Home
for the liberals and the few good people of SEA? Council voted 7-2 and one of the dissenters said it didn't go far enough.

Doesn't look good for the conservatives in Seattle, feel sorry for the liberals there but you get what you wished for.
Could you be a little less cryptic, please ?
I vote fr 30 days without cops, and let things sort themselves out.
I would be kicking myself in the ass for not selling my house in the spring....
Seattle City Council approves plan to defund police department, slashes jobs and salaries

https://www.foxnews.com/us/seattle-city-council-approves-defund-the-police
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
I vote fr 30 days without cops, and let things sort themselves out.

I'd go 90 and let everyone really see what happens when you let liberal policies go unfettered. Idiots need to really feel the pain of their mistake or they won't learn from it.
I stand corrected 7-1. Let's see how msm covers this in the months to come. How many LEO'S you think are gonna stick around?
Originally Posted by Joel/AK
I stand corrected 7-1. Let's see how msm covers this in the months to come. How many LEO'S you think are gonna stick around?

Only the bad ones.
Does the movie "The Purge" ring a bell?
Less then 1% cut in funding.

Big deal.
I'd pay for a ringside seat to watch the social workers try to control EDPs, drunks, addicts, muggers, thieves and murderers.
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
I'd pay for a ringside seat to watch the social workers try to control EDPs, drunks, addicts, muggers, thieves and murderers.

The gangs with the muscle will fill that vacuum.
Doesn't look good for the conservatives in Seattle

All 3 of them moved out 8 weeks ago.

feel sorry for the liberals there

Why?
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Originally Posted by Magnumdood

The gangs with the muscle will fill that vacuum.

Muscle and vacuum gets your motor revved up......ewww
Let Seattle burn to the ground. Let the DemoRat’s reap what they’ve sown.
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Big deal.

I have zero data, but your response was close to my first reaction - typical blown out of proportion bombastic post to stir the pot.

So, do you (or the OP) have a link? Is it 100% "defund"? Just eliminate the donut and coffee slush fund?

Hard to believe any you read these days, and this place is NO exception.

Big deal.

Right? What happened to 50%? This is lame. I was hoping for 50%+ and a complete breakdown in the city.

It is kinda funny they cut the black chiefs pay to well below her white predecessor. Lol.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Cops should walk away and let it burn. Until it directly effects the politicians in charge. Their property destroyed, their family members hurt or killed. Shove reality square down their throats.
Originally Posted by duck911

Big deal.

I have zero data, but your response was close to my first reaction - typical blown out of proportion bombastic post to stir the pot.

So, do you (or the OP) have a link? Is it 100% "defund"? Just eliminate the donut and coffee slush fund?

Hard to believe any you read these days, and this place is NO exception.

Reportedly 4 million dollar cut from a 400 million dollar budget. Lol
Who cares? I don’t.
Originally Posted by Armednfree
Cops should walk away and let it burn. Until it directly effects the politicians in charge. Their property destroyed, their family members hurt or killed. Shove reality square down their throats.

Seattle has been and will always be a joke so long as libs run the city.
Originally Posted by Springcove
Who cares? I don’t.

Well, I do.

Is it a full defunding, or just media bias and a BS story? If the former, how will it impact other jurisdictions decisions? If the latter, good data to have.

If it is a trend, millions of people in major cities will be impacted, as will business, and industry, and livelihoods. And, the economy.

So "screw those libs in Seattle" is cute here for impact, but there are far reaching repercussions to all this chit.
As the old saying goes, "You keep voting the same way, you are going to keep getting the same results." To my way of thinking this is Karma for the corrupt politicians that have been allowed to stay. Now hundreds if not thousands of businesses have been lost and won't ever be coming back. That was an important tax base. Anyone who doesn't get out while the getting is good, is blind. How is it going to get any better???
No matter what happens, they will always blame everyone else for the problems that they create. This first cut wasn't terribly bad, something like 100 positions cut. The commie bi**h Kshama Swant (sp) voted no, said it didn't go far enough. With the new humiliation training, and trying to make all the white government workers admit to their "white privlege, one plan called for only white officers to be laid off. Any "officer of color" would stay. Lots of real good common sense and reality in that (sarcasm font off).
Originally Posted by duck911
Originally Posted by Springcove
Who cares? I don’t.

