Home
Posted By: R_H_Clark My new ride - 08/03/20
Drove to Cumming Georgia yesterday from Haleyville Alabama to pick up this 2006 Steel and carbon beauty. Steel frame where it counts and carbon where it helps,she weighs 18lbs and is absolutely an incredibly smooth fast ride. I am going to do a century soon on her. Yea,I'm crazy but loving it! 2 years ago I was a 360 lb dying man. Today I'm 170 lbs and faster and fitter than I have ever been in my life at 52 years young.

https://www.theflowmarketplace.com/listing/5cec149c0a9d20000025df80/lemond-croix-de-fer-bicycle

If anyone can help me get the actual pictures up instead of just the link,I would appreciate it a lot. Thanks.
Posted By: jdunham Re: My new ride - 08/03/20
Nice bike, I remember when they used to build them like that.
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: My new ride - 08/03/20
I dig it.
Posted By: memtb Re: My new ride - 08/03/20

Congratulations on your huge fitness improvement and your purchase of an awesome bike! Keep up the good work and enjoy that “Century” ride......you earned it! memtb
Posted By: deflave Re: My new ride - 08/03/20
That’s a great looking bicycle.
Posted By: TimZ Re: My new ride - 08/03/20
Nice classic bike...…...reminds me again of Greg Lemond's turkey hunting mishap......
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: My new ride - 08/03/20
Man, that is a beauty!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Old Ornery Re: My new ride - 08/03/20
Nice ride! Looks like you will be getting in some nice riding time.
Posted By: rte Re: My new ride - 08/03/20
Downtube shifters? Holy cow that's step back in time.

I don't believe I could use carbon cranks.There's a chance for too much flex.

It looks to be in great condition,congrats.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: My new ride - 08/03/20
Shoot I thought we were gonna see some pics of a redhead. MB
Posted By: Whiptail Re: My new ride - 08/03/20

Nice! Shifters on the downtube are easier to work on but I'm spoiled now having them on the brake levers.

Just be careful of cars.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: My new ride - 08/03/20
Where is the engine?
Posted By: RipSnort Re: My new ride - 08/03/20
If you paid somewhere in the neighborhood of $600 for that bike, it was a steal! Great deal on a fantastic road bike. You're not going to believe the acceleration when you get out out of the saddle and hammer the pedals.

RS
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: My new ride - 08/03/20
Originally Posted by RipSnort
If you paid somewhere in the neighborhood of $600 for that bike, it was a steal! Great deal on a fantastic road bike. You're not going to believe the acceleration when you get out out of the saddle and hammer the pedals.

RS

Yes sir! I paid $550 and got extra peddles and extra new brown leather bar tape,plus torque wrench for carbon parts. That's why I was willing to be on the road all day. I have been searching marketplace for months and found several in crap shape for hundreds more.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: My new ride - 08/03/20
Nice bike, now just keep it off the road and on the bike path.
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Nice bike, now just keep it off the road and on the bike path.

Guess I should have known there would be one soon.
Posted By: OldmanoftheSea Re: My new ride - 08/03/20
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
2 years ago I was a 360 lb dying man. Today I'm 170 lbs and faster and fitter than I have ever been in my life at 52 years young.

Congrats.
That is an achievement worth rewarding yourself for!
Posted By: Jerseyboy Re: My new ride - 08/03/20
Congrats on your health turnaround. Ride safely! A friend of mine was run over on a rural Utah road by a kid driving distracted doing 70 mph.
Posted By: 280shooter Re: My new ride - 08/03/20
Nice ride!
Posted By: rte Re: My new ride - 08/03/20
Yea,I'm crazy but loving it! 2 years ago I was a 360 lb dying man. Today I'm 170 lbs and faster and fitter than I have ever been in my life at 52 years young.

I read your story here.It must have been a difficult journey and one,I'm sure, you'll never have to take again.

Your story reminds me of this film.

Fat,Sick and Nearly Dead.

https://vimeo.com/147549662
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: My new ride - 08/03/20
I can feel the air rushing past my boobies just looking at it.
Posted By: Redneck Re: My new ride - 08/03/20
Don't forget the talcum powder and spandex....
Posted By: lvmiker Re: My new ride - 08/03/20
Nice bike, rewarding your own hard work is cool, ride carefully and beware of coal rollers.grin

mike r
Posted By: pal Re: My new ride - 08/03/20
...2 years ago I was a 360 lb dying man. Today I'm 170 lbs and faster and fitter than I have ever been in my life at 52 years young...

