Home
Posted By: RockyRaab "Go" for splashdown - 08/02/20
The SpaceX Dragon capsule has been given a "Go" for reentry and splashdown today. They will land in the Gulf just off Pensacola, well clear of the mini-hurricane going up the eastern coast of Florida. Splashdown expected at 2:48 pm Eastern. NASA TV and SpaceX webcasts are live now.
Posted By: 22250rem Re: "Go" for splashdown - 08/02/20
Very interesting. Thanks for the heads up.
Posted By: dale06 Re: "Go" for splashdown - 08/02/20
Hoping for a safe landing.
Posted By: AKCHOPPER Re: "Go" for splashdown - 08/02/20
Forty five years since the last splash.
Posted By: Uncle_Alvah Re: "Go" for splashdown - 08/02/20
I'll be watching.
A splashdown seems a mite archaic albeit efficient. Especially considering they land the boosters within 3 feet of the coffee and donuts! cool
No need to re-invent the wheel I suppose.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: "Go" for splashdown - 08/02/20
The original SpaceX plan was to land the capsule just like the booster using rocket power, no parachutes. NASA did NOT like that at all. It was NASA that demanded they go back to the ocean splashdown method.
Posted By: Dutch Re: "Go" for splashdown - 08/02/20
Fingers, toes crossed for a safe return for all.

Originally Posted by RockyRaab
The original SpaceX plan was to land the capsule just like the booster using rocket power, no parachutes. NASA did NOT like that at all. It was NASA that demanded they go back to the ocean splashdown method.

Next generation, maybe? Seems like the proof of concept has been completed...
Posted By: OldmanoftheSea Re: "Go" for splashdown - 08/02/20
Discovery Channel.
Just over half an hour now until the actual re-entry process begins. The first thing is to jettison the "trunk" or lower equipment bay. Then they fire the de-orbit rockets.
Oh my god!
The guy in the front row took his masking to drink coffee.
But his coffee wasn't wearing a mask!

Back to the countdown..
Re-entry burn has started. Splashdown in about 50 minutes.
All normal at seperation
Posted By: Jerryv Re: "Go" for splashdown - 08/02/20
Watching on youtube with all the chat scrolling by on the right side. It is depressing how many morons there are with keyboards.

Jerry
Posted By: 22250rem Re: "Go" for splashdown - 08/02/20
Thanks again for the earlier heads up, Rocky..... I'm on it. Just jumping back & forth between here and spacex.
It's pretty amazing the difference in mission control at Space X vs the former NASA centers..

There is probably more computing power in a smart phone then the first several Apollo missions.

Chutes out.
Posted By: fgold767 Re: "Go" for splashdown - 08/02/20
Splashdown!
Posted By: ringworm Re: "Go" for splashdown - 08/02/20
Watch out for MEG!
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: "Go" for splashdown - 08/02/20
Why don't they open the door to the capsule? They have been on that ship for a long time, at least a half hour. Why the delay?
They detected very low levels of propellant vapors and had to wiat until they could be purged for safety.
Posted By: Joel/AK Re: "Go" for splashdown - 08/02/20
It was actually pretty cool
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: "Go" for splashdown - 08/02/20
Thanks, Rocky. I wasn't getting a clear report from the reporters on tv.
Posted By: Dutch Re: "Go" for splashdown - 08/02/20
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
They detected very low levels of propellant vapors and had to wiat until they could be purged for safety.

Is that inside the capsule? Are the astronauts on breathing apparatus from bottles?
Posted By: sse Re: "Go" for splashdown - 08/02/20
mericans r bad _ss
Dutch, no. The vapors were detected outside the capsule's crew space. They were in the equipment section in what you might think of as the "basement" between the heat shield and the sealed crew space. Running a purge of air through that area cleared it up.

If I recall my NASA safety briefings correctly, the two hypergolic propellant chemicals involved are Monomethyl Hydrazine and Nitrogen Tetraoxide. What they detected was a very small trace of N2O4 - actually below the dangerous level, but high enough to cause concern. So they stopped everything until it cleared up. The ground crew was in more danger than the astronauts, who were perfectly safe.

N2O4 is somewhat less toxic of the two. We were taught that MMH smells a bit like ammonia - but if there's enough of it to detect through your nose, you're already dead. Naturally, they did not allow us to sniff that in class.
Posted By: Taco2fiddy7 Re: "Go" for splashdown - 08/03/20
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Oh my god!
The guy in the front row took his masking to drink coffee.
But his coffee wasn't wearing a mask!

Back to the countdown..

You can do a lot when you own the company
Posted By: Stickfight Re: "Go" for splashdown - 08/03/20
I watched this a bit here and there and it was pretty cool. I had no idea so much of the process was automated, or controlled from the ground. It seemed like the guys in Dragon were mostly there to monitor and enjoy the ride.
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: "Go" for splashdown - 08/03/20
I wish that they would hammer all of those folks that crowded them while retrieving the craft.

They were kind of stupid.
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: "Go" for splashdown - 08/03/20
The whole splashdown was interesting, but the video quality was horrible throughout. Watched the NASA channel on Direct TV.
Didn't Musk ever hear of HD?

Was surprised at the close proximity of the obviously privately owned boats to the operation. Some with fishing poles.
Loved the one with the Trump flag prominently displayed.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: "Go" for splashdown - 08/03/20
I think the number of fishing craft surprised everybody. But as Gwen Shotwell said, it will be dealt with next time.
Posted By: sse Re: "Go" for splashdown - 08/03/20
rocketman
Posted By: Windfall Re: "Go" for splashdown - 08/03/20
Where was the Coast Guard in that recovery? Those were some pretty small private boats out there, so I can only assume that the landing site was way too close to shore. Bet that they won't do that again. It wouldn't make a pinch of difference how far out in the Gulf it is to the recovery ship. I suspect that those two smaller recovery fast boats were deployed from the larger recovery ship.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: "Go" for splashdown - 08/03/20
Originally Posted by sse
rocketman

© 24hourcampfire