Well, I do.

Is it a full defunding, or just media bias and a BS story? If the former, how will it impact other jurisdictions decisions? If the latter, good data to have.

If it is a trend, millions of people in major cities will be impacted, as will business, and industry, and livelihoods. And, the economy.

So "screw those libs in Seattle" is cute here for impact, but there are far reaching repercussions to all this chit.

Cutting spending is not a strong suit for liberals.

"It was also cut the police department's $400 million budget by about $3 million, according to KOMO."

https://www.foxnews.com/us/seattle-city-council-approves-defund-the-police
Elections have consequences and those in Seattle will get a reality check of that soon enough.

We are getting our dose of reality here in NC from our dem governor. Hopefully most learn from it and vote in a conservative in November.
Ain’t like Seattle PD make much anyway....Lol.

https://static-seattletimes-com.cdn...020/08/SPD-pay-top-ten-WEB-2040x1161.jpg
These people running democratic cities are broken in the head...Their mental utopia is fueled by the outlandish fiction novels they devoured alone in their bedrooms.

Being friendless, with no activities, aside from band, these fûckwits were the ones I used to protect from getting their asses kicked on campus by stoners.

Now, these retards, lacking any sense of community, business development, and the need to police people or watch civility swirl down the sewer, think less enforcement will produce a friendlier social network of Kumbyya singing eggplants.

Watch as these same individuals become victimized by criminals start screaming “Call the police”.

Here’s my answer...911 what’s your emergency? This is Council Woman Sawant. I have an someone breaking into my $850k house. Please send the police!!!

911...I’m sorry Ms. The police don’t respond to non emergency calls. Please call the social worker community hotline at 1-800-I’m outta fûcks.

Good Bye.

🖕🏾😎🖕🏾
I hope they cut something meaningless like 1-2% and the peaceful protestors show up at all the houses of the mayor and city council.
Originally Posted by Armednfree
Cops should walk away and let it burn.
Isn't that what they were basically ordered to do?
Originally Posted by JakeBlues
I hope they cut something meaningless like 1-2% and the peaceful protestors show up at all the houses of the mayor and city council.

Originally Posted by JakeBlues

If you read the details of the cuts, yes your wish is a reality.

By Daniel Beekman
Seattle Times staff reporter
The City Council took votes Monday to rebalance Seattle’s battered 2020 budget and start reducing the size and scope of the Police Department. It also promised to make more dramatic changes to public safety services next year.

Budget amendments passed by the council are intended to shrink the force by up to 100 officers through layoffs and attrition this year; dismantle a team that removes some homeless encampments; and cut the wages of Police Department command staff between September and December, among other actions.

Police Chief Carmen Best may see her pay trimmed, though not as much as initially planned. Facing criticism for targeting Best, with the chief’s lawyer mentioning Best broke ground as the first Black woman to lead the Police Department, council members decided she should still make about $23,000 per month.

Mayor Jenny Durkan and Best opposed some of Monday’s moves, asking the council to hold off on changes they said would be hard to carry out quickly. The Seattle Police Officers Guild (SPOG) campaigned against layoffs, collecting petition signatures from people across the country and rallying Sunday.

But Councilmember Teresa Mosqueda described Monday’s amendments as first steps toward achieving the demands by many Black Lives Matter protesters that Seattle defund the Police Department by 50% to invest in community programs. Since May, large crowds have repeatedly taken to the streets and advocates have put pressure on the council to rethink public safety.

“It will take time to get there but we are acting with urgency today,” Mosqueda said before voting in a remote meeting. “What’s important about today is that we haven’t just said, ‘No.’ … We are walking with community.”

ADVERTISING

Only Councilmember Kshama Sawant voted against what she called an “austerity package.” She said the police reductions were too modest and noted the budget was balanced partly by cutting nonpolice projects and services.

The Police Department reductions passed Monday represent only about $3 million in 2020 savings; the department was allocated $409 million this year — more than the city spends annual on parks and social services.

Seven council members agreed last month with the coalitions Decriminalize Seattle and King County Equity Now that the police budget should be slashed by 50%, Sawant recalled, accusing her colleagues of backtracking.

