Home
Posted By: Uncle_Alvah Riding mower - 07/16/20
Going to start looking to replace my riding mower.
All things being equal, is a zero turn mower more expensive than a lawn tractor?
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Riding mower - 07/16/20
yeah
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Riding mower - 07/16/20
I haven't looked in years so I can't comment on expensive of a zero-turn but if it is.....it's worth it!
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Riding mower - 07/16/20
You'll never go back to a lawn tractor once you use a zero turn.
Posted By: ChuckKY Re: Riding mower - 07/16/20
Originally Posted by Bristoe

Almost as much difference between a zero turn and a lawn tractor as there is between a push mower and a lawn tractor. Don't ever see myself buying another lawn tractor to mow grass with again. I've had a zero turn for eleven years now.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Riding mower - 07/16/20
Unless you have a small no obstacle free lawn, Zero turn for sure.
Posted By: Boomer454 Re: Riding mower - 07/16/20
If you're just looking to mow, the zero turn is worth a thought. I don't think it can give you as much utility as some of the bigger tractors, though.
Add to that that I just don't like the funky looks of the zero turn grin
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: Riding mower - 07/16/20
GRAVELY 72" will 'hog' some grass!! Beats the crap outa John Deere!

Deere has a button on the end of the steering pod that acutes the up/down on the deck! Requires hydraulic fluid whereas the GRAVELY is all manual and works like a jewel!

The up/down on the Deere deck is a PITA!!
Posted By: Theeck Re: Riding mower - 07/16/20
We have a Kubota zero turn and it has been great.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Riding mower - 07/16/20
Neighbor been all smiles the last couple of weeks, just got a $8K Scag.....had to use his truck to pull off of his pond edge last night[only time he wasn't all smiles about it].
Posted By: gonehuntin Re: Riding mower - 07/16/20
Husqvarna lawn tractor for nine years/300 hours for 2.2 acres, I'd buy one again.
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: Riding mower - 07/16/20
Bought a new house last fall, moved in over the winter. Went from a quarter acre to 9 acres, mow about 2 acres, so time for a new mower. Priced zero-turns and looked at lawn tractors. A cheap zero turn costs at least a grand more than a same size deck tractor. Zero turns are slick, better if you have a lot of obstacles to mow around, probably faster, definitely much more expensive - I bought a lawn tractor!

Ended up with a 46" deck Cub Cadet XT2 LX46. The Cub Cadets get pretty good reviews. Mine was a 2019 model left over from last year, so got a little price reduction. Hydrostatic drive, 24 hp kohler v-twin engine, and a tight 16 inch turning radius. If you haven't looked at lawn tractors lately they've really improved steering and turning radius - still not a zero turn, but much improved. No regrets choosing the tractor.
Posted By: kudu3 Re: Riding mower - 07/16/20
Depends on what you want it to do. If it is just to cut grass, zero turn all day long. I have two, one husqvarna and one Deere. I would never go back to a lawn tractor. If you also want attachments like snow blower, tiller, etc. then you need the tractor.

Dean
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Riding mower - 07/16/20
I bought a used 2004 model year 54" Exmark with 700 hours from a coworker that dabbled in commercial mowing. I think I've had it for better than 10 years now. I've abused the heck out of it. It just keeps on mowing.

Before it I had a Craftsman Lawn Tractor, 46"???. It took me close to 3 hours to mow my yard with it. With the ZTR, it was just over an hour.

If it ever truly dies, I'll buy another. Not sure what brand I'd replace it with. The more steel the better in my opinion.
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Riding mower - 07/16/20
Zero turn and Commercial Model if you can swing it.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Riding mower - 07/16/20
It's hard to compare prices between a ZTR and a tractor.

ZTR is much more expensive to build, and longer lasting than a cheap
boxstore tractor. Apples to oranges in use, and build quality.

She up to a JD or Kubota tractor built to commercial standard and compare it
to a Hustler, Exmark, or similar ZTR at the lower end of c commercial, and
money wise you are close. Mowing wise?
The ZTR driver will have a shower and be drinking a cold beer while the tractor driver
will still be riding.

If you don't have a few hours experience running a ZTR, you just can't believe how
fast they mow compared to a tractor.

Wide deck, ground speed, and turn time combine to cut huge times off mowing.
I told a guy at work that.
He called BS. Said he mows in circles, it couldn t save much time.

