Home
Posted By: wabigoon Old Ford Tractor, and Plow - 06/27/20
I went to an auction sale today. I needed nothing, bought nothing.
Tis is the Ford, an[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]d two bottom plow.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
You wouldn't pull that here!
I remember when most of the small farms used small tractors and 2 row plows were common.

Time was cheaper back then, I reckon. Hours were long though.
I'll think that plow never goes in the ground, a tractor ride rig most likely.
Posted By: Squidge Re: Old Ford Tractor, and Plow - 06/27/20
We use my father in-law's Ford Jubilee and a one bottom plow on our garden every spring, it works well.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Old Ford Tractor, and Plow - 06/27/20
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
You wouldn't pull that here!

how come? not enough power for that aggressive of a plow?
My little 8N pulls my two bottom pretty well. I call her my Fire Breathing Dragon. Ha.
Posted By: deflave Re: Old Ford Tractor, and Plow - 06/27/20
Great pics.
Posted By: Remsen Re: Old Ford Tractor, and Plow - 06/27/20
Originally Posted by deflave
Great pics.

This is why I love Flave.
My Granddad's 1948 8N is still on the farm.

I bought another one at an auction with a step-up transmission. Don't have it all restored yet.

Originally Posted by Godogs57
My little 8N pulls my two bottom pretty well. I call her my Fire Breathing Dragon. Ha.

I wouldn't even try a 2 bottom plow around here.
Very heavy clay - doubt my 8N would pull 2 bottoms - 1 probably.
We use an MFWD JD 7210 on a 4 bottom - works well.
We still have the NAA 1953, with hydraulic loader, and Sherman under, overdrive. It needs a lot of work.

Those old small gas tractors will not do much these days, not even drive an auger.
Posted By: deflave Re: Old Ford Tractor, and Plow - 06/27/20
Roundoak,

Those old pics are about as boss as it gets.
The Sahara dust is strong there.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Old Ford Tractor, and Plow - 06/27/20
My first tractor was a 430 Case. Bought it and a 2-16 bottom plow and an 8 foot disk.
That was quite a sale, they sold toys for three hours.
Posted By: Rug3 Re: Old Ford Tractor, and Plow - 06/28/20

Great ole tractor!
What's the difference between the 8N and 9N?
I was raised on an Adirondack subsistence farm. (2 rock, 1 dirt) In 1953 Dad bought a new 8N or 9N Ford and the 2 bottom plow looked like the above. 4 speed trans and could plow easily in second gear. I plowed with it every spring 1953 to 59.
Posted By: ChuckKY Re: Old Ford Tractor, and Plow - 06/28/20
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I'll think that plow never goes in the ground, a tractor ride rig most likely.

Looks pretty clean and nice paint, but it also looks like those plows are shiny metal and the edge of the coulter is shiny also like it may of have seen some use in the not so distant past.
Tis is the Ford, and two bottom plow.

It appears to be the 641 "Workmaster" though I can not quite read the lettering on the hood.

The 2N, 9N, and 8N were flat heads. The later NAA was the first of the overhead valve engines.

9N....1939 thru 1942 tested at 16 drawbar HP, Flat rear wheels
2N....1942 thru 1947 factory rated at 12 HP drawbar. Flat rear wheels. (wartime production model)
8N....1947 thru 1952 tested at 23 drawbar HP, dished rear wheels, 4 speed trans.

All painted in the grey and red paint scheme, All with 2.0 L 4 cyl flathead.

NAA (golden Jubilee) 1953 thru 1954, 2.2 L overhead valve engine tested at 27 HP, grey and red

Ford 640 1954 thru 1957 2.2 L 28.6 HP drawbar tested grey and red

Ford 641 1957 thru 1962. 2.2 L gas or 2.4 L diesel 29.8 HP drawbar tested. Red body w/ grey fenders also called "Workmaster"
It's a Workmaster, I did not say it was a 9N.
That's my faux pas, I thought I read 8N in your post somewhere.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Old Ford Tractor, and Plow - 06/28/20
We have a Workmaster out at the ranch that Grandad bought in 69. Only work it’s done in the last decade has been to be a mouse haven and Yellowjacket hatchery.

The one I want is Great Grandad’s 50hp Oliver diesel, need to get it running again.
After young scantly clad women, and booze, not much gets the 'fire going like an old Ford tractor. wink
Posted By: cowdoc Re: Old Ford Tractor, and Plow - 06/28/20
Dad had 2 8N's back in the 60's, I bought a Ford 600 in 1970, and then dad bought a Ford 3000 in '72 or '73

Very little row crop, just mainly putting up small round hay bales. Plowed ground to reseed hayfields.
Doctor Dan, good to hear from you!
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Old Ford Tractor, and Plow - 06/28/20
My older son sent me a picture of a 9N that followed him home yesterday.

I have done a bit of field work and firewood cutting with Ford N series tractors.

