Home
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattl...ade-at-least-200000-last-year-heres-how/

By Daniel Beekman
Seattle Times staff reporter
When the City Council started digging into the Seattle Police Department’s $409 million annual budget last month, having pledged to redirect much of the money to community solutions, a crucial truth quickly emerged.

To defund the police, like many Black Lives Matter protesters have demanded since an uprising began in May, the council would need to slash spending on personnel; more than 80% of SPD’s budget this year was allocated to employee compensation.

Council members took some initial steps Monday, voting for 2020 budget amendments meant to shrink Seattle’s force by up to 100 officers and reduce the wages of about a dozen commanders for the rest of this year. They also passed an amendment that would require SPD to file monthly reports about employees making more than $150,000 this year.

But what the council members have yet to review is an employee-by-employee breakdown of police pay. Those records, requested from City Hall by The Seattle Times, shed additional light on how the department spends taxpayers’ dollars.

The median gross pay among SPD’s more than 2,000 employees last year was about $153,000, not including benefits, with 374 employees grossing at least $200,000 and 77 making at least $250,000, according to a Times analysis.

Note: All employees, including civilians (such as parking officers and 911 dispatchers) and employees who worked less than full time or less than the full year, were included in that analysis. Median gross pay was higher among sworn employees (officers, sergeants, lieutenants and captains) and among employees who worked more hours. For example, the median for officers who worked at least 1,000 hours was $167,000.

Twenty employees — all of them officers, sergeants or lieutenants — grossed more money than police Chief Carmen Best in 2019, even though the department’s top boss had the highest base rate: $140 per hour.

The gross pay numbers cloak some details, because they combine regular and overtime pay; SPD uses overtime to staff emphasis patrols, sports events and other special events, such as parades and protests. It spent more than $34 million in overtime pay in 2019.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Last year’s gross numbers are also somewhat skewed, because members of the Seattle Police Officers Guild (SPOG) received lump-sum retroactive raises from 2015-2018, when they worked under an expired contract.

The retroactive payments help explain why SPD’s median gross pay rose from about $105,000 in 2017 and $104,000 in 2018 to $153,000 in 2019, and why 20 employees leapfrogged Best in gross pay from 2017 to 2019. The median retroactive payment for a SPOG member last year was $34,640.

The new contract SPOG signed with the city in 2018 included cost of living raises of 3% for 2015, 2016 and 2017, 3.65% for 2018 and 3.85% for 2019.

Mayor Jenny Durkan lobbied the council to approve the contract, touting the deal as an opportunity to secure reforms, such as body-worn cameras and a civilian inspector general, and also to reward and retain police officers who had gone several years without raises. The council voted 8-1; among current members, M. Lorena González, Teresa Mosqueda, Lisa Herbold and Debora Juarez voted yes, while only Kshama Sawant voted no.

The pay records requested by The Times demonstrate how exactly the dollars in the contract added up last year. Seattle shelled out almost $37 million in retroactive base pay and more than $7 million in retroactive overtime pay.

For example, SPD’s top earner was patrol officer Ron Morgan Willis, hired in 1995. He made $128,716 in base pay last year while racking up $214,544 in overtime pay, $33,628 in retroactive base pay and $37,656 in retroactive overtime pay. In total, he grossed $414,543 in 2019.

Willis is a patrol officer who also serves as an “adjunct trainer,” working with SPD’s training unit “on an overtime basis,” according to Kelsey Nyland, a spokesperson for Mayor Jenny Durkan.

SPD has added training sessions in recent years to comply with a 2012 court agreement with the U.S. Department of Justice that required Seattle to curb excessive force and biased policing. But the city hasn’t added more officers to its training unit, Nyland said. Instead, SPD has relied on officers working overtime “to staff these shifts,” she said.

SPOG’s contract allows officers to work overtime while on vacation, the spokesperson added. An officer who works a 12-hour shift on a vacation day can receive 12 hours of overtime pay and eight hours of regular pay.

Provisions also allow cops in certain cases to be paid an hour of overtime for a short phone call or to be paid three hours of overtime for less actual work.

Willis was “not available for an interview at this time,” Sgt. Lauren Truscott, an SPD spokesperson, said in an email Thursday.

Reining in overtime

Willis wasn’t alone in piling up overtime. More than 160 SPD employees made at least $50,000 in overtime last year, not counting retroactive payments.

SPD’s annual overtime expenses have about tripled since 2006, and overtime hours worked have increased 53%, from about 260,000 to 398,000 hours, according to the department.
That’s a lot of coins for being paid to stand down.
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

Those are some serious pensions that will be paid out....unless they run out of money.
Wish I could log overtime like that!
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

Those are some serious pensions that will be paid out....unless they run out of money.

