About 2 hours ago.

Posted By: wabigoon Re: Got a little western.... - 08/10/20
Stay safe Sam.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Got a little western.... - 08/10/20
hope it turned out in your favor.
Someone else's baler catch fire?

Hope you got yours out okay.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Got a little western.... - 08/10/20
Ha! A fellow in Wabigoon, Ontario had a bearing start his round baler on fire.

He dropped the burning bale in front of the fire department. laugh
Oh chit, Sam! I hope it doesn't affect your equipment or operations.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Got a little western.... - 08/10/20
Heading back into town.

All good, mostly...

Talk to you here in awhile
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Got a little western.... - 08/10/20
+Never hurts to have a little luck.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Got a little western.... - 08/11/20
Could have been much worse.

We lost maybe 20-30 bales.

Combine fire.

There has been several harvest related fires in the last week.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Posted By: slumlord Re: Got a little western.... - 08/11/20
Dang son

You were just talking about that the other day in a video I think.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Got a little western.... - 08/11/20
Good luck Sam, fire and lightning will make anyone feel humble. You guys that live the life day in and day out are the real deal.

mike r
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Got a little western.... - 08/11/20
Is the center of the bales toast?

Are the fence posts still sound?
Slum, I'm starting to wonder if these new combines are more fire prone?

Guy that lit up today had a fire last week as well.

I don't know the details though, could be just bad luck with the header scraping a rock and not the actual machine starting it.

Green one today but last week a guy burned up a red one. I guess as the machine itself caught fire the engine revved WAY up and blew chunks out into the field.

That would be something to see.

Mike, I stood back and let the pros put it out. Nothing I could do given the wind. There was probably 3-4 different farmers that showed up not to mention the actual fire fighters.

25mph wind and 16% humidity...

AB the post should be fine but the wire might be weakened. We don't run cows up there so not overly concerned.

The bales are toast.

I talked to the fire fighters in the pic and they said someone would probably have to stay up there tonight.

Wind is supposed to be favorable so not worried about it heading towards our equipment.

Posted By: hemiallen Re: Got a little western.... - 08/11/20
Glad it didn't do more damage.

I suspect, besides the labor lost in the bales, it's a good thing you cut that field or the fire wouldn't have been able to be stopped.

Was it the neighbors combine?

Our grapes are at 23.4% sugar, 23.5 is minimum on our contract. Can't wait for our turn ( green light from the winery) to see how light our first picking of the new vines turns out. Always hate/ love this time of year, most work will be over after picking, I can take a vacation ( yea where, lol) but the paycheck is never as expected.

Mother nature has a bigger role in the whole process of farming, not sure how my last 3 generations kept the farm going for me to enjoy..... working with Gen 6 today, I think all he wants is to drive equipment, lol.
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Got a little western.... - 08/11/20
Too bad about the bales. I hoped the centers might not have burned. I guess you have some fertilizer to spread now.

Good about the posts. It would have to be pretty hot to damage the wire. I would guess it's still good.
Hemi, the only thing that stopped it was another neighbor's spring wheat that was just green enough to slow the burn.

Yeah, another neighbor's combine.

Hope your grapes make the grade! That is Greek to me...

Last year we had a beautiful wheat crop but right before harvest we got an epic rain event and it ruined the quality.

Farming will drive you nuts!
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Got a little western.... - 08/11/20
Sam:
Sorry to read about this sir.

Fire season up here has been uncharacteristically slow and calm - touch wood for sure as we're only half way through it.

Hopefully the remainder of the fall goes without incident for you folks.

Dwayne
Thanks Dwayne, only have another 10-20 acres left to swath up there and maybe 50 left to bale.

Then it's time to move back down to the safety of the green river bottom.
That’s no bueno. Stay safe.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Got a little western.... - 08/11/20
Stainless contractor I use at work runs a couple hundred mommas on the side. We were looking at a job and he gets a text from his wife of a video of their Deere baler burning up. She got the hitch pin pulled and then drove off. PTO shaft still turning as she pulled away. He called the Vermeer dealer and they had him a new one hooked up and baling within 2 hours.

He said he’d paid $15k for the JD a few years before. Insurance wrote him a check for $17k. He was pretty happy with the wife.
Bender, we are a little late getting the hay put up and it dried out fast. Everything is ready at once...

Cheesy, I'd shut the PTO off before I messed with pulling the drawbar pin.

Crazy women.....
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: Got a little western.... - 08/11/20
Bummer dude.....

Stay safe...
Good judgment, Sam. I'm afraid I would have hooked up the one way and headed out.

It could have been worse.
It could be a little sporty this year.

Glad it turned out as well as it did Sam.
Amazing the differences between similar jobs depending on location.

Fire in a baker or combine can happen here, but it's rare.
I guess humidity has a silver lining, sometimes.

Sam, I watch the Welker family Youtubes, for a guy who grew up on Farmall and AC
30-50hp tractors with a few 100-150hp "big" tractors, it's amazing how things are
done in Montana.
Posted By: Dutch Re: Got a little western.... - 08/11/20
We’ve seen a lot more semi’s burn up since they mandated the after treatment systems. When they do a regen, temps in the DPF need to go to 1,200 degrees. Sometimes, that’s a little more than the heat shields can handle....... Makes me wonder if these fires may have a similar cause?
SC, stay upwind....

Couldn't imagine fighting a wild fire whipping through tall trees in a forest.

Look out, that would be scary.

Grizz, I just about unhooked a loader tractor from a baler and hauled ass over to start moving bales.

But wasn't sure about wind and help.

A bale bed pickup would have been really handy.

But in all reality it was a small fire and thankfully didn't amount to much.

Good reminder though.

Jim, there is plenty of fuel in places.

And it's getting dry.

Normally we have a water tank and a little pump setup on a flatbed but this year it was nice and green up until last week.

The hill people were ready though.

Dillon, the Welkers have some cool Big Buds!

They cover a lot of acres.
Glad to see it wasn't worse, Sam!
Posted By: deflave Re: Got a little western.... - 08/11/20
Damn!

Sorry about the bales, Sam.
Posted By: g5m Re: Got a little western.... - 08/11/20
Sorry you loss the bales but I'm glad it wasn't worse.
We had a little fire last weekend, lightning strike. Fortunately it was in the high country near several mountain lakes so the choppers dipped and dumped until it was out.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: shortside Re: Got a little western.... - 08/11/20
Timbermaster, that looks like the Tobacco Roots? Old Baldy? Hope they get that one out cold.... Beautiful country up there.

I called in a couple of starts near Rock Creek west of Missoula last week after a short lightning storm right at daybreak. They got on them quick due to good road access. Fire season is upon us!
Yep that is Old Baldy near Twin Bridges, good eye you have. They got it out completely. There is another fire somewhere near because it is very smokey today. We are getting a dry storm seems like every afternoon with lots of lightning.
Sam them wild land firefighters are some tough dudes, this is my son on a fire last month in Arizona. He is in Nevada right now winding down on another one.[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Last year there was a straw stack fire not too far from me. There was an old semi parked right next to it and the plastic body pretty much just melted away. I still question whether parking there was intentional along with a match or two.
Originally Posted by crittrgittr
Sam them wild land firefighters are some tough dudes, this is my son on a fire last month in Arizona. He is in Nevada right now winding down on another one.[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Tough breed right there. I’ve known a few. Bet you are proud as hell, and rightly so.
© 24hourcampfire