Nice bike and fantastic achievement.
Posted By: trplem Re: My new ride - 08/03/20
Congratulations on a seriously nice bit of kit from a fellow Lemond fan. I feel I should warn you-they are addictive!
Appreciate all the nice comments. I am not one of those arrogant cyclists that thinks THEY own the road. My usual ride is a 30 mile loop of low traffic county road starting at my driveway that I ride about daylight. I do my best to give way to traffic. I will just pull over and wait if I hear a big truck coming or if I can see a car behind me in time to get off the road safely. For me riding this bike is just like someone going out for a mourning jog. My century will most likely be on the Natchez Trace.Yea,the road is dangerous but so is living.I don't know anyone who made it out alive.

I also have other bikes that I ride on gravel only. Where I live,I can leave my front door and do 6 miles of paved county road and be in the Bankhead National Forrest. Once there.I can ride good dirt roads for 50 miles without ever doubling back.
Posted By: CCCC Re: My new ride - 08/03/20
First, congrats on your personal victories - the best stuff - and that is a really cool bike. (I need to spend more time on one - would trade you my 1966 Schwinn 3 speed skinny tire ride - plus quite a few bucks in your pocket.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: My new ride - 08/03/20
I've had several friends hit and one killed. It's part of riding on the road. There's risk in everything.
Posted By: Oakster Re: My new ride - 08/03/20
Drove to Cumming Georgia yesterday from Haleyville Alabama to pick up this 2006 Steel and carbon beauty. Steel frame where it counts and carbon where it helps,she weighs 18lbs and is absolutely an incredibly smooth fast ride. I am going to do a century soon on her. Yea,I'm crazy but loving it! 2 years ago I was a 360 lb dying man. Today I'm 170 lbs and faster and fitter than I have ever been in my life at 52 years young.

https://www.theflowmarketplace.com/listing/5cec149c0a9d20000025df80/lemond-croix-de-fer-bicycle

If anyone can help me get the actual pictures up instead of just the link,I would appreciate it a lot. Thanks.

Man, I need to follow your example. I am in the same boat.
Posted By: Old Ornery Re: My new ride - 08/03/20
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
I've had several friends hit and one killed. It's part of riding on the road. There's risk in everything.

Yep, one hombre I knew lived for riding. When he retired he was mushed dead three months later by some wench who was texting and driving.
Posted By: HuntnShoot Re: My new ride - 08/03/20
Wow, I like the looks of that Lemond. The old school shifters just seem to be in the right place. Quite a bargain at $550. I hope you enjoy it!

I had a good friend that had several Colnagos, and was a hardcore rider. I couldn't believe what he spent on his bikes.
Posted By: hanco Re: My new ride - 08/03/20
Glad you lost weight, your half the man you used to be.
Originally Posted by TimberRunner

Yea,it's funny sometimes how we view things. I mean honestly, how many people die in hunting or shooting related accidents,or hiking,or camping? Risk is just part of any living. You might even die sooner from laying around drinking beer and eating hot wings. LOL

We just got to do the best we can to mitigate the risks and still enjoy this short time we have. The worst thing for me would be to get to the end of my life and realize I never did the things I enjoy and wasted the largest part.
Posted By: pal Re: My new ride - 08/03/20
...The worst thing for me would be to get to the end of my life and realize I never did the things I enjoy and wasted the largest part.

It was precisely that line of thinking that preceded my buying this 21-year old bike. smile

Originally Posted by pal
...The worst thing for me would be to get to the end of my life and realize I never did the things I enjoy and wasted the largest part.

It was precisely that line of thinking that preceded my buying this 21-year old bike. smile

Dang,that's nice! I went to try out a Lansky with full Ultegra and ENVE fork. Guy wanted $1500 and it wasn't as smooth riding and shifting as this one I was blessed to buy for $550.
Posted By: bludog Re: My new ride - 08/03/20
Congrats RH, so happy for you, and proud. Great job keeping your weight off, and I wish you many happy and safe hours on that beautiful, and fast bike.
© 24hourcampfire