Home
They are BAD TO THE BONE, not the Bone Collecter.

He made a good shot. Problem was he used mechanical broad heads. Maybe a light arrow too
I shoot muzzy fixed 3 blades indexed to the fletchings on the arrow. That would never happen with my set up
Hows it on sharks?
I shot muzzy's about 30 years ago too. That angle along the ribs can cause some broadhead to skip along the ribs. I hit a 9 point whitetail at 68 yards at that angle. It was the first time I'd shot a slick trick 4 blade 100g and it penetrated clear through to the opposite shoulder. Buck ran about 30 yards and dropped.

Bb
Looks like he's got a fixed blade head on that arrow to me.. Doesn't look like it "bounced off" to me either. More like it deflected/skidded along the ribs and left a long gash. Back when I bow hunted I used mechanical heads with no issues. Was shooting a Browning Boss Mantis @ 30" and 70 lbs. and had pass throughs and quick kills with 125 gr. Rocket steelheads every time.
Severe quartering away shot selection, with an expandable, is asking for trouble.

I shoot a two blade fixed and that would've been a dead deer.
Slick Tricks here. I absolutely love them.
Another vote for slick tricks

Hit a bump for a while and couldnt find them. Someone, maybe here sold me 12. So im good for a little bit
Slick Tricks are much better that Muzzy (I've used both). They have bigger thinker blades that won't bend and they can be resharpened.
A "Booner"....that was the problem. He used the wrong weapon. Someone should have told him that "Booners" are only killed with firearms.
Waddell was just plain late getting his bow pulled back. That deer was perfectly broadside just prior.

Too bad, what a great buck.
quartering away with an expandable head. not surprised. They work great...sometimes
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
A "Booner"....that was the problem. He used the wrong weapon. Someone should have told him that "Booners" are only killed with firearms.

Incorrect.
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

Incorrect.

RE:

Old guy needs help with reloads for 35REM thread.

hint: scope that looked as if dragged behind a truck šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚
I made a shot almost identical to that on the biggest mule deer buck I'd ever loosed an arrow at, with the same results. A real monster I'd stalked to within 30 yards of. He trned and the arrow hit him exactly like that. Fixed blade head. Just too steep. I got within 10 yards of the same buck later in the day and he had a bloody spot on his side but was fine.

Incorrect.

I'll let you argue with the voices in your head about it, man, or you can go down to the local barbershop with a razor and split some hairs. Either way, I don't give a fuuck.

Incorrect.

I'll let you argue with the voices in your head about it, man, or you can go down to the local barbershop with a razor and split some hairs. Either way, I don't give a fuuck.

Fair enough. šŸ˜€
I havenā€™t been to a barber shop in 8 mos
I haven't shot a steep angle quartering away.
Run 450gr arrows w CoC heads, and 17% FOC.
Not exactly light, not exactly heavy.

Not sure I'd run em on that shot.
Certainly wouldn't w a mech.
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Looks like he's got a fixed blade head on that arrow to me.. Doesn't look like it "bounced off" to me either. More like it deflected/skidded along the ribs and left a long gash. Back when I bow hunted I used mechanical heads with no issues. Was shooting a Browning Boss Mantis @ 30" and 70 lbs. and had pass throughs and quick kills with 125 gr. Rocket steelheads every time.

He uses T3 Mechanical from G5. 3 exposed blades that have a cam system that opens on contact.
Many years ago I had a Rocket Steelhead bounce off of the shoulder of a very respectable 6 point that was piebald. The shot was close to last light and I was confident I'd find it in the morning.

All I found was my arrow the next morning and the rubber band was only pushed up the shaft about 1/2 inch. I was sick.

I shoot G-5 Montecs now
Have had good performance from Spitfire mechanicals on broadside and quartering shots.
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Have had good performance from Spitfire mechanicals on broadside and quartering shots.

