Home
Having watched people walk through my neighborhood wearing a mask, driving their autos alone, working in their yards, masked up in the grocery store like they were walking through the Ebola ward. I'm thinking spreading the word across the nation that wearing ladies sanitary napkins held in place with rubber bands are far superior to the store-bought masks. Any ideas on how to this idea?
What kills me is people who wear one with their nose out. That's like cutting the tip off a condom.
i told a lady the other day that question me not wearing a mask that I had had it and was recovered. Didn't need one. She vacated rather quickly... Wife said i was terrible and snickered!!!!!!
PPE is the new lucky rabbits foot. Just watch the people who wear gloves, never change them or wash their hands, then touch their face with the gloved hand. It is rather gross.
Originally Posted by Marbles
PPE is the new lucky rabbits foot. Just watch the people who wear gloves, never change them or wash their hands, then touch their face with the gloved hand. It is rather gross.

People are gross, mask or no mask, gloves or no gloves.

It's best to not watch them at all.
Originally Posted by arkypete
Having watched people walk through my neighborhood wearing a mask, driving their autos alone, working in their yards, masked up in the grocery store like they were walking through the Ebola ward. I'm thinking spreading the word across the nation that wearing ladies sanitary napkins held in place with rubber bands are far superior to the store-bought masks. Any ideas on how to this idea?

Do it I think it would be a great idea and worth a good laugh as the fools would believe it.
grin
I'm in favor of wearing a pair of small jockey shorts as a mask, with the butt cut out and the elastic waistband holding it in place. Preferrably a new pair that's never been worn! One from the boys' underwear department should be a pretty good size.
Jerry
Originally Posted by Armednfree
What kills me is people who wear one with their nose out. That's like cutting the tip off a condom.

Well if you can't breathe then you need to clear your nose. And working in hot conditions makes a mask almost impossible to bear.
Any ideas on how to this idea?

I have an idea: you lead it out by doing it yourself, and when people question you, tell them your are an infectious disease researcher and this is how you guys do it at the lab and all that.

Post vids and pics so we can make them go viral.
A mask really jacks up my awesome moustache

Cool, got a pic of how ya look!
These people wearing cloth masks and cowboy handkerchiefs have to be some stupid idiots.

Those aren’t going to stop jack squat from getting in - if they do come in contact with someone.
Originally Posted by tpcollins
These people wearing cloth masks and cowboy handkerchiefs have to be some stupid idiots.

Many are doing it just to comply with requirements for a face covering.
The best so far - at the beach, in the water. Another young girl at the lake near my house wearing a bathing suit, flotation device, and about to take her sunfish sailboat out. Maybe she's worried that the fish in the lake have Covid. I also like the joggers wearing masks.
Originally Posted by Jerseyboy
I also like the joggers wearing masks.

I’ve long practiced social distancing from joggers, masked or not.

Those aren’t going to stop jack squat from getting in - if they do come in contact with someone.

It ain't about not getting sick.It is about not getting a ticket, or about not losing your job around here.

Kate Brown (Gov of OR) has mandated masks in public. It is a condition of employment at many places. And yes, it is a joke to make the sheep all feel better.

At Walmart last week a cashier was wearing a pink crocheted mask.
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
At Walmart last week a cashier was wearing a pink crocheted mask.
Does about as much good as a crocheted condom. The virus is .06 microns in size.
While a virus can go through all but the most sophisticated masks, disease spread is to some extent a numbers game. Cloth masks do stop droplets to some extent and are therefore of real benefit in slowing spread - which is the numbers game. Surgeons have known this for many decades. Their masks are now much better, but anything that is kept from the patient improves their chances.

I wore the old masks in the operating room and I'm wearing one these days when in proximity of others.
If you sneeze with a cloth mask on, a big snot wad might get caught up in the mask...but the countless numbers of virus particles contained in that sneeze are gonna go right through that mask as if it isn’t even there.
A mesh hunting mask or even cheesecloth or nylon paint strainer meets all requirement of any mask restricted area. And they are a hell of a lot easier to breathe through.
Originally Posted by antlers
virus particles contained in that sneeze are gonna go right through

Do you think the virus particles are expelled on their own?
Copy and paste into your browser, if true, looks like masks will help.

https://www.facebook.com/1460567524042828/posts/2590920527674183/
Originally Posted by Stickfight
virus particles contained in that sneeze are gonna go right through
Do you think the virus particles are expelled on their own?
”...contained in that sneeze...”
...contained in that sneeze...”

Yes, those are the ones I’m asking about.

