Home
I was going through some of my notes trying to figure out a buck that should be about right to take this year and I noticed that over the years ive found quite a few native artifacts on this ranch over the years. Mostly spear points and tools but it got me to thinking of all the goodies Ive come across over the years. Finds always add to the hunt dynamic and make for some cool memories. Anyone? Sh8T piles and tp dont count for the jokers in the bunch.
Different kind of hunting, but I enjoy metal detecting. Mainly looking for old coins at home sites. Few things are more fun than seeing that unmistakable glint of silver in the dirt when you find an old coin. Will get your heart pumping.
found a piece of petrified tree root/bark? in our little creek while berry picking Monday.
Found petrified wood, rocks with leaf impressions on them, several dinosaur bones, parts of petrified deer antler, crinoids (fossilized plant), fossilized whale teeth/bones, fossilized shark or dinosaur poop, megaladon shark teeth. And the occasional point!
Pics of the points?
Bunch of us hunt for em also.
Be interesting to see em.
Indian artifacts thread is pretty active at times with those of us who look for em.
Buncha guy from across the country can help you ID them also if you need help with that.
It's interesting to know what they are and time frame they was made.
Projectile points.com is a good website for a info resource also.
We have a artifact thread that’s like 30 pages long going here, Don posted some points yesterday so it should be close to the top. There’s some really cool stuff in there from all over the country. You should take some pics and put them in there, I for one would love to see them. Behind critters and fish, arrowheads are my favorite things to hunt.
Human skeleton on a remote moose hunt up in Canada. Contacted the RCMP and they eventually told us it was probably a hunter/hiker they've been looking for for 3 years!
Nice chunk of fire blackened sandstone on an Indian mound in the San Saba river valley over the past weekend.
My friend and I were hunting out west and found a hub for a wagon wheel out in the middle of nowhere... atleast for us eastern fellas, it was pretty neat.
Once came upon a fork in the trail, and I took it.
These kids find some cool stuff. This is one of their best videos. Worth the watch.
A few of my junk finds while metal detecting. The broken arrowhead was found underneath something else that I dug. Sadly, the class ring was a cheapo, no precious metal. The spoons are silver plate though. The big triangular hunk is a piece of plumber's lead, I think.

[Linked Image from iili.io]
Nothing major, but found a very rusty mule shoe where an old town existed in the 1870s. Town was called a Nonchalanta , and located In west central Ks. Also found what appears to be a single grave about 1/2 mile from that town. Grave is in middle of a pasture and is a Slight depression In the ground and is encircled by an oval of limestone rocks.
A few interesting coin finds. Top left shows just how bad an old silver coin can deteriorate in the ground. Top right shows a silver dime with heavy circulation wear.

Bottom left shows that you get lucky every once in a while - I dug that sucker out from under 8 inches of heavily compacted driveway gravel, and it was pristine. I don't know how the gravel didn't grind it to a pulp.

Bottom right is a 1916 wheat penny with a couple of small caliber bullet strikes, found at the base of an old silver maple.

[Linked Image from iili.io]
An H+R 999 6". Still in good shape with only a couple spots on it. I found it under a pine tree when I was pulling traps at the end of the season. I'm thinking that was 1977. It has the transfer bar in it so it was fairly new,
Any of the remarkable things I’ve found weren’t cool at all. Unfortunately. My luck.
There’s the keys to my Coronet 440. Goddam that car.
Wish you could find my recognition plaque for 31 yrs service at Johns-Manville.
Originally Posted by 1minute
Once came upon a fork in the trail, and I took it.

Ok, Yogi.
Originally Posted by slumlord
Wish you could find my recognition plaque for 31 yrs service at Johns-Manville.

Nope but I did find the bitchin' screaming eagle you had hanging on the rear view mirror of that Coronet.

If I run across the asbestos recognition plaque or your roach clip with the colored feathers from the county fair, I will let you know
30-years ago I arrowed a nice buck from a tree stand. Passed all the way through. He bolted 25 or so yards, stood there, and I stuck him again. He took 3 or 4 steps (as I recall) and fell over. I never found the first arrow mostly becuase I took my eye off the spot to take a second shot. Time flies and 5-years ago my brother and I hunting pigs. This time with rifles. I'm re-telling the story of that archery buck way back when, I look down toward my feet, and there is that alumimun arros stuck in the ground right in front of me where it had been for 25-years! Only about 24" sticking out of the dirt that had been mud the day I shot it. Broadhead blades are all but gone, but the aluminum part of the broadhead was still there with the arrow and all 3 vanes. Amazed the vanes lasted that long!

besides fossils, the only really old stuff i found was a scraper made out of a fossilized toadstool and a small piece of rope pottery. both found in the river near my camp. i've found a lot of old coal mining and timbering stuff over the years. spikes, rails, hammer and pick heads, etc. most probably early 20th century.
I found a Remington 1100 on the back of the lot where I built my house. I guess somebody squirrel hunting and laid it down as the contractor found a pair of binoculars also. No wood left and I think the backhoe clearing the lot ran over it and bent the barrel about 30 degrees. Bolt rusted shut - probably loaded but who knows. It's hanging on the wall of my shop.

I did cover the rust with black Krylon.....
While looking for artifacts at a known campsite, I spotted a unusual looking stone in a spring near by. At first inspection I thought it maybe a fossilized vertebrae, but later a Professor at a local college declared it a cephalopod fossil. This piece is 4" high and 5" wide. The Prof said these creatures could have been several feet long. [Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Found this in Dixie Natl Forest. I was hunting for something take pictures of.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Not technically in the woods but in the wood. Cut up a bunch of firewood and while splitting it found a 8mm fmj that left a channel about 3 inches it what appeared to be a 4 inch sapling. 75 rings from the entrance
Found rusted shut 1873 Winchester Action. The barrel and stock were gone though.
I'm enjoying this thread. 25 year old lost arrows and dinosaurs bones, not to mention the lost guns.

Very cool. Once found a Buck folding knife. A budded out plant the illegal growers missed when harvesting. And a hard rock gold mine.

We’ll need a sister thread - What have you lost while hunting smile
When I was a teenager, while rabbit hunting, came upon a still, fire was still smouldering beneath it. We skeedaddled out of there, but took a flashlight and a machete with us.
Some good stuff and stories. Ive got a few things that i havent been able to ID. Ill try to get some pics up so erbody can take a look.

As for the thing weve lost thread.....man the embarrassment may be over whelming. Its pretty painfulto recall and I concluded that South Fork, Colorado swallowed something that i really liked. Ill just say it started with an Accu and ended with a mark.
Found some horse hobbles hanging near 10 feet up in a ponderosa pine. Person must have been riding a high horse, or walking atop deep snow when he hung them up. Don't know how old, but the end swaying in the breeze had worn about 90% of the way through the connecting chain. Leather was near petrified.

Morewood:
Ok, Yogi

No. Really did find a nice heavy silver plated fork about 1/2 way up to timberline in Wyoming's Greys River drainage, and it still goes with the camp gear.
© 24hourcampfire