He bought a higher level Toro this year.
And now he mows in nice straight lines.
Way faster than in the past.

Now, he believes.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Riding mower - 07/16/20
Can't imagine ever thinking I need a damned $8000 machine to mow the fuggin yard.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Riding mower - 07/16/20
Our Grasshopper cost $10,000, with a few hours on it. On the farm a diesel would be great. Those are wide mowers, my lovely wife has too many obstacles for a wide mower.
Posted By: ChuckKY Re: Riding mower - 07/16/20
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Can't imagine ever thinking I need a damned $8000 machine to mow the fuggin yard.

Who ever thought you would have to give $50K-$70K for a new pickup? I've got over 900 hours on a eleven year old zero turn, only replaced one idler pulley. Still using the same deck belt that came on it. Cost twice as much as a lawn tractor, lasted twice as long and a hell of a lot easier on me for eleven years mowing a four acre yard.
Posted By: TF49 Re: Riding mower - 07/16/20
Originally Posted by Uncle_Alvah
All things being equal, is a zero turn mower more expensive than a lawn tractor?

I ended up,owning a John Deere law tractor and a Hustler zero turn. The zero turn is match better.... also travels comfortably about twice the speed of the John Deere,,,.better suspension and seat..... so, it gets the job done twice as fast and more comfortably than the lawn tractor.

Also the zero turn is better and more comfortable over rough and uneven ground.
Posted By: Blu_Cs Re: Riding mower - 07/16/20
I have two John Deere riding lawn mowers. Bought the second one for less than half the price of a new deck (which was needed) on the old one. Two is one....right? I figure I'm trapped for another year or so, then plan to look for something less mickey mouse.
Posted By: jeeper Re: Riding mower - 07/16/20
Originally Posted by Uncle_Alvah

Have had a Scag zero turn since 2004 , best lawn mower ever had .
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Riding mower - 07/16/20
Uncle Alvah: Absolutely, and absolutely worth it!
If YOU have a lot of lawn like "I" do then buy a John Deere "Accel-Deep" Model with 54" dual deck and the "Power-Bagger" option and "don't look back"!
This machine is one of the top five mechanical devices I have have ever bought in my 73 years on earth (and I have bought thousands of them!)!
Indeed the "zero turn" John Deere has cut my lawn mowing time from 4 hours (with a regular lawn tractor!) to 1 1/2 hours with the giant John Deere zero turn mower.
Go "zero turn" - absofrigginlutely.
Buy American.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: GO TRUMP
MAGA
Posted By: okie Re: Riding mower - 07/16/20
No.when you figure in the amount of time you are not mowing it adds up twice. You gain more time to do something else and the machine will last longer due to lower hours per year . Win Win....
Posted By: prplbkrr Re: Riding mower - 07/16/20
Look at the "Bad Boy" line of zero turns. I have a ZTR Elite. 60" deck does my 1 acre in 45 mins. Many trees!! I sprung for the Kawasaki engine and the adjustable seat.

I bought it 'cause the deck is 3/16" steel. Can stand on it and not tweak the deck. I looked at a dozen or so Zero Turn mowers,Toro, Simplicity, Deere, Ferris, Gravely (had to take off the hydrostatic pump to change the belts on these, no thanks), Husquavarna, Cub Cadet.The salesmen all said "do not stand on the deck". Everyone of them.

The Bad Boy rep said, "Go ahead, stand on the deck. You won't hurt it".

Full disclosure... Walkers, Hustlers and Scags were out of my price range.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Riding mower - 07/16/20

I can save you a bundle. Only $999.99!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Riding mower - 07/17/20
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

that's no schidt

all ya do is walk on it...dog(s) schidt on it..........

If its green...fine with me.......

Bought a Cub Cadet 3 yrs ago for $1700...46"

Kohler twin 24 horse

has a cup holder for my Bud Lite........

