Home
Posted By: TreeMutt SKS, bayonet or no? - 07/30/20
Concerning only a military issue SKS. No after-market add ons. As issued military weapon only,10 round box mag, stripper clips, etc.,

A hypothetical question; If it was your main survival weapon, etc., would you retain the bayonet, whether blade or spike, or would you remove it for lighter weight and better balance? Keep in mind that the bayonet is not readily or normally detachable....Thanks for any thoughts....Tree
Posted By: wabigoon Re: SKS, bayonet or no? - 07/30/20
Leave it on.
Posted By: StGeorger Re: SKS, bayonet or no? - 07/30/20
Keep the bayonet, you can stick it in the ground, put a tarp over it and have your own teepee shelter. Or use it to roast marshmallows.

Or, leave the bayonet, take the cannoli.

Finally, if you keep it and the window at the book depository is stuck, pry it open with the bayonet and then shoot for the melon.

Apologies in advance for the sarcasm! Seriously, I would keep it.
Posted By: slumlord Re: SKS, bayonet or no? - 07/30/20
I took mine of 30 yrs ago

Now I cannot find it
Posted By: ingwe Re: SKS, bayonet or no? - 07/30/20
Good for roasting rats over the fire...
Posted By: slumlord Re: SKS, bayonet or no? - 07/30/20
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Leave it on.

Post pics of your SKS

i’d love to see it, Im a big fan
Posted By: wabigoon Re: SKS, bayonet or no? - 07/30/20
I've read the bayonet was invented by single shot wild boar hunters,
Posted By: Dave_Skinner Re: SKS, bayonet or no? - 07/30/20
Depends on whether it shoots best off, folded or out. So that's an excuse for a trip to the range, you're welcome. At least sixty rounds for a good sample.
Originally Posted by TreeMutt
Concerning only a military issue SKS. No after-market add ons. As issued military weapon only,10 round box mag, stripper clips, etc.,

A hypothetical question; If it was your main survival weapon, etc., would you retain the bayonet, whether blade or spike, or would you remove it for lighter weight and better balance? Keep in mind that the bayonet is not readily or normally detachable....Thanks for any thoughts....Tree

It actually has some use as a monopod for shooting prone, but otherwise it's just extra weight. It all depends on whether you think having a built in monopod is sufficiently beneficial to justify keeping the extra weight on the gun.
If it's a collector's piece, keep it on, of course.
Posted By: OldmanoftheSea Re: SKS, bayonet or no? - 07/31/20
Good for offsetting barrel rise on extended...
Oh, you said ten round, sks...

Who has the "Nyet, Rifle is fine." Meme?
[Linked Image from i.kym-cdn.com]
Posted By: JTrapper73 Re: SKS, bayonet or no? - 07/31/20
I’d vote to keep it on. Mine has the triangular bayonet.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: SKS, bayonet or no? - 07/31/20
In SKSs I have; Russian, Chinese, Yugo, and Albanian.

With an SKS I can shoot about a 5" group with open sights.

After I glass bed, trigger job, turn off the gas system, handload 6mmPPC quality ammo in 7.62x39mm, butt length extender, and solidly mount a 40X scope..... still a 5" group.

But any old AR15 with quality handloads and a scope will shoot 1.1" groups for me.

What does it all mean?
SKS is a pile of junk. Get an AR15.
Posted By: stevelyn Re: SKS, bayonet or no? - 07/31/20
Keep it. You never know when you'll need to stick some bastid that deserves it.
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: SKS, bayonet or no? - 07/31/20
Originally Posted by Clarkm

After I glass bed, trigger job, turn off the gas system, handload 6mmPPC quality ammo in 7.62x39mm, butt length extender, and solidly mount a 40X scope..... still a 5" group.

But any old AR15 with quality handloads and a scope will shoot 1.1" groups for me.

What does it all mean?

Practice...you'll improve.
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: SKS, bayonet or no? - 07/31/20
A bayonet to the throat of your enemy is never a bad thing.
Posted By: 22250rem Re: SKS, bayonet or no? - 07/31/20
I got 3 SKS's. 2 Chinese & 1 Russian. They all still have the bayonets. If I had to use one as a survival tool it would be nice to still have the bayonet. They do make a decent monopod and pointy things can generally come in handy sometimes.
Posted By: Borchardt Re: SKS, bayonet or no? - 07/31/20
I have read the ATF has issues with adding bayonets to SKS's that don't have them and with taking them off SKS's that do have them. Make sense to a bureaucrat I guess.
Posted By: OldmanoftheSea Re: SKS, bayonet or no? - 07/31/20
Originally Posted by 22250rem
I got 3 SKS's. 2 Chinese & 1 Russian. They all still have the bayonets. If I had to use one as a survival tool it would be nice to still have the bayonet. They do make a decent monopod and pointy things can generally come in handy sometimes.

