Home
Watch Hogan's Hero's on the tube while getting motivated to go fishing.

The German guards are totin krags. I wonder how many surplus krags were used as movie props. I need to shoot my Springfield some.
Originally Posted by PPosey

The German guards are totin krags. I wonder how many surplus krags were used as movie props. I need to shoot my Springfield some.

That actually was a Danish or Norwegian Krag confiscated after Denmark or Norway was occupied and reissued to third line troops like POW camp guards.
There was an old Gene Autry movie where he was selling horses to the army. All the troops were armed with what looked like Philippine Constibulary Krags.
Then there was "the good, the Bad, and the Ugly," with Clint Eastwood putting cartridges in muzzle loading revolvers.
Many of the WW2 movies show German soldiers using WW1 Mauser rifles, and wearing the WW1 style helmets. Also, they show Japs using the WW1 Mausers.
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Many of the WW2 movies show German soldiers using WW1 Mauser rifles, and wearing the WW1 style helmets. Also, they show Japs using the WW1 Mausers.

the 91/30 is a wwi straight pull, made in hungary and in vienna. the 30 comes from their being cut down from the wwi version used by the austro hungarian empire, and issued to second line troops, police, etc.
as to the mauser, i asked a guy once served in russia, he said they preferred the wwi mauser to the k98 , said it was more accurate.
Ron,

The Austrian straight pull was the 1895 Steyr. Wasn’t it?

91/30 was a Moison/Nagant.

Not that it really matters

Yep, Sergeant Schultz always toted a Krag-Jorgensen.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Sometimes the German camp guards are seen toting Thompson submachine guns.
The reason I heard props gave him a Krag-Jorgenson was a 98k looked like a toy when he handled it. Too Small for his physique
Forgot Sgt. Schultz's real name, but heard on another web site that he was Jewish and had relatives who had perished in a concentration camp. For that reason he refused to carry a K98, and the show's producers obliged him and found out that the Germans had captured a lot of Krags and many were indeed issued to non - front line troops like guards and security personnel. So supposedly him carrying a Krag was historically correct for many, but not all, guards. Read this on another internet site so I can't vouch for its authenticity. Any truth to it ?
I dunno???

But what a singing duo!

Originally Posted by 22250rem
Forgot Sgt. Schultz's real name, but heard on another web site that he was Jewish and had relatives who had perished in a concentration camp. For that reason he refused to carry a K98, and the show's producers obliged him and found out that the Germans had captured a lot of Krags and many were indeed issued to non - front line troops like guards and security personnel. So supposedly him carrying a Krag was historically correct for many, but not all, guards. Read this on another internet site so I can't vouch for its authenticity. Any truth to it ?

Here's a link for the Sgt. Schultz info. Both he and Col. Klink were Jewish.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0052308/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm
Klinks real life brother was quite the orchestra conductor too!
At least three Jews in the regulor cast.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Yep, Sergeant Schultz always toted a Krag-Jorgensen.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Sometimes the German camp guards are seen toting Thompson submachine guns.

What caliber do you think that is, huge or a photo distortion?
Several Krags show up in "For Whom the Bell Tolls" with Gary Cooper.
Robert Clary is also Jewish and a concentration camp survivor.
That is very interesting, I never caught that
This extended beyond small arms. Skip to 3:20 for a look at the dreaded German Me-51's. Thank God the Luftwaffe only had a few of them....

German Uniforms and decorations in the show
are overall not too bad...Gestapo ones prob. a bit
over the top..

Col. Klink wore....
>WW1 Iron Cross 1st class., (with WW2 clasp)
which means he received a second award.
>Pilot's Badge
>Ground Combat Badge.

Schultz wore...
>German Sports Badge.
> NCO Lace, but it has an error In that
it only runs around three sides of the
shoulder straps.
>Schultz had the correct brown leather for
Luftwaffe, opposed to black for Heer.

They certainly didn't use crappy tacky props.
i watched an interview with werner klemperer (klink) and he said when he was asked to play the part of a german pow commander in a comedy, he thought they were crazy. he said the only way he would play it was if he could make him a buffoon, which he did. he was an interesting person and a good actor. i love that show. i have them all on dvd and thats what i watch on cold nights at my camp.
Krags show up in the original King Kong movie. I watched a grade B Vietnam War movie a few years ago and one soldier is using a Hi Point carbine, when a lot of movies are made they use any type of prop gun that they can get their hands on
A lot of Boomer era TV and movies had such little attention to detail that they become almost unwatchable. Already mentioned but The Good The Bad and The Ugly is a prime example.

Unrelated to the OP but some might appreciate this sporterized Krag. A buddy of mine picked up recently and sent pics.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

whoever did that did a nice job. that is a beauty.
It was done by Dick Hanson.
I recently saw Klemperer on an early Gunsmoke. Hardly any German accent.
John Wayne's gang used Krags in "The Fighting Seabees", too. I think the "Japanese" troops did, also. There were probably shortages of everything during that time, and they "made do" with whatever sorta looked like the appropriate weapons.
I remember having to watch to that show.

3 channels, pick one.
Originally Posted by deflave
A lot of Boomer era TV and movies had such little attention to detail that they become almost unwatchable. Already mentioned but The Good The Bad and The Ugly is a prime example.

