2020 6.7 with 10 speed. Supposedly it make a huge difference. A couple of my buddies are diesel mechanics, and they love the Ford 6.7 engine. The problem is price. I just cant make myself spend $60k on a truck. That's what a XLT goes for around my neck of the woods.
I wouldn't be worried in the least about buying a truck with 150k miles on it. Why anyone would need to add a tunner to a new truck is beyond my comprehension. I can see using a tunner to delete emission codes for a delete. The 7.3 and 6.0 need to be tuned to pull and pass but all the newer diesel trucks have plenty of power. IMO
I have an '11 6.7L F-250 w/167K. The "auto" function of the front hubs quit working as there was a vacuum leak. Tracked that down to passenger-side front hub. Had the upper/lower ball joints done and the vacuum leaking front hub required an all new lockout, apparently it came out in pieces. Driver's side was good and got new O-rings, both corners got new U-joints, alignment, $2100.

I have owned the truck since 100Mi. Got a new radiator and EGR valve under warrantee @ 80K and 90K give or take. My AC will still freeze you out. Brakes right around 100K. My idle time stays a pretty steady 21% of total engine hours. I changed every fluid the truck has as well as the serpentine belt @ 130K. 5K mi oil changes, 10K Mi fuel filter changes. Engine and transmission run like new.

You can check idle hours, and I would. Exhaust-related issues are the only you're likely to encounter and idling is a good indicator.
the problem isn't the engine per se, its all the complex systems around it. DEF system, regen system. EGR system, just look under the hood, the space shuttle was less complex. All those systems are expensive to fix. just a bunch of crap to go wrong, the mileage is right at the point where you will start seeing issues with these things.

The EPA put me out of the diesel truck driving and owning experience. while it hasn't been like this lately. diesel was running as much as $1/gallon more than gas. I have to ask do you need diesel for heavy loads. unless you need the load capacity there is not need to own a diesel truck anymore IMO. my ecoboost f150's will pull a #6000 trailer over the major mountain grade in my area actually faster than my 2011 6.7 PSD would. what I am saying is ecoboost is going to pull the crap out of loads up to its max weight, I am only buying a superduty if I pull loads over 8000# on a routine basis. I have towed 12k a couple times with my f150 ecoboots and power was never the issue. weight and suspension yeah, but not power.
My biggest issue with the 6.7 is the high pressure fuel system. If you aren't careful with fuel quality and maintenance it can get very expensive.
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
My biggest issue with the 6.7 is the high pressure fuel system. If you aren't careful with fuel quality and maintenance it can get very expensive.

Isn’t that the case for all of the “Big 3”?
Originally Posted by horse1

Yes, my 18 RAM came with a double filter/water separator from the factory. Water in the fuel will kill these newer injectors.
I have an '11 6.7L F-250 w/167K. The "auto" function of the front hubs quit working as there was a vacuum leak.
Ford still has problems with those.. Especially in very cold weather..
Does the radio work?

I thought one of them still used the CP3 instead of the CP4, but honestly don't keep up with the new ones. My next one will likely be a gasser.

I thought one of them still used the CP3 instead of the CP4, but honestly don't keep up with the new ones. My next one will likely be a gasser.

Unfortunately for 2019 Cummins is using the CP4, and the failure rate has spiked. GM apparently ditched the CP4 in favor of a Denso pump because of the high failure rate. The CP3 is no longer.
Originally Posted by badger

Unfortunately for 2019 Cummins is using the CP4, and the failure rate has spiked. GM apparently ditched the CP4 in favor of a Denso pump because of the high failure rate. The CP3 is no longer.

however , if you buy a 2018 Cummins or older , you still get the CP3 pump and its much better track record

which makes it my choice if I needed a late model diesel at this time.........
We had a little rain shower this morning so good time to go bug the local Ford dealer.

Got the keys, took it for a 20 mile spin down the road and it drove like a new pickup. 1700-180RPM and 70mph, 2k makes 80mph. 16 mpg according to the computer, little faster gears than I'd like but close enough.

Newer tires(Falken Wild Peak A./T's), batteries are from 10/18, maintenance maintained. The company guy that drove it for work was going to buy it back for his teenage son but the kid wanted a crew cab. That was the story anyway.

Looking at it I'd say it has 30-40k miles. Clean engine and underneath looks new. Cab is nice, vinyl floor.

Made an uber deal, I think we stole that thing.

Heads to Chinook next week for a new Hydra.

(if you're still with me...)

This one has 150k miles and 3897 hours, 900 of those idle hours.

Our '11 bale bed has 90k miles and 5615 hours, 2257 idle.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
All it really needs is the bed, a bumper grill guard, delete and maybe a set of 'running boards'.

Tires are in way better shape than the ones on my daily driver. Looks like a decent tread pattern.
What are you doing with the old pick up
Congrats on the new ride Sam.
Ben, we traded it in on this one.

That was the best part of the deal.

And the dealer has full knowledge about all the issues. We told him and his shop guys know all about it.

I think he was just doing us a favor, great guy to deal with.

But the shop side of it makes good money when they break down so....

Gringo, never thought I'd be so happy to be getting a 'new' pickup with 150k miles on it!
Nice looking rig Sam!! About the exact match of my buddy's. Put you a Ranch Hand guard on it and you'll be plowing through everything.
Heeler, I'm gonna research the grill guards some more and hopefully find something that doesn't stick out too much on the bumper.
Great looking truck Sam. I bet it runs like a song for many years.

Congrats.
This is what he has. It is actually a bumper replacement.
https://www.ranchhand.com/front-bumper-fbf111blr.html
Congratulations on the new truck. Looks like a good one.
Taylor gonna sell a new bed next week Sam?

Good time to get a bed installed.

Congrats.
I like me some waffles, a stick of butter, and Aunt Jemima’s. I’ve had two heart surgeries. Not sure why...
I put 280K hard oilfield miles on a 2011 6.7. It never failed me. You’ll get a lot of good years outta that one.
Our truck that we pull trailers with, and use around here on the farm, is an 03 F-350 with the hated 6.0. It has 287,000 miles on it, and has given us pretty good service.
Sam, show us photos when you get that bale bed set up on there! smile
The new Hydra Beds have pimp lights in the headache.
Originally Posted by Heeler
This is what he has. It is actually a bumper replacement.
https://www.ranchhand.com/front-bumper-fbf111blr.html

That'll work. 289 lbs. Hefty.
We just left Glasgow a while ago.

If Sam would take an hour off once in a while....I coulda driven his pickup over west for him for not a lot of money.
We just left Glasgow a while ago.

If Sam would take an hour off once in a while....I coulda driven his pickup over west for him for not a lot of money.

Define "not a lot of money"...

grin
Well, we could negotiate some......
Well chit....

Drive it back from Chinook!

Buy ya a tall can of Bud and an Amtrak ticket to get you back home.
You drive a hard bargain........but okay!
I should run that by the boss before I commit.

I might get lost.
© 24hourcampfire