75 on water (flat bottom Vdrive)
500ish (standard plane)
130ish - 69 Mustang and 64 Vette
75 ish - in a bass boat
565 - in a Lear with a jet stream tail wind
Sober or drunk?
Yes.
140 in a 2005 corvette
The others, don’t know, but nothing exceptional.
40 mph in a boat is moving right along.
135 Yamaha fz1
50 ski boat
Commercial airline, what ever that is!
Rode in a '72 Chevelle SS with a 375-horse 396 driven by my uncle. We hit 160. I do not recall whether the car had more or not...that was back in the early 80s. I used to run my '68 Torino and my '76 Trans Am hard, hit 140 in them both based on what the tachometers were telling me.

In an aircraft, probably 550 or so in an airliner going from DFW to Frankfurt, Germany. One trip was memoable because we had a tailwind that got us to the destination about an hour early, but I don't recall which direction we were going. We may have achieved over 600 mph groundspeed, but I don't really know. Been back and forth to Germany a few times, plus a few flights across oceans while in the Navy.

On the water, only about 50. That's how fast my Sea Ray will go when trimmed just so-so. It's an 18-footer with a 135 horse Merc outboard. I really don't think I have the desire to go any faster on water, but I'd have been much more apt to do so in my 20s and 30s.
3200 FPS, 140gr 6.5 PRC
Land: I dunno, the speedometer was pegged at 120.
Sea: 90
Air: M .86

My hands on the controls for each.

Deepest: 80’ w/o scuba
Highest: 39,000’
If speed is your need then climb aboard aKawasaki ZX14R and be cured forever.
Ground: approx 135 mph in a ‘67 ‘ Vette
Water: 60 mph in my uncle’s boat powered by a 396
Air: a tad over Mach 2 in a slick F-4
160 top end car
138 1/4 mile car
tried to ski behind a v drive hydrofoil, didn't work out.
around 120 on a bike.
165 in my current Challenger and still pulling good. 50 on water and whatever a commercial airliner goes. Edk
130'ish in a car
85 in a boat
Whatever a 737 cruises at in the air
170 in a model a.
120 on a Yamaha xs 850.
192 in a Pro Mod car
186 in my Pro Eliminator dragboat.
Too fast, too fast, and too fast! laugh
At the controls:

Land - 122mph Pontiac Catalina 392 cu
Water - honestly don't know but was back in the late 50s All wood hydroplane, tuned Merc 40. Maybe 50?
Air - Mach 1.1 T-38 (in close formation!)
230 mph in a Bellanca Super Viking. (About 200 mph)
140 in my BMW 535i
65 on a waverunner
Mach 1.5 in an F/A-18
200 indicated on a Hayabusa (probably 188ish actual) 160 in the Quarter on 4 wheels
65 in a Glastron V-Hull Pleasure Boat
180 knots in a private plane (Not the pilot)

Sat down a Wheelie on my 03 R1 at over 153 one time out near Cambellton and Fashing Texas (middle of nowhere if you wad it up). Looked down and saw the speed and had a Oh [bleep] moment. Just got a hold of the right headwind and balance. I thought "man this is a smooth good one". Best part was it was in front of two of my friends!

Passed three bikes on the back straight on one wheel at Texas World Speedway. Me and that bike were great friends until the day it spit me off in Turn 13 at TWS. A couple of Clavicle surgeries later and our lust cooled a little!
Air -probably whatever speed a commercial jet liner flies at. Water - not sure of the speed but it was fast. A ski boat with a 350 chevy and a jet pump circa 1978. I even water skied behind that thing but not at full speed. Land - 135 MPH as a passenger in a '65 Corvette with a big block 396 motor. and once in 1972 I had my 1970 750cc Honda up to 125 mph.. For about 5 seconds and I backed off immediately..... Just that one time and never again.
Dont have speeds but I jumped a ditch on a palomino pony big enough to park a school bus in.
147mph '89 Honda Hurricane for about 5 seconds and never did that schit again lol.
175 on 4 wheels- BMW M1 on a downhill.
More than that on 2 wheels- Turbocharged Suzuki 1100. Speedo pegged at 260km/h and with another 1500 rpm to go. That one scared the crap out of me.
102 mph (passenger) on water in an Allison with 300hp Mercury Pro-Max.
600 or so on a Boeing 777 Atlanta to Amsterdam.
142, per Nevada Highway Patrol, in my old souped up chevy.
78, per Sheriff's radar, in my boat.
Lastly, whatever 737 does.
I woke up from my high speed motorcycle idiocy when the dashed freeway line turned solid.
Been much faster by road and air,
but speed isn't everything.

