Home
Posted By: 358wsm Hey.! Tell me about 4X4 Quads - 07/05/20

Most of my motorized off roading has been done in either a CJ or Pickup.

I'm looking to get into a good 4 Wheel Drive Quad.

If going "New" what machine should I be looking at.?
If going used, what should I be looking for, and what would be a reasonable price to pay.?

Most here hate em, but I'm on my second Polaris in 24 years, the only reason I sold my '96 year model Sportsman 500 was to get an '07 Sportsman 700, have done nothing but regular maintenance for both.
One you ride, or a SxS you sit in and drive?
New or used I'd be looking for a Yamaha 700 Grizzly.
(assuming you meant 4-wheeler)

Some guys like Honda.

We move cows in some fairly rough country with ATV/UTV's and the Grizzly is a very good machine.

If speaking hard use and a UTV I'd get a Honda. We have a 900 Ranger and it's been fine but I don't bomb around too hard in that machine.
Ask ranchers and farmers...they thrash those things hard, day after day.
Yamaha or Honda, look no where else in my opinion. If you don't plan to tow or snow plow with it get a 350 or 450 size machine. It will be lighter and in some models smaller and more nimble. The electric power steering(EPS) is worth having. Buy a bright color, yellow, red, lime green, etc. so you can find it when you park it in the woods.
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Some guys like Honda.

We move cows in some fairly rough country with ATV/UTV's and the Grizzly is a very good machine.

Good info Sam, thanks.

Rockinbbar, one I sit ON versus one I sit in.
We've had Yamaha, Polaris, Honda, Artic Cats at the farm for over 20 years

Hondas always start
Polaris good
Yamaha harder to start, run a little cold
Arctic Cat takes after its name, hard to start below 40

Now some of these were older models and not fuel injected which is a Godsend

KC

I plan on running in deep snow on occasion, and lots of mud, as well as climbing moss covered wet rocks and logs, and crossing some streams...rough going kind of stuff, and towing a small aluminum boat back in.

What would be the base model designation for the Grizzly 700, you know, without the GPS, and other non essentials.

Thanks for all the responses guys.

Originally Posted by 358wsm

I have a Honda Rancher 4x4 I bought new in 2006.

Won't run 70mph, but will get you about anywhere you want to go.

Had a Honda before that, and it was running fine when I sold it. It was only about 15 years old when I sold it. wink
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Had a Honda before that, and it was running fine when I sold it. It was only about 15 years old when I sold it. wink

Gotcha.
I dont need excessive speed, I'm done racing... I just want to be able to get in...and get out.

Gotcha.
I dont need excessive speed, I'm done racing... I just want to be able to get in...and get out.

Whatever you get, get EFI.

The crappy ethanol gasoline now causes problems with old carburetors.

I have to run ethanol free gasoline. In fact, everything that runs on gas now gets that. I won't buy gas at the regular pump anymore.
I still have a 2004 Honda Foreman Rubicon 500 that's been a great machine, but it has led a pretty pampered life! Plowed a little snow, done a little hunting, mostly just putter around... change the oil... putter around...
Totally agree about the ethanol gas, only use premium w/o any ethanol.
Yamaha Grizzly or Yamaha Rhino. I had a Grizzly and traded up to the Rhino. Both are great machines, and trouble free/bulletproof.
Originally Posted by VaHunter
Yamaha or Honda, look no where else in my opinion. If you don't plan to tow or snow plow with it get a 350 or 450 size machine. It will be lighter and in some models smaller and more nimble. The electric power steering(EPS) is worth having. Buy a bright color, yellow, red, lime green, etc. so you can find it when you park it in the woods.

I had one of the original Honda 110 three wheelers, it was red, if it had been green I would have lost it, more than once!

I'll Be sure to get EFI

What Honda would be in the same class as the Yamaha 700 Grizz.?

Would you buy New or Used.?