Nothing says "rioters stay away" like a guy with a surplus/trophy ar/ak/sks with a bayonet on the front porch....

Thanks TRH. That is one of my favorites. .
Posted By: lvmiker Re: SKS, bayonet or no? - 07/31/20
I guess when you shoot from prone using an SKS bayonet as a monopod you pound it into the ground w/ your Spetsnaz shovel for elevation corrections.

Even back in '69 only a broke dick VC used an SKS.

mike r
Posted By: Hotrod_Lincoln Re: SKS, bayonet or no? - 07/31/20
Bayonets have lots of uses- - - - -my great grandmother used to tell stories about the Union soldiers at Ft. Negley in Nashville using the ones on their 1858 Remington rifles to forage chickens, ducks, and small pigs from citizens' back yards.
Posted By: duck911 Re: SKS, bayonet or no? - 07/31/20
Leave it! The weight isn't enough to really interrupt the balance anyway (it's not like an SKS is a .204 Ruger).....

And it might be useful someday.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: SKS, bayonet or no? - 07/31/20
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: SKS, bayonet or no? - 07/31/20
Originally Posted by duck911
Leave it! The weight isn't enough to really interrupt the balance anyway (it's not like an SKS is a .204 Ruger).....

You could stir latte with it
Posted By: duck911 Re: SKS, bayonet or no? - 07/31/20
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Originally Posted by duck911

You could stir latte with it

I typically don't bring SKS's to high highfalutin' business dinners, but, if that's what you're into.....

Knock yourself out!
Posted By: local_dirt Re: SKS, bayonet or no? - 07/31/20
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

What does it all mean?

Practice...you'll improve.

Put your fingers and thumbs together to form a circle. Depending on the size of your hands, that circle is roughly 5 in. Now place that over the center of your chest cavity.

Tell me again how useless that rifle is?
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: SKS, bayonet or no? - 07/31/20
Originally Posted by Borchardt
I have read the ATF has issues with adding bayonets to SKS's that don't have them and with taking them off SKS's that do have them. Make sense to a bureaucrat I guess.

That's a fact. After a number of Chinese SKSs were imported and sold, some worthless company in CA marketed a pistol in that caliber. The ATF ruled that, because of the pistol (which I think went out of business in a few months), no Chinese SKSs could have bayonets unless you got them registered Class III. But the Russian SKSs were OK with bayonets. That didn't make sense then or now.

That was a long time ago and my memory is a bit murky, but at the time we all took our bayonets off our SKSs.

My SKS is long since sold, with the bayonet, although not attached. I didn't think much of the rifle. The trigger pull was awful and there are cheaper things to plink with.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: SKS, bayonet or no? - 07/31/20
An SKS without a bayonet is just another rifle.
Posted By: slumlord Re: SKS, bayonet or no? - 07/31/20
Oh no

I took mine off

Im going to hell, and jail
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: SKS, bayonet or no? - 07/31/20
My buddy bought an AK and a case of ammo, back when that could be done with 300 bucks.

I always shot everything from prone, when he handed me that AK, all I could see in that spike hanging off the barrel was a stabilization device. I jammed the bayonet into the ground and proceed to perforate paper plates at 300 yrs.

Beat the fug out of a backpack, or a crushed cowboy hat, or even my balled up fist, as a field ready stabilizer. I was not hitting the plate with every round, but a high enough percentage to be combat effective.
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: SKS, bayonet or no? - 07/31/20
Originally Posted by slumlord
Oh no

I took mine off

Im going to hell, and jail

Nope. The ruling was you could have it next to the rifle, just not on it. Stupid ruling.
Posted By: Happy_Camper Re: SKS, bayonet or no? - 07/31/20

All due respect to decenting opinions.
There may be those who use a bayonet for skinning small game, filleting fish, feathering tinder for fire starter, shaping wooden tools, tarp pegs, saplings for shelter, etc.
It's just me, but I have never considered a bayonet for anything other than a collectable. They do have much appeal for that and historical significance IMHO.

