Home
Traded in our montana 374fl for a Grand Design Momentum 376th.
Don't wanna hear crap about a F350 srw isn't big enough, it ain't, so i bought a Volvo 610, single rear axle, set up for hauling a 5th wheel.
Retirement is just around the corner, and we have to be set, and ready to go.
Check these things out.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
His toy hauler behind what I bought.
My next door neighbor has giant double stack drag race car trailer and pulls it with a camper version of the tractor you bought.

Auto trans?

Uber camper you have there, nice!
Sweet. Congrats!
Very nice.....
It has a Detroit Diesel Series 60 12.7L, and a 10 speed Eaton Fuller trans.
512k miles.
Real nice condition.
Heck yeah, you’re ready to bug out 😃
Found a stash place for an AR pistol !
Gonna lead line it !
Real nice rig splatter'.......... cool smile
Wow, that's serious.
Congrats on a nice pkg., especially the tow vehicle. We wanted to go that route, single-out a Volvo 730 and put a work-bed over the drivers, only can’t justify one for warm weather use only.....and can’t get one in 4WD! memtb
Theater seating with heat, and massage.
Lots of blue lighting everywhere.
Bad azz hitch !
stripper pole?
Buy it to retire, and travel.
Let it sit, but care for it.
I have 2 years, 9 months, and 12 days !
We'll use both a few weekends a year, play in the driveway for movie night, keep the onan run a few times a month, and keep the tires covered.
You gonna have to run drivers logs with that truck?
Slumlord,
I'm not tellin.....
No.
It's titled as a motor home.
New Mexico, from what I read, has a non commercial class E license for combo vehicles over 26,001 pounds.
Haven't verified it, either way, no, and don't have to stop at scales.
I'm not commercial, just an old couple traveling, and enjoying fishing places, and what we have left of life !
The last purchase will be a CFMOTO Z Force 800, SxS for the garage !
File photo of garage.
Sweet! Wife and I have been watching this almost full time family through 9 seasons now..... worth a look if you have not seen it

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEhJLsShZt8McryMf_DHLZQ
Holy schit! U win the freakin' lottery?
Man!

That's nice!

So.... You're gonna be one of those old RVer's that we cuss for drivin' slow in the fast last lane!

laugh
Nice! My motto has always been - 'you can never have too much truck'... Happy camping!!!
Serious question. You are set up in a National Forest campground and forgot the eggs. How do you get to a grocery store on Forest Service Roads? The UTV is not street legal. You are in an urban area and you need a hose clamp. How do you get to the hardware store? In some states each county decides if ATV or UTV are legal to drive on roads.
Nice setup--
No Rockinbbar, I'm a truck driver now, and know your pain.
I will only do 65 or so, in the right lane.
I won't have to be anywhere, any time soon, and I'm not going to tear my stuff up.
No, didn't win the lottery.
Shop wisely, and find great deals.
The 5th wheel, is a 1 owner, used a few times, 2017 model. Like new, nothing wrong with it.
The semi is a 2000 with only 512k miles. The present owner, who is currently out driving it, downsized, and doesn't need such a big truck anymore.
He's currently near me, and is planning on going to Pagosa springs, Co. Thats close, so we may wait til then to do the deal.
Selling my 06 Hummer H2, and my Barrett 99, to help with more cash back in the bank.
Originally Posted by bobmn
Serious question. You are set up in a National Forest campground and forgot the eggs. How do you get to a grocery store on Forest Service Roads? The UTV is not street legal. You are in an urban area and you need a hose clamp. How do you get to the hardware store? In some states each county decides if ATV or UTV are legal to drive on roads.
That's always been my question when I see a 40' motorhome towing a boat.
bobmn,
If we are way out, and forgot eggs, we'll do with out.....
The SxS, is for fun, and will have a street legal kit, so we can drive it on the street, if need be. The Volvo, can be driven anytime we want.
The 5er has a built in 5500 onan that runs on gasoline. There is a filling station on the left, rear, side, for filling toys back up. It's 30 gallons, and feeds the onan too.
Built in "safety", doesn't allow the gas station to totally drain the tank, so there is gas left to run the onan.
Originally Posted by bobmn

That shouldn’t present a problem. During our short time as truck drivers, we “bobtailed” all over San Francisco..... no problem with the narrow streets and trolly cars. Though many may not find this possible, a Volvo tractor (class8), has a smaller turn radius that that of a long wheelbase, 4wd pickup truck! memtb
I see the UTV in the "garage"-how do you get out of the thing?
I'll have to take the roll cage off. Its 12 bolts. I'm thinking of using the included winch to tie the front down, and crawl over the back to get out, then strap down the rear. The roll cage and roof, can be stored in the garage, or the rear pass through storage.
Originally Posted by splattermatic
I won't have to be anywhere, any time soon, and I'm not going to tear my stuff up.

