Home
Posted By: Hawk_Driver A blast from the past - 06/30/20
Found some old pics. One of my best friends and hunting buddy was flying this aircraft on our 3rd deployment to Iraq, landed on an anti-tank mine. The medic was hanging out the left gunners window, caught shrapnel and got burned. He was the only injury. It blew the left landing gear about 400 meters from the aircraft, trashed all the blades and blew the windows out on the left side. The ballistic protection kit that were installed saved the rest of the crew from injury.

We were with the Marines out in Anbar, turned out they landed in a minefield. The Marines wanted to launch an F-18 and drop a 500 pounder on it. Our CO was not happy, we had lost an aircraft on that tour already and were still short a bird from a previous tour. The CH-53 squadron CO agreed to sling it out. Picture is of the bird after it was slung back to Al Asad and an inflight pic of the 53 getting ready to lift it.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Another bird from the previous tour, being slung out by a CH-47.

Some Blackhawks loaded in a C-5, headed to the sandbox.
That doesn't look like it buffed out! It's hard to believe they didn't have more injuries looking at it.
Posted By: Partsman Re: A blast from the past - 06/30/20
Thanks for your service and thanks for the pictures.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: A blast from the past - 06/30/20
I hope that Medic was able to recover from his injuries, looks bad.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: A blast from the past - 06/30/20
Thanks for posting, and Thank You!, for your service!
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: A blast from the past - 06/30/20
Mines in the LZ.....flashback city.
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: A blast from the past - 06/30/20
"A blast from the past." I see what you did there...

Glad there were no worse casualties than that with something the size of an AT mine.
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver
Found some old pics. One of my best friends and hunting buddy was flying this aircraft on our 3rd deployment to Iraq, landed on an anti-tank mine. The medic was hanging out the left gunners window, caught shrapnel and got burned. He was the only injury. It blew the left landing gear about 400 meters from the aircraft, trashed all the blades and blew the windows out on the left side. The ballistic protection kit that were installed saved the rest of the crew from injury.

We were with the Marines out in Anbar, turned out they landed in a minefield. The Marines wanted to launch an F-
Another bird from the previous tour, being slung out by a CH-47.

Thanks for your service. Thanks for the fine pics. I especially like this one with the shadows stopped in motion.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: A blast from the past - 06/30/20
Cool stuff, Hawk_Driver. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: A blast from the past - 06/30/20
Looks like a lot of damage, glad everyone made it through.

Do you know what kind of anti tank mine it was Dan?
Posted By: slumlord Re: A blast from the past - 06/30/20
The shadow of the load is cool
Posted By: LoadClear Re: A blast from the past - 07/01/20
Not to diminish your thread, but the last pic of the hawk's in an airrplane is a C-17, not a C-5
Posted By: deflave Re: A blast from the past - 07/01/20
Bad ass, Hawk.
Posted By: Kenlguy Re: A blast from the past - 07/01/20
Cool pics for sure, I'm sure you got more.

Don't hold out on us now. smile
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: A blast from the past - 07/01/20
Thanks all around!
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: A blast from the past - 07/01/20
Originally Posted by LoadClear
Not to diminish your thread, but the last pic of the hawk's in an airrplane is a C-17, not a C-5

To a rotorhead they all look pretty much alike. Big Ugly Fat Fuggers. laugh
Posted By: renegade50 Re: A blast from the past - 07/01/20
Gotta respect the medevac guys big time!
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: A blast from the past - 07/01/20
Thanks for sharing those!
Originally Posted by renegade50
Gotta respect the medevac guys big time!

Absolutely! I assume that big red cross on the side means no weapons on board?
Posted By: fuzzytail Re: A blast from the past - 07/01/20
The things some of you guys have done and been though just blows my mind. The things you and all have done for this country is amazing . I know lots have never made it home but glad you and the guys here did. Thanks for making that difference in our lives. Jere
Posted By: LoadClear Re: A blast from the past - 07/02/20
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Originally Posted by LoadClear

To a rotorhead they all look pretty much alike. Big Ugly Fat Fuggers. laugh

To some, maybe, but to me, the C-17 is a luxurious per diem/ cash printing machine that has gotten me laid on 3 continents, taken me from 5 star hotel to 5 star hotel, and even a few nasty sandboxes with little brown people shooting at me.

I went from a UH-60 Crew Chief to a UH-60 pilot, to a C-17 Loadmaster. No chit, I'd take (I actually did) an E job as a C-17 Loadmaster over a CWO job flying the -60. The quality of life difference is quite remarkable.

After 700 hours in the -60 (and TH-67) and 3500 in the C-17, I truly learned to appreciate a flushing toilet and 110V outlets at my chair in the -17.

I'm very glad however that I had the Army RW experience, since it allowed me to appreciate the USAF -17 experience that much more. laugh
© 24hourcampfire