Home
Posted By: montrose91 Beaver, Utah - 06/27/20
There might be a job opportunity opening up for me soon in Beaver, Utah. I've driven through before and I know the mountains around there are really pretty, but I don't know anything about the towns in that area. Has anyone lived in Beaver or nearby? Any thoughts about it? What did you like/dislike? My wife and I are not LDS and are wondering what life would be like.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Beaver, Utah - 06/27/20
Sorry I canโ€™t help

I did want to add though that me and my wife too, are not LDS.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Beaver, Utah - 06/27/20
Originally Posted by slumlord
Sorry I canโ€™t help

I did want to add though that me and my wife too, are not LDS.

Pentecost?

๐Ÿ˜Ž
Posted By: Castle_Rock Re: Beaver, Utah - 06/27/20
I would like to be able to say I lived in Beaver 24/7
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Beaver, Utah - 06/27/20
They have the best combo bar and gambling hall there......liquor in the front, poker in the rear. Seriously though, every time I saw the sign for the Beaver Liquor Store it cracked me up.
Posted By: Sycamore Re: Beaver, Utah - 06/27/20
Originally Posted by ponderosa11
There might be a job opportunity opening up for me soon in Beaver, Utah. I've driven through before and I know the mountains around there are really pretty, but I don't know anything about the towns in that area. Has anyone lived in Beaver or nearby? Any thoughts about it? What did you like/dislike? My wife and I are not LDS and are wondering what life would be like.

where are you from? small Utah town with families that go back to 1870s probably. You won't be accepted into the community per se, as they are looking at a long time frame of history, more than most Americans who move every 5 years. If you are socially self sufficient, and don't need to be on a bowling team and a softball team, and your wife doesn't need a book club and a bunko group, you might be alright. If you are only going there for 5 years to make money and get out, probably OK.. kind of halfway between Las Vegas and SLC, so you have a city to visit in the winter and a city to visit in the summer. downhill skiing at Brian Head close by, and great skiing in SLC. Incredible mule deer hunting close by too.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Beaver, Utah - 06/27/20
Hit up Ernie's Truck Plaza for the best breast (strips) in Utah. Seriously worth the effort. Typically found the locals to be good humored. I think it'd be an excellent location for the climate.
Posted By: funshooter Re: Beaver, Utah - 06/27/20
The winters SUCK in Beaver
But They have good Cheese
Originally Posted by funshooter
The winters SUCK in Beaver
But They have good Cheese

Cheese and Beaver isnโ€™t a combination Iโ€™d look for...Flumundercheese isnโ€™t edible.

LOL

๐Ÿ˜Ž
Oh, the winters can be a bit hairy down at Beaver.....
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Oh, the winters can be a bit hairy down at Beaver.....

Stripped beaver is plenty warm on the inside....Grins ๐Ÿ˜Ž
Every time I have gone into Beaver, I've come out happier....
One time I got stuck in Beaver the whole night.
Always planned my trips to hit Beaver whenever possible.
When trucking I had a lot of time to think about Beaver.
Posted By: Cretch Re: Beaver, Utah - 06/27/20
Use to visit Beaver a lot when I was young. Not as frequent as I got older.
If a man doesn't like Beaver, there's something wrong with him.
Posted By: denton Re: Beaver, Utah - 06/27/20
Not from there, but pass through it often enough.

The Creamery is the place to hit for some great eats.

Elk Meadows is not far from there, and is apparently correctly named. Good hunting, I understand.

It's a small, rural town, very far from any major city. So the good news is clean air and lots of outdoor recreation opportunities. The bad news is, no big city amenities like shopping malls and movie theaters. If you're happy doing things like making the kids' afternoon soccer game your entertainment, you'll have plenty to do. Snowmobile, ATV, and an F150, and you're set.

It's not generally a prosperous place.

Don't believe the bunk about being excluded. I get so tired of that nonsense. If you'll reach out, they will reach back. If you don't reach out, they probably wont realize you are there. It's perfectly in order to have a short chat with the local Bishop and ask to be included in social activities. You'll be welcomed, regardless of faith or lack thereof. And the Church is far from the only game in town anyway.

