Home
Something to think about the next time you come home, or hear a bump in the night.

Good training.

I considered their lifetime membership at one point .
Never had the privilege of training with them though.
Looking back, it's very useful information. Most of us are going to come home one day and wonder why our door is wide open. Questions that should be asked if you arrive home to an open door:

Did I get in a hurry running late for work this morning and forget to pull the door all the way until it latched?

Are there any vehicles near the property, or behind the house?

Any lights on through the windows?

Can I see through the windows without entering?

If someone broke in, should I clear by myself or call family or friends and wait?

Should I call the police?

Should I call a family member and ask them to listen while I clear? Instructing him to call police and ambulance if he hears shots or if I alert.

A few scenarios have occurred over the years....
I’m not military or law-enforcement, but I practiced here in my house one time when I knew there was no one there. If I thought somebody was in my house, and I did not have any family members in there, I would back out and call the police.
I'm more interested in how to defend against someone trying to clear me out of my house!
Took that training there myself, well worth the while. Also did live actor versions with simunitions. Some of the best training money I have spent.
It's a good video and worth the 20 minutes to watch it. Maybe I missed it, but why didn't Larry do a tactical reload somewhere along the way? I would have put a full mag in half way through the course.
I attended Gunsite in April of 1981. Learned a lot. Went through that building practicing "room clearing," etc. This was just after Chuck Taylor left and Clint Smith was hired by Cooper to take his place.

I am the extremely handsome young man on Cooper's right. grin The gentleman on Cooper's left was a friend from Oregon. For what it's worth, Cooper was wearing his Colt Govt. Model in a Yaqui Slide by Milt Sparks. Had it on every day of the course.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Good training. Met some interesting people there going through the classes.

L.W.
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
It's a good video and worth the 20 minutes to watch it. Maybe I missed it, but why didn't Larry do a tactical reload somewhere along the way? I would have put a full mag in half way through the course.

Tactical reload at 18:20
Originally Posted by keith_dunlap
I’m not military or law-enforcement, but I practiced here in my house one time when I knew there was no one there. If I thought somebody was in my house, and I did not have any family members in there, I would back out and call the police.

yep. Like all training and skills you have to constantly train to develop these skills. The vast majority don't have time, money, facilities to do this.
Thanks NV. I missed that.
cleared the house a few times for training and a few times for real when arriving home to an open door. got trained in doing such by uncle sam so aware of the danger going solo, but calling cops for every hinky arrival is not going to fly.
Sit in the vehicle with your weapon in hand and blow the horn. Crackheads run like roaches dropping your chit when they see you presenting your weapon. Call the po po, they track them through the corn field back to the trailer. They dindo nuffin. Call insurance lady and they replace the busted tv.
That's how it works here anyway.
There's a distinct difference between home defense and offense.
Trying to clear a home in your boxers at zero dark thirty because you "might" have heard "something" is a quick way to get killed by multiple perps who are wide awake, amped on adrenaline and pretty dang sure what they are going to do if confronted.
"Distance is your friend" there's a takeaway from that video tks.

If I came home to an open door and had the luxury of time, I'd back off some considerable distance where I could still see the door and wait. Especially if I lived in a house with no immediate neighbors.

I'd be really interested in Mr. Wilkinson's (??) diet and exercise regime, he looks to be im much better shape than most guys his age.

I think ya gotta be really trusting to follow a student shooting live ammo in different directions like that.

Finally, the "fun house" concept I believe was pioneered in the 1930's by William Ewart Fairbairn while in the Shanghai Municipal Police.

Here's his book on pdf, get it while you still can, it always surprises me that its still up for free.

http://patriotresistance.homestead.com/FMFRP12-81-ShootingToLive-January1990.pdf

Skip to page 38 for the interesting "Advanced Training" methods smile
Originally Posted by ringworm
Trying to clear a home in your boxers at zero dark thirty because you "might" have heard "something" is a quick way to get killed by multiple perps who are wide awake, amped on adrenaline and pretty dang sure what they are going to do if confronted.

I sure wish I had a crystal ball issued to me.

That way I would know there were multiple people. They were amped up on adrenaline, (apparently such things only work for one side), their alertness level, and the degree of commitment they have to whatever they are doing when confronted by an armed homeowner.

Also since these things only happen at zero dark thirty, and when I am wearing boxers, nobody should be proactive, and get training that might effect a positive outcome. Instead they should just hide out while their kids scream for help, or other such wonderful pleasantries.

God forbid people actually get some training.

Waiting on the police to protect you is a much smarter idea..

Don't worry, those peaceful protesters have assured the city leaders that they mean the occupants of these buildings and vehicles no harm..

GMAFB crazy

Here is a reality check.

You don't get the fight you want. You get the fight you get.

I have said it here before. Fights can be like a gift from a stranger. You have no idea what you are going to get. You simply have to unwrap it and deal with it.

The odds might be stacked against you, but you don't have a choice. They might not, though rarely are situations that you find yourself suddenly in, stacked in your favor. You simply have to unwrap it and deal with it.