My great aunt Mildred used to tell of the time, shortly after WWII, that Uncle Earnie bought his first tractor, an N Series Ford. Up until then he’d used only Percherons. It was the first time he’d ever borrowed money. She said he didn’t sleep for a year...that’s how soon he paid it back.
Posted By: dubePA Re: Old Ford Tractor, and Plow - 06/28/20
Have had a Jubilee for over 40 years. Used to do landscaping/mowing with it. Haven't had it running in a few years, need to get the old girl running again. Once had two bottom plow, 6' disc (both Dearborn), 6' box scraper, 8' York rake w/scarifier bar and a 6' Ford flail mower. All I have left now, is the mower.

Two hillbilly cousins each have restored 861 Powermaster Fords. Live hydraulics/PTO and power steering. They're a joy, compared to my old clunker. Once you've spent years running compact diesel 4x4 HST tractors, them old jewels kinda lose some of their luster. I started as a kid on an old 9N arm buster. Don't miss it.
Posted By: cowdoc Re: Old Ford Tractor, and Plow - 06/28/20
Dad had wore out a couple Massey-Harris "81" tractors and an old unstyled Allis Chalmers WC.

When my brothers and I were old enough to help, he thought a low-profile wide front tractor might be a good investment. We never upset any of the Fords. Coasting down the hill on the blacktop by the church we guessed we could get the 8Ns doing close to 50 mph. Had to brace your feet on the tie rods to cut down on the high speed wobble.
Posted By: Bry Re: Old Ford Tractor, and Plow - 06/28/20
I had a 9N and a 2bottom plow for food plots, she'd pull a good wheelie if you hooked a big enough rock. Pushed snow with a backblade and mowed fields with a 4ft Bushhog. Motor was tired but she always started and ran for the 5-6 years I had her. Finally had the coin for a new 4wd 32hp diesel Massey with a loader. Way more useful but I miss the stability of the old tractor on side hills.
lost my 841 ford in the divorce. She since sold it. It had the Sherman hi/lo and a one-armed bandit loader. The sucker would scare the chit out of you in road gear.....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Originally Posted by Rug3

Great ole tractor!
What's the difference between the 8N and 9N?
I was raised on an Adirondack subsistence farm. (2 rock, 1 dirt) In 1953 Dad bought a new 8N or 9N Ford and the 2 bottom plow looked like the above. 4 speed trans and could plow easily in second gear. I plowed with it every spring 1953 to 59.

Mine dates to 1953 also. Most of my plowing and mowing is in second gear as well. I do my finish work on the garden and food plots in 3rd.

Need to get the valves adjusted after all these years. Had the manifold machined down and a new gasket a couple of years ago. Conversation to 12 volt was the best thing I ever did.
I've got an 8N and a 1936 Allis-Chalmers WC- - - - -both in need of a major restoration. I'd love to find the bits & pieces to do the flathead V8 conversion on the Ford.
Jerry
Posted By: hanco Re: Old Ford Tractor, and Plow - 06/28/20
The old rancher I hunted on had a 1953 Jubilee. It was made the year I was born. He had a 1929 John Deere also.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Old Ford Tractor, and Plow - 06/28/20
Probably as good a time as any for the reason that the Fords' wheelbase is what it is.
My 8N is a '48 model
I'm a '52 model who learned to drive on a '48 8N ! smile smile smile
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Old Ford Tractor, and Plow - 06/28/20
I'm more interested in the Farmall beside it. Can't read the badge - MTA?
That sale included, a Case 14 loader, an IH 1066, 300, SuperMTA, gas 706, and I forget the others.

The sale list is on Green Auction web site.

[img]http://www.greenrealestate-auction.com/auction/363079/ron-whipkey-estate-auction[/img]
I had a Ford 5000 and wish I kept it. It got traded in on a newer tractor.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I remember when most of the small farms used small tractors and 2 row plows were common.

Time was cheaper back then, I reckon. Hours were long though.

It was a lot faster than it's predecessor.
[Linked Image from statesboroherald.cdn-anvilcms.net]
My father talked about walking behind horses, and mules.
Posted By: blanket Re: Old Ford Tractor, and Plow - 06/28/20
My father plowed with draft horses as well
Tis is the Ford, an[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]d two bottom plow.

I'm digging that IH Farmall in the background too.
My father talked about walking behind horses, and mules.
My father never plowed with horses, but heard stores of my grandfather and great-grandfather following the plow. A couple of Great-grandfather's walking plows are still on the farm.

Wood beam sod breaking plow with a knife coulter. [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Great-granddad bought the first tractor for the farm and really increased productivity. Great-granddad and his IH Titan 10-20 and three bottom plow. I was always amused by the picture because the picture was taken with a walking plow in the foreground.

Posted By: Snyper Re: Old Ford Tractor, and Plow - 06/28/20
My neighbor has an NAA that will easily pull a 3 bottom 101 plow around here.
I've wanted to put a mailbox on a mounted plow for 50 years.

Remember they sometimes spelled, " Plough"?

Merle Miller at his welding shop told he had a left hand Oliver walking plow on his shop wall, someone wanted that bad enough to convince Merle to sell.
Just sold my 1961 Ford Workmaster. That was one high geared tractor. Need a new radiator for my Farmall H 1939 (first year), first owned by my wifes's grandfather. Was using it on a regular basis until I had a radiator mishap. GW
© 24hourcampfire