Home

Went fishing a couple of days ago and of course lost as many flies as fish were caught. Since Cabelas was victimised by a hostile takeover, and Bass Pro has diminished the Cabelas warraty, I have stopped patronizing both stores. So, I stopped by Sportsmans Warehouse to refill my supply of flies. Wow! Half of the shelves are empty. Not ammo mind you, but Camping gear, and fishing gear and accessories. Why is the production or shipping of those kind of things affected by the problems of the times?
Originally Posted by KC

Went fishing a couple of days ago and of course lost as many flies as fish were caught. Since Cabelas was victimised by a hostile takeover, and Bass Pro has diminished the Cabelas warraty, I have stopped patronizing both stores. So, I stopped by Sportsmans Warehouse to refill my supply of flies. Wow! Half of the shelves are empty. Not ammo mind you, but Camping gear, and fishing gear and accessories. Why is the production or shipping of those kind of things affected by the problems of the times?

KC,

Camping is at an all time high. RV sales are through the roof. Camping world stock is up 200%. It's all part of the C-19 EOTW stuff. People are buying the "Bugout" vehicles thinking they will play Walking Dead in the RV running from the hoards of Covid-Zombies.

Try looking for a reasonably priced used RV right now. If you have one taking up space you want to get rid of, now's a good time.
SW seems to have a weird inventory system. As I understand it, it's centralized and local store management has no control over it. At least that's what I've heard.

Paul
Originally Posted by Paul39
SW seems to have a weird inventory system. As I understand it, it's centralized and local store management has no control over it. At least that's what I've heard.

Paul

Same has been true for Cabelas and Bass Pro.

But yeah, it is worse now because of the panic buying and the distribution disruptions.
It’s like that everywhere here in Colorado. It went from I can’t find toilet paper and hand sanitizer to I can’t find anything camping related, Fishing related, mountain bikes, atv’s, UTV’s, kayaks, boats and travel trailers. Good luck finding a camping spot at any state park near a lake too! Everyone has realized that the only thing they can do is spend time outdoors, it’s crazy. I was at a popular mtn bike shop that sells high end bikes, the owner told me he has never sold his entire inventory before summer even started and because of China and COVID there’s nothing coming anytime soon by way of fresh stock.
I recently read that sales of fishing stuff are also way up along with all kinds of outdoors related equipment. Forgot where I saw it but it's probably a combination of being out of work, bored, and a way to social distance.
Originally Posted by KC

I’d say you need to get out more often.

LOL
The stimulus payments for people who never lost their jobs helped too. The ATV shop I frequent told me a lot of guys used the stimulus checks to get new ATV’s and UTV’s.
Oh my, for heaven’s sakes, wonder what could be going on.
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
It’s like that everywhere here in Colorado. It went from I can’t find toilet paper and hand sanitizer to I can’t find anything camping related, Fishing related, mountain bikes, atv’s, UTV’s, kayaks, boats and travel trailers. Good luck finding a camping spot at any state park near a lake too! Everyone has realized that the only thing they can do is spend time outdoors, it’s crazy. I was at a popular mtn bike shop that sells high end bikes, the owner told me he has never sold his entire inventory before summer even started and because of China and COVID there’s nothing coming anytime soon by way of fresh stock.

Yes. All 100% true.

Our governor declared outdoor recreation "essential", so, with everything else shut down, the mountain are full of people. The closest thing to outdoor peace an quiet around here's the private gun range, and every weekend it's as busy as the weekend before hunting season. At least I know what's happening to all the 9mm and .223 Ammo.
As mentioned, a lot of fishing lures (including flies) are made in China.
Originally Posted by KC

KC, I'd say it's more panic buying than an inventory problem.