I'm basically looking for a Workhorse - figure I cant really go wrong with either of those two options...and YES those Honda motors always seem to start.

Hard to beat a Honda.
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk
Yamaha Grizzly or Yamaha Rhino. I had a Grizzly and traded up to the Rhino. Both are great machines, and trouble free/bulletproof.

They quit making the Rhino in 2012.

Honda Rancher vs Honda Foreman vs Yamaha Grizz.?

What are the Pros vs Cons.?
We like the Hondas we use .
I have an 07 700 Grizzly. I like it but I had to do the stator upgrade for reliability. This is only for the first two years of production. I had an 04 Grizzly 660 and it is a beast. I got the 07 because it has EFI. One time I had to use my wife's blow dryer to heat the 660's carb in cold weather to get it started. The belt drive is nice but if you get the belt wet it will slip. I don't ford water or go through deep mud holes.

I'll Be sure to get EFI

What Honda would be in the same class as the Yamaha 700 Grizz.?

Would you buy New or Used.?

I'm basically looking for a Workhorse - figure I cant really go wrong with either of those two options...and YES those Honda motors always seem to start.

Your profile says "Alaska" but doesn't say where so perhaps my statement won't apply due to remoteness.

The 1st thing I'd look for regarding what you're looking for in a "hard-use" machine would be which dealer had the best service dept.
I like my big CanAM , and I do beat hell out of it on a daily basis, moving and checking cattle and fences , hauling mineral and salt , .......The big Yamahas are my second choice , and I still have my 660 grizzly for a backup

reliability has been mostly a tossup IME , and Ive never run anything but 10% ethanol in either one......no problems with the gas

That's a pretty impressive track record right there.

I'm thinking about getting one down the road, too.
This is the answer for an ATV.

Some guys like Honda.

If speaking hard use and a UTV I'd get a Honda. We have a 900 Ranger and it's been fine but I don't bomb around too hard in that machine.
Mornin, I don't think this is a problem any more but some of the older used models were not true 4x4! They were at best 3 wheel drive. I believe they all have front diff lock now. I haven't driven a new power steering model but at my age now I'd be looking at that, & the fuel injection!!!! Seat position can be pretty important also.. smaller size is also quite handy. Bill out. šŸ‘£šŸ¾šŸ‡ØšŸ‡¦
Honda Atvs arent what they used to be, they have quite a few problems with them. Ive owned pretty much all of them, honda Rincon was the biggest piece of [bleep] out of them all. my last was a polaris 570, good machine with a great ride and plenty of grunt, that said, fit and finish is sub par compared to yamahas or can ams. If i wanted bullet proof, I would look at a 700 grizzly or if you want to tow more, the 700 kodiak My mom and step dad has one of each. That damn kodiak is a nimble little machine, that turns on a dime and has lots of power, but it lacks the independent suspension of the grizz. They are IMO the top of refinement in the atv world, great hard working machines that are built right
Posted By: aalf Re: Hey.! Tell me about 4X4 Quads - 07/05/20

Last year I sold my 1988 Honda Foreman I had bought brand new:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

And replaced it with a new Foreman:

I bought a Polaris 500 Sportsman in 2000 and it was a work horse. I used it for hunting/retrieving moose, skidding firewood, pushing snow in NW Ontario. Started great even at -30. I sold it about two weeks ago for $3,700, in great shape. Regular maintenance was all it got. Great machine!
Posted By: KFWA Re: Hey.! Tell me about 4X4 Quads - 07/05/20
yamaha/honda IMO

I do know the bigger Hondas have a reputation for blowing out the transmission and its costly to replace. I see a handful of the rincon on craigslist that are going cheap because they have a transmission issue.How serious a concern that is I don't know. I like the Rancher/Foreman line of Hondas.