On Florida deer?
A heavy arrow, 550 grains or more and a two blade sharp coc, would have not glanced off of the buck. Ive shot a lot of bucks and does steep quartering away with recurves and long bows. Maybe pushing 180 fps if I was lucky.
Originally Posted by ribka
A heavy arrow, 550 grains or more and a two blade sharp coc, would have not glanced off of the buck. Ive shot a lot of bucks and does steep quartering away with recurves and long bows. Maybe pushing 180 fps if I was lucky.

That's pretty much exactly what I shoot.
Zwickey Eskimo!
Originally Posted by Pahntr760

He uses T3 Mechanical from G5. 3 exposed blades that have a cam system that opens on contact.

I see. I haven't kept up on things archery since I quit bow hunting 20 years ago. Couldn't get a good look at his head on this screen but it looked big with a lot of exposed blade for a mechanical. Still didn't "bounce off" like he said but rather deflected/skidded along the ribs.

I see. I haven't kept up on things archery since I quit bow hunting 20 years ago. Couldn't get a good look at his head on this screen but it looked big with a lot of exposed blade for a mechanical. Still didn't "bounce off" like he said but rather deflected/skidded along the ribs.

Exactly how I see it too. I don't see this as a broadhead issue, honestly.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Hows it on sharks?

Or woofs?
Jag is hell on bofe, I hear! wink

When the mechanical broad heads work they are a bit of a marvel.....but, failures are inevitable! A ā€œfixedā€ broad head (Muzzy) canā€™t fail......only the archer! memtb
Originally Posted by ROMAC
Many years ago I had a Rocket Steelhead bounce off of the shoulder of a very respectable 6 point that was piebald. The shot was close to last light and I was confident I'd find it in the morning.

All I found was my arrow the next morning and the rubber band was only pushed up the shaft about 1/2 inch. I was sick.

I shoot G-5 Montecs now
Well you shouldn't have shot him in the shoulder. A steelhead from the last deer I shot with my 70 lb. Boss Mantis is still buried in a tree that was on the far side of the deer. I found the steelhead tipped arrow that went through the deer before that 50 yards behind where it had been standing when I shot it from a makeshift ground blind. I don't think going through the deer slowed it down that much.
Five years ago I shot a nice bull and when the guide (the outfitter) and I walked up to him we found that on his right side, there was an spot about 10ā€ long that looked like the hair had been cut with scissors. At the forward end of that sliced hair was a shallow 1 1/2 - 2ā€ wound about 1/4ā€ - 1/2ā€ deep. ???

When we got back to the cabin we were talking about it with some of the other guides and hunters and the outfitterā€™s son asked if the wound on the bull was on the right side and if he had really big ā€œthirdsā€?

Turns out that the hunter that was guided by the outfitterā€™s son had hit a bull the week before during archery season on the right side with a mechanical broadhead. It started opening when it made contact with hair and, according to the outfitterā€™s son looked like it just bounced off.

Magnus Stingers have worked the best for me. Only problem is the aluminum ferrrel can get bent.

Incorrect.

Having different opinions is one thing, but posting wrong info and not owning it is BS.
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
I shoot muzzy fixed 3 blades indexed to the fletchings on the arrow. That would never happen with my set up

You got that right.
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I shot muzzy's about 30 years ago too. That angle along the ribs can cause some broadhead to skip along the ribs. I hit a 9 point whitetail at 68 yards at that angle. It was the first time I'd shot a slick trick 4 blade 100g and it penetrated clear through to the opposite shoulder. Buck ran about 30 yards and dropped.

Bb

Truth.
Originally Posted by slumlord

Selfie time!
Originally Posted by victoro
Slick Tricks are much better that Muzzy (I've used both). They have bigger thinker blades that won't bend and they can be resharpened.

GFY. wink

Ok. I admit, I would use them too, but i can find six packs of the old 90 grain 4 blace muzzies on E Bay for like cheap. The last 13point buck and belligerent bear that i dealt with made it about 18 steps.
Brothers last 2 bull elk, a 7x5 and 6x6 didnt fair much better.

He got me on them them and they may have saved my life with the upset bear that came for me.

Selfie time!