110+ hrs & no issues
Posted By: srwshooter Re: Riding mower - 07/17/20
My 2012 bad boy has been a great mower, 50” cut with Kawasaki engine. Built like a tank.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Riding mower - 07/17/20
I had a Dixie chopper for 4 weeks, sold it and bought a Kubota G1900 diesel lawn/garden tractor. We have a hilly yard and the Dixie chopper sucked ass for it. I like mowing though. Head phones, iPod and cold beer. Wish it took longer.
Posted By: NH Hunter Re: Riding mower - 07/17/20
Sold my house last year and left my zero turn with them. Mowing there about 4 acres 2.5/3 hours. Bought a house with 1 acre and specifically bought a tractor. Why, takes me 45 minutes to mow and I can drink 2 Corona while drivng tractor and mowing. Couldn't drink any while using zero turn. At point in life where enjoying my mowing is important.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Riding mower - 07/17/20
Take longer? I have a solution for you ^^^^^^
Posted By: slumlord Re: Riding mower - 07/17/20
Get on Craigslist and buy a $600 junker.

That’s what I do about every 5 years.

My grass looks as good as my brother in law’s yard and he has an $8500 mover big as my living room. Leaves it parked in the rain and weather.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Riding mower - 07/17/20
FWIW I live in town.

.2 acres of show grass.

Gay looking 42'' Toro. But the little fuucker is 24hp and cuts like a raped ape.

It's zero turn with a steering wheel which means I can drink a beer every .1 acres... Genius.
Posted By: IA_fog Re: Riding mower - 07/17/20
Originally Posted by Bristoe

And I’m in the other camp have had both and will never go back to a zero turn. Too rough riding can’t enjoy mowing like on a tractor
Posted By: ChuckKY Re: Riding mower - 07/17/20
Originally Posted by jackmountain
I had a Dixie chopper for 4 weeks, sold it and bought a Kubota G1900 diesel lawn/garden tractor. We have a hilly yard and the Dixie chopper sucked ass for it. I like mowing though. Head phones, iPod and cold beer. Wish it took longer.

You're not right jack, a zero turn doesn't even make mowing fun after the first couple of times and it's 98 degrees in the shade.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Riding mower - 07/17/20
Ignore the brand loyalty.

It's Bullshit.

ZTR's are a welded square tube frame, with a welded tabbed deck.
An off the rack engine and drive units are bolted on.

Everyone except, maybe, Scag makes cheap consumer models.

Make sure the model (not the manufacturer of the engine is a good one)
Hydrogear makes the drives. Get at least a 3100 series.

After that, look at specific features like thickness of deck (overrated unless you are bushogging)
Suspensions, etc.

They really are more alike than different.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Riding mower - 07/17/20
I put some donor John deer front wheels on my husqvarna 48” rider.

Took the front clip cover off the mower. Looks like something george Jones would borrow to drive to the liquor store.

I run over rocks and gravel, edge of the sidewalk ,sticks (1” is my limit), ran a tomato cage over other evening. That was a mthfker. Beat the bent deck out with a BFH keep on cutting.

It cuts water hoses and destroys box turtles like a champ.

Belts from India off Amazon are 2 for $23, blades are less than $40 a set.

Can change a belt in 5 minutes. None of that hookin the trailer hitch up to the Lincoln and takin it to ‘Daves Small Engine’ for $80 for a belt and ‘service’.

👍👍😂
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Riding mower - 07/17/20
I run a base model cheap azz Ariens lawn “tractor”. It does fine for my small 3/4ish acre mowing needs.

Pop has some fancy pants Ferris ZT mower. Thing has more horsepower than my commuter car and is made out of something like 1/4” plate steel. I’m not sure what it is, but it’s for damn sure a heavy beast. If you get going over your skill level, which isn’t hard to do, you’ll hit something and it’ll break. Not the mower, what ya hit. Lol.

My Ariens will rattle apart in the next few years. 10 years out of a $800 mower sounds fine to me.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Riding mower - 07/17/20
Originally Posted by slumlord
I put some donor John deer front wheels on my husqvarna 48” rider.

Took the front clip cover off the mower. Looks like something george Jones would borrow to drive to the liquor store.

I run over rocks and gravel, edge of the sidewalk ,sticks (1” is my limit), ran a tomato cage over other evening. That was a mthfker. Beat the bent deck out with a BFH keep on cutting.

It cuts water hoses and destroys box turtles like a champ.

Belts from India off Amazon are 2 for $23, blades are less than $40 a set.

Can change a belt in 5 minutes. None of that hookin the trailer hitch up to the Lincoln and takin it to ‘Daves Small Engine’ for $80 for a belt and ‘service’.

👍👍😂

lololololololol
© 24hourcampfire