Unrelated to the OP but some might appreciate this sporterized Krag. A buddy of mine picked up recently and sent pics.

That is freakin sweet!!
Originally Posted by JoeBob

That actually was a Danish or Norwegian Krag confiscated after Denmark or Norway was occupied and reissued to third line troops like POW camp guards.

I knew some WW2 history geek would come up with a solution!
Wish my workbench was that organized. 👍😃
[Linked Image]

In Sept 2019 I restored a Krag and made a non invasive scope mount.

[Linked Image]

In Sept 2019 I sporterized a Krag to 25 Krag Ackley and painted my Bartlein barrel.

Owning a beauty like that, would be reason enough to buy 30-40 Krag dies.

Nice shooting iron right there
Originally Posted by slumlord

That is freakin sweet!!

Oh, it’s ok.

😁
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
This extended beyond small arms. Skip to 3:20 for a look at the dreaded German Me-51's. Thank God the Luftwaffe only had a few of them....

Lol.
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Then there was "the good, the Bad, and the Ugly," with Clint Eastwood putting cartridges in muzzle loading revolvers.

Many black powder revolvers (NOT muzzle loaders) were converted to cartridge firing, very common, still available today on the replica market and in demand by Cowboy Action shooters.

Wow! That's nice!
I remember seeing Winchester 92s and 94s in western movies when I was a kid.
Originally Posted by rem141r
i watched an interview with werner klemperer (klink) and he said when he was asked to play the part of a german pow commander in a comedy, he thought they were crazy. he said the only way he would play it was if he could make him a buffoon, which he did. he was an interesting person and a good actor. i love that show. i have them all on dvd and thats what i watch on cold nights at my camp.

I must have seen every episode six or seven times. Maybe more like ten.

Beautiful.
Werner’s older brother, Otto.

Edit! Dad not brother

Originally Posted by kaywoodie

Looks very much like him.
I wonder what real German POW's thought of that show?
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

Looks very much like him.

Sorry. He was his dad!!!! For some reason I thought they were brothers
Originally Posted by Clarkm
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

In Sept 2019 I sporterized a Krag to 25 Krag Ackley and painted my Bartlein barrel.

What scope mount do you have on that bottom krag? I have a sporterized one that I really like to hunt with but can't see well enough with the peep sights to use it anymore.

That is freakin sweet!!

i need another one like a hole in the head, but bidding on one now.

That is freakin sweet!!

It is.

A bit jealous.
Originally Posted by Jericho
I remember seeing Winchester 92s and 94s in western movies when I was a kid.

Yeah, and all the cowboys used Colt six guns that held at least 17 shells in the cylinders.
Internet Firearms Data Base.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Main_Page

A colt 1851 Navy conversion. Only about 10 years out of place, which isn't too bad for the movies.
Burkhalter was my fav... 👍

Originally Posted by Kodiakisland

A colt 1851 Navy conversion. Only about 10 years out of place, which isn't too bad for the movies.

The dynamite used to blow up the bridge is a little harder to explain.
Originally Posted by Fubarski
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland

Invented in 1867.
Originally Posted by Fubarski

Invented in 1867.

.. how did Clint get all charges to detonate
simultaneously using only one safety fuse.?
LoL.. 😂

movie is set prior to Nobel inventing dynamite
and detonator/blasting Cap...neither was
Wilbrands earlier creation of TNT yet available.

Originally Posted by jnyork

Many black powder revolvers (NOT muzzle loaders) were converted to cartridge firing, very common, still available today on the replica market and in demand by Cowboy Action shooters.

Don't get me wrong, I have always very much enjoyed the G,B, & U movie, however as someone pointed out, Clint Eastwood's cartridge conversion Colt did not exist in that time period. Also, notice that Lee VanCleef has a percussion Remington which is period correct, but he carries it in a holster rig with loops holding metalic cartridges. Eli Wallock's Colt Navy is period correct, but he gets metalic cartridges from the storekeeper to load it with. And, to really get nit-picky, what's the deal with Eastwood firing the cannon with a fuse instead of a friction primer? If not a friction primer, a quill & linstock would have been accurate. Granted, neither method would have had quite the dramatic effect as lighting a fuse with a cigar.
Originally Posted by Clarkm
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

What scope mount do you have on that bottom krag? I have a sporterized one that I really like to hunt with but can't see well enough with the peep sights to use it anymore.

I got it off the 24HCF free classified in 2013

leupold vx-III 2.5X8 handgun scope for sale
srwshooter
Campfire Guide

Loc: grottoes ,virginia,usa
matte black,ex cond. no marks

350.00 plus shipping
Saw a ww2 documentary on history channel awhile back. A German soldier in a foxhole was shooting a chromed parade Garand !
yeah the History Channel has some Goofs on it I remember watching a show about the American Revolution one time and a British soldier had a bolt action rifle pretty comical
Bonanza was set from 1861 to 1871. The first episodes were just at the start of the Civil War.
Pa, and Adam and the boys all carried 1873 Colts. No pesky powder horns or round balls for the Bonanza boys.
Lots of those History Channel shows are filmed in Eastern Europe and if you watch them closely, you’ll see all kinds of funky weapons being carried sometimes.
Square hay bales? Cold beer?
© 24hourcampfire