You'll be amazed at the amount of truck traffic up and down the freeway.

You got that right. I remember how exicted I use to get when I knew I was going to Beaver. Man I love that place!
Posted By: Paul39 Re: Beaver, Utah - 06/27/20
I vaguely recall that there's a decent gun shop there. Can anybody confirm?

Paul
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Beaver, Utah - 06/27/20
Beaver Sport and Pawn. Awesome store, I always stop by on my way through town.
Beaver has a ski resort and several lakes right up up the canyon.
If I'd had a decent job opportunity there when I was working I wouldn't have passed it up.

Iโ€™m universally loved...Thank you!

๐Ÿ˜Ž
Originally Posted by Beaver10

๐Ÿ˜Ž

Are you bald?
Originally Posted by Cretch

๐Ÿ˜Ž

Are you bald?

Dude, that's soooo immature!
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Beaver, Utah - 06/27/20
What Denton said. Beaver is rated as having the best drinking water in the country. The Creamery is addictive. It's small town in every way, but everyone I've talked to who has lived there liked it.

Despite being well south of Salt Lake City, it can be colder in the winter - and windier at all times. If you fly a lot, it's about a three-hour haul to either SLC or Las Vegas, the two nearest major airports. There is a small commercial field at St George, but as it isn't a hub, it can be expensive flying in or out of there.

Our five national parks are all nearby and public land abounds. Good hunting and fishing all around there plus skiing. The world-class Shakespeare Festival in Cedar City is close.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Beaver, Utah - 06/27/20
If you can embrace small town life and enjoy access to great public lands Beaver is about perfect.

mike r
Originally Posted by Cretch

๐Ÿ˜Ž

Are you bald?

Dude, that's soooo immature!

I know. It's the beer talking. grin

Also thanks!. Been trying to relive my youth.
Posted By: denton Re: Beaver, Utah - 06/27/20
I vaguely recall that there's a decent gun shop there. Can anybody confirm?

MUCH better than decent.

Also, it's about 45 minutes down to Cedar City. From there you can drive up to 10,000 feet to Cedar Breaks, which is great scenery. Cedar City is also home to a nice college.

From Cedar City down to St. George, it's a long, steep descent. It's a much different climate down at the bottom of that run. Palm trees there.
Posted By: Gledeasy Re: Beaver, Utah - 06/27/20
I grew up just over the mountain in Beaver County (Milford).

If small town is your thing, Beaver will be a great place.

Plenty of things to do outdoors and bigger city is less than 1 hour away.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Beaver, Utah - 06/28/20
Utah still has several gems that have yet to be discovered by the travelogues. Vernal, Utah is another.

mike r
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Beaver, Utah - 06/28/20
My father (WC Fields evil baby brother), claimed it was easy to gauge a strange town, if it contained more bars than churches...it was safe for habitation. Also mentioned that on the sign entering town, if the population number exceeded the elevation...keep rolling. And so far, the only guy that actually may know anything has extolled it's water and a creamery. None of those bode well for residency.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Beaver, Utah - 06/28/20
If you can't find somewhere you like in Utah, you may be from the south.

mike r
Posted By: deflave Re: Beaver, Utah - 06/28/20
Originally Posted by lvmiker

mike r

LOL
Posted By: jnyork Re: Beaver, Utah - 06/28/20
Originally Posted by lvmiker

mike r

Well said. Utah is a great state with places of beauty and great hunting/fishing opportunities. I dont know much about the town in question having only driven through a few times, looks like a pretty decent place.
The fable that you wont be accepted unless you are a Mormon is a load of horse manure. As anywhere else, be a good neighbor and you will have good neighbors. If you dont know the names of your neighbors and their kids and never socialize with anyone, then you deserve your isolation and misery.

There are quite a few LDS in my community here in Wyoming, as everywhere else in the West, they are good people for the most part, my next door neighbor is about as LDS as you can get, he is a great guy , we get along really well. I am not a Mormon.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Beaver, Utah - 06/28/20

You'll need a Beaver Licker T shirt

[Linked Image from img0.etsystatic.com]

Don't worry about the Church.........

its 4+ hrs away.......

