Home
I was outside at 4.30 this morning but didn't see it. I might have been a little early and it would be right over city lights in the NE. By the end of this week, it will be visible in the evening in the NW which, for us, will be much better viewing. We haven't had a good visible comet in 25 years.
My morning view of it is blocked by about a thousand feet of rock. I'm eagerly awaiting the sight of it in the evenings.
Since I missed it six thousand years ago, I'm really hoping to catch a glimpse of it this time.

And a big good morning to everyone!
I didn't see the comet this morning but I got a good look at Venus, Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn. They're all quite bright right now. Venus came up about 4 AM. The others were well up at that time.
It will still be low in the evening sky. You may need binoculars and a good chart to find it. find the chart here: Spaceweather.com
Observers of Comet NEOWISE (C/2020 F3), by far the finest comet in years, have had just one complaint. You have to wake up at the crack of dawn to see it! Not anymore. NEOWISE is now visible in the evening sky, too.
Remember Hale-Bopp? That one was incredible.
We have clouds, I don’t have x-ray vision.
BTW, there's a YouTube vid about how to photograph NEOWISE.

Nope.
Originally Posted by RS308MX

I was working nights outside in the dark of SE Oregon when it came by. Pretty darn cool. Saw a hell of a fireball then too, rolling flames and all.

Speaking of fireballs. A couple of weeks ago in the SSW sky from Dubois ID I saw a pretty good fireball that turned from redish to an intense bright green for the last bit. Pretty cool.

We can sweat all the Earthly doom and gloom and it won't matter a bit when one of them gets us.
I clearly remember Halley's Comet in '86. It was large but very faint. Here it was almost impossible to see without binocs but a pair of 7x40's made it really stand out. It was the full width of the FOV.
Originally Posted by RS308MX

I got up to whiz about 1:00 am and looked up through the skylight. Wow. I got Carol and Ben outta bed, and we spent an hour or more in the yard on a blanket, marveling at it.
Where and when is the best time for NEOWISE here in the northeast? Maybe Penny and I can check it out.
7mm
Right now the best time is just before daylight in the NE but in a few days it will be better at dusk in the NW. It'll be about 10 degrees above the horizon, subject to change as the earth turns.
Finally looked at it this morning, hard to find from here (41 N-123W), 18 deg magnetic, just barely above a timbered ridgeline at 03:45. Impressive. Struck a chord in my ancestry I guess, felt like sacrificing a virgin, naw, maybe a goat. I am a strong believer in signs and portents (who has gone to sea in small boats and ignores signs and portents?). My first instinct from seeing this comet is that Trump wins for another 4.
I'm still waiting, after 47 years, to see Kahoutek.
I haven't seen it yet. It's been too cloudy here both evening and morning every day.
No I have not. I should look for it.
Thanks for the update, I didn’t know about the comet 🙂
Crap - I forgot about that.. I hope it's clear here tomorrow am, but forecasts call for rain..
Originally Posted by Redneck
Crap - I forgot about that.. I hope it's clear here tomorrow am, but forecasts call for rain..
You have another 2 weeks to see it.
Its a sign of GOD.....
It brings a portent of the error of our ways.
Aint gonna be back for what??? Another 6k years.

That should be about 1:35 am tommorow morning in God time right????
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Have you seen the comet yet? - 07/13/20
Someone reminded me of it last week so we got up at 3:00 am sunday to go look for it. Didn't see it from the yard (we're down in the trees) so we drove up to the main highway (an open buckthorn flat). I didn't see it right off, I was looking too much to the east, but once I saw it, it was pretty obvious. I had my old gold ring 10x42s and a gold ring 12-40x spotting scope ... very very impressive. It was worth getting up early for. Definitely.

It was lower / closer to the horizon than I thought it would be and I think more NNE than NE as I'd been told.

Tom
© 24hourcampfire