Home
Posted By: DigitalDan Christmas of '76 - 07/10/20
Was living in Coconut Grove during the early months in my new job in ATC and as December rolled around I went shopping. Found something I thought my parents would like and purchased it for about $5.00.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

They got a few chuckles out of it, and it remained on display for the rest of their time on this earth. I thought it to be in remarkably good condition, all things considered.

And I guess I'm racist.

DD

PS: I'd do it all over again.
Posted By: krp Re: Christmas of '76 - 07/10/20
Probably Snoop dog rap... the original version... get's them bitches tweerk'n and all...

Kent
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Christmas of '76 - 07/10/20
I miss not being able to buy my Mom and Dad presents anymore.
Posted By: trplem Re: Christmas of '76 - 07/11/20
The Steve Austin six million dollar man action figure my aunt and uncle gave me back then was pretty cool too. I don't have that any more, tho.
Posted By: RayF Re: Christmas of '76 - 07/11/20
My parents scraped up enough cash to buy my older brother and me a Coleco Telstar that Christmas. Had to turn the TV dial to UHF and flip the switch on the inline converter that came with the game. When it was left on, my dad would use the remote to switch it back when he wanted to watch Cronkite. I was the remote.

“......and that’s the way it is.”

-WC
Posted By: bartman Re: Christmas of '76 - 07/11/20
Christmas 1976

The year of the Bicentennial. Found my first long package under the Christmas tree that year, .410 single shot. Went out with dad to shoot it Christmas morning. Used to drool over the Remington catalogs that kids would bring to school. Fond memories of hunting rabbits with my brother and father. They are gone now but I still have that .410
Posted By: HitnRun Re: Christmas of '76 - 07/11/20
Things were tough then.. I remember how grateful us kids were that dad was able to get a box of Corn Flakes for the whole family. We each got a bowl of cereal for breakfast and split 2 baked potatoes. We all hoped that next year we could afford milk for the cereal.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Christmas of '76 - 07/11/20
In 1976, the year I was due to graduate high school, I quit with 3 months to go. Worked a local job until July 16, 1979 when I hired on with Houston Lighting & Power. That anniversary, next week, will mark 42 years of service at age 62, that’s long enough. Retiring in a few months.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Christmas of '76 - 07/11/20
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Was living in Coconut Grove during the early months in my new job in ATC and as December rolled around I went shopping. Found something I thought my parents would like and purchased it for about $5.00.

They got a few chuckles out of it, and it remained on display for the rest of their time on this earth. I thought it to be in remarkably good condition, all things considered.

And I guess I'm racist.

DD

PS: I'd do it all over again.

Not a lot of folks have ever seen or know what a roll record is.
Posted By: 22250rem Re: Christmas of '76 - 07/11/20
Very cool, and interesting. Even without the thing to play it. Isn't that the very first form of recorded music that was available to the masses? Before flat vinyl records?
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Christmas of '76 - 07/11/20
Yes it was available to all.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Christmas of '76 - 07/11/20
Saw lots of that kind of stuff on a visit to Edison's laboratorys in Menlo Park, NJ.
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Christmas of '76 - 07/11/20
Nice tube.

Had a few of those before someone offered me nice money for them.

In 76 i was living in Houston and it was hot as hell that year and the humidity sucked.

The only break came when the tropical storms dumped inches of water at one time.

Then the process started all over again.
Posted By: deflave Re: Christmas of '76 - 07/11/20
Originally Posted by Reloder28

Not a lot of folks have ever seen or know what a roll record is.

I'm one of them.
Posted By: NDsnowman Re: Christmas of '76 - 07/11/20
I was in 1st grade. I don't remember much about that Christmas, but I know that winter was one of the worst we had in decades. I know that at one point the police department brought my dad ( a doctor) to work on a snowmobile.
© 24hourcampfire