Home
I was out in rural Cass County about 30 miles southwest of Omaha this morning looking at some grain handling augers. On the way home via NE-66 the biggest bobcat that I've ever seen ran across the road just ahead of me. I guess that I'll have to see about asking for permission to trespass and hunt for it next winter.
I like calling a truly big cat.

Most I've called were 25-30 lbs. But I shot one that was a toad at 43 pounds.

Was a tad worried after I got up to it that it may be a lynx... eek But it was pure bobcat, thank goodness. smile

Go get him!
Biggest bobcat I've killed here weighed 24 pounds. For years the local game and fish club has given out awards for the biggest or highest scoring animals and fish taken that year. I've never seen a winning bobcat go over 25 pounds. I've seen a cat or two that I thought was larger than that, but as of now have yet to take one.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Was a tad worried after I got up to it that it may be a lynx... eek But it was pure bobcat, thank goodness. smile

Go get him!

I thought Lynx were purely a USA/Canada border and North affair. Do they wander that far S or do you have a resident population?
Originally Posted by horse1

Go get him!

I thought Lynx were purely a USA/Canada border and North affair. Do they wander that far S or do you have a resident population?

Was in NM at the time. They are protected there.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/hunting/information-by-animal/furbearers/
this one jumped right out of his skin when he saw me.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I had one do that also, sometime back around the late '80's.
I seen one while riding offroad on my motorcycle this weekend. It ran down the trail for a while and then it ran in the woods beside the trail. I seen it a second time crossing a road several miles away.
For Charlie...

My wife called a nice one in while we were having sex in a tent. Not sure how that works for hunting, but the cat obviously thought something that screeched like that was in trouble...
Saw a gray fox yesterday that was almost all coal black. It was sitting on a trail, and at first, black fur made me think bear cub because we were in premium bear woods. Really stunning phase. My lab like the scent.
Originally Posted by Terryk
Saw a gray fox yesterday that was almost all coal black. It was sitting on a trail, and at first, black fur made me think bear cub because we were in premium bear woods. Really stunning phase. My lab like the scent.
saw one earlier on a dining room table.
Originally Posted by FatCity67
For Charlie...

Thanks!

Sure miss that old codger!
So do I KW.

Go get him!

In 1971 I shot the biggest bobcat I had ever seen near Pearsall one morning that weighed 45 lbs. It was so big I was sure it had to be a new record for Texas bobcats but if I remember right the record at the time was 68 lbs.
The biggest 'cat that I've shot was 34 lbs and this one looked a lot bigger. It was so big that it took a moment to register what it was when I saw it.
Originally Posted by horse1

Go get him!

Was in NM at the time. They are protected there.

http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/hunting/information-by-animal/furbearers/

I heard Jerry Clower talk about a Lynx in a tree in MIssissippi in one of his skits but I figured it was to get extra laughs, not that they actually lived that far south.
Canadian Lynx look way bigger than American Bobcats—but they aren’t. Lynx have much larger feet—are much longer in the back legs and the hair is also much longer. I see houndsmen in Wisconsin and Minnesota with pictures of Bobcats over 40 lbs pretty regular. I was with some boys who weighed one in Cornocopia, Wisconsin that hit 43lbs.
Locally we don’t have many bobcat but lynx are numerous. I skinned one last winter I thought was the biggest I’ve handled. It stretched 51 inches from nose to tail on the board.—It weighed 27lbs and I’ve never seen one go over 30.
Originally Posted by victoro

Go get him!

In 1971 I shot the biggest bobcat I had ever seen near Pearsall one morning that weighed 45 lbs. It was so big I was sure it had to be a new record for Texas bobcats but if I remember right the record at the time was 68 lbs.

WOW....a 40+/- lb bobcat is BIG.....68 lbs is one someone kept in a box and gave it all it could eat! That's crazy!
On my lease five or six years ago, had my nephew and his boy out there for the weekend. Saturday morning, and those two are sitting on the tailgate of a pickup parked in camp, flapping their gums while I was sitting in the shade of my camper with my laptop checking out the pics off my trail camera. The biggest bobcat I ever saw came sauntering through camp like he owned the place. It took me several seconds to believe my eyes and set the laptop down and unholster my 1911. By then he was moving with purpose and all four or five of my shots missed. I don't expect anything like that to ever happen again.
68 pounds would be dangerous if it were an African leopard.
amazing what a tiny buck pocket knife can do.
Originally Posted by stxhunter
this one jumped right out of his skin when he saw me.

amazing what a tiny buck pocket knife can do
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Originally Posted by FatCity67
For Charlie...

Thanks!

Sure miss that old codger!

Yep me too
Saw one this past year bow hunting. I heard a doe blowing and thought she'd winded me. Then a bobcat walked out of the woods into the food plot. Right behind him came a doe with a fawn. She was stomping and blowing and wanting a piece of his ass. He departed down the trail. Coolest thing I've seen in a while. Best thing was I got a cell phone video of it.

Ron
Originally Posted by benchman
My wife called a nice one in while we were having sex in a tent. Not sure how that works for hunting, but the cat obviously thought something that screeched like that was in trouble...

Sure!
I don't know or care if there's a limit on bobcats but I do know someone who shot 4 one afternoon while deer hunting last year. I doubt all 4 would of added up to 60 lbs, just another stinking varmint trying to make a living.
Originally Posted by benchman

I'd like to try that.
© 24hourcampfire