Home

I think I’m going to add finding them to my bucket list... all I have ever heard is walk a newly plowed field after a rain and look for them.

At this point, I need more help than that... if you know a good book let me know.
My grandfather and father gathered quite the collection over the decades. Find some sand where the Indians wintered. Most of what they found was out on the western Idaho desert. I have found quite a few myself, in Utah, Idaho on both public and private land.

I just found a couple... ultimate guide and bill Clinton’s yes you can find broadheads
I’m in Eastern KS, but grew up in upstate NY... either way I’d love to finally find one, I haven’t looked since I was a kid... but darn it I should be able to find one - with any luck
Yes, this guy owes me some royalties.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Get a kayak
I used to find heads and tools all the time in AZ and UT but no idea how to go about it in the East. I’ve heard the stuff about fresh plowed fields and all but it’s just way different than what I’m used to
Originally Posted by slumlord
Get a kayak

Huh.. you run along side the rivers, and look on sand bars ?

I live close to the Kansas River ... heck I live really close to the confluence of the Kansas and Missouri Rivers - Lewis & Clark camped there, and that spot is a park now.
Chapter 1. Look Down
Well I just ordered it off Amazon so ....

Yes, this guy owes me some royalties.

Gravel bars, take your time.

Train your eyes to look for edges in the media not just whole arrowheads.
Not sure about the plowed field deal, there aren't many of them in the parts where I hunt and fish.

Train your eye to notice little differences in the soil, the rocks laying around, even at times what plants are growing in an area. Anything uncommon is a sign to keep your eyes open. Kind of like noticing an apple tree, a pear tree, and a rose bush in the forest means there's likely an abandoned homestead around.

While looking for tracks and sign, I noticed this was a bit different color than surrounding rock and dirt:

This is what the other side looked like when turned over:

Someone painted them lines on there and it likely wasn't no White Man.

Good luck, I hope your book search is fruitful.
Don’t set out expecting see something like this guy sticking out on a pedestal.

Haha, it happens...but you need to bring a mop handle or a walking stick, to flip any glint of flint out of the mud. Most of the time you’ll only see a corner, an edge or a piece of material that stands out from other surround, competing media. As with a heatt treated glossy or glassy appearance. Not always though, just depends on your local geology and also possible use of trade rock like agate or obsidian.
High spots overlooking small creeks, even better if it’s on the north side of the creek. At least that’s a good indication of a likely spot around these parts.
I've been looking for arrow heads for 40 years and only found one spear point so far. And ended up giving it to the new land owner as a house warming gift.
Probe walk " new " ground to confirm or eliminate.
You might be surprised what a " nothing" spot turns out to be.

Knock on some doors also.
Worst they can say is no.
1 spot I got access to last year for me and slumlord would be pretty good if they didnt no till the place I bet.

Your eye will get trained eventually to spot them outta the natrual rock that aint been worked.
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Get a kayak

Huh.. you run along side the rivers, and look on sand bars ?

I live close to the Kansas River ... heck I live really close to the confluence of the Kansas and Missouri Rivers - Lewis & Clark camped there, and that spot is a park now.

I've talked to a fellow at the KC Gem and Mineral show a couple of times that floats the Kaw and finds an amazing amount of items. He's mostly looking for bones and has found mammoth tusks, buffalo skulls and even a musk ox skull (how long since they roamed Kansas?)... lots and lots of ancient bones but he had quite a few points, several paleo. He finally bought an airboat like they use in swamps since the river is so shallow and sandy. When he would set up at the show he would have an entire room for his display and have videos of his finds. I asked him how often he found something and he told me that he makes finds every time.
#4 son found 2 arrowheads on Tuesday, neither were whole.

Over the years, sons have found many.......walking the creek beds after the drain-off of a heavy rain, corners especially.

This area has many. At an estate auction north of the house, a couple larger heads brought over $200. Talking to the son.....'Dad' found most around my creek, many years ago.

Sons found most all in the creek beds......a few in the lowland tillable.

no books here

bottoms of south facing rock wall faces.......

find drawings.....etchings you'll find arrowheads

flint scrap piles also.....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Natives were drawing pics of these guys __________ of years ago.......

Still around & doing well !

Back in the 1950s we hunted desert big horn in in Bryce and Canyon Lands, Arches, before they became National Parks, we camped on the Colorado river just north of Moab Utah. We also floated the Grand Canyon on Colorado with the Hatch brothers, before they damned the Colorado, at Glen Canyon,
Lots of native sign in that area,
Originally Posted by Morewood
Chapter 1. Look Down

That could be a whole book. My father found them in places where I least expected. Like a weed-littered lot behind a rural gas station.
Near where I grew up, there's a large piece of state public hunting land. It runs along the Potomac River. That area was heavily settled by Indians. When I was a kid, my father used to take me out and hit those fields in the Spring after they plowed and it rained. That was his strategy. Most of the heads and points were white quartz which makes them easier to see once the rain washes them off.
Slumlord mentions the flipping stick. Absolute must have piece of kit, saves you from bending over 632 times to look at every white or shiny rock. We make them out of a golf club shaft. Glue a small carriage bolt or large headed self tapping screw into the end of the shaft so you can use the washer head to hook under and flip stuff. Super lightweight and doubles for whopping snakes if the need arises.
Cookie and I find some points once in while, but not really much of substance. Having several obsidian sources of various colors in the region and a good bit on our property, I took up knocking out my own. Look really great mounted in shadow boxes. A challenging but cheap hobby good for empting the mind when affairs start getting to one. Several how to books and videos out there. Some of the best books are by a gentleman with Waldorf as a last name.

Pepsi bottle cap for scale,

and a quarter (about 1 inch wide) for scale here.

In the arid west proximity to good perennial water or food sources. When I lived back east good river bottom crop lands.

If one can't find nearby flint, glass bottle bottoms or even broken up toilet tanks are good materials.
A measured 4 1/4 inches
Those spear points are breath-taking! My father found several, including two that qualify as "Clovis" points, and were dated 10k-7k BC.
Just go to the opposite end from the fletching.
High ground near water source either plowed or dig em out! Have permission first!

g
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
I've been looking for arrow heads for 40 years and only found one spear point so far. And ended up giving it to the new land owner as a house warming gift.

I've found near a bushel right off Cochran Short Route.. in one location. Hunt spring after plowing to plant.
I’ll be durn, back in the 50s, I was gettin ready to lay ‘er down after 30 years at Johns Manville

😂
© 24hourcampfire