Home
Posted By: wabigoon We Need a Good Rain. - 07/06/20
As soon as the hay is up. laugh

A good soaker would be great. It's been a while since we had a good rain.

How about you good folks?
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: We Need a Good Rain. - 07/06/20
We’ve been getting all of yours and more, Wabi.

Still are.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: We Need a Good Rain. - 07/06/20
Got enough as it is. Been raining for several days now.

Rained out the fireworks yesterday.

Strange it’s this wet in July.

#globalwarming
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

#globalwarming

Today’s Sunday paper said Louisiana will be a total flood zone in 30 years.
Evidently it won’t affect Mississippi or Texas so you Boys can relax.
Posted By: fester Re: We Need a Good Rain. - 07/06/20
Rain would be nice...... weather here has been good..... not to hot.
Great weekend here.
Hope you had a good one Wabi.
Posted By: hanco Re: We Need a Good Rain. - 07/06/20
We could use a little, getting dry.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: We Need a Good Rain. - 07/06/20
An interesting thing about this place all the reports from all over North America.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: We Need a Good Rain. - 07/06/20
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

#globalwarming

Today’s Sunday paper said Louisiana will be a total flood zone in 30 years.
Evidently it won’t affect Mississippi or Texas so you Boys can relax.

#nutria
Posted By: stevelyn Re: We Need a Good Rain. - 07/06/20
Originally Posted by wabigoon

You are welcome to all the rain and fog of ours that you want. I'm so sick of this schitt.
Posted By: LJBass Re: We Need a Good Rain. - 07/06/20
I've had 3 tenths since may 28th. Pretty sure most of my planting on June 1st is dead.

In may we were 10 inches over the baseline for the year. Its getting dry fast though. Areas around me have been hit. They got 3 inches at the state park just 3 or so miles away a few nights ago.

Just ain't living right i guess.
Posted By: Torqued Re: We Need a Good Rain. - 07/06/20
It's dry as a popcorn fart here. 3/4" cracks in the ground now. Strip pits are down over a foot. Need a nice soaked in a bad way.
Posted By: cowdoc Re: We Need a Good Rain. - 07/06/20
Richard,it's been pretty good down here so far-crops look good, good yield first hay cutting. Still green, but as usual we'll need more this month!
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: We Need a Good Rain. - 07/06/20
We’ve had a pretty cool and wet spring early summer. It reminds me of the weather here when I was a child. We didn’t plan any big outdoor events or activities until after dad’s birthday on July 14. The last decade or two we’ve had much warmer and dryer spring/early summers than I can recall. I like the mixture of nice weather and warm temps mixed in with a few days of cooler wetter weather. It’s sunny and beautiful today in the low to mid 70’s. Right now it’s clear blue sky and sunshine with my thermostat saying it’s 64* outside. I was mowing and weed eating on and off today and appreciate the cooler weather for doing yard work. 😁
My grandfather used to say, the corn needs a rain at pollinating time, we are close to that.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: We Need a Good Rain. - 07/06/20
Like LJBass said, the faucet was turned off on June 1st. Before that we were too wet. Now we are dry. Last week got us some pop up showers, but didn’t last long enough to do much more than settle the dust.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: We Need a Good Rain. - 07/06/20
Didn't know Missouri ever got dry.
Posted By: MIKEWERNER Re: We Need a Good Rain. - 07/06/20
Knee high by the 4th of July is far exceeded here.

Quit belly-aching, lest you get real problems.

My grandfather used to say, the corn needs a rain at pollinating time, we are close to that.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: We Need a Good Rain. - 07/06/20
We're getting rain daily. Prettiest garden we've had in years and the corn and beans on my road are flourishing.
Milk is actually profitable (for now) and poultry is doing real well.

Hope you get the needed rain soon Wabi.
Posted By: Heeler Re: We Need a Good Rain. - 07/06/20
We’ve had decent rains along the I-70 & Hwy 50 corridor from KC to Columbia. These last couple weeks of hot weather sure did help the corn to take off. Farmer that neighbors my place- his corn was growing ears already. But, they usually are the first to plant.
Originally Posted by jackmountain
We're getting rain daily. Prettiest garden we've had in years and the corn and beans on my road are flourishing.

No kidding?

Whats the milk pay out right now?
Posted By: jackmountain Re: We Need a Good Rain. - 07/06/20
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

No kidding?

Class I, close $17.00 a hundred weight.

Great use of the quote function.....

No kidding?

No kidding?

No kidding?

Thats a good price? Good deal.

My buddy was dairying in Vale Oregon when he died. Those numbers sorta sound familiar.

They only pay on milk fat in New Zealand....I think.
Posted By: PeeDeeRiver Re: We Need a Good Rain. - 07/06/20
I'd be happy to share a bit of what we're getting here. Its been hard to get a stick of pipe in the ground without putting in a wellpoint.
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: We Need a Good Rain. - 07/06/20
About an hour ago we got a shower that did not even get the rain gauge wet inside the tube.

It did cool it down and the smell is great.

Just wished it was 2 or 3 inches.
Posted By: EdM Re: We Need a Good Rain. - 07/06/20
Plenty up here until a few days ago. Looks like were will be dry for at least a week. I noticed one farmer was out cutting yesterday.

Its all relative. Our average is 43inches i think. Our clay based soils I have seen winters like last where i have stepped T-posts in to the spade. Right now it is baked hard. Have trouble getting step in posts to go in far enough hold the electric wire up... I'll be damned if i start carrying a drill. This is the biggest reason I changed grazing management, try to build by organic matter to coast through the dry spells better.

