Home
Posted By: Travis13 Trucks? 7.3 Ford? - 08/09/20
I don't know what to say. I have been looking at trucks for a long time and just can't pull the trigger with these prices. Used trucks with 20k-30k miles are about the same price as brand new ones. Before I spend $40k on a brand new 1/2 ton, I just might bite the bullet and go ahead and get a 3/4 ton. One of the new F-250s with the 7.3 can be had for about $50k. Does anyone foresee these prices going down? I'm sure they are only going up from here, so my theory is to buy a new one and drive the damn thing until the wheels fall off, and then replace the wheels.
Posted By: viking Re: Trucks? 7.3 Ford? - 08/09/20
Buy a tundra.
Posted By: Travis13 Re: Trucks? 7.3 Ford? - 08/09/20
Originally Posted by viking
Buy a tundra.

My dad has one, great truck! Around here they are $45k for a SR5 Crewmax 4x4
Posted By: coobie Re: Trucks? 7.3 Ford? - 08/09/20
Originally Posted by Travis13
Buy a tundra.

Tundra is NO 3/4 ton truck.Buy the f-250..
Posted By: RJM Re: Trucks? 7.3 Ford? - 08/09/20
I've had two Ford F-250s both bought used. First was a 96 purchased in 02 with 165K on it...7.3 motor. Sold it to a friend at 309K. Talked with him the other day and it now has 365K. He said he just had all the seals done...

Second and still driving is a 06 bought in 12 with 94K on it...just turned 215K and had the oil and EGR coolers replaced... No other issues with the motor...

If you don't mind driving something for a LONG time I would go new if you can swing it and keep everything as updated as possible especially the body if you live in a northern salt-zone. I have my body oiled with clean hydraulic fluid every year and have zero rust issues...

Bob
Originally Posted by RJM
I've had two Ford F-250s both bought used. First was a 96 purchased in 02 with 165K on it...7.3 motor. Sold it to a friend at 309K. Talked with him the other day and it now has 365K. He said he just had all the seals done...

Second and still driving is a 06 bought in 12 with 94K on it...just turned 215K and had the oil and EGR coolers replaced... No other issues with the motor...

If you don't mind driving something for a LONG time I would go new if you can swing it and keep everything as updated as possible especially the body if you live in a northern salt-zone. I have my body oiled with clean hydraulic fluid every year and have zero rust issues...

Bob

I'm in Mid Tennessee
Posted By: Rick n Tenn Re: Trucks? 7.3 Ford? - 08/09/20
I think you can buy new cheaper than used with the incentives and special interest rates . Even if you have cash might look at the financing close to 0%
Posted By: acy Re: Trucks? 7.3 Ford? - 08/09/20
Originally Posted by RJM

Bob

Bob, can you expand a bit on the hydraulic fluid treatment. Is it a business that does that for you? Sounds interesting. I wash the underside of my 2010 truck regularly during the winter, but am still concerned about salt. I'd like to get at least another 10 years out of my truck. Thanks, Al
Posted By: Walter_Sobchak Re: Trucks? 7.3 Ford? - 08/09/20
I like your plan on buying a new or newish one and driving it until it quits. Only way to come out on vehicles that I can figure.

Are you looking to tow heavy? My current company truck is a ‘20 F250 with 6.2 gas engine and 6 speed auto. It drives out and tows moderate loads well. Wouldn’t hook it up to a tandem dual gooseneck grossing 15-20k but it will pull 5-10k loads just fine down here in Texas. It does ride rougher than a half ton will, as will any 3/4-1 ton pickup that I know of.
Originally Posted by Walter_Sobchak
I like your plan on buying a new or newish one and driving it until it quits. Only way to come out on vehicles that I can figure.

Are you looking to tow heavy? My current company truck is a ‘20 F250 with 6.2 gas engine and 6 speed auto. It drives out and tows moderate loads well. Wouldn’t hook it up to a tandem dual gooseneck grossing 15-20k but it will pull 5-10k loads just fine down here in Texas. It does ride rougher than a half ton will, as will any 3/4-1 ton pickup that I know of.

