Home
Posted By: persiandog new career - 08/05/20
If you could change your career right now and
you could be anything without limitations
what would your dream job be?
Posted By: gregintenn Re: new career - 08/05/20
If I could make money at it without dealing with the government; farming.
Posted By: JakeBlues Re: new career - 08/05/20
Retiree.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: new career - 08/05/20
Veterinarian
Posted By: gunner500 Re: new career - 08/05/20
No change needed, already there.
Posted By: Gypsy_Wind Re: new career - 08/05/20
Plumber.
Posted By: EdM Re: new career - 08/05/20
Done here but would do it all over again if I was 23.
Posted By: slumlord Re: new career - 08/05/20
There’s an opening for a rapper now in chicago. Is yu ne good
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: new career - 08/05/20
Retired 14 years ago. I liked what I did at the time,
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: new career - 08/05/20
I'd love to own about a 50 unit crematorium about now.

I'll resist the urge though.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

I'll pay to run your gas line and spot you a couple three four 10K gallon tanks, lit em up RBB!
Originally Posted by gunner500

I'll pay to run your gas line and spot you a couple three four 10K gallon tanks, lit em up RBB!

Hell, neighbor has a damn good old 555 Ford back-hoe for sale, i'll bring that sombitch down too ; ]
Posted By: SuperCub Re: new career - 08/05/20
I always wanted to be a pilot, but not big commercial. That didn't happen.

Saying that, I switched careers at 40 yrs of age and went into NDE (industrial inspection, mostly radiography) in the local refinery and nuke plant. 20 years later I still really like my job. It pays very well, has great benefits and most the guys I work with are good guys. Just hit 60 last week. Get asked all the time when I am going to retire but I still like my job so putting in a couple more years will be easy, maybe longer.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: new career - 08/05/20
A hooker.
Posted By: KFWA Re: new career - 08/05/20
Working for a National Park or Coast Guard on the great lakes.

I'd want to be outside in an idyllic location

My career advice to my kids has been figure out where you want to live and then figure out how to live there. I just lived wherever the job has been and have wanted to be somewhere else my entire life.
Posted By: Paul39 Re: new career - 08/05/20
If I could turn the clock back I'd go to medical school. At the time I couldn't afford even undergraduate college, but knowing what I know now I'd find a way.

However, if I were a young person today there's no way I would want to be a doctor. Or a cop, but that's another matter. The world has changed.

Paul
Posted By: horse1 Re: new career - 08/05/20
Originally Posted by Esox357
Veterinarian

I've often thought that myself, dunno if I could deal with "cat-ladies" daily though.........
Posted By: local_dirt Re: new career - 08/05/20
Teaching kids how to fish.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: new career - 08/05/20
Real Estate Investor when I retire. Seen enough Dolts making money at it and they are not even good.
I recently saw an article about the suicide rate among veterinarians. That profession experiences stresses that most people aren't aware of.

Paul
Posted By: jimy Re: new career - 08/05/20
Originally Posted by local_dirt

There is an app for that !
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: new career - 08/05/20
Originally Posted by 12344mag
A hooker.

You’re soooo there already Paul.

LOL

😎
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: new career - 08/05/20
Originally Posted by Paul39
I recently saw an article about the suicide rate among veterinarians. That profession experiences stresses that most people aren't aware of.

Paul

More then Dentists?
Prairie Dog eradication service...😎
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Paul

More then Dentists?

I don't know about comparisons of specialties, but the suicide rate among all kinds of doctors is pretty high.
Posted By: 300MAG Re: new career - 08/05/20
Quality Control /Taste Tester for a strip club...………………….
Posted By: Beoceorl Re: new career - 08/05/20

Paul

More then Dentists?

Yeah, Dentists are always down in the mouth.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: new career - 08/05/20
Originally Posted by Beoceorl

Paul

More then Dentists?

Yeah, Dentists are always down in the mouth.
Our daughter finished dental school a couple months ago. Now she's starting a residency to get into specialized field.
Posted By: TheSOB Re: new career - 08/05/20
Bush Pilot
Posted By: Ghostinthemachine Re: new career - 08/05/20
I'd be a rancher in Colorado high country, and run hunting camps.
Posted By: Happy_Camper Re: new career - 08/05/20
Originally Posted by persiandog

Full time health consultations.
I need the inventory to provide nutritional supplements that have been effective remedies for brain damage, severe neck, back injuries, arthritis, sleep, and all types of challenges. That's going to take more capital than I originally estimated.

I've read how so many people here are suffering and I want to help provide information and the nutrients that the body requires for recovery.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: new career - 08/05/20
Originally Posted by 12344mag
A hooker.

Good looking women shouldnt live as unhappy as many do. They have the wherewithall to have fun every day.

They have half the worlds money and sit on all the good stuff.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: new career - 08/05/20
Ivanka Trumps husband.
Posted By: nemotheangler Re: new career - 08/05/20
Game Warden in Nevada. Give me a 4x4 truck that I don't have to maintain and some firearms and go drive around the Nevada outback, interacting with sportsmen and women. That's what I do in my freetime somewhat. Pay me for it.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: new career - 08/05/20
I’d want to do several things, starting with live-delivery ground fish commercial fisherman in Oregon. Use rod and reel with a live tank.