Not to sidetrack a thread, but decades ago I sort of kept up with dirt bikes. The "big 4" Japanese bikes seemed to dominate that market back then, but I find it interesting that in ATV threads on here, Honda and Yamaha always come up, but not Suzuki or Kawasaki. I thought maybe they don't make one, but I just checked, and they do. Interesting.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Hey.! Tell me about 4X4 Quads - 07/05/20
[quote=aalf]

I am,rebuilding 2 of those right now
Originally Posted by elkaddict
This is the answer for an ATV.

Some guys like Honda.

Sam wouldn't comment otherwise laugh
I have 2 Yamahas, 2 Hondas, and a Polaris. If I were buying one today it would probably be a Yamaha or Honda. I would not buy one without EFI or power steering.
What features do you want? What purpose?

I have a Rancher and a Yamaha Kodiak.
I shopped for quite awhile looking for efi, all wheel disc breaks, an engine break and a couple other features I donā€™t remember before settling in the Kodiak in 2016.
The Kawasaki nor Suzuki had comparable features, and wife did not like feel of Polaris.
The Yamaha Grizzly checked the boxes but they discontinued the 550 and I didnā€™t need 700.
I plow every year with the Rancher and it starts at minus I shouldnā€™t be outside.
The Kodiak has electric steering which my wife loves and I kinda wish Rancher had during trail rides. I have pulled and hauled elk with the Honda. We use the Kodiak for trail riding.
My Honda dealer is a 4 minute ride and has been good to work with. I bought a receiver hitch for the Rancher and they installed it for free, which was a pleasant experience. Would have been easy to do my self but saved me a garage floor sweeping.
I walk past the Talon each time I go to the Honda shop and have expensive thoughts.
If you can avoid the bigger is better and my bike is better than your bike games, focus on features and get what you want, you can be pretty happy without buying into the hype.
Originally Posted by KFWA
[quote=aalf]

I am,rebuilding 2 of those right now

those are the machines that gave honda their fame in the atv world IMO. Id buy one of those before id let someone give me a honda made after 2000. Ive got a 1986 quadrunner 250 that has never had any maintinence and was completely thrashed by me and my older brother for 15 years, then spent another 10-12 years on the farm as a community flogging post. I started it last year after it had been sitting for years just to see if it would. fresh battery fresh gas and it popped off.
Another vote for Honda. Bought this 2001 Foreman 450 used back in 03 and it's been virtually trouble free for 17 years. Set of tires, new battery and oil changes is about all I've done to it. Next one I get will have independent suspension and power steering..gotta rassle it on rough logging trails.

One thing I learned is if it's going to sit for any length of time I shut off the fuel and run the carb dry. Crappy gas additives out here varnish up a carb if left in too long.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Honda rancher
Pro:reliable and light enough if you get stuck you could easily get out. Foot shift and auto models available, Power steering
Con:not quite as much power as the foreman

Honda Foreman
Pro:reliable and a workhorse of a bike. Foot shift and auto models available, the auto trans models are really smooth shifting and the start and stop is really smooth also, Power steering
Con: not as much power as a grizzly

Yamaha Grizzly
Pro: Reliable, very powerful, power steering smooth ride and comfortable, power steering
Con: runs lean from the factory, jerky start and stop. Not nearly as smooth as the auto Hondas

I currently have the 700 grizzly and would make you a good deal on it if you were closer, sold a very nice honda rubicon to get it, big regret. I do have a 2004 honda foreman rubicon that I keep for the wife and kids to ride and me to hunt on occasionally. I have had the polaris ranger and really liked it but it was a lot of machine to use in the woods off the trails and roads. I am in the process of selling the grizzly to go back to the honda rubicon. Nothing wrong with the grizzly but I prefer the honda, just my 2
I bought a Honda foreman 450 in 2004, The machine has four thousand miles on the speedo. Plug and oil changes plus a couple sets of tires the only maintenance it has required. Plows snow and goes retriving game when needed. I would buy another honda! My brother had a couple polaris machines in the time I've had mine. They didn't hold up well in comparison!
Originally Posted by aalf

I bet it's a pain in the ass to get the rifle outta your front rest, when ya need to take a quick shot....grin

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Originally Posted by BlueDuck
Hard to beat a Honda.

