Home
Posted By: luv2safari Gout Advice - 07/14/20
YIKES!!! eek

This is new and not altogether fun. My first gout bout came a week ago, and the meds aren't doing wonders.

How do those here who get it get rid of it? I've changed my diet, but carbs aren't a smart option. My glucose is a bit elevated---pre-diabetic.

I'm all ears ( and a big red foot).
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: Gout Advice - 07/14/20
They only thing in my diet that seems to affect it is gluten, which I shouldn't eat anyway. That and not getting enough water. The tart cherry seemed to help in the beginning when I couldn't figure it out, but luckily in my case if I drink enough water and stay away from the wheat products. I'm fortunate in that I tolerate the allopurinol and it keeps things at bay by and large.

So I guess all I can say to help is drink a lot of water and maybe try adding in the tart cherry extract.

It sucks balls.
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Gout Advice - 07/14/20
Drink lots and lots of water. As you said, watch your diet. Get a good anti-inflamatory prescribed. When you feel an attack coming, get that AI running by doubling the first dose. If you get ahead of the inflamation, you can reduce the severity and duration.

I have Vimovo prescribed. Easy on the stomach.
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Gout Advice - 07/14/20

Go get some bitter cherry juice and drink a couple glasses of it and it will do wonders... it’s the only thing that worked for me.

Try it
Originally Posted by AB2506
Drink lots and lots of water. As you said, watch your diet. Get a good anti-inflamatory prescribed. When you feel an attack coming, get that AI running by doubling the first dose. If you get ahead of the inflamation, you can reduce the severity and duration.

Dittos on the anti-inflammatory, but be careful on the dose. I've got icthamycin or something (green caplets) and it works but is hard on the stomach. I'd not take more than the prescribed amount no way no how.
Posted By: VaHunter Re: Gout Advice - 07/14/20
Drink lots of water. Any medicine giving to me to lessen the pain seemed to do little. I had my first attack 1 1/2 years ago and suffered 3 attacks in one year. I am now on 100mg Allopurinol and since I have started it I have not had a problem. I have slowed down my beer drinking, which all of my attacks could be attributed to a beer event, like football tailgate, etc.

My sons both have severe gout problems and one is one 300mg and the other one 500mg to control the gout.
Last thing I'll say is gout varies widely. Both the triggers, and the treatments that work for you. What works for one guy may not work for you. I found that out too.
Posted By: windridge Re: Gout Advice - 07/14/20
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

Dittos on the anti-inflammatory, but be careful on the dose. I've got icthamycin or something (green caplets) and it works but is hard on the stomach. I'd not take more than the prescribed amount no way no how.

Probably indomethacin. That stuff is murder on stomachs.
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Gout Advice - 07/14/20
I took the prescribed indomethacin until the flare-up was over the last time then started allopurinol.
Originally Posted by windridge

That's it! It's awful.
Posted By: duck911 Re: Gout Advice - 07/14/20
Originally Posted by windridge

That's the stuff. It will help stop acute gout attacks - but it is not for long term treatement. That's the role of Allopurinol. Anywhere from 100mg to 375mg a day is the usual Allopurinol dose for gout.

I had gout, but with diet and a few changes I was able to get off the meds, and I am all good now.

My triggers were red wine, heavy beers (homebrew, IPAs) and shellfish.

Now I limit shrimp and lobster, drink lighter beers (or distilled spirits) when I drink, and I am good to go.

But DAYUM........... Anyone who has not had it.... does not understand the pain.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Gout Advice - 07/14/20
Me and an old buddy got a sweet gig once when I lived in Alaska. Deal was we’d peddle live Dungeness crabs on the street corner after work in the evenings. Payment was all the crabs we could eat.

We were both eating 2 or 3 for lunch at the shop and another 3-5 for supper every night. Boil up a big batch on Sunday and stash them in the work fridge, house fridge, deep freeze, we had them everywhere and the guys we worked with always complained when we’d microwave a few at lunch.