P
Posted By: slumlord Re: new career - 08/05/20
Teenage gynecological anesthesiologist

numb numb numb...numb

laugh
Posted By: Windfall Re: new career - 08/05/20
Outside industrial sales for a Fortune 500 company. Grossly overpaid for the least amount of education, low stress and the company picks up the tab for everything.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: new career - 08/05/20
Sock Puppet
Posted By: CashisKing Re: new career - 08/05/20
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Sock Puppet

Or a garden gnome.
Posted By: ChuckKY Re: new career - 08/05/20
Originally Posted by gregintenn
If I could make money at it without dealing with the government; farming.

The highest "earn" part of farming is the government part. I'm not sure you could actually farm anymore without the subsidy part of it. Corn is the same price per bushel as when I was a kid, tractors ain't. But I do understand your point, wish I could do it without the government also.
Posted By: Savage_Hunter Re: new career - 08/05/20
been a pharmacist for 33 years. Was a bi-vo missions minister then pastor for 20+ years.

If I could do it over again, I'd love to be a Biblical archeologist

That's today...... I rotate between that and sheepherder, chef, specialty woodworker, full-time military special forces.

I have a lot of different interests.
Posted By: ChuckKY Re: new career - 08/05/20
Sock Puppet

Or a garden gnome.

Same thing.
Posted By: DuxHateMe Re: new career - 08/05/20
If I could turn the clock back I'd go to medical school. At the time I couldn't afford even undergraduate college, but knowing what I know now I'd find a way.

However, if I were a young person today there's no way I would want to be a doctor. Or a cop, but that's another matter. The world has changed.

Paul

This is my 16th year in private practice......glad I chose the surgical specialty I did. I don't envy my colleagues that have no option but to be employed by hospital systems. Things have changed dramatically in the 24 years since I started residency.
Originally Posted by slumlord

numb numb numb...numb

laugh

I have the creeper van. We could make house calls.

😂😎
Posted By: persiandog Re: new career - 08/05/20
adult entertainment
Posted By: Mike_S Re: new career - 08/05/20
A “Sporting Man” like Doc Holliday without TB of course.
Posted By: RS308MX Re: new career - 08/05/20

People would be dying to meet you!
Posted By: DuxHateMe Re: new career - 08/05/20

numb numb numb...numb

laugh

Funny but almost every male medical student wants to be a gynecologist until they do the clinical rotation. You don't wanna know......although I like the parameters you added hahahaaaaaaaaa.
Posted By: flintlocke Re: new career - 08/05/20
I think there may be an opening for a city fire marshal in Beirut Lebanon.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: new career - 08/05/20
Freshwater marine construction or tugboat operator. Something that would get and keep me on the Great Lakes waterways.
Posted By: ingwe Re: new career - 08/05/20

A lotto winner
Posted By: windridge Re: new career - 08/05/20
I'd come out of retirement to be a Formula 1 driver.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: new career - 08/05/20
Originally Posted by jimy
Originally Posted by local_dirt

There is an app for that !

Sure there is.
Posted By: Utahunter Re: new career - 08/05/20
I turned down a Congressional appointment to the Naval Academy when I was 18. Have kicked myself ever since. A Naval officer would have been a great career.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: new career - 08/05/20
Minister, a good one.
Posted By: Taco2fiddy7 Re: new career - 08/05/20
I might have to, a furloughed airline pilot and who knows when things will turn around. Could be years
Posted By: bruinruin Re: new career - 08/05/20
Originally Posted by Utahunter
I turned down a Congressional appointment to the Naval Academy when I was 18. Have kicked myself ever since. A Naval officer would have been a great career.

Not nearly on the same level, but about 19 years ago, I was approached by a guy with a major utility company. After confirming that I was licensed, he said the utility company was looking for someone like me and was willing to skip the right applicant over the usual entry level position (meter reader) and into a 2nd level tech position.

I turned it down and later found out that he was the union steward. If I had taken the job, I would be less than 10 years from a good retirement, rather than being 51 years old with no retirement at this time.
Posted By: RicG Re: new career - 08/05/20
My daughter is a Vet. Has her own clinic and loves it (except for the euthanasia situations).
Posted By: rong Re: new career - 08/05/20
Originally Posted by Gypsy_Wind
Plumber.

Ha !! I don't have a dream job,but I have one I don't want a do over...
Posted By: Kingthing0307 Re: new career - 08/06/20
At 49, I’m learning to be a pilot. Don’t know what it may lead to but I have the time & money now to do it.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: new career - 08/06/20
After learning the cost of putting 4 kids through college while having a challenging and fun career I probably wouldn't change much. However, spending a life as a govt. hunter or mountain/ hunting guide has always seemed perfect to me. Making a living outdoors w/ out dealing w/ people would be awesome.grin

mike r
Posted By: stxhunter Re: new career - 08/06/20
military / fishing guide offshore.
Posted By: deflave Re: new career - 08/06/20
Defense attorney.
Posted By: Snootie Re: new career - 08/06/20
Originally Posted by TheSOB
Bush Pilot

X2
Posted By: Happy_Camper Re: new career - 08/06/20
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Minister, a good one.