The coalitions sounded a more positive note.

“Today, City Council inched us towards a safer future — a future where instead of using our limited taxpayer resources … salaries for police officers, we allocate those funds towards data-driven, community-based solutions that we know prevent harm — not merely respond to it,” Decriminalize Seattle and King County Equity Now said in a statement, calling for investments in shelters, housing, youth programs and mental health services.

“While there is still much to do, we encourage the Council, the Mayor and Chief Best to endorse the overwhelmingly supported process underway towards true public safety for all Seattle residents,” the coalitions added.

Mosqueda said Monday’s police reductions could save more than $10 million next year and touted a resolution that passed unanimously Monday. The resolution says the council intends to create a new Department of Public Safety and transfer the city’s 911 dispatch, emergency management, harbor patrol and parking enforcement units out of the Police Department.

ADVERTISING

Those changes, some of which Durkan previously announced she wanted to advance in 2021, along with some other potential reductions, could take about $170 million away from the Police Department next year, Mosqueda said.

She and other council members said Seattle has asked armed cops to deal with circumstances that social workers and community organizations are better suited for, noting more than half of 911 calls involve noncriminal issues.

“We as a council and the mayor’s office are in a really unique position to seize the moment in this city and in this country,” Councilmember Lisa Herbold said.

The council is directing $17 million, mostly borrowed from the city’s construction and inspections department, for community-led budget research and to bolster community organizations that do public safety work. Some organizations that have pushed for police defunding could receive support.

Like council members, Durkan has vowed to reimagine how Seattle delivers public safety. But leading up to Monday, the mayor opposed immediate officer layoffs and criticized the council for scrapping the city’s Navigation Team, which provides outreach at and removes large homeless encampments.

“Council has refused to engage in a collaborative process … to develop a budget and policies that respond to community needs while accounting for … the significant labor and legal implications involved in transforming the Seattle Police Department,” Durkan spokeswoman Kelsey Nyland said.

ADVERTISING

The Downtown Seattle Association slammed the council’s policing moves.

“The council moved with speed and pettiness rather than with precision and thoughtfulness,” the association said in a statement. “Decisions critical to public safety require stating the desired results and working with the community to figure out how to get there. This council focused largely on an abstract pledge.”

Monday’s votes mostly wrapped up weeks of midyear budget deliberations by the council in the midst of an economic crisis caused by the COVID-19 pandemic and during mass protests over police killings of Black people.

But the work will continue Wednesday, when council members are expected to clash with Durkan over COVID-19 relief spending, and this fall, when they and Durkan will hash out the city’s 2021 budget.

‘It’s not the Seattle I want to live in’: Passion and deep feelings at rally to support police VIEW
‘Substantial’ pier shift closes Seattle’s Waterfront Park
Though Monday’s rebalanced budget should close a 2020 gap of about $300 million, updated revenue projections released by the mayor Monday extended that gap by $26 million. Where that money will come from is not yet clear.

Durkan recently vetoed the council’s plan to spend $86 million in emergency reserves on COVID-19 relief and replenish the funds with proceeds from a new tax on large corporations. The council is likely to override her veto.

In rebalancing the 2020 budget, the council mostly accepted solutions proposed in June by the mayor, whose package included federal and state assistance, emergency reserves, a hiring freeze and cuts or delays to projects and services (such as postponing progress on the First Avenue streetcar line).

Council members made some minor changes outside the Police Department. For example, they added support for a beach restoration project at Rainier Beach and restored support for sidewalks near Magnuson Park.

The council’s police amendments will withhold money from Best’s patrol budget and ask her to adjust by laying off some officers at large, laying off some from speciality units (such as SWAT, schools, horse patrol, public affairs and community outreach) and leaving some positions vacant when cops resign. The chief decides how to allocate her department’s resources.

Council members chose to withhold the money rather than cut it right away in case the measures can’t be completed this year. SPOG already has demanded to bargain over a request by the council that Best target cops with multiple sustained misconduct complaints for pink slips rather laying off by reverse seniority.

Amendments also will cut money for Police Department travel, training and recruitment and will transfer victim services out of the department. Durkan has warned certain changes could hamper the city’s compliance with a 2012 court agreement to curb the excessive use of force and biased policing.

