Home
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Hughsnet - 07/17/20
Anyone here have Hughsnet? Do you like it?
Posted By: slumlord Re: Hughsnet - 07/17/20
Used it have it 15 years ago

Sucked ass

They lie, it’s slow as foooooooooooook, has data caps, God forbid you try to stream anything at 600k; you talk to Bangladesh sub-humanoids if/when it takes a shît. Which is about once a month. (Or was)

Then again, maybe it’s all buttercups and unicorn farts now.
Posted By: Traveler52 Re: Hughsnet - 07/17/20
I have never had it but know at least 6 friends who did. once the contract was over they all dumped it.
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: Hughsnet - 07/17/20
THX. I guess it's staying with the cable co.
then, if you have a few problems with slowness or other complaints

They’ll tell you....”oh you must not have the deh 7000 or whatever receiver, you should upgrade to our new one”

For a couple hundred dollars

And after 6-8 months of it still sucking goat balls

They say “ oh maybe you should upgrade to our small business access plan, higher speeds and more unicorn farts”

For a couple hundred dollars

which it sucks too.
Must be nice to have cable

I do everything with this little phone, it’s my hotspot for laptops in the home. It’s ALL we have for internet.
Posted By: Dutch Re: Hughsnet - 07/17/20
Rumor has it that Starlink is getting reasonably close to starting up ("mid 2020, https://www.reviews.org/internet-service/spacex-starlink-satellite-internet-review/"). They are signing up beta testers now, focusing on higher latitudes (https://www.starlink.com/).
Posted By: ribka Re: Hughsnet - 07/17/20
10 years .And its horrible with zero CS
Posted By: Springcove Re: Hughsnet - 07/17/20
They’re terrible
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: Hughsnet - 07/17/20

Originally Posted by slumlord
Must be nice to have cable

It is when it works.
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Hughsnet - 07/17/20

The problem with all the sat feed Internet services is that each antenna frequency will only support 24 or so customers, but do they stop selling when they hit that ... NNOOOooo...

The old Tech (past 5 years) was literally unusable.

The new tech has enough speed, but can’t make the density it costs to support enough people and pay for the system so they game on people “not using it” ... LOL.. TFF., and oversell it.
Posted By: 470Evans Re: Hughsnet - 07/17/20
It’s the only option at the ranch. Works ok but sux for streaming.
Posted By: Hawk_Driver Re: Hughsnet - 07/17/20
We had it in Tucson, sucked balls.
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: Hughsnet - 07/17/20
I have it and it's terrible. Fingers crossed for Starlink to not suck.
Posted By: cuznguido Re: Hughsnet - 07/17/20
Well the previous pessimistic users have given you all the negatives about hughes. Now let me, a long time user, give you all the positives:

ad infinitum
They used to (maybe still do) had a cockblock feature. More than 200mb in 24 hours and they shut you down. lol

Could only do bigger downloads after midnight. lmao

Fuggat sheeeitt
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Hughsnet - 07/17/20
Last house of ours was Back in the hills and hollers. Hughes was only option. Tech installed it, “this is the latest tech, it’s good now, no longer sucks”. After 3 days we called them to come get their stuff. Used cell phone as hotspots until we moved.
Posted By: hotsoup Re: Hughsnet - 07/17/20
i have hughes (for at least 15 years) as it is the only option out here on the farm where i live. it works ok for me, but i wish it was faster and would work properly when trying to stream movies. have 13 grandkids and about half have the newest iphones/etc. offered. they remind me daily how slow hughes is. if i lived where cable was offered, i'd dump hughes.
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: Hughsnet - 07/17/20
I like the chick in their TV commercial.
Posted By: Fanofthefortyone Re: Hughsnet - 07/17/20

Sucked ass

They lie, it’s slow as foooooooooooook, has data caps, God forbid you try to stream anything at 600k; you talk to Bangladesh sub-humanoids if/when it takes a shît. Which is about once a month. (Or was)

What he said!
Ronnie
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Hughsnet - 07/17/20
I had it, and it sucked big time. Got so tired of it, I dropped it 6 months before the contract was out. AT&T put up a new cell tower about 2 miles from me, and I got wireless internet through them, 10 times as much allowance as with Hughes, at half the cost. I wouldn't go back to Hughes even if that chick from the commercials did a lap dance for me.
Posted By: jmp300wsm Re: Hughsnet - 07/17/20
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
I like the chick in their TV commercial.

YEP she is hot. Guess their service is not.....
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: Hughsnet - 07/17/20
Originally Posted by Fanofthefortyone

Sucked ass

What he said!
Ronnie

Ditto.

It’s sucked giant ass for me, glad I’m rid of it.
Posted By: Blackbrush Re: Hughsnet - 07/17/20
IF you have AT&T cellular service at your site, get a hotspot and you'll be done.
Posted By: FishinHank Re: Hughsnet - 07/17/20
I went through the whole training to be an installer.

Phugg em.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Hughsnet - 07/17/20
Originally Posted by Blackbrush
IF you have AT&T cellular service at your site, get a hotspot and you'll be done.

As long as you adhere to 15GB of data per month. whistle
Posted By: bucktail Re: Hughsnet - 07/17/20
Is Viasat any good?
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Hughsnet - 07/17/20
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by Blackbrush

As long as you adhere to 15GB of data per month. whistle

I get 250 a month with my AT&T wireless. It’s a very small outside antenna that is aimed at the tower, with a box in the house. $39.95 a month. Hughes was double that.
© 24hourcampfire