Home
I find these little things fascinating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_rXK0_S4lw
guy in my unit has one as his daily driver. Diesel
A friend fell in love with them in the early 90's

I hadn't seen one in probably a decade until just recently drove past one.

Have recently been watching a guy's youtube channel, he's wheeling a TDI swapped TJ. Sounds like an interesting swap. Wheel for days on just a few gallons of diesel.
Looks like a Rabbit! I remember when those came out.
So that’s how AIDS got started..?🤣

Now they just drive Ridgelines. Haha

Must be an acquired taste.. My 80's started with a Bronco.

g
It’s missing the winch and 1/2 mile of cable.
Originally Posted by slumlord

Don't forget subaru baja...
One of my h.s. running buddies had one. Got amazing mileage. I know a couple guys that have mini rod pulling tractors that are running those old tdi engines and making crazy horse power with them.
I did not have the truck but learned to drive in a '72 beetle with 4 on the floor.
I’d forgotten about those. Before I left for the Navy, I worked at a VW/Porsche dealer and one of the utility vehicles at the shop was the pickup version of the VW bus. It was cool. The sides could be lowered like the tailgate, making a flatbed of it.
I knew a guy in NJ that owned one (diesel) and did a lot of driving every year because of his job. Never had an issue.

Lol, You always see Manbun yuppie faags driving them damn Ridgerunners around.
My Dad had one. He loved it. They were front wheel drive. He refinished antique furniture and hauled a lot of it in that little truck.
I had a '79 Rabbit. That was a great car too. I tried like hell but couldn't kill it.
Originally Posted by River_Ridge
My Dad had one. He loved it. They were front wheel drive. He refinished antique furniture and hauled a lot of it in that little truck.
I had a '79 Rabbit. That was a great car too. I tried like hell but couldn't kill it.

A plumber bought my Rabbit Diesel. He put over 400k on it .

Originally Posted by cra1948
I’d forgotten about those. Before I left for the Navy, I worked at a VW/Porsche dealer and one of the utility vehicles at the shop was the pickup version of the VW bus. It was cool. The sides could be lowered like the tailgate, making a flatbed of it.

A girl that hung around in the same group I did back in the late '60s drove a club cab version of one of those. As I recall her's was a 4 door. Rode in it several times.
I hd a diesel, 48 MPG., no powerboat reliable, would like to have it now.
Front wheel Drive isn't so good when you put a load in the bed.
VW Syncro!
Had one when I was working for a paper company put 330,000 miles on it never left me stranded. Two sets of brakes and a heater motor was all I had to do to it as high as 53 mpg. Passing someone on a busy two lane road was a religious experience.
Knew a guy that had one and loved it. Had a wreck going 20 mph (in a subdivision) and damn near totalled it. Said he got 55 mpg. Always curious about them.
Originally Posted by jackmountain

I thought it was a Brat?
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Originally Posted by jackmountain

I thought it was a Brat?

My wife had a BRAT when we got married. A friend had one of those VWs, his son was driving it last time I saw it. He may have gotten it back from his son.
A guy in my hometown had a bodyshop, he bought a VW Rabbit truck and chopped the top 4 ", shaved the door handles and emblems, lowered, custom grille with the headlights behind it...It was a show/shop truck, called it the Wild Hare.
I worked at my uncle's used furniture shop in SF and we used a VW Rabbit pickup (diesel, of course). The idea was that for smaller deliveries, the normal truck (an F250 with the 460) was overkill and it was a pain to park on the streets, especially on the crowded hills of residential areas. In the end, the VW was sidelined because it just couldn't handle the loads and hills, but we used it to run errands and as a second truck to bring parts and people to a delivery. Damn thing refused to die and got unbelievable mileage.
my audi/vw/volvo mechanic had one. always hauling parts and motors around in it.
Similar topic guys on this thread might know something about.

Saw a little single axle camper the other day. Older but dang sharp. Looked like the VW minibus in stype and shape.

Did VW make a little camper like this?
Originally Posted by Raeford
Front wheel Drive isn't so good when you put a load in the bed.

How heavy is a mattress and two skinny dudes? laugh
not an 80's but did have a 63 pickup.
Yes, they were Subaru Brats. My son had a rare diesel automatic. You couldn't pass another car unless you could see clear road for a mile ahead. Very dependable and slow.
I have been driving Nissan Frontiers for 30 years. I have always wondered why they didn't make this vehicle in a diesel. Put a 3 liter turbo diesel in there and you would get great mileage and have plenty of power for me.
I understand that Nissan does put the diesel in small pickups in other countries.
Subaru did make a Baja, but not until 2002
Neighbor kid had a little Isuzu pickup with a diesel engine. It would barely pull it's self, but would go better than 50 miles on a gallon of fuel.

It was a dandy little truck as long as you weren't in a hurry.
© 24hourcampfire