I didn’t think about the pensions and associated legacy costs.

You ain’t scchitt’n.
I’m not at all a defund the police person, but those are some huge salaries. Maybe it needs trimming and better management.
Not bad. I was in the wrong business.
That's impressive.
Nice, and a full pension after 20 years?

, nah, think I’ll keep farming and really make the big bucks.....
Its the over time and probably vacation buy back that is where the big bucks come from. I'm guessing for the top patrol officer making 200k that crazy bastard doesn't have a life, or is soon to be divorced. Or they have some sort of b.s. racket going on.

Also the retroactive pay seems to be back pay from when the union agreement expired, I guess the city caved to that in arbitration? (I think unions are a racket in any profession).

I guess living in a liberal hell hole has its benefits. Go look what the avg pay is for a patrol officer is per state...(hint its usually 40k-60k, hardly a get rich quick plan)
If it costs twice as much to live there, than where Im at, 200k aint all that.
Licensed Professional Engineers don't make that much money with Texas department of Transportation. I'm talking guys with nearly 20 years experience and are over design groups. The average salary for a District Engineer is 181,205$ that I found on the internet. These men supervise several hundred to over a 1000 employees and have control over money more than gross economy of some countries.
Originally Posted by 1911a1
Licensed Professional Engineers don't make that much money with Texas department of Transportation. I'm talking guys with nearly 20 years experience and are over design groups. The average salary for a District Engineer is 181,205$ that I found on the internet. These men supervise several hundred to over a 1000 employees and have control over money more than gross economy of some countries.

$180,000 per year in Texas is like $2 million a year in Seattle.
cops are a gang overrated overstaffed overpaid not much different then BLM . being both tax parasites both want to kill and be above the law both want the public to bow to them both are lying thieves and both threaten violence if they dont get their way. BLM burning and looting cops saying crime rates will go up if defunded
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle

I realize there is a difference in cost of living but 2 mill is way over the top. You can easily spend 350,000 to 500,000 on houses in Austin and nicer parts of the Metroplex.
Lennie: As usual YOU and jaguartz post these sometimes interesting "news articles" without posting YOUR opinion/comment/assessment!
I could NOT, give afuck less, what some communist leaning "newspaper" in the formerly once great city of Seattle writes!
I simply couldn't.
I would like to hear what YOU have to say about this but I am beginning to wonder if YOU are smart enough to decipher what is going on there with those "high" salaries?
First off the exorbitant amount of overtime PAY leads me to the obvious conclusion that the Seattle Police Department is grossly understaffed!
It has been under-staffed since I left there in 1998!
So figger that in to your figgerin if'n you are smart enough to try that!
Then figger in to your figgerin that the Seattle Police Department/Officers went for 6 or 7 years without a contract and got NO raises in salary/pay or benefits for those 6 or 7 years!
So once a raise was OK'ed by the city council and the mayor that raise was then "retroactively" figgered in and paid in the year that is being "highlighted" by the communist press in Seattle!
I wish I had a dollar for every member of the Seattle press I put in Jail over my 29 year career there - I would buy a new Rifle and a new scope to go on it and have money left over for ammo!
The "press" in Seattle is and always has been anti-police so keep that in mind while you are a figgerin.
I'll add this little bit of comedy to your scolding/learning while I am here.
Last year I was Johnny on the spot down at my local Wells Fargo bank to get my monthly allowance that the VarmintWife gives me out of our joint account for mad gun money!
I was aware of how much money should be in our account and there was $27,000.00 "extra" in that account! I immediately called the VarmintWife and said to her get down to the Wells Fargo bank and see what the heck is wrong there is to much money in our account. I had completely forgotten about the ongoing 7 years of "contract negotiations" and it did not occur to me that the contract had been settled and the "retroactive" pay raise had been figgered and placed into our account before even being notified!
It was a nice surprise.
By the way my genre of Pohlice had kept a "Hands On" approach to our paid into retirement fund and guided it and and watched over it so politicians could NOT steal it.
Our monthly payments into that fund and the 6% matching funds from the governing bodies has accumulated to $1,200,000,000.00 (one billion two hundred million dollars!) with last I heard less than 2,000 officers and widows to fund pensions for the rest of their lives.
Most kalifornicationkopian retirement funds (and most other civil service entities) were SPENT and no reserve to accumulate and grow like ours has! The retirement obligations are being met by taxes instead of carefully invested and growing funds!
Sad that.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Large amounts of overtime is a sign of understaffing. If staffed appropriately, overtime would be considerably reduced for daily staffing requirements and the amount of extra OT would typically be shared across a larger pool thereby lowering individual income. Three years straight I made 25% more than my chief as our manning was 12% under minimums overall and 30% under in my class. I and a couple others had a Memorandum of Understanding from the union and city to work over the contract maximums. The wife wasn't thrilled but went along when I explained what it meant long term.