Anyway this goes on for about 5 or 6 weeks when all the sudden he’s wearing his house slippers to the shop because he can’t get his shoes on his big red swollen feet. His knees were locked up and red, swelled up like cantaloupes. He had no idea except that maybe he’d managed to sprain his entire lower body slipping on the ice or something! Oh well he still had lunches and supper fit for a king.

Finally a Dr buddy of ours, who also suffers from gout got wind of what was up and looked him over. He proclaimed it possibly the worst gout attack in the history of mankind!

He eventually got ironed out with some meds and diet change but we laughed about it until the day he died. He was very susceptible to future flares afterward, a six pack or even one king crab cluster and he’d be back in house shoes for a week.

Sorry, not laughing at you and I hope you’re better soon. I just get reminded of him anytime gout is mentioned.
Posted By: hanco Re: Gout Advice - 07/14/20
A couple of guys at work get that. They talk like it is no fun at all!
Posted By: ready_on_the_right Re: Gout Advice - 07/14/20
No alcohol, no pork, if on a diuretic BP medicine see if your doc will let you try a version without the diuretic (worked for me),

Heard a laxative would help clear out acid from your system but never tried it,

It definitely sux!

Mike
I spent 30 days living on steak, pork chops, and gin. Only added celery to keep things moving. Literally. No gout issues at all. I have a buddy that can't even look at a venison roast or steak, or have anything with high fructose corn syrup. It varies so widely. They work on curing the queers of AIDS but not gout lol.
Posted By: Fugawe Re: Gout Advice - 07/14/20
As I've said before, see a good rheumatologist. They will straighten you out, probably with Allopurinol. Purine is the element that triggers gout attacks by causing you to produce too much uric acid. Lots of it in shellfish,
organ meats and other things. I went to a GP who put me on Allopurinol too early and I had an attack that lasted over a week. All inflammation must be gone before starting it.
Colchicine did the trick for me.
My rheumatologist got me on Allopurinol, properly, 19 years ago and I haven't had an attack since.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Gout Advice - 07/14/20
Originally Posted by luv2safari
YIKES!!! eek

This is new and not altogether fun. My first gout bout came a week ago, and the meds aren't doing wonders.

How do those here who get it get rid of it? I've changed my diet, but carbs aren't a smart option. My glucose is a bit elevated---pre-diabetic.

I'm all ears ( and a big red foot).

Get to a
rheumatologist before you do anything else.
Posted By: hatari Re: Gout Advice - 07/14/20
Dude, gout is a M’fer for sure. Crippling in an indescribable manner.
Colchicine fur the acute attack
Allopurinol daily for prevention

SLOWLY lose some weight. Often 15-25 lbs makes a difference.

Crash diet will bring on attacks.

High protein low carb plus alcohol is suicide!!!

Good luck!
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: Gout Advice - 07/14/20
My gout started about 10 or 12 yrs ago - wasn't sure what it was first few episodes. Flares up in big toe or ankle (worse than in toe!). Only reasonable connection I could make to diet was flareups early on seemed to be connected to eating scallops. Stopped eating them, maybe someday I'll try some again to see what happens - I really liked scallops. No correlation to beer consumption or anything else. Doctors said that lots of time it really can't be traced to diet.

Most NSAIDs didn't help me - went thru motrin, naproxen, maybe some others until I got script for indomethacin. The indo worked well to knock down flareup, no noticeable side effects for me taking it for 3 to 7 days, but the cardiologists took that away from me a few yrs ago. Tried colchicine - useless for me. Ended up with script for prednisone (a cortical steroid), it works, but takes longer to work than indomethacin and you have to go thru a taper off dosage for a week - I don't like taking it. Wasn't getting flareups often enough to use a preventative like allopurinol. Haven't had a flareup in well over a year and a half now - no real changes in diet or lifestyle except lost about 20 lbs. Blood work still shows slightly elevated uric acid levels, so probably not over it. Good new is my current doctor says if I need it he's ok with giving me a new indomethacin script - says that taking it for just a few days isn't the risk to cardio system that some people make it out to be.