I don’t own a camper, but I do own a farm with a few tractors. Never needed to haul them, and a camper isn’t out of the question. My gut say 3/4 ton over 1/2 ton
Anyone have any experience with the new 7.3? I hate being a guinea pig, I just don’t see myself needing a modern diesel truck. Although I bet a new Powerstoke, etc would pull like hell
Posted By: xarcher Re: Trucks? 7.3 Ford? - 08/09/20
Bought an F350 SRW with 7.3 back in March. I Will tow a 5th wheel trailer on occasion but 95% of miles will be no towing. Given the low utilization for towing, a diesel was crossed off the list along with the 10,000 dollar up charge. It will comfortably tow what I need, except I might have to take my time pulling the trailer up a mountain.
But to answer your question, I’ve had no issues with it and you should not be reluctant to go with the 7.2.
I am also planning on getting 15+ years out of it just like my last truck which is why I bought a new one.
YMMV
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Trucks? 7.3 Ford? - 08/09/20
If your concerned about $$$$ stay with the proven 6.2 and 6 speed. The 7.3 and 10 speed is about a $2K option. Even though the 7.3 seems to be a good engine its still only 1 year old. It takes awhile to work out the bugs in any new engine. Some defects will not show them self for many thousands of miles.
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Trucks? 7.3 Ford? - 08/09/20
Originally Posted by coobie
Buy a tundra.

Exactly. My 2013 sagged like crazy with just 800 pounds in the bed or when towing my 5,000 pound boat.
The Tundra is more like a car than it is a truck.
Get a 3/4 ton.

So much more versatile than a 1/2 ton.
Posted By: 2five7 Re: Trucks? 7.3 Ford? - 08/09/20
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Trucks? 7.3 Ford? - 08/09/20
Farm equals at least a 3/4 ton
Posted By: model70man Re: Trucks? 7.3 Ford? - 08/09/20
Originally Posted by acy
Originally Posted by RJM

Bob

Bob, can you expand a bit on the hydraulic fluid treatment. Is it a business that does that for you? Sounds interesting. I wash the underside of my 2010 truck regularly during the winter, but am still
concerned about salt. I'd like to get at least another 10 years out of my truck. Thanks, Al

I would like to know more about the hydraulic fluid treatment also. I have thought about that before but I have no practical way to do it. It sounds like a great idea.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Trucks? 7.3 Ford? - 08/09/20
Anyone have any experience with the new 7.3? I hate being a guinea pig, I just don’t see myself needing a modern diesel truck. Although I bet a new Powerstoke, etc would pull like hell

I like that engine... The new 7.3 gas one.

In fact, I have been mildly considering getting one. And I have been very happy with my F350 6.7 diesel. Best pickup I've ever owned.

But, I would trade it it for a new F450 with the 7.3 gas engine.
Posted By: Walter_Sobchak Re: Trucks? 7.3 Ford? - 08/09/20
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Get a 3/4 ton.

So much more versatile than a 1/2 ton.

This is true. My brother owns a tundra, I have a Chevy 1500 z71 Grocery getter. The Toyota is tougher than the Chevy but neither are up to towing much more than a Polaris ranger on a 16’ utility trailer or a small bass boat. If tractor or mid to large sized camper towing are real possibilities I’d go for the 3/4 ton.
Posted By: deadlift_dude Re: Trucks? 7.3 Ford? - 08/09/20
Cheapest I was able to spec out a F250 or F350 4-door, 4wd with the 7.3L gasser was in the neighborhood of $45k. That is a base work truck with vinyl, the way I like it.
Posted By: Travis13 Re: Trucks? 7.3 Ford? - 08/10/20
Thanks for all the replies guys. The 6.2 is definitely an option.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Trucks? 7.3 Ford? - 08/10/20
I have a neighbor with the 7.3 in a 3/4 ton. He likes it a lot. Fuel mileage isn't noticeably worse than the 6.2 and by all accounts it is a pulling machine coming close to Fords diesel engines.

I'm currently driving a 2014 F150 4X4 Supercrew and am strongly considering a F250 next time around. I don't need the ability to tow or haul anything my current truck won't handle, but having the option in the future won't hurt. I could be happy with the 6.2 with 3.73 gears and used F250's so equipped are usually cheaper than F150's.