But a Suzuki King Quad may just do that.
We use them a lot hunting. Drive in ,then walk,. build trail, then trailer out the moose or elk. I see all colours. More blue than red, BTW. You need power steering, independent rear suspension, efi, good after market tires are a must, metal racks and at least 500cc There is a lot of quading around here..They guys that cycle through quads, after they end up on Can-Ams, stick with that brand. That tells you something.
Never forget good dealer support.
Had a Polaris '96 Sportsman 500, which was totally reliable. Used it mostly for hunting and plowing snow here in Colorado. Sold it to a guy in Kansas, who is still running it.

Is the track kit worth it or is it unnecessary...say in bogs and snow.?
I have a 2008 Rancher and a 2017 Foreman. Both are pretty bulletproof. They aren't as fast as a lot of others, but I've had mine up to near 40 MPH with a passenger on the back. Honestly that was too fast, but we were trying to outrun a thunderstorm. The fear of getting struck by lightening was greater than crashing.
Posted By: saj Re: Hey.! Tell me about 4X4 Quads - 07/05/20
I have a Honda pioneer 500 and got the tracks for snow last winter. Great machine, itā€™s a tank. Being older I like the sxs
Originally Posted by saj
I have a Honda pioneer 500 and got the tracks for snow last winter. Great machine, itā€™s a tank. Being older I like the sxs

Is there a vastly notable difference.?
yep. have had mine grizzly 10 years and its been great

Some guys like Honda.

Funny you say that. I lost my green Honda once. It was right where it was suppose to be but I walked right past it
No belt drives for me. 2002 Honda 450 Foreman manual foot shift.
Winch on the Foreman
2014 Honda 420 Rancher manual foot shift
Both machines 2wd and 4wd feature. Both have never been in a dealer shop, just general recommended maintenance and non-ethanol gas with SeaFoam additive. One or the other gets used on the farm just about every day.

Some guys like Honda.

i have one of those, p.s., independent suspension, disc brakes, very comfortable to ride. has a low/high, 4x4, also a locker to make it true 4x4 on all tires. will do about 70mph on the flats. rarely use the low range, not needed most of time. it has the ability to scare you in where it will go. also has a good trailer towing capacity.
To the op, I didnā€™t read the entire thread, but in a gentle environment most anything works. You did mention mud and rough terrain. For rough terrain I like one with power steering. I live in Louisiana where people like to tear shiit up ( google Louisiana Mudfest, I live right up the road) Iā€™ve had several bikes and seen them all. For reliability I strongly suggest a Honda or Yamaha. I have no doubt they have been the most reliable brand around here. One with i front locker is also a plus.
One other thing if you tow or haul much on uneven terrain I prefer the straight rear axl of a Honda Foreman. The IRS bikes are definitely more comfortable for riding, but not as stable on uneven terrain with a load.

I have tracks for mine (Suzuki 750 King Quad), most of my ATV use is ice fishing. The tracks are amazing, until you get over drifted cattails/brush, at which point you're fooked like a football bat. With the tracks and a blade you can move a LOT of snow as well.

I hunted Moose in Northern Alberta in '13. The guide had ATV's so we didn't bring ours. While sitting around the fire I mentioned having tracks for mine and they said they'd tried them and in boggy county they'd tear through the top level and bury themselves. I have 0 bog/track experience, but, I mentioned the tracks to 2 other guides in camp and all had the same story, not good in bogs.
Originally Posted by aalf

[b]And replaced it with a new Foreman:

I have hunted all over Wisconsin, several states and Canada and never saw a Doskocil Gun Guard. I thought I made a wrong choice in a hard case until now. shocked cool

I plan on running in deep snow on occasion, and lots of mud, as well as climbing moss covered wet rocks and logs, and crossing some streams...rough going kind of stuff, and towing a small aluminum boat back in.