#cornrows
Originally Posted by TrueGrit

Incorrect.

Having different opinions is one thing, but posting wrong info and not owning it is BS.

https://www.boone-crockett.org/records-program-faq#RecordsMethod

Originally Posted by B&C FAQ
DOES BOONE AND CROCKETT CLUB ACCEPT TROPHIES TAKEN WITH A BOW OR ANY METHOD OTHER THAN A RIFLE?

Yes, our Records Program includes trophies taken by compound or recurve or longbow, crossbow, rifle, shotgun, hand gun, and muzzleloader, as well as picked-up or found trophies.
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

Selfie time!

#cornrows

Hahaha!

Some people really pull it off.
Slum be sporting cornrows and a wife beater.

Helps,him get the good seat at the Golden Corral
Originally Posted by victoro

Well, ok. Resharpenable. Thanks.
I was accosted by a retard the last time I was at Golden Corral.

Dont let them fool you....Walmart isn't the only employer of retards.

They wouldnā€™t bring you a basket of rolls?
quartering away with an expandable head. not surprised. They work great...sometimes

This^^^. I seen many on tv programs hit in the shoulder run off with maybe 3-4 inches of penetration. Watching that crap made a believer of me. I expect a shot like that to have my muzzy come out the other side. I expect a broadside on a bull elk to be a pass through.
Bull shiiiett

You canā€™t have retards employed in the same facility with soft serve ice cream.
Bull shiiiett

You canā€™t have retards employed in the same facility with soft serve ice cream.

Daā€™rontaeā€™s kids be putting hands in the chocolate fountain. Iā€™m done.

I like to put chicken wings in there.
Originally Posted by K1500
Zwickey Eskimo!

Iirc, ive seen the long points curle back if they hit a big bone. Dont remember if thats a long point head or not.
Pffft

Short ribs
The friggin manager had to come restrain the retard.

He was all lathered up about Richard boy running down the isle.

Richard wasn't running.......but he looked like Jessie Owens to that club footed Special Olympics dipschit.

Originally Posted by ironbender

Iirc, ive only kilt 3 woofs.
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Bull shiiiett

Daā€™rontaeā€™s kids be putting hands in the chocolate fountain. Iā€™m done.

I like to put chicken wings in there.

I just threw up a little bit.
Originally Posted by ironbender

Plus a Texas state record mule deer. whistle
Donā€™t like chocolate covered chicken wings?

2 worlds collide. Supper and dessert
Bull shiiiett

Bull schiett. You can even have retards posting on an archery thread. whistle
Take mamaā€™s purse in there lined with a gallon zip lock.

Get all dem wangs
Wings. Yep, reminds me of the first bow i ever got meat with. Guess i was about 16 when a friend of my dad loaned me one of his old Wing Red Wing Hunter recurves. Dayom, I hope his worthless son took care of that bow. I usec Microflight 11s iirc with Bear Razorheads.
Take mamaā€™s purse in there lined with a gallon zip lock.

Get all dem wangs

No frowns from the buffet warden?

The one the keeps the Mac and cheese full but never puts out white meat chicken ?
Originally Posted by jaguartx

This^^^. I seen many on tv programs hit in the shoulder run off with maybe 3-4 inches of penetration. Watching that crap made a believer of me. I expect a shot like that to have my muzzy come out the other side. I expect a broadside on a bull elk to be a pass through.

The more of these examples I read.....the more this debate sounds like a Burger vs. Barnes debate! grin memtb
I use the G5 Montec or Muzzy 4 blades . Never have a problem . Might try a mechanical if I needed to make loger shots .

They all shoot mechanicals on those shows. Thats the in thing. The more complicated they can make things the better and more expensive. That makes more money for the companies financing the hunter.

You're lucky they dont sic a bunch of them on you. Pretty sure they lose money on you. wink

OTOH, Its disgusting to see the fat poor hispanics eating there. Many have very little money but act like rich kings and end up leaving more food on their table than they eat.
Originally Posted by add
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

On Florida deer?