I have 33" E rated tires on my 1/2 ton and with that combo I get no better fuel mileage than I'd get with the 6.2 and the same tires that come from the factory on 3/4 tons. I'm not really seeing any negatives for me to go up to a 3/4 ton.
Posted By: smarquez Re: Trucks? 7.3 Ford? - 08/10/20
Check in at Fordtrucks.com. There are lots of people that chose the 7.3 over the diesel because their towing demands don't call for a diesel. Many of the are previous diesel owners. There is lots of talk about the 7.3 and 10 speed trans.
Posted By: Mac84 Re: Trucks? 7.3 Ford? - 08/10/20
When i finally buy a new truck it’s going to be the 7.3. My diesel demands have fallen considerably over the past few years
Posted By: RJL53 Re: Trucks? 7.3 Ford? - 08/10/20
Does anyone foresee these prices going down?

Not until EVERYONE stops buying the damn things which I don't see happening any time soon. But there will come a time when people simply cannot afford the ridiculous prices any longer. I bet the insurance and tag fees aren't all that cheap on them either.
Posted By: Mac84 Re: Trucks? 7.3 Ford? - 08/10/20
I bought my 6.0 F350 back in 2006. Still going strong and I’m hoping for a few more years out of her. Bed fooor is shot and rust is starting to creep through above the wheel wells and rocker panels but it still goes like hell
Posted By: MM879 Re: Trucks? 7.3 Ford? - 08/10/20
A related comment. I pull heavy with a RAM 6.4L 2500 4:10 axle. It is a beast. Gas is not a bad way to go.
Posted By: Hiaring8 Re: Trucks? 7.3 Ford? - 08/10/20
Originally Posted by MM879
A related comment. I pull heavy with a RAM 6.4L 2500 4:10 axle. It is a beast. Gas is not a bad way to go.

I further the suggestion of looking at a new Ram. I have a 2019 tradesman 6.4, 8 speed and 4:10 gears...It pulls like a beast. I can pull my 9k toy hauler around like its not even back there. Also, you can get these trucks full of options. Mine has nice stitched cloth seats, 8.4" touchscreen with blue tooth, upgraded instrument panel, backup camera, push button 4 wheel drive, tow package, running boards, and bed liner and was right at 38k out the door.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Trucks? 7.3 Ford? - 08/10/20
Some may find it hard to believe that the gutless wonder has been towing 15k lbs all morning, sometimes even at 65 mph. It has a 7.3 and a 4R100 automatic transmission. My 20 year old dinosaur F250 4x4 can still gets the job done. I can't understand the new truck allure, but I'm sure glad that people keep buying them.
Posted By: RDW Re: Trucks? 7.3 Ford? - 08/10/20
My 99 24V-ISB had 235/460 and pulled like a beast totally stock.

The 7.3 is 430/475 so it should do the job just fine.
Posted By: MM879 Re: Trucks? 7.3 Ford? - 08/10/20
Originally Posted by Hiaring8
Originally Posted by MM879

I further the suggestion of looking at a new Ram. I have a 2019 tradesman 6.4, 8 speed and 4:10 gears...It pulls like a beast. I can pull my 9k toy hauler around like its not even back there. Also, you can get these trucks full of options. Mine has nice stitched cloth seats, 8.4" touchscreen with blue tooth, upgraded instrument panel, backup camera, push button 4 wheel drive, tow package, running boards, and bed liner and was right at 38k out the door.

Mine is an older truck, 2017 with the six speed. It is surprising how much the 4:10 axle improves the overall vehicle. I can find a sweet spot towing any time. Pulling at 65mph 2600rpm is peaceful. 3500rpm on tuff hills.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Trucks? 7.3 Ford? - 08/10/20
Originally Posted by coobie
Buy a tundra.

I’ve got a 2020 Tundra and a 2006 F-250. I fully agree. The Tundra is awesome for just running around with a cooler in the back and some fishing poles.

Comparing to my F-250 though, it has zero muscle. I kept the Ford for a backup truck and for when towing was required. If forced to only have one, I’d have got a newer Super Duty.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Trucks? 7.3 Ford? - 08/10/20
Originally Posted by smarquez
Check in at Fordtrucks.com. There are lots of people that chose the 7.3 over the diesel because their towing demands don't call for a diesel. Many of the are previous diesel owners. There is lots of talk about the 7.3 and 10 speed trans.

That 7.3 will pull whatever the 6.7 diesel will, in practical situations.
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Trucks? 7.3 Ford? - 08/10/20
Originally Posted by RJL53
Does anyone foresee these prices going down?

Not until EVERYONE stops buying the damn things which I don't see happening any time soon. But there will come a time when people simply cannot afford the ridiculous prices any longer. I bet the insurance and tag fees aren't all that cheap on them either.