What would be the base model designation for the Grizzly 700, you know, without the GPS, and other non essentials.

Thanks for all the responses guys.

If youā€™d ever consider having tracks for snow, youā€™ll need horsepower. That would be a 700 minimum to larger.

Donā€™t overlook Can-am machines.

I just texted you some pictures of where tracks will get you... it ain't pretty...
Originally Posted by roundoak
I have hunted all over Wisconsin, several states and Canada and never saw a Doskocil Gun Guard. I thought I made a wrong choice in a hard case until now. shocked cool

They used to be my favorite case, sadly discontinued. Luckily I still have one of each size around here.
I like my Polaris 6x6 with enclosed cab. Combined with a good trailer (pack rat) it has hauled multiple moose great distances a number of times.
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
I like my Polaris 6x6 with enclosed cab. Combined with a good trailer (pack rat) it has hauled multiple moose great distances a number of times.

A good friend in Colorado has one and has tracks for the rear set of tires. Unbelievable where that machine will go and the loads that itā€™ll haul under snow conditions.

Heā€™s also anal retentive on maintenance for it.
I use one every day for farm work. I ended up going with a Honda Foreman last time. I don't need a ton of power, prefer the solid rear axle, and needed the locking front differential. I can live with CVT but prefer gears....one thing I would have changed would be getting a foot shift instead of the thumb shift but it's not a major deal.

Some guys like Honda.

^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I prefer my Yamaha but my second choice would be Honda.

Most of my motorized off roading has been done in either a CJ or Pickup.

I'm looking to get into a good 4 Wheel Drive Quad.

If going "New" what machine should I be looking at.?
If going used, what should I be looking for, and what would be a reasonable price to pay.?

If you are going to use it in Alaska, you should post this in the Alaska forum.

How something lasts on weekends 40 miles from the dealer may not be as important to you.

Alaska advice and experience may be more helpful to you.

YMMV

Sycamore

I just texted you some pictures of where tracks will get you... it ain't pretty...

Thank you, Sir.

Im not far from the AuSable and my phone is struggling grin

Honda has a 4 wheeler with a solid rear axle and they also make one with a independent rear suspension.

Not sure but one of the models has a manual foot shift.

I personally would not want a machine with a foot shift or a solid rear axle.

Give me the Yamaha auto and the uber suspension. Absolutely no contest for how I use a 4-wheeler.

I know guys that have both Yamaha and Honda(old style, foot shift, single rear axle) and they much prefer the Yamaha for actual off-roading.

Haven't heard of anyone blowing a belt yet on the Yamaha and can think of 4-5 guys that have Grizzlies, maybe 20-30k combined miles and no belt issues.

I LOVE the Grizzly for chasing cows in the hills. Can't think of anything I'd change.

Mine is a 2011 model though so can't comment on the new machines, hopefully they haven't cheapened them up.

All I do is change the oil every couple years and run it. It just flat works.

Whatcha haulin in the YETI Sam.? grin

The first generation Rhino may have been bulletproof but it liked to catch itself on fire. Have the dealer run the VIN on anything that you buy to see that all bulletins have been performed.
That day was snacks and some calf meds.
(which is why I had the rope)

Luckily we didn't need any meds...

To be honest I'm not even sure if that cooler has ever seen a beer?!

It's handy, last week I stashed extra (rain)clothes in it. Overpriced container, River Green BTW, not Seafoam.....

We might be away from the pickup for 8-10 hours and I like to have grub and water...

Thank you, Sir.

MI? Or NY?

Thank you, Sir.

MI? Or NY?

NY
What a beautiful drive.
Saw 7 Grizzlies one nite passing through Haines Junction, stopped counting Blackies after sighting 30, Sheep all over in the road and ledges, scores of Bison, Elk, Moose, Red Fox,Whitetail, and several Coyotes in North Dakota.... it was a blast.