Do you believe the virus will pass through the mask because the virus itself is smaller than the mask’s holes?
Originally Posted by Muskrat2090
Copy and paste into your browser, if true, looks like masks will help.

https://www.facebook.com/1460567524042828/posts/2590920527674183/
Those tests are growing *bacteria* on those Petri dishes, ‘not’ virus particles. Bacteria are significantly larger than virus particles that are .06 microns in size. Not even a valid comparison. At all.
...contained in that sneeze...”
Yes, those are the ones I’m asking about. Do you believe the virus will pass through the mask because the virus itself is smaller than the mask’s holes?
Without a doubt.
Without a doubt.

How about the ones in the snot wad, or are there none?
If you sneeze with a cloth mask on, a big snot wad might get caught up in the mask...but the countless numbers of virus particles contained in that sneeze are gonna go right through that mask as if it isn’t even there.

A bit hyperbolic, but as I said, it's a numbers game.
" . . . people . . . wearing a mask, driving their autos alone . . . "

This is the reason they put instructions on how to prepare PopTarts. The scary thing is these people can vote.
Without a doubt.
lol

Snot wad or not, the countless numbers of virus particles contained in that sneeze are gonna go right through that cloth mask as if it’s not even there.
Without a doubt.
lol

The one’s in the snot wad are more than negated by the one’s that aren’t in the snot wad.
I read somewhere (maybe here) that using a mask to stop covid was like using underwear to stop a fart.

So maybe the storyline should be: "I'm participating in a Covid infection prevention study. They don't tell us who is on the treatment, or who is on the placebo, but I'm doing my part".
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Riding in a vehicle alone with a mask is like lying in bed alone with a condom on.

The stupid is getting stronger every day.
Originally Posted by blindshooter
Riding in a vehicle alone with a mask on is like lying in bed alone with a condom on.
true dat
The one’s in the snot wad are more than negated by the one’s that aren’t in the snot wad.

I appreciate your replying twice, even though it was an accident.

In your experience the volume of infectious particles isn’t related to the chance of infection?
I dont too much give a sht if they want wear a mask or not but Sunday there was three guys fishing in a retention pond across from my place. They all had masks on and it was in the middle of a thunderstorm with the lighting warning alarm going off every three minutes over at the soccer fields 200 yards behind them. Now that did get me scratching my head.
I appreciate your replying twice, even though it was an accident.
It was intentional.
In your experience the volume of infectious particles isn’t related to the chance of infection?
There’s volume, and then there’s VOLUME. In the case of sneezing .06 micron virus particles through a cloth mask...without a snot wad getting caught up in the mask it’s gonna be VOLUME; and even with a snot wad getting caught up in the mask it’s still gonna be VOLUME.
It was intentional.

Sure it was.

There’s volume, and then there’s VOLUME.

So yes, they are related. Thanks!
I sneezed a couple of days ago in Walmart. I felt it coming on and figured it would go over about as well as a fart in church. When i got my bearings after the fifth one, i noticed i was all alone in the aisle.
Originally Posted by Blu_Cs
I read somewhere that using a mask to stop covid was like using underwear to stop a fart.
Clearly, wearing a cloth mask to protect against a virus where each particle is smaller than 1/1000th of a mm makes some people ‘feel’ safer.
1. Does it reduce how far an expelled virus will travel?
2. Does it reduce the area that expelled virus will cover?
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
I'm in favor of wearing a pair of small jockey shorts as a mask, with the butt cut out and the elastic waistband holding it in place. Preferrably a new pair that's never been worn! One from the boys' underwear department should be a pretty good size.
Jerry

I’m concerned that you sound pretty sure on the required sizes...
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

https://www.infectioncontroltoday.com/view/cloth-masks-are-useless-against-covid-19

“I don’t necessarily discourage the public from wearing them (cloth masks) if it makes them ‘feel’ comfortable, but I hope they don’t think that they’re protecting themselves.” - Lisa Brosseau, ScD, is a nationally recognized expert on infectious diseases.

https://www.infectioncontroltoday.com/view/cloth-masks-are-useless-against-covid-19

Read what you linked.....I didn't read all of it and stopped as soon as I read the following. I'm not pushing masks but there's as much BS against them as there is for them. Quote below directly from the article you linked. She states it as diminishing the viral load in the air in a healthcare setting. It would do the same out of a health care setting.

But it’s a good option for patients to wear in healthcare settings where they-especially for those who are experiencing symptoms-to what I would call diminish the viral load. Basically, decrease the amount of particles, infectious particles in the air in a healthcare setting.