Prefer 45 knots /50 + mph in one of these...
(prob. No more than 35 knots in that footage.)

when packing, my llamas will perk along at about 2.5 mph on a good slope, a good hiking speed for this old fart.
I know I did a hundred mph in my ford pickup one night. Tried it sober on that same stretch of road and couldn't do it. Scared the holy crap out of me.
147 on ground

53 on water

1,300 air
347 in Bangkok
148mph - '68 GTX, 440, 4spd. Was rewarded with 15 bent push rods.
Originally Posted by AKCHOPPER
135 on ground ( Kawi 1300)
75 on water (flat bottom Vdrive)
500ish (standard plane)

Land: My DB11 has a theoretical top speed of 200 mph. I can verify 176.

Sea: Our Donzi, at our Alabama Lakehouse claims 75 mph. We've done 68.

Air: My company, prior to my retirement owned various jets. The fastest I recall was in a Gulfstream IV at Mach 0.88, or 675ish mph...
The land speed record, 148, was with a 77 TA. The brother of my best friend in HS had the car. Double pumper, open dual exhaust, cam etc etc with the 403.

I went over there one evening, he said 'Micheal is watching TV (his brother, who was only 7 years older but a god). My buddy had the keys. He put the car in neutral and we pushed it out of the garage, down the driveway, into the street and down a block before we started it. The open, dual exhaust was PRETTY load. Sweet Jesus, the fuel gauge moved as quickly as the speedometer.

I remember riding in it with his brother one time in Sarasota. An ambulance was coming up from behind and I said 'Hey Mike, the mirror says objects in mirror are closer than they appear' He said 'Not now'.

That MF'er would scream
80ish gulf of mexico...really big motor...really small boat...once was enough.
130 plus in my Carrera...way more then once
Commercial airlines
Scariest...one week flying in "Very Used" helicopter around South Island New Zealand with a death wish pilot !!!
151 in a Charger via certified radar

70ish in a pretty slick boat

Not really sure in the air but the guy piloting claimed 700
140 + many times when I used to ride sport bikes .

65 on a Kawasaki jet ski at Norfolk lake .

700 + Cessna Citation private jet .

My truck has me limited to a measly 99 mph these days .
120 mph in a '56 ford.
115 mph on a Honda 750-4 riding double.
85 mph in a flat-bottomed drag boat.
139, Mazda RX-7 Turbo II/140 Chevy Monza small block
65 on the water
Whatever the pilot decided
Originally Posted by Orion2000
148mph - '68 GTX, 440, 4spd. Was rewarded with 15 bent push rods.

Well hell...you had one left to go. Almost impressed us.

wink
160 in my 08 Zo6 on the way to Vegas I-15
130 something was the speed limiter in the T-bird. Found it!
Boat, no idea.

Air?
Max velocity in a 20 foot fall?
I had the ol' F350 up to about 85-90mph last week.
(briefly.....)

Wife's Ford Explorer will hit +100mph.

Briefly.

Do not swerve for deer or gophers.
156 in my 19 GT
155 on my 17 Ninja 1000
65 in a 70's Taylor Jetboat
Don't fly and have no desire to try.

I like speed, looking forward to riding a ZX14
Land: Dodge Polara with a turbo-charged 440 engine. 140 MPH
Water: Don't know exactly. Either a Navy P.B.R. when we were being cross-trained for delta operations with Coastal River Division 11 or maybe a friends speed boat. I don't know how fast either one was.
Air: Probably a Jet liner so I am going to say about 500 MPH.
165 on a Honda CBX
I had a 14 foot livingston boat with tiller steer 25 hp Suzuki [really about 35 hp] that did an honest 30 mph.... until the motor fell off in 400 feet of water at Possession Point.

I put my T shirt on top of an oar, waved it around, and got a tow back to the boat ramp. My pre school son was with me. He is 34 now, and can still remember it..... the T shirt part.
130 in my cuz’s 69 Dodge Charger R/T 440 Magnum

120 on a 85 Yamaha V-Max, scary quick as hell!

75 in a Sanger flat bottom V shaft drive 454 Chevy/Bassetts

500+ commercial flight
I had a 72 Ford Pinto up to 115 on I-40 by Flagstaff. This was back in the 70's.