Exactly what I do - maintain 65 in the RH lane and ensure I have more than enough time to get to where I'm goin'... Just this last weekend, we took the trailer to a campground about 50+ miles away. Speed limit on this highway was 70, so just set the cruise on 65 and let everybody pass me who wanted...
Yep, and wave, with a big smile on your face, as they stare going by !
Originally Posted by Redneck
Nice! My motto has always been - 'you can never have too much truck'... Happy camping!!!

Well...he's got that one covered!! grin

Sweet set up!
Are you selling the red Ford with the 7.3?

Exactly what I do - maintain 65 in the RH lane and ensure I have more than enough time to get to where I'm goin'... Just this last weekend, we took the trailer to a campground about 50+ miles away. Speed limit on this highway was 70, so just set the cruise on 65 and let everybody pass me who wanted...

I did the same thing last year when I took my MIL's motorhome to FL with the family packed inside. Not familiar with the rig, family inside, constant friggin wind the ENTIRE way south. We took 'er easy and still got there an hour before we predicted.
That's an awfully nice diesel-powered electricity generator you bought to go with your 5th wheel.

And no, I don;t think it is "too much truck." When I was paid to do so, I would use equipment on the edge of its rating. With a family, I want PUH-LENTY of capacity left over when I hit the road.
No.
My red Ford is now the dedicated boat puller.
Very, very nice Splat! My folks have had a Grand Design for a few years and after a few teething issues it's been great. You can't go wrong with having too much truck when you hit the road full time.

We took the 5th wheel up to Pagosa last weekend for a 3-nighter. It was busier than I've ever seen it. I guess folks were tired of being cooped up because they were out in force. If we hadn't have left on Thursday it would have been difficult to find a spot in the national forest campgrounds (since they've eliminated many of the dispersed camping sites). By Friday afternoon everything was totally full and we still saw at least 15 people come through looking for a spot (and we were in the last campground).
Forgot to mention that with the scattered forest fires in the area, we had plenty of chances to watch these guys putting in some work:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Lordy, you guys have some beautiful stuff. Very interesting.
You brought enough truck, nice
I may be going to get the truck next weekend.
The seller thinks he found it's replacement.
Keeping my fingers crossed.
I may be going to get the truck next weekend.
The seller thinks he found it's replacement.
Keeping my fingers crossed.

serious question......does that kind of mileage bother you at all...…….bob
I had a friend buy one of those trucks to haul a 40' stock trailer with living quarters around to cowboy day work jobs. He'd get his crew of 4-5 cowboys, their horses, gear, and beer, and have a place to sleep on remote ranches they worked.

The deal breaker was the trucker checkpoints going from point A to point B. eek

Those places made him sell the rig ASAP. They would write him tickets, and then tell him to pull the rig over at the checkpoint until be came into DOT compliance...

Got pretty inconvenient with 4-5 horses to care for, lack of money because after all, he was just a cowboy, and missed deadlines and pissed off clients.
The mileage doesn't bother me at all.
My saying is: If you can afford to buy it, you can afford to feed it.
Or mileage on the truck?
I'm only hauling 20k, and I have a cdl, if need be.
CDL's not required if you're pulling an RV and not 'for hire'... So you're OK no matter what... Don't need a DOT # either, IIRC.. Also not limited to 26K#... smile

Hope it all goes well. Post back when you have completed a run or two and how it all went.. Best wishes.

With a smaller displacement engine, fairly tall gearing, and keeping you speeds under 65 mph. If you compare said class7/8 with a typical pickup truck towing a heavy (17K pound + RV), the difference in fuel mileage is very small....while the comfort and safety increases exponentially with the class 7/8! JMO. memtb
Yeah, I know I don't need my cdl, or any endorsements. I read somewhere, that New Mexico has a class E license for combo vehicles over 26k.
I have to check.
A DD series 60, doesn't even need anything done to it, until 750,000 to 1M miles.
I've been shopping for awhile now. Many of these motors have WELL over 1M miles, in many different makes of trucks.
My FedEx Volvo I drive, has 894k miles on it.
It runs great, and uses no oil. It is an ISX motor, but the point is, how long semi motors last.
It also has the same Eaton transmission.
Rockinbbar,
He may have fallen under DOT regs, because he was using it for work.
The title on my truck says motor home, and private rv, not for hire is on the sides.
Looks like all the comforts of home. Have fun traveling!
The mileage doesn't bother me at all.
My saying is: If you can afford to buy it, you can afford to feed it.
Or mileage on the truck?
I'm only hauling 20k, and I have a cdl, if need be.