I noticed you edited your post. It's not about protecting the person wearing it.
She states it as diminishing the viral load in the air in a healthcare setting. It would do the same out of a health care setting.
In a healthcare setting, they deal with patients who are critically ill with fulminant infections, and the virus is aerosolized in conditions where they suction the airway, and do endotracheal intubations and extubations. The viral load is WAY different with these patients compared to people in public. And the aerosolized conditions described above are certainly different than the conditions you’d encounter in public. These are conditions unique to caring for critically ill infected patients in the healthcare setting, and are NOT the same as those outside of the healthcare setting.
I noticed you edited your post.
?
She states it as diminishing the viral load in the air in a healthcare setting. It would do the same out of a health care setting.
In a healthcare setting, they deal with patients who are critically ill with fulminant infections, and the virus is aerosolized in conditions where they suction the airway, and do endotracheal intubations and extubations. The viral load is WAY different with these patients compared to people in public. And the aerosolized conditions described above are certainly different that those you’d encounter in public. These are conditions unique to caring for critically ill infected patients in the healthcare setting, and are NOT the same as those outside of the healthcare setting.

The premise of reducing the viral load in the air is the same.
virus is aerosolized

Masks stop wearers from inhaling aerosolized virus but not the ones that come out of a guy’s mouth who spits when he talks?

Thanks in advance!
In a healthcare setting, they deal with patients who are critically ill with fulminant infections, and the virus is aerosolized in conditions where they suction the airway, and do endotracheal intubations and extubations. The viral load is WAY different with these patients compared to people in public. And the aerosolized conditions described above are certainly different that those you’d encounter in public. These are conditions unique to caring for critically ill infected patients in the healthcare setting, and are NOT the same as those outside of the healthcare setting.
The premise of reducing the viral load in the air is the same.
She says cloth masks are useless against Covid-19. She’s an infectious disease expert. If wearing a cloth mask makes you feel better, then have at it. Nobody’s tellin’ you not to wear one.
Jesus, people are stupid sheep, easily led to both the pasture and the slaughterhouse.
virus is aerosolized
Only under certain circumstances in the healthcare setting, described earlier.
Masks stop wearers from inhaling aerosolized virus but not the ones that come out of a guy’s mouth who spits when he talks?
Cloth masks are useless against Coronavirus. There’s a difference between ‘airborne spread’ and ‘droplet spread’...like the guy “who spits when he talks”. Significant difference. Aerosolized (‘airborne’) means that the virus can remain suspended in the air.
Thanks in advance!
laffin’
Cloth masks are useless against Coronavirus.

Why, two posts ago, were you suggesting they have value when health care workers wear them?
Originally Posted by SAcharlie

Cool, got a pic of how ya look!

Well when he wears the feminine napkin over his face and has a diildo in each ear he kinda looks like you on a normal day.
Cloth masks are useless against Coronavirus.
Why, two posts ago, were you defending health care workers wearing them?
lol

Nope. Not at all.
The 1st major stage of indoctrination is now complete.....................

MM
Nope. Not at all.

So cloth masks don’t do anything in a healthcare setting, only respirators?

Why do surgeons wear them when operating?
So cloth masks don’t do anything in a healthcare setting...
Not against Coronavirus.
Why do surgeons wear them when operating?
lol

Surgeons don’t operate on patients with active Covid-19 infections if at all possible. They wait until the infection has cleared. If they must though because waiting is not possible, surgeons don’t wear cloth masks when operating on patients with active Covid-19 infections.

lol some more

Yesterday, I literally saw a woman wearing a mask in the grocery store, she got the urge to sneeze, and she removed the mask to sneeze because she didn't want the mask to get gross.
<No editorial comment required here>

Those stupid idiots are not wearing them to keep disease our.They are meant to keep you from spreading it should you have it and not know it..Now who is the stupid one. There are more stupid people in this world who can't come to grips with this basic fact. Many of them on here. Probably don't wear a seat belt or a helmet if riding a motorcycle either because you don't want others to think you are living in fear.

Wearing a mask is just common courtesy to let others know you care enough to not spread disease to others should you have it and not know it.Something that is lacking on this forum also.
I saw this on another forum yesterday. I have no idea how old the poster is or anything else related to him, but it seemed like a reasonable response. From his tone where he mentions grandfathers and fathers going to war, I'm guessing maybe Baby Boomer age. I bolded his comments here.

Wearing a mask is not a favorite thing of mine, but if it might help with this covid mess and keep it from spreading a bit, and at the same time if someone else might be more comfortable in public seeing me with a mask, I'll wear one without fail. It has absolutely no effect on how I view myself.

I saw a statement made at the first of this pandemic: It went along the lines of, "Our grandfathers and fathers sacrificed and gave up everything at home and went to war in foreign places to keep us safe. All they are asking of us at this time is to stay home when possible and wear a mask when out in the public. Our generation can handle this."

With all of the griping that goes on constantly, sometimes I wonder.