Yeah,,,Not too smart
At the controls: 140mph 68 Jaguar, 320 Cessna Skynight, maybe 260mph. Now to the funny part; I always find myself throttling back in a boat at around 35mph. Too damned fast on water.
140 on Massaged 1200 Bandit (now totaled by my son)

60 in Tidecraft w/135 Johnson

Unknown in air
228 km on the Autobahn is 141.673 mph in an Audi something. That was at night as a passenger driven by the plant manager who was eating a cookie and talking with his hands to the French guy in the back seat. I said to myself what am I doing sitting in the front seat with a seat belt on? If we crash at this speed, I going to be nothing but a smear on the pavement. Not a real comfort to realize there are very few injuries on the Autobahn, only fatalities.

Charter fishing on Lake Michigan I’ve seen too much big stuff floating out there to risk going fast in a boat.
130 mph +/- Kawasaki ZRx1200R
155 on a bike.

165 in a very non-stock '86 'vette.
140 in my Mustang. 65 in a friends Jet Boat. Whatever commercial aircraft fly.
130 + BSA Gold Star
52 mph 22foot Boston Whaler
Unknown Commercial air line Hasbeen
145 on my '84 Kaw 750 Turbo.

Indicated 70 on a supercharged Sea Doo.

Whatever an airliner cruises at.
238 in freefall in a 6 way tube, basically a ball of people. One guy had a digital altimeter that recorded max vertical speed.
I'm sure I've gone faster solo but had no way to record it.
130 + on my 1981 yamaha xs1100
God only knows on my friends jet boat in 1988,it was fast enough for me to go," wow,this thing moves!"
How ever fast commercial plane goes.
145 on a Z1 Kaw at night - spooky! Only once, i was cured.

140 in a 72 Plymouth Road Runner

Air - nothing very special
Land - 151 mph

Water - 116 mph

Air - however fast a SST Concorde goes.

Presently enjoying life in the slow lane,,,,,,,, with one exception.
Land , BMW 635 130+mph; Kawasaki Triple 750 2 stroke; 110mph
Water; 1987 Skeeter 175 Starfire; Merc 150 Black Max, 70mph
Air: what ever the crusing speed of a G3 corporate jet is?
Land - 130 mph in my 96 Corvette - it still wanted to go faster but the power poles were going by too quick for me to see just where it would quit.

Water - I don't do boats.

Air - Mach 1.2 F-16 at 50,000 ft. If it had not been for the mach indicator I would have never known it because it did not feel any different than any other speed at that altitude.

drover
Air...........From NYC to Barcelona last year the monitor in front of me read 645 mph ground speed. Had a good tail wind. Time of that flight was 6:31.

Land.......140 mph driving a Challenger Hellcat Red Eye.

Boat.......Maybe 20 knots on a cruise from New Zealand to Sydney a few years back. Did not ask the captain.
Two wheels- 140+ at the controls, 155 passenger
Four Wheels- 125-130
Water- 55-60? big block jet boat
Air- whatever a DC10 or 737 does.
I40 mph on the Autobahn between Frankfurt and Nurnberg.

160 mphon the Ford test track in Michigan - but I was not at the wheel.

Air-? 515 mph or whatever intercontinental commercial airlines go.

Water - probably 70 mph. That was enough.
Land: Tokaido Shinkansen (bullet train) from Tokyo to Hiroshima Japan...around 170 mph
Water: Glastron speedboat GM big block, 75 mph
Air: Intercontinental Airliner as others mentioned.

That bullet train was one pretty impressive piece of engineering. The N700 series shinkansen I was on was a conventional rail (not MAGLEV) and was powered with a pantograph & catenary wire!
Have to chuckle at some of the speeds posted for the muscle car era........lets say mid 60's to early 70's. Most of those cars were not capable of those speeds due to stock gearing and aerodynamics.
Originally Posted by 007FJ
200 indicated on a Hayabusa (probably 188ish actual) 160 in the Quarter on 4 wheels

Sat down a Wheelie on my 03 R1 at over 153 one time out near Cambellton and Fashing Texas (middle of nowhere if you wad it up). Looked down and saw the speed and had a Oh [bleep] moment. Just got a hold of the right headwind and balance. I thought "man this is a smooth good one". Best part was it was in front of two of my friends!

Passed three bikes on the back straight on one wheel at Texas World Speedway. Me and that bike were great friends until the day it spit me off in Turn 13 at TWS. A couple of Clavicle surgeries later and our lust cooled a little!

Always liked going fast on a bike with decent aerodynamics. How did the Busa feel at those speeds?
One of these days I want to pick up a used ZX14R.
Some of those 60-70 cars run strong. My 69 Chevelle with a375 hp 396 would bury the speedometer in 3rd gear and pull over 7000 rpm in 4 th gear. 3.08 gears and G70 15 tires. You figure out top speed. Edk
Originally Posted by LovesLevers
Have to chuckle at some of the speeds posted for the muscle car era........lets say mid 60's to early 70's. Most of those cars were not capable of those speeds due to stock gearing and aerodynamics.