Councilmember Dan Strauss reassured Seattle residents he believes the Police Department will continue to respond to all 911 calls in a timely manner as the city scales up alternative approaches. When that transition is done, he said, residents should receive quicker, more appropriate responses.

Councilmember Alex Pedersen added language to Monday’s package asking the Police Department to report back on how the layoffs end up impacting the Police Department’s response times and ability to address crime.

“I believe adjustments can be made so response times do not get worse,” and data will show “whether we’re achieving the outcomes we want,” he said.
Originally Posted by Beaver10
These people running democratic cities are broken in the head...Their mental utopia is fueled by the outlandish fiction novels they devoured alone in their bedrooms.

Being friendless, with no activities, aside from band, these fûckwits were the ones I used to protect from getting their asses kicked on campus by stoners.

Now, these retards, lacking any sense of community, business development, and the need to police people or watch civility swirl down the sewer, think less enforcement will produce a friendlier social network of Kumbyya singing eggplants.

Watch as these same individuals become victimized by criminals start screaming “Call the police”.

Here’s my answer...911 what’s your emergency? This is Council Woman Sawant. I have an someone breaking into my $850k house. Please send the police!!!

911...I’m sorry Ms. The police don’t respond to non emergency calls. Please call the social worker community hotline at 1-800-I’m outta fûcks.

Good Bye.

🖕🏾😎🖕🏾

Beaver,
Tap on the link just above your post. Unbelievable.
I’m not shocked at those payouts for cops in a large metro PD.

The numbers are basically the same in Portland. Some cops are overtime hounds, who gobble up hours like candy.

Even large county jailers can make over $200k with extra OT pay.

If the graph showed the average 5 year street cop salary with mandatory OT it would be in the $125k -$135k range in PDX.

If you want to see some fugly incomes....Look at the pension of older retiring cops, firefighters, medical providers, or Professors who worked for a State University or Medical teaching school. Pers #1 and #2 provide 6 figure retirements that have to be paid by taxes.

The Oregon State Pers debt is around 24 billion, I believe. That’s what contributes significantly to a financially crushed state economy here and abroad.

Ridiculous? Some say fûck yes!

😎
$397 million aughta cover it.
Seattle Police Chief Carmen Best says she will retire amid protests, City Council cuts

By Daniel Beekman
Seattle Times staff reporter
Seattle Police Chief Carmen Best will step down, she has announced, in the wake of protests against police brutality, criticism over the Police Department’s response and votes by the City Council to shrink the police force and cut her wages.

“This was a difficult decision for me, but when it’s time, it’s time,” Best wrote in a Monday night message to Police Department employees.

Best and Mayor Jenny Durkan have scheduled a news conference for Tuesday, the mayor’s office said.

The news about the chief was first reported Monday night on air by KIRO radio’s Dori Monson and on Twitter by Q13 reporter Brandi Kruse, citing anonymous sources.

In her message to “the Women and Men of the Seattle Police Department,” Best wrote she would be retiring, effective Sept. 2. She said news reports had raced ahead of her.

“I wanted you to hear this from me,” wrote Best, the first Black woman to lead the department. “But some media have reached this conclusion on their own.”

In her own note to the Police Department’s employees Monday night, Durkan lauded Best’s work, calling her departure sad for the city.

“While I understand the Chief’s reasons, I accepted her decision with a very heavy heart,” the mayor wrote. “I have had the privilege to be with Chief Carmen Best in so many situations: with her family, at roll calls, in community meetings, and in nearly weekly meetings addressing public safety in Seattle. Her grit, grace and integrity have inspired me and made our city better.”

Durkan added, “I regret deeply that she concluded that the best way to serve the city and help the department was a change in leadership, in the hope that would change the dynamics to move forward with the City Council.”

The chief’s message didn’t mention why she decided to leave after nearly three decades with the department.

An anonymous source cited by KING5 reporter Chris Daniels on Twitter, described council actions as contributing to her decision.

The chief has taken heat in some quarters, along with Durkan, for allowing officers to repeatedly use tear gas and other “less-lethal” weapons on crowds at Black Lives Matter protests that erupted this year after the police killing of George Floyd in Minneapo
© 24hourcampfire