If you end up with an NSAID prescription (like naproxen, naprosin, indomethacin etc) make sure to follow instructions. Don't take on empty stomach, and use prescribed dose. I made mistake early on of trying to use half prescribed dose of indomethacin worrying about side effects - bad idea - stretched out gout episode, would last 5 to 7 days. When I took right dose it would ease up the gout in 2 to 4 days. Once I learned to recognize first signs of flareup I could use the indo for just 2 or 3 days and avoid a full attack.
Posted By: Papag Re: Gout Advice - 07/14/20
Thirty years of experience here. Big toe. Ankles, knees, knuckles, and a few other places. It can get to kidneys. I can no longer take nsaids due to chronic kidney disease, possibly from nsaid treatment. Only recourse now is copious intake of water (keep your urine straw colored to almost clear), allopurinol daily (I recently had to go back up to 100mg from 50 per day), and stay away from shellfish, asparagus, red wine, dark beer, too much red meat, and everything fun and tasty. I used to take a dose of Joggin in a jug daily but can't find it any more.
I spent 30 days living on steak, pork chops, and gin. Only added celery to keep things moving. Literally. No gout issues at all. I have a buddy that can't even look at a venison roast or steak, or have anything with high fructose corn syrup. It varies so l.

Gout is a result of an inherited metabolic condition with the amino acid purine. It causes the deposition of Uric acid crystals into joints. When observed under a microscope, these crystals appears as long thin glass like needles that are HIGHLY inflammatory.

It’s genetic. It sux!
BTW
Your Internist is more than capable of treating your gout.
Posted By: thumbcocker Re: Gout Advice - 07/14/20
I took 8 ounces of water with a tablespoon of baking soda. And one whole squeezed lemon. You can't od on it. It worked for me in two days. A fellow gout sufferer gave me the recipe.Take as much as you want.
Posted By: JBabcock Re: Gout Advice - 07/14/20
Runs in my family, it sucks. It sucks big time. In fact I was at the Doctor today about it. Have it in my thumb for the first time. Made the mistake of eating a rib-eye, and then a New York a day later. I stay away from good steaks and alcohol. It sucks. For those that haven’t had it, the pain is like needles being shoved into your joint. As a kid I use to see my Grams moan from it. Thank God we have meds today. Now I whimper instead of moaning.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Gout Advice - 07/14/20
I’ve had attacks over the years, always in the joint making the ball of my foot. Felt like an ice pick in the joint digging away.

Have had it in both feet, but never at the same time. Was on allopurinol at one time but not due several years. Doctor was adamant to not take it unless the attack was completely gone. Somebody above me said the same thing.

The last time I had it was for like 4 or 5 days. Was given some colchicine, told to not trust a fart, and good luck. By that night I was back in my work boots instead of unlaced tennis shoes. Went through a lot of Charmin to get there though. Colchicine is like $6/pill here. You can buy it in Cozumel for $6/box. I carry it in my backpack with my laptop everywhere I go. It helped me that much.

I tried the tart cherry juice and the baking soda in water, neither did anything for me. Drinking lots of water can’t hurt though.

Best information I got was actually from my eye doctor. He suffers from it. Told him I had it in an exam but didn’t know what caused it. He left and cane back with a printout of 100 foods, all “trigger” foods. Told me on my next attack, to think back 3 days for everything I’d ate and mark it. After a few attacks, hopefully a trend would develop on what good to avoid. His trigger was MSG in Chinese food. As luck would have it, I haven’t had an attack in a few years.
Posted By: robertham1 Re: Gout Advice - 07/14/20
Prednisone will have you feeling better in less than 24 hours- but shouldn’t be relied upon for long term treatment.

Sugar, specifically fructose, is extremely bad for gout as uric acid is a byproduct of your body processing fructose. So stay away from sugary drinks, or anything else that has high fructose corn syrup in it.
Another suggestion is to lower your fruit intake- specifically high sugar/low fiber fruit like melons and grapes. The fiber negates the uric acid byproduct that your body produces when metabolizing sugar.