Corn is tasseling here Richard.
Ha!

Its not so bad.........having to drill.
Sheeeit, i've heard of people using a drill to move step ins in the winter. I think I heard something about it in a sermon though, Pretty sure it's against my religion.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: We Need a Good Rain. - 07/06/20
Originally Posted by LJBass
I've had 3 tenths since may 28th. Pretty sure most of my planting on June 1st is dead.

In may we were 10 inches over the baseline for the year. Its getting dry fast though. Areas around me have been hit. They got 3 inches at the state park just 3 or so miles away a few nights ago.

Just ain't living right i guess.

That's just about 3 times what we've had here in the past 30 days. We're up to a whole 6.9" of moisture for the calendar year so far, and 8.7" for the water year (Oct-Oct). We could be way low by the time fall comes.

Nothing in the forecast for the next week, not even a chance of T-storms where we usually get some summer water.

Humidity was down to 12% at 5:55 tonight, fire weather watch in effect tomorrow, could gust over 30MPH.

Nothing new in the high desert I guess. At least it's only been around 85F for a high.
Posted By: Redneck Re: We Need a Good Rain. - 07/06/20

NO... We just got done cleaning up after nearly 10" of the stuff that wiped out about a dozen bridges/overpasses on the Rush River..

Weirdest thing is that, over the last 6-7 days, there's been nearly NO wind whatsoever... And I mean NO wind.. Just hot, humid and calm.. I don't recall a similar stretch of literally no wind at all...
Posted By: kkahmann Re: We Need a Good Rain. - 07/06/20
Been dead calm on Lake Nipigon for 3 weeks now. Had plenty of rain early so bush is green but getting dry enough for a few spot fires popping up—they ain’t really going anywhere.
Over the last 40 years I’ve often thought it would be nice to have air conditioning on 2 days out of an average Summer. This last week it would have been nice but it still cools off enough at night to sleep.
Got a good bumper crop of biting flies. Black flies, Deer flies, Mosquitos and NoSeeums. I almost feel sorry for the flies—they got no tourists to chew on this year.
So, no yanks for the bugs, eh? laugh
Posted By: JamesJr Re: We Need a Good Rain. - 07/06/20
Come get some of ours. It's wet here, and about to get wetter. I did manage to till the late garden late Saturday evening, and to plant a couple of rows of late green beans. We got over a half inch here yesterday, and it's about to rain again this morning. It rained so much last week in some places, that some farmers lost their tobacco crops. Tobacco doesn't like "wet feet". and is very prone to what is know as scalding.

Bring your water wagon Richard, and get some of our rain.
Across the river on the delta side the corn is about 6’ tall, eared well and the beans are about 3’ tall.

With all things as is, it’ll be a good year for yields.

Prices will be another matter.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: We Need a Good Rain. - 07/06/20

Dry as a popcorn fart here. Lawn looks like they dropped napalm on it but we are getting a good soaking here today and more this week
Posted By: Cheesy Re: We Need a Good Rain. - 07/06/20

Its all relative. Our average is 43inches i think.

In high school and college I worked for a pretty big farmer where I grew up in Southeast Kansas.

Heard him more than once say "we get 40" of rain a year here, 20 at planting time, and 20 at harvest time"

Heard grandma say he was known for saying "I'd just like to get through a year without being wiped out by a flood or a divorce". I think he is on wife number 4 or 5 now. Married to my buddy's mom, they've been together since the early 80's.
June was pretty dry but we've had two good ones in July.
Posted By: Borchardt Re: We Need a Good Rain. - 07/06/20
For a small fee plus travel expenses I will show up in your AO with a tent and camping supplies. Guaranteed to rain until I leave.
Originally Posted by Cheesy

Its all relative. Our average is 43inches i think.

In high school and college I worked for a pretty big farmer where I grew up in Southeast Kansas.

Heard him more than once say "we get 40" of rain a year here, 20 at planting time, and 20 at harvest time"

Heard grandma say he was known for saying "I'd just like to get through a year without being wiped out by a flood or a divorce". I think he is on wife number 4 or 5 now. Married to my buddy's mom, they've been together since the early 80's.

Thats a good one.
Cutting going on here......

Originally Posted by EdM
Plenty up here until a few days ago. Looks like were will be dry for at least a week. I noticed one farmer was out cutting yesterday.

Posted By: Orion2000 Re: We Need a Good Rain. - 07/06/20
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Come get some of ours. It's wet here, and about to get wetter. I did manage to till the late garden late Saturday evening, and to plant a couple of rows of late green beans. We got over a half inch here yesterday, and it's about to rain again this morning. It rained so much last week in some places, that some farmers lost their tobacco crops. Tobacco doesn't like "wet feet". and is very prone to what is know as scalding.

Bring your water wagon Richard, and get some of our rain.

Up our way it was wet, wet, wet up until end of May. Got the garden spot rototilled 02 June. Only two rains since then. Having to water the garden about every other day. Was planning to do same tonight, but, got an unexpected pop up shower. About 1/3" of rain so far. Hopefully the slow steady part continues for a while...
Posted By: KFWA Re: We Need a Good Rain. - 07/07/20
we needed a rain, we got a squall yesterday evening about 7pm.

I'm going to deal with this later on today

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

the limb farthest away was across the road so I got out in the rain and started clearing it. The neighbor and his son saw me, came out and help me clear it.
© 24hourcampfire