Some spoofing on some of the water ones too. Takes a lot of HP to go fast on water. I've been chasing it for a long time.
Originally Posted by ERK
Some of those 60-70 cars run strong. My 69 Chevelle with a375 hp 396 would bury the speedometer in 3rd gear and pull over 7000 rpm in 4 th gear. 3.08 gears and G70 15 tires. You figure out top speed. Edk

Thats puts you at 187 mph for the gearing you posted and the 7000 rpms in 4th gear and the size of your tires (27 inches tall)
https://www.tremec.com/calculadora.php

For comparison purposes the C7 Corvette coupe has a top speed of 187.
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Originally Posted by ERK

Thats puts you at 187 mph for the gearing you posted and the 7000 rpms in 4th gear and the size of your tires (27 inches tall)

Lol . . . . . . . . Crickets 😁
Snow I know the car wasn’t that fast. For every thousand rpm in high it showed 20 mph. At 6000 rpm it read 120 so I always figured 140 at 7000. According to tickets the speedo was correct. Edk
160 mph in a Euro spec VW Phateon in Germany
As fast as American Airlines flys
70ish in a boat

103 mph in late 70s on a John Deere snowmobile on ice and radared. 2 stroke about 50 hp, not today’s monsters. Wild ride for a 17 year old...
168 in a Porsche on the street
Buddy had a experimental bass boat. State trooper clocked us on radar at 92mph
Plane, no clue
Originally Posted by LovesLevers
Originally Posted by 007FJ

Always liked going fast on a bike with decent aerodynamics. How did the Busa feel at those speeds?
One of these days I want to pick up a used ZX14R.

Tucked in behind the screen, trying to get under the paint on the gas tank...It didn't take long and I didn't keep it there for long. The answer to your question...smooth and strangely quiet aside from the engine growl and air intake.

A friend of mine went 207.93 in the Texas Mile on a Busa with a Turbo kit built in his garage. You know that was a rush!
Originally Posted by 3dtestify
130 in my cuz’s 69 Dodge Charger R/T 440 Magnum

120 on a 85 Yamaha V-Max, scary quick as hell!

75 in a Sanger flat bottom V shaft drive 454 Chevy/Bassetts

500+ commercial flight

Had a 1986 Yamaha Fazer - the inline 4 cylinder, 5 valve per cylinder 700cc version of the V-max. 147mph top end - would stretch your arms up to 120 then click it in 6th and it took a bit to get the rest.

around 50 on the water and 650 or so in a commercial airliner.
150 knots (172 mph) piloting an MD500E helicopter with a tail wind.

Ron
Originally Posted by mirage243
Originally Posted by ERK

Lol . . . . . . . . Crickets 😁

7,000 in a 60's BBC?

I thought the 5.0 in my 90 GT was spinning at 5,200
It would spin past 8000 but I shifted at 7000 because it went there so easily. Smoothest engine I ever had and i have had quite a few. Had a 70 with 390 horse 454 and that 396 would have ate it for breakfast. Edk
Evnin gang, 162 mph, Camero 67 big block worked over, 73 mph in cigarette boat, 150 in small plane & 500 plus inAirliner best feeling 122 mph in 10.2 sec in quarter mile , love the acceleration factor best of all. Bill out 🐾👣🇨🇦
Originally Posted by GWPGUY
Evnin gang, 162 mph, Camero 67 big block worked over, 73 mph in cigarette boat, 150 in small plane & 500 plus inAirliner best feeling 122 mph in 10.2 sec in quarter mile , love the acceleration factor best of all. Bill out 🐾👣🇨🇦

You aren't wrong. Gs are best
Water skiied behind a drag boat at 80. Once was enough.
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
Water skiied behind a drag boat at 80. Once was enough.

Goof grief man. That's one time too many and I've done plenty of scary stuff myself.
Land: No clue.... Yamaha V-Max with Nitrous when i was in my 20's

Water: Nothing Specual, ski boat on the Allegheny River

Air: Either a Lear 30 or a Gulf Steam... was busy taking care of the patient so not sure what our speed was.
122 mph in a 93 Camry with a 4-banger
72 mph in a buddy’s bass boat
Mach 1.1 in a T-38 at Sheppard AFB
Originally Posted by ERK

The Chevelle is a 396, the C7 is only a 378 (6.2L).

The 396 must have been seriously underrated, it would require at least 500 bhp to make 187 mph.
© 24hourcampfire