Home
Posted By: jnyork Old story, new post - 07/07/20
I posted this a few years ago, just ran across it in Documents so thought I would post it again:

Lander, Wyoming in 1948-49 was a small, remote ranch town of about 2500 people where the Great Depression was just starting to end. As a nine year old boy, I would spend my 15 cents at the Saturday matinee and then go hang out at my favorite place, Spaldsbury's Saddlery and Sporting Goods. What a wonderful place it was: odors of new and old leather, new and old horse blankets, pipe smoke, original Hoppes and gun oil, , occasionally a faint whiff of whiskey. Glass cabinets full of old Colts and Smith&Wessons. Racks full of Winchesters, Remingtons, Marlins, etc. More racks full of surplus Krags, Springfield bolt guns and trapdoors. Fishing gear too. Spitoons and sawdust on the floor.
One day a brand new Winchester 67 Youth appeared, price only $13.00 IIRC. I had some Christmas and birthday money squirreled away and conned Dad into spliting the cost. I didnt have to sign for it but Dad had to come down and carry it out for me.
I spent the next 3 years or so potting tin cans, stray crows and riding along behind Dad on old Poppin' Johnny, terrorizing prairie dogs. I learned to shoot with that gun.
At age 12 or 13 I got the hots for a new Remington model 512 at Spaldsburys, so I traded in the 67 on it This was in about 1952. Never looked back until much later in life.
In 1982, my Air Force career at an end, I moved back to Lander to start a new life. Every once in a while I would go to a gun show and see a Model 67 Youth and get a lump in my throat, longing for the days of my childhood and kicking my self for ever trading off my very first gun.
About 3 years ago my wife and I stopped at a yard sale put on by an older fellow here in town. He had some guns on a table and there it was, a Winchester 67 youth in very good condition. Got to chatting him up about it and asked him the history of the gun. He said he got it for his little son but the kid never took an interest in it, so it had been in the back of the closet for the last 50 years. I asked him where he got it, he said he bought it used at Spaldsburys in about 1952!! I gave him his $100.00 and ran for my truck , shaking like a leaf!
I cleaned it up and took it to the range to shoot a few cans, which I did, but it was difficult, I kept getting some smoke in my eyes.
My very first gun is back with me, and holds a place of honor in my safe. Life is good.
Posted By: rflshtr Re: Old story, new post - 07/07/20
Great story. Glad you got it back. One of the lucky ones that found the way home after more than fifty years.
Posted By: jmp300wsm Re: Old story, new post - 07/07/20
VERY lucky!! Congrats
Posted By: sandcritter Re: Old story, new post - 07/07/20
Great story, again. Thanks for that. Hoping you enjoy shooting the rifle for years to come.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Old story, new post - 07/07/20
Mines a 68, got it in '78. Funny thing is Dad paid $13 for it, just like the OP. We were at an auction.
First gun. Shot a lot of cans and critters with it.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Cretch Re: Old story, new post - 07/07/20
Great Story. I have a Winchester 67A that was my dads. Great little guns.
Posted By: JTrapper73 Re: Old story, new post - 07/07/20
Congratulations on finding your rifle. I loved the story!
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Old story, new post - 07/07/20
Good for ya!
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Old story, new post - 07/07/20
Sweet!
Posted By: saddlering Re: Old story, new post - 07/07/20
Great Story! glad it found its way Home! 1st one I bought on my own was a used Rem. Nylon 66, still have it! I killed a pickup load of stuff with it!
Posted By: 22250rem Re: Old story, new post - 07/07/20
Great story and well worthy of a re-post. What year was that originally posted ? I think I recall it, as it's a memorable tale. Also because I own a Model 67 that my dad got back in the latter 1930's. Except this one's been in the family ever since, although there was some times when it just stood in the corner of a closet for a few years.
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: Old story, new post - 07/08/20
Love that story! The very first gun I ever shot...real gun...was my grandfather’s 67. The story my old dad told me was my first shot hit a tin can to my granddads disbelief. About the time he went to a nursing home, I got that rifle and a 12 gauge single shot. It’s still in my safe, and still as accurate as ever.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Old story, new post - 07/08/20
Neat story!
I got a 67-A for Christmas in ‘60 IIRC and still have it. I refinished the stock many years ago and probably need to do it again and have it ready for the grandson 😊
© 24hourcampfire