Handy. I like your rig, and set up.
One thing I have noticed on the new, fancy ATV's is some versions come with bigger wheels and a shorter sidewall on the tire

I would not want that.

Give me the bigger, more shock absorbing tire.
Originally Posted by HitnRun
Originally Posted by BlueDuck
Hard to beat a Honda.

But a Suzuki King Quad may just do that.

Or maybe not?

Thank you, Sir.

MI? Or NY?

NY
What a beautiful drive.
Saw 7 Grizzlies one nite passing through Haines Junction, stopped counting Blackies after sighting 30, Sheep all over in the road and ledges, scores of Bison, Elk, Moose, Red Fox,Whitetail, and several Coyotes in North Dakota.... it was a blast.

That is about the nicest stretch of the entire road around Kluane Lake.
A rather unpleasant stretch of HWY 2.

One thing I have noticed on the new, fancy ATV's is some versions come with bigger wheels and a shorter sidewall on the tire

I would not want that.

Give me the bigger, more shock absorbing tire.

Excellent point.
Something along the lines of the MSA's M23's on a 12" could might be squishey enough.

Thank you, Sir.

MI? Or NY?

NY
What a beautiful drive.

That is about the nicest stretch of the entire road around Kluane Lake.

Incredible sights.

Gnarly Sam.
Yep. Looks like work! Lol

Always had good luck with hondas.......
It's only been stuck maybe 2-3 times.

Evah.
Originally Posted by bhemry
Not to sidetrack a thread, but decades ago I sort of kept up with dirt bikes. The "big 4" Japanese bikes seemed to dominate that market back then, but I find it interesting that in ATV threads on here, Honda and Yamaha always come up, but not Suzuki or Kawasaki. I thought maybe they don't make one, but I just checked, and they do. Interesting.

I have a 2008 kawasaki 650 brute force. 3300 miles on it with only the usual maintanance.
I have a 2015 Suzuki 400. The 400 does not have power steering. My next one will be the 500 with power steering. Mine has been flawless for what I do. it carries a 15 gallon spray tank for weeds on 46 acres and the road around it.

kwg

They quit making the Rhino in 2012.

Mine is a 2008 the Grizzly was a 2007. Yamaha quit making the Rhino. Golly gee, I didn't know that....plenty of used ones.

This. Yamaha and Honda rule the Alaska bush.
Holy crap OP, welcome to 1987!!

J/K .... Get a Honda Rancher or Foreman.

Next question.
I think it's hard to make a bad decision. All of the manufacturers are turning out quality products these days.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I think it's hard to make a bad decision. All of the manufacturers are turning out quality products these days.

+1
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Heck, even the cheap Chinese machines are pretty stout.... ie taotao, Apollo........
We can only talk about our experiences where we ride and what we do with it.

Power steering is nice on gravel roads and trails, by the end of the day your shoulders aren't sore. But just a short ride through logging slash, banging your front wheels this way and that makes it an absolute must. My '08 An-Am predates power steering, and boy do I regret it.

I'm following Shane, he's ridden quads since they were called trikes. We are riding through trees rather quickly I thought, and between two tree the root flare bounces his solid axel Honda up on two wheels. Side flips you can bail on, back flips can kill you. I go through that same gap with my IRS Can_Am with no drama at all. That is the difference that an IRS can make.

Even with our powerful quads, we've had to rope two together to get enough pull to get elk out. More than once I might add.
Try them all. But make sure to get,
EFI
EPS
Independent suspension (Your arse will thanks you)
Auto trans
When shopping for an ATV look no further than these two:

1. HONDA
2. Yamaha
If there are Ski-Do dealers near by, I would add Can-Am to the list. Some Poohs are OK, and they are cheap.
I just saw the honda rubicon recon. Pretty nice. I might get one.
© 24hourcampfire