Home
Posted By: SamOlson Timbren bump stop suspension? - 07/22/20
Anyone use this setup?

Couple local guys say it works great for heavy loads on these new gayed out pickups.

I'm skeptical.

Fricken phone, can't get the link up.
Seems gay.
Sammo, buy a 450/550 series and live a little. A350/3500 is a damned adequate camper puller. I bought a 4wd Chevy 4500, thinking about super singles on the rear and run military rims/tires. It's a beast for sure.
Buddy has a system on his GMC when packing his heavy ass cab over camper. He seems happy with it, and it was a very unstable ride before installation.
Yes they work great with no maintenance. The company Timbren is good to work with also. I had a new pick up in the same model of a previous year and I notice Timbren's changed the part number. I called them about it and they offered to send out a new pair of Timbren free of charge. They optimized the length for a better empty ride...
Jim, yeah, it just seems kinda gay.

Told the shop guy I wanted heavier springs and he said get this instead. Couple guys have them on Hydras and are happy.

I don't know man.

Jack, super singles have crossed my mind for our other pickup with duals. That F350 has stout springs and works just fine.
1Minute and MM, that matches up with what I heard. One guy said you want leave a gap when empty so that the factory springs soak up bumps. I guess it's a rough ride otherwise.
Like havin an extra leaf, but only when you need it.

Can't see any downside.
Sounds a little like a band aid.
I’d say airbags, but they ride like chit empty.
Your could install heavy springs and have it ride like sheet all the time.Timbren's work well on the trucks that have a little height in the rear. The trucks settle on to the Timbren at about level. The Ram and Chevy work the best. The older Fords with the saggy ass rear springs don't work very well. The Timbren is allways engaged and rough.
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman

If only there were some way or mechanism to soften them when empty... Too bad once you put air in, you can never get it out.
Posted By: EdM Re: Timbren bump stop suspension? - 07/22/20
A friend up here has them on a GM to handle his rather substantial Lance camper and is pleased.
Thanks for the replies. I'm gonna keep researching, not in a big hurry.

Maybe give them a try.
Originally Posted by LoadClear

If only there were some way or mechanism to soften them when empty... Too bad once you put air in, you can never get it out.

apparently air in a confined space increases in pressure as the space decreases. Hint smile

Like I said, they ride like chit when you’re empty. I ran them on my 3500 to handle my camper, they are great loaded especially with a in cab control.
Originally Posted by LoadClear

apparently air in a confined space increases in pressure as the space decreases. Hint smile

Like I said, they ride like chit when you’re empty. I ran them on my 3500 to handle my camper, they are great loaded especially with a in cab control.

Been running firestone bags in both my trucks over the past 22 years. When no pressure, no difference in ride.

I use Firestone Ride Rites in my Tacoma, and Tundra... Love them !!

I think they are more popular than other brands, and they have been around a LONG time.

Here is a link.

https://www.firestoneip.com/ride-rite/
Pro hint: when running airbags, if you notice a rough ride when empty, put some weight on the rear axle then deflate... never had to do it myself, but a buddy of mine did it and he said he noticed a difference.
I put a set of Timbrens on my 3500 Cummins. Best thing I’ve done to that pickup yet. My last two pickups had firestone air bags and the whole compressor setup to adjust on the go. I’ll never do that again! Timbrens take all of 20 minutes to install, no leaky lines to deal with, cheaper than air bags and just plain do the job..... if you can find anything gay about them after actually using them I’d be surprised.
I put them on my 11 f250. My 4 horse GN trailer flattens them like road kill. Im not impressed and plan to put on bags. I would not use them again.
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Anyone use this setup?

Couple local guys say it works great for heavy loads on these new gayed out pickups.

I'm skeptical.

I have had in on my 2016 Ram 2500 since new works great.
Put them on my ram 3500 They work great, no charge to the ride when empty, but greatly reduce squatting/eliminate squatting when pulling fifth wheel.
Timbrens work great Sam

I have them on my old Dodge Cummins 2500..........basically made it into a 1 ton

have a 350 gallon sprayer in the back a good deal of the summer.....filled up the pickup still sets level
I've been running them on my F-350 for a few years and have been very happy with them. Inactive without a load but work great as soon as you throw some weight in. Theyre especially nice when you tow the camper down to hunting camp beccause you don't have to mess with airbags or get the heck beat out of you while hunting. Ocassionally I'll grab a ton of wood pellets or other materials while in town without planning on it and I never have to think about adjusting or changing anything. I highly recommend them.
Never heard of these until now. Looked them up and for under $300, I'd say it's worth trying anyway.
I had them in a 1/2 ton that I had a lightweight (relatively) slide-in camper in. They helped with sway quite a bit I thought.
I put Timbren’s on my F350, I use it to haul a 4000 pound camper and they work very good. You won’t ever get leaky air bags or lines. Mine make no contact with the axel when the truck is unloaded so they really don’t affect the unloaded ride.
Huh. With all the success folks have had, I wonder if they sold me the wrong ones.
Anyone use this setup?

