Home
My wife is itching to go north to see some Fall color this year. Travel and visiting relatives up north in Northern Indiana is a real problem because we have a dog we can't leave behind with anyone, and we can't expect her people to accept him into their homes. He's a real ball of fire and we love him very much.

So...we started talking about where we could go that would be far enough away from Michigan City that we wouldn't feel guilty for not going to see them all, and I came up with the Black Hills. I've never been there and neither has she. We've found a place to stay for four or five days, but it is booked until October 10th. It is between Rapid City and the Black Hills and looks like a pretty good deal.

Is that too late in the season, or should we jump on it?
Call the local Chambers of Commerce or local office of Tourism,
I've never been there either, but my impression of the Black Hills is it's mostly a coniferous forest. Surely there are pockets or ribbons of deciduous trees and shrubs, but nothing like the traditional "color viewing" areas. I could be mistaken though having not visited the area.
Another to consider is the Hwy 550 loop from Durango, Silverton, Ouray, Ridgeway, down to Cortez, then Hwy 160 east back to Durango.

Absolutely beautiful.

Once back in Durango take Hwy 160 east and over Wol Creek Pass down to Alamosa.

Y’all won’t regret those trips if y’all haven’t yet done them.
Spearfish canyon has what you want , but Oct 10 might be a tad late

google fall colors spearfish canyon for info

lots to see around the area though and a real nice time of year to visit

buffalo roundup at Custer Park is going to be Sept 25
Spearfish canyon's peak time is usually mid September to early October. In a normal year the 10th would have color but passed it's peak. Here is a link to the canyon.

https://visitspearfish.com/things-to-do/spearfish-canyon-fall-foliage
I found this just a while ago:

[Linked Image from spearfishchamber.org]

Looks as though it's pretty much all over with by October 10.

We'll look at Colorado and Utah. Still very open to suggestions. Thanks guys.
Arizona would be awesome, too...it's been so many years since I spent any time there, I don't recall where the right kind of vegetation lives to see Fall color.
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
I've never been there either, but my impression of the Black Hills is it's mostly a coniferous forest. Surely there are pockets or ribbons of deciduous trees and shrubs, but nothing like the traditional "color viewing" areas. I could be mistaken though having not visited the area.

GOLDEN YELLOW ASPEN!
© 24hourcampfire