Hopefully ETOH will come along with some of his wisdom.
Posted By: sollybug Re: Gout Advice - 07/14/20
Q black cherry juice and avoid red meat asparagus and alcohol in high doses.
Posted By: MM879 Re: Gout Advice - 07/14/20
Just read the book "How not to Die" If you invest the time to read this book you will have all the information needed to change your life.

https://nutritionfacts.org/book/
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: Gout Advice - 07/14/20
Colchicine and Indomethacin for immediate relief. Colchicine will tear up your stomach like nothing else, the "atomic sh its" are real and unpleasant. Indomethacin isn't the stuff that's hard on the stomach, that's Colchicine. Indomethacin has never bothered me a bit. Allopurinol is a long term preventative and works great, but it shouldn't be taken when someone is having a gout attack. It works by purging the body of uric acid and that requires the body's excess uric acid to be removed from tissue, enter the bloodstream, and be filtered out by the kidneys then pissed out. That extra uric acid in the bloodstream will make an ongoing gout attack worse, not better. That's the reason why when someone is started on Allopurinol they're given gradually increasing doses. You don't want to start out with a full strength dose, it'll suddenly increase the uric acid in the blood and trigger a gout attack. You've got to slowly get your body to purge it so your kidneys have time to remove it.

Black cherry juice is a traditional home remedy and can help some. Like most home remedies though it's a poor substitute for modern medicines. You can chug black cherry juice for weeks and maybe feel a little better, or get the right medicines and be feeling better by the day's end. I know which one I'll pick.
Posted By: Frank_K Re: Gout Advice - 07/14/20
Question, are you taking any Statin Drugs? They are commonly proscribed for Cholesterol issues. I was on all of them in varying doses for several years. I found I am allergic to them and kept coming up with Rhabdomyolisis which led to joint problems which led to gout attacks. I finally stopped taking the statins and have been gout free for about 8 years. When off the statins my uric acid levels came down to normal range. I can't quote any studies confirming this but that has been the result. I've since come across quite a few people that take statins and have had gout. My diet was never high on purines and has been the same over the whole period.
Posted By: shootbrownelk Re: Gout Advice - 07/14/20
I take allopurinol and diclofenac (an anti- inflamatory) Haven't had a bout with the gout for 20 years. Knock on wood.
Posted By: StoneCutter Re: Gout Advice - 07/14/20
Go see a doctor. I take allopurinol every day. Take 3 Alive twice a day until it gets better. When I had it, it took about a month before my toe was back to 100%.

When I had it, my uric acid level was at 8. Now I run about 4.
Posted By: travelingman1 Re: Gout Advice - 07/14/20
Dark cherry juice is the bomb for me. Clears it up overnight if I drink an 8 ounce glass.
Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: Gout Advice - 07/14/20
Woke up one morning 40 years ago. I thought I had broke my foot. Big toe could not stand to have the sheet laying on it. Doctor gave me Butazolidin. If I remember right I could only take 8 pills over about 12 hours. They stopped the Gout
Attack until next time. Been on Allopuriinol ever since. Hasbeen
Posted By: Etoh Re: Gout Advice - 07/14/20
Really good article at

NCBI-NHI The Genetics of hyperurcemia and gout.

lastest perspective on genetic role and risk factors such as high blood pressure, overweight, diet.
Posted By: Colorado14er Re: Gout Advice - 07/14/20
I have never had gout, but my brother has for many years. I recently visited him and he noticed my shoulders were in a lot of pain, I have some bad arthritis in there. He told me to try CBD oil. Apparently he has been using it for his gout and has been pain free since he started. This is in addition to the meds prescribed by the Doc. Young living is the specific brand he recommended. I have not tried it but will pass along the suggestion.
Posted By: Hudge Re: Gout Advice - 07/14/20
I take Allopurinol for my gout.it doesn’t get rid of it, but makes it where I can get on with my day to day life.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Gout Advice - 07/14/20
Keep your piss clear from drinking more water.
Posted By: Skankhunt42 Re: Gout Advice - 07/14/20

I started getting it bad last summer. Was drinking a lot of spiced rum. Of course they put me on a steroid and some other drug, can't recall right now. But I went thru that several times last summer.

Now I take Alpurinol (SP?) in the morning and at night. I can tell you if I forget a nightly dose and I have a little too much to drink I def feel it the next day.
© 24hourcampfire