Home
https://www.wcax.com/2020/07/30/36000-acre-adirondack-estate-for-sale/
New York State tax would drain your bank account on this one

the family of Mary Lou Whitney, who recently died, is asking for $180 million for the land.

Think I'll have to pass right now. Maybe if a stimulus check comes in.
I'm wondering if the state will purchase it and add it to the park, or if they will let it be sold so they can continue to collect taxes on it. Personally I'm hoping for the first option. There's some monster bucks, bruins and brookies on that piece!
I can't imagine anyone paying to live in NY.
Talk about a White Elephant. I wouldn't take it as a gift if I had to live there and couldn't ever sell it.
I'll bet it is some beautiful property. I hope it doesn't fall into the hands of developers.
I'd clear cut it and make my money back in a few years. laugh
Gorgeous place...... Where Teddy Roosevelt became president....
Originally Posted by Tyrone

Stick a Sam's Club and an outlet mall in there, maybe an Applebees and Olive Garden
Beautiful area and great hunting.

They really need to cut off the Hudson valley from Albany down and shove it into ocean. It’s a crime what they have done to upstate. And float Buffalo into the lake while they’re at it. FUAC
Oldelkhunter-- I'd guess that it would be almost impossible to develop this area. It's my understanding the Adirondack Park Agency rules the roost and very powerful. You would have to jump through hoops even to log timber there.
Originally Posted by Tyrone

Lol there’s some board feet there but if you take a dump in the woods the fish cops and APA will have you in chrome bracelets before you wipe.

They restrict what color roof you can have on your house.
Call bha, I'm sure they'd buy it for tge people!
I'm sure there are deer back in there that have never seen or smelled a human. And native brook trout that don't know what a hook is.
Originally Posted by wldthg
Oldelkhunter-- I'd guess that it would be almost impossible to develop this area. It's my understanding the Adirondack Park Agency rules the roost and very powerful. You would have to jump through hoops even to log timber there.

It would be tough to develop for sure. I love that area, it is special.
I spent the first 21 years of my life 20 min away from the Whitney park. If Jeff Bezos himself bought this place there’s no way a sams club, Walmart or amazon to go store gets built within 50 miles.
......... From what I've heard if it weren't for the Adirondack park being created so long ago then the whole region would today be an overdeveloped toilet.
I say stick built apartments and groid housing
180? I'm good for about an hour a year timeshare.
I work for the DEC as a Wildlands Manager overseeing several of the units in this area. Even if you could afford it, the taxes would drain you dry eventually. Plus APA is going to have say in what you do on your property. There is phenomenal fish and game opportunities in this area, though the hunting can be hard at times.
Originally Posted by 22250rem
......... From what I've heard if it weren't for the Adirondack park being created so long ago then the whole region would today be an overdeveloped toilet.

Holy [bleep] we dodged one there. The ADK could have been western NY.

That's correct. The Adirondack Park was originally created in 1885 to prevent further deforestation and destruction of the watersheds. Many of the watersheds within the region eventually drain downstate to NYC, and none of the powers-that-be wanted the waters of NYC to be compromised.
I hunted there in the adirondacks . to many woods not enough deer to be seen. even bear are real hard to find. easy to get lost, I did some nice compass work to get us back to camp
Originally Posted by SPQR70AD
I hunted there in the adirondacks . to many woods not enough deer to be seen. even bear are real hard to find. easy to get lost, I did some nice compass work to get us back to

Icamp

It was a few hours trip and expensive for me at the time to hunt even though I went a few times. The only deer I saw was at a check station and hanging in someones yard. That said I thought it was a beautiful place.

Does anyone know if they suppress forest fires there or let them burn ? I guess it depends on location of said fire. Seems like suppressing a fire would not be in the character of "Forever Wild".
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
I hunted there in the adirondacks . to many woods not enough deer to be seen. even bear are real hard to find. easy to get lost, I did some nice compass work to get us back to

Icamp

It was a few hours trip and expensive for me at the time to hunt even though I went a few times. The only deer I saw was at a check station and hanging in someones yard. That said I thought it was a beautiful place.

Does anyone know if they suppress forest fires there or let them burn ? I guess it depends on location of said fire. Seems like suppressing a fire would not be in the character of "Forever Wild".

They are suppressed.
Originally Posted by jmdriver

Holy [bleep] we dodged one there. The ADK could have been western NY.

LMAO the Au Sable could have been Love Canal!
Originally Posted by ClassyCanids
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Icamp

They are suppressed.

Thanks
Originally Posted by jmdriver
I spent the first 21 years of my life 20 min away from the Whitney park. If Jeff Bezos himself bought this place there’s no way a sams club, Walmart or amazon to go store gets built within 50 miles.

They’d have a Whole Foods and Sprouts instead.
1939 I was born in the North East corner of the Adirondack Mountains. Was raised on a little subsistence farm. Began hunting before 1950. Hunting, fishing, trapping was a part of our living. I've hunted, fished, trapped and snowmobiled hundreds if not thousands of miles of that wonderful territory. Never used a treestand until I was about 35. Still hunting, stalking, and tracking was our style. The 18,702 mi² of Adirondack Mountains always felt big to me. The 36,000 acre Whitney Estate was mostly posted and I have heard that Little Tupper Lake provided many access points. If you love the wilderness property of the Adirondacks the Whitney Estate has much to offer. I'd love to buy it but with a $180 million price tag my SS check will hardly cover it so I'll leave it available to you other guys.
Only 180 million!!?? I’ll kick in 360’million and take 2! (Said in my best Rodney Dangerfield/Caddy Shack voice).
my dad bought a summer home on schroon lake in 1961.i as 6 years old at the time.this lake is about 35 miles north of lake george.to people who have never been there it is absolute beauty and nature and solitude.he sold it in 1990.he was getting older and didnt like the increasing development.that region is the only region in eastern ny worth anything to me.i lived in the suburbs of new york city until 1980.it was a decent place to live.best friend still there in this town called new city.hes leaving next month and hates it for what it has become.calls it jew city.not because of the population of some jewish that can be tolerated but because of the filthy hasidic tribe that has bought up about a third of this town with the multimillions they make from the diamond district in nyc they own.they offer cash buy up all they can and fill all the homes with there herd..fugg that [bleep] state today.
This area is so wild and beautiful because the State and smart landowners like the Whitney's have protected it. I'm surprised to see "sportsmen?" here saying it should be clear cut and developed. Thankfully that is not possible. I suppose Yellowstone NP should be turned into a large Walmart warehouse too. Marylou Whitney married a man from Alaska in 1997 who was 40 years her junior. I'm sure he was in true love and now he's counting just how much. Marylou's late husband had that property in his family for years and she continued to keep it and care for it long after his death. Apparently, her gigolo husband just wants to cash out.
Originally Posted by cooper57m
This area is so wild and beautiful because the State and smart landowners like the Whitney's have protected it. I'm surprised to see "sportsmen?" here saying it should be clear cut and developed. Thankfully that is not possible. I suppose Yellowstone NP should be turned into a large Walmart warehouse too. Marylou Whitney married a man from Alaska in 1997 who was 40 years her junior. I'm sure he was in true love and now he's counting just how much. Marylou's late husband had that property in his family for years and she continued to keep it and care for it long after his death. Apparently, her gigolo husband just wants to cash out.

Unlike you, I'm not surprised that you don't understand.
© 24hourcampfire