I'm skeptical.

I considered the timbrens and air bags, but went with spring steel and hte hellwig spring steel helper/leveler/whatever springs have worked great for me.

You can get different designs that do different things.

https://www.hellwigproducts.com/
Originally Posted by ironbender
Huh. With all the success folks have had, I wonder if they sold me the wrong ones.

could be , there are different weight ratings on them.........your rear end should not sag with the correct Timbrens
Originally Posted by sdgunslinger

could be , there are different weight ratings on them.........your rear end should not sag with the correct Timbrens

While looking out of curiosity for a pair of Timbrens for my F350 4x4 I noticed they made 3k and 8k capacity Timbrens.
https://www.etrailer.com/search/Timbrens
OI don't know if the spelling right. It's very common addition to 1 tons so the overloads catch sooner. I have a 8'10" camper on my '08 Ram, it does help the sway. But the big aftermarket rear sway bar helped even more. On Chevys and Dodges the empty ride worsens, not so much on Fords.
Put a set on my '16 F250 about a year and a half ago. Haul a large cabover camper and tow a four horse trailer. I'm sure there are better options, but when you factor in the price and ease of installation, they're a good solution. I'm happy with mine and would buy them again.
Well I just ordered a set of the 8k version.

$333 so if they don't hold up it's not the end of the world.

The bale bed weighs about 2000lbs, the bales are about 1600lbs(x2) so it would be around a 5200lb load on the pickup.

Thanks again for the replies.
I finally got these bolted on, maybe a month ago.

Haven't torture tested them yet but so far so good.

1 ton of tubs and the bed at a ton.

ghey.
Maybe Jim,

but it looks like they just might work for Sam's needs.
All this new schit these kids gotta buy for their pickups.
Sam
Any pics of original bump stops with that kind of weight?
Probably put some whore house lights under the dash next....with a Pioneer stereo from the coop and some new 6x9's.....
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Okay, boomer!

Ha ha!
Oh cuzzin' trust me I am skeptical. Think they might snap off?

Still might order heavier springs.

Just don't know if they will survive feeding season.
Maybe some spinners and a string of purple LEDs under the flatbed?

Okay, boomer!

Ha ha!

We were happy with aired up tires, a tank of gas and a second or even better....3rd cousin to take on a date.

Kids these days.....
Oh cuzzin' trust me I am skeptical. Think they might snap off?

Still might order heavier springs.

Just don't know if they will survive feeding season.

You will for sure know by next spring wont ya!

5 or 600 ton fed out over hay bottoms will be the test.
Here's an actual load...

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Wonder how squishy they are at -30F?

lol
How many cows will that load feed for a day?
Here's an actual load...

Wonder how squishy they are at -30F?

lol

Looks like they work!

I've decided my next F350 is going to be an F450. smile

Hell they are only a grand more..$$.
Geno, we try to give 'em about 25-30lbs of 'hay' per day. Feed more when it's cold or when they are in the third trimester.

Those bales weigh about 1500lbs apiece so they should feed 80-100 head of cows per day.
Probably some fancy non newtonian fluid in there.

Sam.....cut one open so's we can see inside.
I'da guessed 1400.

1200 is a heavy as our hay ever gets.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Looks like they work!

Barry, if you get a F450(or another F350) here is the dilemma.

The cab/chassis version come with heavier springs but they turn the engine hp down(about 100hp?).

The regular version with a box comes with the weaker springs but full hp.

Go figure.....

A buddy has a 2019 F450 that came with a box and he removed it and added a Hydra. I was looking at the springs last week and I think it had one more spring under it compared to this white F350 with the Tombrens.

Our old '11 F350 with duals came as a cab/chassis and it is hell for stout on the springs. Took the emissions off and turned the hp on it. Best of both worlds.

It's stupid how they set them up from the factory.
I'da guessed 1400.

1200 is a heavy as our hay ever gets.

Jim, we've made 'em to over a ton but that is too heavy!

Hay barley put up a touch wet pictured. Most of our bales are around 1400lbs.

Looks like they work!