This is why training (such as in the video) is important.

The more skill sets you have, the more options you have.

Knowing how to be methodical in your search methods when time allows, and fast and violent when it does not, are all good skill sets to have and they take practice.
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
I'd be really interested in Mr. Wilkinson's (??) diet and exercise regime, he looks to be im much better shape than most guys his age.

He rides a bike.......... grin
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

I sure wish I had a crystal ball issued to me.

That way I would know there were multiple people. They were amped up on adrenaline, (apparently such things only work for one side), their alertness level, and the degree of commitment they have to whatever they are doing when confronted by an armed homeowner.

Also since these things only happen at zero dark thirty, and when I am wearing boxers, nobody should be proactive, and get training that might effect a positive outcome. Instead they should just hide out while their kids scream for help, or other such wonderful pleasantries.

God forbid people actually get some training.

Waiting on the police to protect you is a much smarter idea..

Don't worry, those peaceful protesters have assured the city leaders that they mean the occupants of these buildings and vehicles no harm..

GMAFB crazy

Here is a reality check.

You don't get the fight you want. You get the fight you get.

I have said it here before. Fights can be like a gift from a stranger. You have no idea what you are going to get. You simply have to unwrap it and deal with it.

The odds might be stacked against you, but you don't have a choice. They might not, though rarely are situations that you find yourself suddenly in, stacked in your favor. You simply have to unwrap it and deal with it.

This is why training (such as in the video) is important.

The more skill sets you have, the more options you have.

Knowing how to be methodical in your search methods when time allows, and fast and violent when it does not, are all good skill sets to have and they take practice.

Well. And then there is my pal Mac with all sorts of real world talk

Personally ..I'm not taking the time to put on pants...I'm bucking my gun belt and tallying ho...so to speak with my tally whacker flapping in the fan breeze.....surprise Mutha F$&#er.... Mac is right. You get the fight you get...and you'd be damned surprised just how alert you can wake up when hear noises when you shouldn't hear them.
There's nothing downstairs worth getting in a gunfight over, and everything upstairs is worth getting into a gunfight over.

My plan is to call for backup and keep any noises or perps downstairs until backup comes.

If it takes overly long, or I think help isn't coming and the noises aren't leaving with out a fight, I may go downstairs, but only if there other way to get the family to safety.

Getting into a gunfight over items that are covered by my homeowner's insurance seems to be foolish.

Now, if my people are held hostage, or in real threat of violence, things change. That's worth getting into a gunfight over.
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

He rides a bike.......... grin

grin

If only it were that easy, cycling far enough will give ya nice legs, and might reduce your gut, but it will do Jack for upper body strength, flexibility and won’t even do much for walking and running.
Good thought provoking stuff right there thanks for posting it up I’d love to get to Gun Site someday for a training session or three!
As MS says "you don't get the fight you want'. If you don't train and practice you won't function well under adverse conditions. LAV is the real deal as demonstrated by his quick discrimination of the no shoot targets and his methodical accuracy.

A good practice technique at home is to have someone in the room to be cleared w/ a flashlight that lights you up as soon as they see your weapon or part of your body. Slow deliberate clearing is good when you have that option. You had better have other plans if you hear a kid screaming or have an intruder and children in several bedrooms. A light is essential for target ID and may effect how you open doors. An airsoft replica of you gun is affordable and a great training aid.

Practice, practice, practice.

mike r
Some of you all stars should be teaching they rest of us poor untrained souls how it's done.....
I should have paid more attention in MOUT.
bunches o Killa z here in internet lands.
Some of you all stars should be teaching they rest of us poor untrained souls how it's done.....
I should have paid more attention in MOUT.
bunches o Killa z here in internet lands.

There is more good training available from gifted instructors who have a vast depth of experience than ever before. MOUT is a good prep that has little application in a civilian, single person engagement. That you fail to recognize that is not surprising. If you think you are good enough you are wrong.

mike r
This.

Consequence management, stray rounds, legal liabilities, untrained persons moving in the field of fire, make a gunfight in my home mostly versions of lose-lose where I can mitigate some of the damage but not all.

Urban combat is different than home defense or repelling home invaders. If only because “urban combat” involves some expectation of collateral damage that’s not acceptable in my home or neighborhood.

Originally Posted by lvmiker
MOUT is a good prep that has little application in a civilian, single person engagement.
A couple weeks ago there was a older lady that had her house broke into early in the morning. Guy had sit out on her porch and chiseled away at the door frame all night until he got the bolt to slide free and opened the door nice and quite. She heard him moving around the house. Woke up and grabbed her pistol (Widow in a rural area) Proceeded to check the house. As soon as she found the guy and raised the gun, He yelled "Search Warrant" and blinded her with a flashlight. Confused her enough that he got away, ran 1/4 mile down the road to where his truck was parked and drove off.

At my house, I'm more worried that someone I know will come in, and I'll be so amped up that something horrible would happen. Although, I don't get the late night visitors like back when we were all single and drunk.
© 24hourcampfire