Of course since this is the 24 HCF, YMMV on what this guy's thought are. laugh
Originally Posted by saddlesore

Those stupid idiots are not wearing them to keep disease our.They are meant to keep you from spreading it should you have it and not know it..Now who is the stupid one. There are more stupid people in this world who can't come to grips with this basic fact. Many of them on here. Probably don't wear a seat belt or a helmet if riding a motorcycle either because you don't want others to think you are living in fear.

Wearing a mask is just common courtesy to let others know you care enough to not spread disease to others should you have it and not know it.Something that is lacking on this forum also.

Yes.

People keep talking about the Japanese wearing masks.
They only wear them when they know they are sick...
Americans are wearing them like putting a condom on before going out to a bar, hoping they will get some play...
Not against Coronavirus.

In the article you linked, the author stated that surgical masks reduce viral load in a healthcare setting. What is special about coronavirus? (Or is she just wrong?)
Not against Coronavirus.
In the article you linked, the author stated that surgical masks reduce viral load in a healthcare setting.
lol

But we’re not talking about “surgical masks”. We’ve been talking about “cloth masks”. She (a nationally recognized expert on infectious diseases) clearly stated in the article I linked, “cloth masks in my opinion don’t work in any form. They aren’t very good at source control, except for maybe very large particles. And they should not be used in healthcare settings...”.

still lol
hell i've had to go into the city the past 2 days and i saw city f uckheads riding bicycles with a mask on. walking down the street too. wtf. so glad i live in the country.
A numbers game:

[video:youtube]https://www.foxnews.com[/video]

Stop that ,, you made me laugh so hard I almost pissed my pants..
My wife's SIL is sick from fear of Covid. .Totally nuts

With or without the female attached? Could nake a huge difference in the marketing plan.
But we’re not talking about “surgical masks”. We’ve been talking about “cloth masks”. She (a nationally recognized expert on infectious diseases)

Maybe the difference is semantic? I thought “cloth masks” included a subset “surgical masks”, thinking they are made of cloth, but it seems they are made of fabric.

And you’ve mentioned several times the lady is a nationally recognized expert. There are other nationally recognized experts who’ve said masks are effective.

It would be good to compare case increases between similar areas that mandate masks versus don’t.

Well, the sanitary napkins make way better heavy lifting bandages than the masks. I keep a stash in the first aid kits partly for that reason. Fun fact-WW 1 nurses developed the prototype for the modern pad. Cellucotton (sp?) bandages were their material of choice. They soaked up blood better than the cloth bandages.
More on the numbers

https://www.foxnews.com/health/bandana-is-least-effective-face-mask-material-study-finds
Please help me reason this through..
If you believe masks are an answer and you are comfortable being mandated to wear one.. why do you care if I don't wear one?
Yours works...right??

There is no threat of "overwhelming the health care system". That's already been proven bogus.
I have a baclava-style mask with a grinning skull silkscreened on it that I wear while riding my Harley. I wear it around my neck. If a place insists that I wear a mask, I just pull it up over my nose.
a box of nitrile gloves at harbor freight was $13.99 today, and they had 6 boxes in stock.

normally they are $7.99 or on sale for $5.99
6 blind men on an elephant.
Originally Posted by longarm
Please help me reason this through..
If you believe masks are an answer and you are comfortable being mandated to wear one.. why do you care if I don't wear one?
Yours works...right??

There is no threat of "overwhelming the health care system". That's already been proven bogus.

I'm not pushing the masks but to help you reason through it you need to understand that the mask isn't to protect the person wearing it. It's to reduce the number and range of virus's passed from the person wearing it.....same idea as covering a cough or sneeze, the stuff just doesn't go as far.
Thanks JCM. Yes, I've heard that.
My point was more along the lines of if masks work to protect the wearer from incoming viruses, then what difference does it make to them if I'm wearing one or not?
Here in Oregon it is now required to wear one indoors in public places. So I can walk or drive downtown to get a beer w/o one.. then I have to wear one to cross the threshold of a restaurant.. and once in I can take it off again to enjoy my beer. How does this make any sense?
I'm not pushing the masks but to help you reason through it you need to understand that the mask isn't to protect the person wearing it.
So the same barrier, a cloth mask in this case, doesn’t provide protection on one side of the barrier (to the wearer)...but does provide protection on the other side of the barrier (to others)...?
It’s to reduce the number and range of virus's passed from the person wearing it.....
Even though it doesn’t reduce the number and range of virus’s passed to the person wearing it...?
Antlers,
That's exactly what I was getting at with my question, thanks.
I've asked this question in a few different places and I've yet to receive an answer..
Anybody that thinks a mask cleans the air of viruses, thinks underwear cleans the air, of farts.
Where's the spoof?
© 24hourcampfire