True, the fees and insurance are ridiculous. I pay $29 a year for tags, no inspections or emission's testing needed. Insurance cost me $260 every six months. Truck is a 2019 Lariat.
Regardless if you go with the 6.2 or 7.3 IMO choose the 4:30 gearing. My 2019 is a 6.2 with 4:30's and I love it. Much better at towing than my old 2002 7.3 diesel was. The 4:30's really wakes up this motor and even at 70 mph I am only turning 2300 rpms. I average almost 16 on a trip and high 13's to 14 around town. Truck is a 2019 CC 4x4 with the short bed.
Posted By: OldGrayWolf Re: Trucks? 7.3 Ford? - 08/10/20
For $45k, I bought a ‘19 Ram 3500 SRW Tradesman Crew cab 4x4 with the Cummins. Truck I always wanted, cloth seats, rubber floor, set up six ways from Sunday for towing. 8’ bed. Puck system for quick detach fifth wheel and gooseneck hitches, Class 5 bumper hitch, integrated trailer brake controller, 7 and 4 pin hookups on bumper and in bed, power everything, and a bunch of accessory terminals for connecting electrical accessories with buttons on the dash to turn them on or off. 900 ft. lbs. of torque. 22-23 mpg driving around town and to and from. 26-28 on longer trips using tell lanes or interstate. 3.73 rear end. Get between 12 and 15 mpg pulling trailers, depending on weight and wind resistance. 34 ft. 5th wheel weighs 10k empty, I get about twelve pulling it. Dump trailer loaded weight 14k gets me around 12 also. With a lighter load, running about 6k, I get 15. Best ruck I have ever owned, so far. Gets almost as good fuel mileage on trips as my wife’s Impala, and I can walk upright when I get out of it after a few hundred miles.
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Trucks? 7.3 Ford? - 08/10/20
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Regardless if you go with the 6.2 or 7.3 IMO choose the 4:30 gearing. My 2019 is a 6.2 with 4:30's and I love it. Much better at towing than my old 2002 7.3 diesel was. The 4:30's really wakes up this motor and even at 70 mph I am only turning 2300 rpms. I average almost 16 on a trip and high 13's to 14 around town. Truck is a 2019 CC 4x4 with the short bed.

That’s impressive Snowwolfe.

What transmission do you have?
Posted By: mirage243 Re: Trucks? 7.3 Ford? - 08/10/20
Buy a tundra.

The man is asking questions about a truck, a Tundra is a car with a open area to put a Yeti. 😁
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Trucks? 7.3 Ford? - 08/10/20
My F250 is a ‘97, 7.3 Turbo Diesel 5 speed, so it’s theft-proof. 167k miles. It will pull a house off the foundation.

P
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

6 speed auto. I think the 10 speed came out with the 2020 models
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
My F250 is a ‘97, 7.3 Turbo Diesel 5 speed, so it’s theft-proof. 167k miles. It will pull a house off the foundation.
P

The 7.3 diesel is a great motor. I think the new 7.3 gas actually has more torque.
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Trucks? 7.3 Ford? - 08/10/20
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

6 speed auto. I think the 10 speed came out with the 2020 models

Thanks, Snowwolfe. That sounds like a tight rig you’ve got.

I would just guess that the 10 speed tranny might even be better with either the 6.2 or 7.3.

The numbers listed on the 7.3 gasser for torque and hp are impressive.
Posted By: johnn Re: Trucks? 7.3 Ford? - 08/11/20
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Some may find it hard to believe that the gutless wonder has been towing 15k lbs all morning, sometimes even at 65 mph. It has a 7.3 and a 4R100 automatic transmission. My 20 year old dinosaur F250 4x4 can still gets the job done. I can't understand the new truck allure, but I'm sure glad that people keep buying them.

Those 460's were great engines, have one with a ZF 5 speed, its a workhorse. I really like the low end grunt those have. Drove a 2012 gas F350 with a 6.0 or 6.2..? Did a good job towing as well. Buts it was a screamer. Are the new 7.3 the same as the old or power at high rpm?
Posted By: deadlift_dude Re: Trucks? 7.3 Ford? - 08/11/20
Originally Posted by mirage243
Buy a tundra.

The man is asking questions about a truck, a Tundra is a car with a open area to put a Yeti. 😁

Hey, keep my Nissan Frontier out of this!
© 24hourcampfire