IF I were taking one rifle of choice that had a bayonet into a survival OR battle situation, I would leave the bayo at home. I would take one daily user and probably a more specialized , which could be a tiny swiss army knife, ..... whatever I predict would be most useful for my tasks. That's it. I have used every style of common blades for farm, field, recreation, shaving, wood work, battle, etc
Taught classes on most of these subjects.

Bayo is heavier than necessary and the wrong shape for most tasks. It also adds how many more inches to the barrel, naking it more cumbersome, slower to target, and likely to get hung up on forest vegetation. If it's for self defense after expected ammo runs dry, I would then consider getting training in a combat art right now, that can utilize any blades and make use of machetes for fighting. Advantage Combat would be the best IMHO.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: SKS, bayonet or no? - 07/31/20
About 20 years ago at the Puyallup gun show there were many guns for sale from a gun store where the owner went to prison for adding detachable magazines to SKS rifles.
Posted By: TreeMutt Re: SKS, bayonet or no? - 07/31/20
Great!!!...you guys never fail to make me laugh my A off!...I nearly busted a gut smile

In all seriousness. These SKS bayonets are good for one thing as intended and that's for sticking (mostly the wounded)

Ever try to sharpen a chromed blade? I don't know if the boys sharpened their blades for the short time the SKS was a front line weapon but probably the edge that folded into the stock smile

As an aside...The spike is a better "sticker" than the blade but folklore has it that you can't stop the bleeding from a wound caused by a cruciform (spike) bayonet . Not Geneva Convention approved.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: SKS, bayonet or no? - 07/31/20

What does it all mean?

I'm sure ammo had nothing to do with those differences. smirk
Originally Posted by Borchardt

Because they were imported as curios/relics based on having specific features. Typical stupid law that should only affect (if anyone) an importer if he violates it, but is used to scare regular folks who just want to modify their own personal property to their liking.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: SKS, bayonet or no? - 07/31/20
You can’t go wrong with steel.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: SKS, bayonet or no? - 07/31/20
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
[Linked Image from i.kym-cdn.com]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Posted By: Happy_Camper Re: SKS, bayonet or no? - 07/31/20
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper

All due respect to decenting opinions.
There may be those who use a bayonet for skinning small game, filleting fish, feathering tinder for fire starter, shaping wooden tools, tarp pegs, saplings for shelter, etc.
It's just me, but I have never considered a bayonet for anything other than a collectable. They do have much appeal for that and historical significance IMHO.

IF I were taking one rifle of choice that had a bayonet into a survival OR battle situation, I would leave the bayo at home. I would take one daily user and probably a more specialized , which could be a tiny swiss army knife, ..... whatever I predict would be most useful for my tasks. That's it. I have used every style of common blades for farm, field, recreation, shaving, wood work, battle, etc
Taught classes on most of these subjects.

Bayo is heavier than necessary and the wrong shape for most tasks. It also adds how many more inches to the barrel, naking it more cumbersome, slower to target, and likely to get hung up on forest vegetation. If it's for self defense after expected ammo runs dry, I would then consider getting training in a combat art right now, that can utilize any blades and make use of machetes for fighting. Advantage Combat would be the best IMHO.

^^^^^^
TreeMutt,

Thought that question was from some newbie city boy just going into the woods camping for the first time.
Now I see you were playing us.

Next time, I'll know better and say, Dumb question.
Don't waste my time.
Go read a book.
Posted By: SPQR70AD Re: SKS, bayonet or no? - 07/31/20
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus

What does it all mean?

I'm sure ammo had nothing to do with those differences. smirk

that guy aint to smart. SKS does better then a 5" group. even so that means the bullet land 2 inches from where you aimed. also SKS will shoot different groups with the bayo folded...extended and locked into place....and bayo taken off the rifle. find the best one. mosin nagants shoot better with the bayo on the rifle and that is how they were meant to be used
Posted By: Tyrone Re: SKS, bayonet or no? - 07/31/20
One time I stabbed a groundhog to death with an SKS bayonet.
Posted By: billhilly Re: SKS, bayonet or no? - 07/31/20
I use a Springfield 1873 with a bayonet for home defense. I figure the sight of my naked, hairy ass doing a bayonet charge out from a cloud of black powder smoke down the hallway would discourage any late night home invaders. Still trying to teach the o’l lady to play the bugle.
© 24hourcampfire