Beaver has one helluva pawn shop......

I moved to Utah in '79......1979 that is........

Not LDS.......live in Podunk town of 1200 people......

What kinda job ya looking at ?
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Beaver, Utah - 06/28/20
Beaver is a nice town. Its small and a bit isolated but if you're ok with that you'll like it. Lots of good recreation nearby and people are much more down to earth and genuine than the Wasatch front types typically are. If I had to move to Utah I'd prefer Beaver or Vernal.

I've lived in Provo and South Jordan. In college I dated a girl briefly from Beaver and she was a very nice, sweet, down to earth girl.

I'm LDS so that part wouldn't be a concern for me but if you are straight up with the lds people there they are usually pretty respectful of your wishes. If you're not interested in the church just let them know. If you would still like to be involved in their camp outs, service projects, picnics, and Christmas parties just let them know you'd like to socialize but aren't interested in joining.

I've got non member friends and neighbors that always come to the forth of July party, the Christmas party, and used to help me with scouts when I was a scout master. In fact one was a bit pissed that I forgot to invite him to the last father and sons overnight camp out. They'll involve you as much as you want to be you just need to communicate and if someone is too pushy just call the bishop and he will set them straight.

My parents aren't LDS and are pretty anti but they liked having church members stop by each month to check on them and visit and keep them informed of what's going on so they did that for years. When my non lds little sister got married last year they had the LDS missionaries come and valet all the parking for the wedding and set up chairs and tables. Saved my 70 year old dad some stress.

Bb
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Beaver, Utah - 06/28/20
Nothing on I15 in Utah is isolated. You can drive 100 MPH like the SLC folks do and get anywhere quick.
Posted By: Idaho1945 Re: Beaver, Utah - 06/28/20
Grew up on a small farm on the Milford flats for a few years. Have several relatives in the area of Minersville, Beaver, Cedar City. Great country & friendly people.

Dick
Originally Posted by Idaho1945
Grew up on a small farm on the Milford flats for a few years. Have several relatives in the area of Minersville, Beaver, Cedar City. Great country & friendly people.

Dick

I have to, I can't help it. Dick likes Beaver ^^^^^^^^^^
Originally Posted by Idaho1945

Dick

I have to, I can't help it. Dick likes Beaver ^^^^^^^^^^

>>>>>>>>>>> blush<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Beaver, Utah - 06/28/20
Sad, is it not? That people with the maturity of a middle schooler always rush to display it, snickering all the way.
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Sad, is it not? That people with the maturity of a middle schooler always rush to display it, snickering all the way.

Kinda fun actually Rocky.
Posted By: PPosey Re: Beaver, Utah - 06/28/20
I lived in Parowon UT back in 1990 so I'm sure things have changed. But a great area for outdoors rec. Had good friends that were Mormon, I was not. Trout fishing and hunting, Cedar Breaks, Brian Head. There were good archery shops and eating in Cedar City. Poncho and Leftys mex. Restaurant comes to mind,

When people were clueless where Parowon was we would always say it was halfway between Virgin and Beaver.
Posted By: super T Re: Beaver, Utah - 06/28/20
I spend a lot of time in Utah. While Beaver is a small town, it is not isolated. No town on I-15 can be called isolated. It's only a 2 hour drive to Provo. Same to Saint George. Which, BTW has experienced phenomenal growth in the past twenty years or so. I'm a big fan of Utah and of the people even though I am not LDS. If you like to hunt and fish, Beaver may not be heaven but you'll be close enough to see it.
Posted By: jnyork Re: Beaver, Utah - 06/28/20
Originally Posted by RockyRaab

Well, it IS the internet, after all. wink
Posted By: crittrgittr Re: Beaver, Utah - 06/28/20
I love the Fillmore Beaver area
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Beaver, Utah - 06/28/20
The town of Beaver is gonna have a sore spot with all the talk about her.

๐Ÿ˜Ž

She's got a pawn shop (or 2) and a liquor store

what else ya need ?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
© 24hourcampfire