Funny how things change in an instant. I feel a sense of reverence from the same people who ridiculed me out the side of their mouths for the last many years about "stocking / gearing up".
We were in the SW in Twin Falls, ID a couple days ago. They have large empty shelves all over the store. We were looking at camping gear and saw a lot of empty space.
Originally Posted by slumlord

Haven't seen anything like this in 30 years!
Twin Falls store looked like Mother Hubbard's Cupboard a month ago. Hardware store in Gooding had more outdoor stuff, and ammo at fair prices than SW.
I went to midwayusa to get some .38 special ammo the other day.....a lot of kinds inventoried but only one in stock. Thank goodenss for lots of reloading supplies.
I'm not too worried about ammo and fishing equipment. My local Super1 grocery store limits purchases of beans to 2 cans or 2 packages of dry beans. Might go back to gardening.
I bought a 50# bag of pinto beans yesterday. $30. Should last a while.
We have 75 pounds of rice, so there.
This is bullschit. I can't find spray can cheese anywhere. This is seriously impacting my camping trip to the coast next week.
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

That's not even 40,000 calories.

Just saying.....
Agree on the camping deal. We are very remote and reports are our campgrounds are absolute zoos filled to capacity.
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
That's not even 40,000 calories. Just saying.....
Hope you aren't diabetic.
Not jist sportsman’s.

Academy fishing dept is getting slim.

Even made is USA Zoom baits were slim pickings.
Academy is low on everything , sit in the parking lot finishing my beer and watched all the rednecks spending there simulis checks and unemployment . Their coming out with bikes , grills and fishing poles , Even saw a lady walk out and take her shoes off and throw them in the trash while she put on her new sandals .

I stopped at the Southaven Sportsmans warehouse and they seemed to be out of stock on a lot of stuff . Didn't even look at the guns and ammo .

I think they may be having problems reordering .
We were in the SW in Albuquerque this past Wednesday and fishing stuff was pretty well wiped out there also. On the other hand, I did manage to find all of the ammo I was looking for....even 223, 9mm and 45.
Gonna be a lot of slightly used RV's on the market in a year or so.

Dick
Just left Cabelas.

Gun library was empty. Nothing left. Doors locked.

Handgun ammo was gone. There was a box(1) of 44-40. Lol.

Long gun ammo was probably 80% gone.

Some random shotgun shells.

If you wanted to purchase, it was taking weeks to get cleared according to the old guy putting names on a list.
Originally Posted by Morewood
This is bullschit. I can't find spray can cheese anywhere. This is seriously impacting my camping trip to the coast next week.

Where you heading boss?
Originally Posted by Idaho1945
Gonna be a lot of slightly used RV's on the market in a year or so.

Dick

Finally,

I man who's thinking ahead.

Thank you Detective Steelhead.

Originally Posted by Morewood

Check the DG.

Clover valley brand foods in where it’s at.
https://www.theflystop.com
Don't be a victim, buy now.

Peppers' guide to canned cheese.

https://preparednessmama.com/canned-cheese/
BTW, in Montana the Scheels and Murdochs I've seen have goods. Primers and cheap 22cal bullets the general exception.
Originally Posted by TimberRunner

And
https://www.mrfc.com/
Clover Valley needs to make game load.

You any close to the DG worldwide headquarters?

Goodlettsville or something.

You could be the official campfire DG liaison.
Originally Posted by Rick n Tenn
Academy is low on everything , sit in the parking lot finishing my beer and watched all the rednecks spending there simulis checks and unemployment . Their coming out with bikes , grills and fishing poles , Even saw a lady walk out and take her shoes off and throw them in the trash while she put on her new sandals .

I stopped at the Southaven Sportsmans warehouse and they seemed to be out of stock on a lot of stuff . Didn't even look at the guns and ammo .

every Time I have been in the Southhaven store for several months the Handgun ammo selection has been slim to none.
Past several times they had no 380acp ,no 45 acp.

Their online ammo setup does not allow for seeing what is in stock or out of stock until after a selection is made.
Wish they had a in stock tab .only tab.

When Walmart stopped Handgun ammo sales it really hurt factory ammo availability.
And what there is to be found is higher than it should be.
Of course Sportsmans Warehouse Prices have always been Higher than a cats tail anyway.

I have asked when certain Items would be back in and told that they really dont know what will be sent and when.
If that is true then the Left hand does not know what the Right hand is doing .
What a cluster Fug.
I used to be firearms manager at their (2008) shortlived Allen Park, MI store. All ordering was done centrally. They hardly sent us any S&W 642s even though they were flying off the shelves. They told me that our inventory was modeled after their Wisconsin stores. The only problem was that at that time, Wisconsin didn't allow concealed carry so the gun wasn't popular there.
Originally Posted by UPhiker
I used to be firearms manager at their (2008) shortlived Allen Park, MI store. All ordering was done centrally. They hardly sent us any S&W 642s even though they were flying off the shelves. They told me that our inventory was modeled after their Wisconsin stores. The only problem was that at that time, Wisconsin didn't allow concealed carry so the gun wasn't popular there.