The cab/chassis version come with heavier springs but they turn the engine hp down(about 100hp?).

Go figure.....

A buddy has a 2019 F450 that came with a box and he removed it and added a Hydra. I was looking at the springs last week and I think it had one more spring under it compared to this white F350 with the Tombrens.

Our old '11 F350 with duals came as a cab/chassis and it is hell for stout on the springs. Took the emissions off and turned the hp on it. Best of both worlds.

You’re welcome.

US EPA
That's it, pure g'vt stupidity.

If I had a 6.7 that is out of warranty the emissions would be coming off ASAP.
Slightly off topic, but it has been mentioned.

No idea what super singles means on pickups, but I have seen 19.5 p/u wheels.
These allow real truck tires to be fitted.
Pretty sure you wouldn't exceed their capacity, and sh would get great life.
No idea if they would provide good traction with an empty p/u.
Empty trucks don't get much.
For bigger trucks, mixed results. On the front end with a 12 foot snow plow they can't be beat. Put them on 3 Kenworth T900 on the rear, too unforgiving, the truck would spin out on any climbing turn, off they came. My service truck, 1 ton Dodge, was constantly over loaded and swayed badly because of the high center of gravity of welder, crane, air compressor. First I put on Firestone bags...it accentuated the roll on corners, the inside bag lifting the light side. Off they came. Installed Timbren biscuits, end of squirrelly cornering problem.
Thanks for the replies. I'm gonna keep researching, not in a big hurry.

Maybe give them a try.

I put extra leaves in the over loads and that works super

Looks like they work!

Go figure.....

You’re welcome.

US EPA

It's not really that at all.

The F350 I have now is that way. Because it's a cab chassis, it's classified by Ford as a "commercial vehicle", and the engine has a smaller, turned down turbo.

I asked the Ford Fleet manager why?

They said because fleet vehicle companies are the buyers 90% of the time. And the companies want the trucks to last longer. No hot rodding around by employees.

Fleet guy did say they would last longer, and that is the main reason.

That new 7.3 Ford gasser is the same way.... Less HP in the commercial vehicles. frown

I don't ever notice the lack of horses when driving or even pulling. It just bothers me it's that way.
Sam, here's an interesting article on that less HP stuff.

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/what-is-a-chassis-truck-and-how-is-it-different-from-a-pickup-truck/
Dillon, they stick 19.5's on the F450's.

I've heard they are expensive to replace, not sure about options.

They make a good 19.5 AT?

Flintlocke, they ride great on that SRW F350.

Bad on washboard but what isn't.

J, that is exactly what we should have done right off the bat. Ford mechanic and parts man talked me into the rubber stops.

The more I think about it the more they are gonna break off.

Barry, how many springs are under the bed of your current('18?) F350?
Dillon, they stick 19.5's on the F450's.

I've heard they are expensive to replace, not sure about options.

They make a good 19.5 AT?

Flintlocke, they ride great on that SRW F350.

Bad on washboard but what isn't.

J, that is exactly what we should have done right off the bat. Ford mechanic and parts man talked me into the rubber stops.

The more I think about it the more they are gonna break off.

Barry, how many springs are under the bed of your current('18?) F350?

I'd have to look. I'll take a pic. I know 2 tons won't even squat it..

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The F450's have 19.5's standard.
I bet it has a stack of 10/11 springs.

Which is how they all should be built.
(IMHO)
I bet it has a stack of 10/11 springs.

Which is how they all should be built.
(IMHO)

Agreed.

But the city boys would whine about the stiff ride on their King Ranch SRW F350 they take to Costco... grin
Fuuckin' bastards!
Have a set on my 3500 RAM. Reduces squatting pulling the Montana. Had them on a 2500 Ram before this truck. Work good.

Looks like they work!

Go figure.....

You’re welcome.

US EPA

It's not really that at all.

The F350 I have now is that way. Because it's a cab chassis, it's classified by Ford as a "commercial vehicle", and the engine has a smaller, turned down turbo.

I asked the Ford Fleet manager why?

They said because fleet vehicle companies are the buyers 90% of the time. And the companies want the trucks to last longer. No hot rodding around by employees.

Fleet guy did say they would last longer, and that is the main reason.

That new 7.3 Ford gasser is the same way.... Less HP in the commercial vehicles. frown

I don't ever notice the lack of horses when driving or even pulling. It just bothers me it's that way.

Thanks for that info and that link Barry.

So basically, not the buttheads in the gooberment, but the buttheads people have to work with.

And that economic thing of wanting a fleet vehicle to last longer.
© 24hourcampfire