yes I was wondering about the mileage on the truck......overall not just the motor......bob
"Nothing exceeds like excess"

Way to go!
Sweet rig splatter. Hope you enjoy it al in your well earned retirement.
It is a 20 year old, used truck, but by the pics, it was taken care of pretty well.
There are a few things needing attention.
Thanks JG.
Still have a few years, but getting things sorted out early !
Now to work on getting CFMOTO Z FORCE 800 next.

It's actually more relaxing than trying to barrel along and keep up. I know a guy that did exactly what Splatter is doing. He was way happier towing than he would have been with a 1 ton truck.
Very nice setup hopefully our paths will cross one of these days.
We are talking now on where to meet.
Anyone interested in a Rampage motorcycle carrier ?
He's including it, but I have no bike.
The truck provides a nice doghouse for whomever winds up in it....

Nice set up.
We've been married too long to do that. We disagree, get huffy, and get over it.
No doghouse needed. But,,,
She can take the truck, I'll take the trailer !
I'll post some pics of the Rampage in case anyone is interested.
Here's some pics.
Today is the day !!
good foryou. maybe pick up a cheap bike or scooter for bitty errands while parked nifty bike carrier.
As in many places, Covid face masks are required, so get a Smart Car and load it sideways behind the truck cab....with the mask no one will know it’s you with the Smart Car! grin memtb
Might get wife a Vespa ?
Was looking at scooters for it.
Go big, or go home.
No more questions if I have enough truck.
grin

Nice!
Go big, or go home.

I think you will have trouble not going nuts waiting for retirement. That is quite the setupgrin

mike r
Go big, or go home.

I certainly cannot afford to do what you are doing, but I sure as heck am pleased that someone can.
Enjoy your retirement.
Go big, or go home.
Nice... Man, that IS a short WB... I've seen a Prius take more room to do a 180... laugh laugh

Now that I think of it - go on YouTube and search for "Changing Lanes".. Chad and Tara are the BEST when it comes to RV life and items/functions/repairs on a camper just like yours.. He's ex-USN and they've been living full-time RV for 2.5 years now.. He's excellent at explaining things, and they're videos are top notch.. Give it a try..
Escapees RV Forum has a portion of their site dedicated to HD (class 7/8) tow vehicles. Years of great information is available on the site. Though, I haven’t been on their site in quite a while, http://www.jackdanmayer.com/ (site contributors) have been full-timing for around 10 or more years using HD tow rigs. Here’s a link to a HD truck conversion company that Jack is/was affiliated with.....http://rvhlifestyles.com/ memtb
Thanks guys,
The seller gave me a file on the truck.
It goes all the way back when it was a dual rear axle commercial truck, to present.
Lots of pics as a dual rear axle, who did the single axle conversion, with paperwork, and cost, and all receipts of anything major done to it.
Receipts for new turbo install last year. Tires, oil changes, current one, done a week ago, with new fuel filter, brakes, and drums, bearings, seals, etc...
LOTS, of papers, for just about everything.
I like all the pics.
It rides great, bobtail.
I'll find out how it pulls today, when we leave the rv park and head home.
Oh my !!!
I feel like a truck driver still !!
It pulled soooo nice !
All thee air ride, the air ride hitch, the cab, the seat.
Felt like I was floating !!
Why every one doesn't used a semi, is beyond me !!
Oh my !!!
I feel like a truck driver still !!
It pulled soooo nice !
All the air ride !
The air ride hitch, the cab, the seat.
Felt like I was floating !!
Why every one doesn't used a semi, is beyond me !!
And this was posted by an over 30 year, truck driver !!
I bet that rig could go all of the way to Alaska ! laugh
I'll have at least a 1500 mile range.
I got 9.5 mpg coming home, up n down hills.
1500 should give me about 50 gallons left, to refuel about 150.
Wife taking pics from behind.
enjoy it you earn it
I looked up what model Changing Lanes has, and we have different models. They have a 353, we have a 376th.
Holy Fook!

Nice rig!
I looked up what model Changing Lanes has, and we have different models. They have a 353, we have a 376th.
True - I was referring just to the make - not the model.. Happy camping!!!
What make/model do you have Redneck ?
You have a pretty large one, and towing it with ?
© 24hourcampfire