Sounds like they need a real Data Scientist to help them with their inventory control.
Williston’s has a lot of ammo today, except 22s

Paul

Similar to Walmart's.

kwg
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

You could be the official campfire DG liaison.

About 60 miles

Not sure if the AMC Eagle would make up there without overheating
Originally Posted by kwg020

Paul

Similar to Walmart's.

kwg

But unlike Walmart, Walmart has people who actually understand data.
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

It's on the interstate between Bowling Green and Nashville, about at the point where traffic goes from Bad to Insane.

If their stores would start cutting baloney sandwiches and selling nightcrawlers, there wouldn't be much need to go anywhere else.

Sounds like they need a real Data Scientist to help them with their inventory control.

Or someone with local knowledge. We were also real heavy with musky lures, which isn't a big thing around here. Slug guns were in short supply, too.
There's a small Ohio chain that's doing good, with good selection and pricing. It's called Fin Feather and Fur and has around a half dozen stores in the northern half of the state.
Not fishing related, but try and find chickens around here.Bought some lumber the other day from Amish lumber yard, kid says they are selling more lumber for chicken coups than anything else right know. Wife bought four pullets and best price we found for Spangles that she wanted was $10 a piece. Used to buy a dozen for $10 last year. Chicken wire is impossible to find around here. I can't imagine most people actually taking care of chickens long enough for them to start laying. Simply crazy, chickens of all things.

Or maybe just let the local managers order what they need.

Or someone with local knowledge. We were also real heavy with musky lures, which isn't a big thing around here. Slug guns were in short supply, too.

A real DS dosn't need local knowledge. He can correlate complementary item that sell well locally to know what to, and not to stock. I've always contended that's a good part of the reason Gandermountain went out of business. They stocked all they stores as if the whole country was Minnesota.

But listening to your end users also helps....
The ganderMTN in Central MS stocked elk calls.
I heard the Walmart in Olive Branch and Hernando Ms, was lowest they have ever scene on all fishing gear.
Originally Posted by Rick n Tenn

Rick, I like your style.

‘Sitting in the parking lot finishing my beer and watching the rednecks’ ‘.

I like it !
All of the sporting goods shops near us are running low on everything. Fishing,ammo,reloading,etc. I pick up a little here and there.
Bass Pro has a sign, something about correct change.
Bass Pro has a sign, something about correct change.

You gotta pay to go thru the turnstill?

Just to spend money in the store..

Sweet baby jeebus.
Originally Posted by KC

Because all that crap is made in CHINA
Originally Posted by KC

same in flagstaff store
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub

Some piece of [bleep] broke into my garage and stole mine and my wife’s mountain bike. I have not been able to find anything in the same class to replace either one. Everything is sold out unless you want to pay $4k or more.
Near all commercial flies are tied in Asia. Might be a virus shipping issue.
Originally Posted by KC

It's weird the number of diverse merchandise that's unavailable in connection to COVID-19. Just the other day, I was calling around local jewelry stores for a replacement watch band for the one that's worn out. They said their suppliers are all out of stock, and essentially not functioning right now. They said I should try getting a replacement band after the pandemic is over. Weird. When will that be?
TRH, I recently bought two of the canvas quick release one’s for my son from these guys...
https://www.bartonwatchbands.com/
Piece of cake all the way around. Arrived in the mailbox within a few days.
Barton makes really good watch straps. I have their NATO straps on all my wristwatches.
The one’s I got him appeared to be pretty flippin’ stout...!
People still wear wrist watches?
Yeah. And some people even still write checks...!
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by KC

It's weird the number of diverse merchandise that's unavailable in connection to COVID-19. Just the other day, I was calling around local jewelry stores for a replacement watch band for the one that's worn out. They said their suppliers are all out of stock, and essentially not functioning right now. They said I should try getting a replacement band after the pandemic is over. Weird. When will that be?

Nov 4th
© 24hourcampfire