Couldnā€™t say. Iā€™ve yet to hunt deer in the Great State of Florida.
Originally Posted by K1500
Zwickey Eskimo!

Iirc, ive seen the long points curle back if they hit a big bone. Dont remember if thats a long point head or not.

They are pretty thick (triple) at the tip, but some folks use a file to put a chisel point on them.
Very telling penetration comparison here. Even with 6 blades the Slick Trick wins.
I have seen videos of fixed blades getting great penetration with shoulder hits on bull elk and IIRC one on a bull moose for quick kills. Plus, you dont have to worry about a mechanical catching on a tall weed and getting jerked down from a perfect flight.

Ive had elk standing in low marshy spots in mountain draws where only six or eight inches of their back was showing over those tall, lavendar flowers that look like giant daisies. No way to get a mechanical through those or even broom weed or Lovegrass to a bedded buck with a typical mechanical.

I've been shooting s.s. snuffers for quite a few years now on mulies and Elk for several years now with great successes. Shot a turkey a few years ago with a rage broadhead and watched it bounce off of him, pure waste of money.

They all shoot mechanicals on those shows. Thats the in thing. The more complicated they can make things the better and more expensive. That makes more money for the companies financing the hunter.
I don't think I've watched a hunting show in 20 years either. They tend to bore the piss outta me. I'll be using 100 grain Muzzy 3 blade crossbow heads on 20" bloodhunter arrows this year. They weigh 422 grains total and are leaving my crossbow at 355 fps.. I don't think they're going to be bouncing off deer.
+1
Originally Posted by Marshhawk
Slick Tricks here. I absolutely love them.
Man, you ought to see how far some of those whitetail bucks drop at the shot, sometimes dropping a foot between the release and arrival.

If i hadnt watched some good shows or videos I would never have known if I should take a shoulder shot or frontal on a bull.
I also would have never tried to call a deer in with a snort wheeze or buck roar.

I also never would have seen to mechanicals jerked down from perfect shots on big bucks.

Not having been a genius and innately born already knowing everything required me to do some studying. As it is, I've seen and learned things I wouldnt have in 3 lifetimes, like what I just learned with the Slick Trick test I just saw above or this frontal hit on a bull below. Plus I got to see a beautiful spot in the mountains I would have otherwise never have seen. I would have never seen golden eagles taking down wolves or other things, like the amazing Gene Wensel drilling whitetails running through timber. From watching it and practice i took my first bull with an arrow through the lungs at about 40 yards as it was running through timber.

I enjoyed doing most things that would help me become a better hunter.

I wish you would tell me how you know all those things.

Jag I've seen that vid before and it's one of the best kill shots ever caught on video.

However, it was a schit shot, very poor judgment, poorly executed. I don't think the kid was even trying for a frontal. In short, he got extremely lucky.

Great vid though.
I wouldnā€™t announce to the world that Iā€™m killing Muslims even if they deserve it.
My problem with hunting shows is because they're 90% hunting from stands or blinds, often over food plots or bait. I don't care for stand hunting, which is one of the reasons I quit bow hunting. I find bows to be a clumsy/awkward/unhandy PITA for still hunting/tracking.

That's pretty much exactly what I shoot.

X3. Using a single bevel 2 blade that I can resharpen and resharpen and so on. Running about 570 grains.
Originally Posted by ConradCA
I wouldnā€™t announce to the world that Iā€™m killing Muslims even if they deserve it.

I said I hunt with muzzys, not for them. wink
Very telling penetration comparison here. Even with 6 blades the Slick Trick wins.
I have seen videos of fixed blades getting great penetration with shoulder hits on bull elk and IIRC one on a bull moose for quick kills. Plus, you dont have to worry about a mechanical catching on a tall weed and getting jerked down from a perfect flight.

Ive had elk standing in low marshy spots in mountain draws where only six or eight inches of their back was showing over those tall, lavendar flowers that look like giant daisies. No way to get a mechanical through those or even broom weed or Lovegrass to a bedded buck with a typical mechanical.