A verse popped into my mind right after reading your post Wabigoon.

I tried to recall what book that was in, but couldn't.
I grabbed my Bible and opened it up and and guess what happened? No leafing through the books or scanning for it.
The Lord had me to open to the exact page and led my.eyes immediately to the exact verse that came to mind.

"This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work."

I Timothy 3:1
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: new career - 08/06/20
Wouldn't change anything.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: new career - 08/06/20
How about a Genie, I keep all the wishes. laugh
Posted By: tikkanut Re: new career - 08/06/20

Retired 9 yrs now......

suits me fine
Posted By: Oklahomahunter Re: new career - 08/06/20
Endodontist if it wasn’t for all the school necessary.
Posted By: Remsen Re: new career - 08/06/20
Priest.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: new career - 08/06/20
Originally Posted by Remsen
Priest.

bwaaaaaaahahahaha.

some days you're on it.

Family history in the Adirondack resorts?
Posted By: duck911 Re: new career - 08/06/20
Game Warden.

My family legacy is law enforcement and the outdoors, but my love of technology took me down the public safety/911 path.

It is recession proof, and pays very well in the public sector, so no regrets...

But I'd take a 50% salary reduction to nail poaching azzhats to the post at this point in my life.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: new career - 08/06/20
Seven years in retirement is the best job I've ever had. Get to hunt, fish, swap guns and do whatever else I like to do on my time schedule. Not punching a time clock nor dealing with rush hour traffic and winter driving suits me just fine.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: new career - 08/06/20
No f'ing idea.
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: new career - 08/06/20
Piano player in a high dollar whore house. I always wanted to be able to play music, and the scenery would just top it off.
Posted By: savage24 Re: new career - 08/06/20
An over the road truck driver. The way trucking was in the 70’s; not now.
Posted By: antlers Re: new career - 08/06/20
Bronnie Ware spent part of her career as an end of life nurse, providing palliative care to people at the end of their lives. She wrote a book about it, ‘The Top Five Regrets of the Dying - A Life Transformed by the Dearly Departing.’ She found that among dying men, their 2nd to the top regret was “I wish I hadn’t worked so hard.” She said this response came from every single male patient that she cared for. They missed their children’s youth and their partner’s companionship. All of the men she cared for deeply regretted spending so much of their lives on the treadmill of a work existence.
And the number 1 regret was “I wish I’d had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life other’s expected of me.”
Posted By: Sako76 Re: new career - 08/06/20
Marine Biologist, I already have the degree, no jobs available. I took a job with a Federal Environmental Agency as an investigator, great job, paid good with pension. I don't carry and have investigated a target who was convicted of double manslaughter and several organized crime family members, it has gotten sporty at times! Haven't gotten hurt yet, I retire in 5 months!
Posted By: CCCC Re: new career - 08/06/20
If you could change your career right now and you could be anything without limitations what would your dream job be?
Pretty much the same as I was able to do and especially with students - highly rewarding internally and professionally if not so much financially. But, second time around would hope to be smart enough to not invest time and effort trying to give leadership for the occasional unctuous, self-centered quasi-academics who think that their navels are the center of the universe.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: new career - 08/07/20
Originally Posted by Kingthing0307
At 49, I’m learning to be a pilot. Don’t know what it may lead to but I have the time & money now to do it.

Cool.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: new career - 08/07/20

I am kind of enjoying what I am doing now.

Should add that I changed jobs some months ago as I was bored with what I was doing.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: new career - 08/07/20
Originally Posted by Beaver10

numb numb numb...numb

laugh

I have the creeper van. We could make house calls.

😂😎

Beav's van.......

[Linked Image from external-content.duckduckgo.com]
Posted By: George_De_Vries_3rd Re: new career - 08/07/20

My career was very good and fulfilling; however the setting makes a big difference in lifestyle. My setting was a couple of small hospitals, then several, some of the coverage all by myself and then with a small group.

Call-back is the issue and I missed more of my kids growing up, evening time than I would choose to do now.

Contrast that with working in a big tertiary care hospital with anesthesia staff of, say twenty or more, so there is less frequency of call and more help on a daily basis.

Some of these kinds of things are not realized while you are in the midst of them and only realized in retrospect decades later. I have apologized to my two daughters.
Posted By: reivertom Re: new career - 08/07/20
I'd like to be retired and get a check for just having a heartbeat every month.......Oh wait, I am....
Posted By: 45_100 Re: new career - 08/07/20
I worked all my life to be able to do what I am doing right now. I would say I was successful.
Posted By: JRaw Re: new career - 08/07/20
Med school.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: new career - 08/07/20
I think we could find some customers for the 50 unit crematorium in the DC area when the time comes rockinbbar. I would some stacking.
© 24hourcampfire