Home
Cowboys, any other term for county types, what is the difference, and does it matter?
Just so we are deplorable to Hillary. laugh
I was born a deplorable Hillbilly. and never changed... Thanks.
If I’m being called names by libs I know I’m doing the right thing. Ed k

You forgot us deplorable Cajuns A.K.A........Coon Asses !!!!!
Originally Posted by ERK

I wholeheartedly endorse this position.
dpd, would that be the same as a Swamp Dweller?
Minnesota version - Jack Pine Savage.
Hayseeds, Hay Shakers.
Desert rats!
Sourdoughs
Cen\Tx cedar choppers.
Country Boy.

Cotton Picker, Pea Picker.
If someone goes by one of these name don't call them one of the other names.

I have been around people that uses one of the above names to describe themselves. That is fine with me I just try not to use them so I don't offend someone else.
Hick is used here.

Pap came from a coalmining town, early 1900's.
Everyone there were immigrants or first gen (he was 1st gen) either Italian or Eastern European.
I think that's where Mom got the Hunkie thing.

Any time we acted too unsophisticated, she would tell us to stop acting like
a bunch of Hunkies. Damn Hunkies meant she was mad.

Run to the windows and look out at a car in the drivway.
Holler out the window at someone.
Sit in the car listening to the radio.
Leave the car on a block while waiting for parts.

"You make us look like a bunch of damn Hunkies".

I don't think she ever really thought of it as slandering someone's ethnicity.
Pap used it so much, she picked it up and just used it.

Dam shame a bunch of people can't understand that.
To be offended by that would be understandable, to get truly butt hurt, is a waste
of emotion on someone that doesn't care enough to try to insult you.
Prune pickers; for those who migrated to CA in the 50's.
Bumpkin.
Originally Posted by dpd

I’m just a “half-ass”, 1/2 Coon Ass....the other half is Redneck/Hillbilly! memtb
Iron Rangers, or just Rangers.
Originally Posted by dpd

Cajuns aka "Coon Asses" are rednecks that wear rubber boots and are mostly Catholic.
a very good thread like me turn right on dirt road = redneck
If'n y'all ain't from the mountains, don't be cultural appropriating our "hillbilly" moniker...
North roaders
End of the roaders
Wood burners
BENNYs
Valley trash
Around here it's hillbilly, redneck or woodchuck. Then of course there's the real deplorables, most often referred to as city slickers.

Originally Posted by Orion2000
If'n y'all ain't from the mountains, don't be cultural appropriating our "hillbilly" moniker...

It's "Appalacian American" . . . grin (where's the grin with one tooth?)
I have been called a f--k`n Redneck for years but then again people do leave me alone.
I'm the family's redneck - so sez the city-dwellers' inlaws... I'm proud.. smile
Originally Posted by murkydismal

Grew up in Santa Clara (Silicon) Valley in the late 50s , that's what my dad called them.
Im not sure what you call, eastern oregon mountain raised folks! I guess we are mountain jacks, rednecks, hillbillies and country boys, some even call themselves cowboys! But the wife calls me as.hole most of the time!
Where I’m from roughneck is the title for guys who work on drilling rigs.
Originally Posted by Orion2000

I thought the word mountains was verboten and instead they'z be hills with hollers.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Cowboys, any other term for county types, what is the difference, and does it matter?
Just so we are deplorable to Hillary. laugh
Iowa? Snort!
In southern WV redneck meant union miners. Back during the mine wars the union miners wore a red bandana around their necks.
I read somewhere about a redneck taking his hat off and standing for the National Anthem. I don’t remember the rest of it, but I love my country and I love my God and my family. Color my neck RED! I’m damn proud of it.
7mm
Hollar honeys.
White trash.
Peckerwoods.
Hill folk/Mountain folk.
Sons of the soil.
Sod Buster (Wabigoon shoulda got that one)
[bleep] kicker.
Originally Posted by TheKid

this
Originally Posted by Craigster
Originally Posted by murkydismal

Grew up in Santa Clara (Silicon) Valley in the late 50s , that's what my dad called them.

Can confirm. Parents came from Oklahoma looking for work and the slang was prune pickers. Santa Clara valley back in those days was rich farmland. They worked for a big farm/orchard.
"People call me Bubba, just like one of dem redneck boys. Can you believe dat"?

I’ve always heard “em” called hill jacks.
To quote JC, cow farmer!

Tuesday, 8-9 miles to the next pasture.

"Don't fence me in", eh Sam?
Nope!

Been a Cracker or Conch my whole life.
Sam, how many acres for a pair?
Richard, rough idea/guess, 5-10 acres per month for a pair.
(BLM is rated higher, CMR is rated lower)

I used to know the stocking rates but have a terrible memory.

Amazing rain out there this year so the living is easy. The pasture we moved out of was untouched in a lot of places. Way under-grazed, which of course isn't a bad thing.
Hillbilly here. Appalachian-American is the more sensitive and politically correct term these days.
The two most common around here that I hear are "good ole boys" and "rednecks". I've heard it said that rednecks are just the good ole boys that fight their friends when there is no one else to fight with.

Hillbilly is fairly common for outsiders to call us.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
dpd, would that be the same as a Swamp Dweller?

Pretty close !!!!
Originally Posted by ERK

This redneck agrees.
River rats.
Originally Posted by TheKid

Yep. Me 2. Drilling rig hands.

Oilfield trash for the workers. Millionaires for the oil field company owners-many who started out as oil field trash. Talk about a metamorphosis.

When oilfield trash gets on the banks board of directors....

PS. They provide the gas for your car, Gayghost, sac, Leroy....and they don't vote dimocrap.
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Hollar honeys.
White trash.
Peckerwoods.
Hill folk/Mountain folk.
Sons of the soil.
[bleep] kicker.

Trailer park....
Originally Posted by SamOlson
To quote JC, cow farmer!

Tuesday, 8-9 miles to the next pasture.

In Texas- schiett kicker.
I'm proud to be a heterosexual, white, Appalachian male. The last group in America that anybody can say anything about, good or bad, and nobody gives a damn. Any two bit comic can accuse us of incest, laziness, ignorance, violence, having poor hygiene, bestiality, and get a big laugh with no consequences. We have enough self worth to ignore it, go about our business, and not blame the world for our problems.
Ole Boy is the title for a fella that you know can cobble something together and get it going, or tell you how to. An Ole Boy usually doesn’t wear a suit unless he’s getting buried and probably drives the same pickup he did back when you first met him. More than likely has a good sized iron pile out back for building and patching things and maybe a goat or two on the place, most definitely a few dogs.

“There’s an Ole Boy over there south of Pumpkin Center that can get your old outboard up an going” or “I knew an Ole Boy when I lived down by Ravia that could really fix up them old Massey tractors and get em running, just have em singing like a sewing machine” “Go down to the hardware store at the bottom of the hill and tell that Ole Boy how your old Frigidaire is acting up, he’ll get her going”
That kind of fellow.
Originally Posted by jaguartx

In Texas- schiett kicker.

Chit kickers on my feet 365 days a year.
Good yellow clover year.
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Hollar honeys.
White trash.
Peckerwoods.
Hill folk/Mountain folk.
Sons of the soil.
[bleep] kicker.

I always heard Peckerwood is a derogatory term that black people use for white people they think are racist...At least where I grew up in the South...The white people would usually reserve the Peckerwood label for the tough country boys you wouldn't want to start any trouble with...
© 24hourcampfire