Penetration tests have their place. Problem is, animals aren't gel, or cardboard, or layered foam. There are bones involved. I probably spent 10 hours already this summer tuning fixed blade broadheads. Once I tune one, it gets set aside and resharpened.

Eastern tenderfeet are funny.

Wrong, I have an elk, 2 whitetails a lion and a bear that were archery kills and are in the B&C book.
4 blade Muzzy for me too Jag.

I shot one through two hogs that lined up and the arrow stopped in the heart of the third pig behind them. Killed all 3 graveyard dead.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

I shot one through two hogs that lined up and the arrow stopped in the heart of the third pig behind them. Killed all 3 graveyard dead.

What was the rest of the setup?
Originally Posted by callnum

Wrong, I have an elk, 2 whitetails a lion and a bear that were archery kills and are in the B&C book.

How much did they cost you?

All right, Neal. Giving me something to shoot for.
Originally Posted by callnum

How much did they cost you?

Public land, DIY

Eastern tenderfeet pay to hunt
Ok. Gifted.

We luv all your huntin pics and other lying BS.

Really?
Originally Posted by dassa

Really?

I think Hunt was joking.

Badass
Jag I've seen that vid before and it's one of the best kill shots ever caught on video.

However, it was a schit shot, very poor judgment, poorly executed. I don't think the kid was even trying for a frontal. In short, he got extremely lucky.

Great vid though.

Yep, he got a neck carotid or jugular and im surprised the bull didnt dodge resulting in a bad hit, Ghost. You might do that with a big northern whitetail if its not onnalert, but i dont think you can get that done with a little, real quick southern deer.,
What would MCH do/recommend?
Mch?
Country Boys Outdoors showed a repeat of the following video advert today where big boy hit the big velvet whitetail in the shoulder with an expandable. He got 4-5 inches of penetration and was understandably happy when they luckily found the deer the next day stiff as a board and covered in flies.

Originally Posted by Colorado1135

Same.
Hey calnum ? How in the He11 do you get archery kills in B&C just curious

Great vid though.

Yep, he got a neck carotid or jugular and im surprised the bull didnt dodge resulting in a bad hit, Ghost. You might do that with a big northern whitetail if its not onnalert, but i dont think you can get that done with a little, real quick southern deer.,

The show mentioned above is scheduled to play again Fri 4:30 AM Eastern if any want to record and see a near perfect shot result in a ruined deer.
Originally Posted by crittrgittr

Im betting hers were gifted from a relative.
Originally Posted by jeeper

Magnus Stingers have worked the best for me. Only problem is the aluminum ferrrel can get bent.

Yes, they should do a steel ferrule.
Got 3 heads to run...........

G5 Striker 125 regular (non magnum)
Cutthroat 125
And Montec 125 (keep one in quiver for a yote or chuck- not really a fan of 60 degree blade angle)
Originally Posted by hookeye

Great vid though.

Fontal archery shots on elk are a no go

Think it's just a higher score to get in, equip doesn't matter (as long as done by fair chase rules).
Typical WT is 125 min for P&Y, and 170 for B&C.

Big damn difference.
Unreal. The next show today on Sportsmans Ch was The Bearded Buck and showed the same thing. It took about 8 of them to find the buck stiff as a board over 15 hours later after a shallow shoulder hit. Unreal.
Originally Posted by hookeye

Think it's just a higher score to get in, equip doesn't matter (as long as done by fair chase rules).
Typical WT is 125 min for P&Y, and 170 for B&C.

Big damn difference.

B&C takes any legal kill or even pickups. Call them and they will send papers to be filled in by a qualified scorer. They give info on finding local certified B an C scorers.
Got a B&C scorer not far away.
He did my avatar deer, split brow cost me 5 1/2".
Net was 166 and change, damnit.
Unreal. The next show today on Sportsmans Ch was The Bearded Buck and showed the same thing. It took about 8 of them to find the buck stiff as a board over 15 hours later after a shallow shoulder hit. Unreal.

But they found it.
© 24hourcampfire