I would also look at OT for events and other extras as the city costs are typically charged in the permit fees and would go into the city's General Fund rather than police budget for this. Meaning, the police OT would be coming from the event holder rather than taxpayers. This would be shown as a police department expense but the actual cost would be covered in a line item on the city side. Whether the full cost of services makes it back to the police department is a question but in the cases I've been involved with, a premium was added to the quoted or required price so the city always gets some extra. Often these OT duties are considered outside employment by the pension board and would have no affect on one's pension.

Mandatory minimum OT for some causes is also common. My department had a three hour minimum if called back to work when off duty. Rarely did the reason for the call back go for the full three hours. The minimum time came from an earlier chief who would call for mandatory meetings and other duties to fug with people. Call a mandatory meeting for rush hour, give a BS 20 minute update, and then send the off duty people back home during rush hour. All for 15- 20 minutes of OT. Making it 3 hours gave the chief pause as that eventually totaled enough to get the finance director's notice and then the city manager's.

As for back pay, either that was the arbitrator's decision or the city agreed to the terms of a new contract. I've gone nearly two years on an expired contract and that was just to get in wages the same percentage as the rest of the city had already been given. It was also what the city had originally offered but they were upset on our refusal to accept a new part of the contract so came back with a lesser wage increase in response.

Vacation sell back was an option for me which did count towards income but it was not recognized for pension purposes. It would have been considered "double dipping" and therefore not allowed. This would also lead one to believe the OT for various events would not be included in pension liability as one can use vacation time to work the event.

OT might not count towards a pension at all depending on the pension. Some of those "20 years and out" pensions are fixed at 1/2 the base wage of a patrolman or sometimes last position held. For those the only way to secure a higher retirement income is to build up an outside retirement fund. Putting in a lot of OT would be a good way to meet that requirement.

Overall, I've always felt large OT budgets are a sign of poor staffing. There is usually a cost savings as the employer only pays 1/2 time more to fill the position but saves on benefits. There is a cost in burn out to employees - especially those that work massive amounts. In this case, one must also remember that child and spousal support may be based off the higher income which necessitates working those extra hours. Which tend to dry up at some point. Something I reminded my crew when such opportunities came about.
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Lennie: As usual YOU and jaguartz post these sometimes interesting "news articles" without posting YOUR opinion/comment/assessment!
I could NOT, give afuck less, what some communist leaning "newspaper" in the formerly once great city of Seattle writes!
I simply couldn't.
I would like to hear what YOU have to say about this but I am beginning to wonder if YOU are smart enough to decipher what is going on there with those "high" salaries?
First off the exorbitant amount of overtime PAY leads me to the obvious conclusion that the Seattle Police Department is grossly understaffed!
Then figger in to your figgerin that the Seattle Police Department/Officers went for 6 or 7 years without a contract and got NO raises in salary/pay or benefits for those 6 or 7 years!
So once a raise was OK'ed by the city council and the mayor that raise was then "retroactively" figgered in and paid in the year that is being "highlighted" by the communist press in Seattle!
I wish I had a dollar for every member of the Seattle press I put in Jail over my 29 year career there - I would buy a new Rifle and a new scope to go on it and have money left over for ammo!
The "press" in Seattle is and always has been anti-police so keep that in mind while you are a figgerin.
I'll add this little bit of comedy to you scolding/learning while I am here.
Last year I was Johnny on the spot down at my local Wells Fargo bank to get my monthly allowance that the VarmintWife gives me out of our joint account for mad gun money!
I was aware of how much money should be in our account and there was $27,000.00 "extra" in that account! I immediately called the VarmintWife and said to her get down to the Wells Fargo bank and see what the heck is wrong there is to much money in our account. I had completely forgotten about the ongoing 7 years of "contract negotiations" and it did not occur to me that the contract had been settled and the "retroactive" pay raise had been figgered and placed into our account before even being notified!
It was a nice surprise.
By the way my genre of Pohlice had kept a "Hands On" approach to our paid into retirement fund and guided it and and watched over it so politicians could NOT steal it.
Our monthly payments into that fund and the 6% matching funds from the governing bodies has accumulated to $1,200,000,000.00 (one billion two hundred million dollars!) with last I heard less than 2,000 officers and widows to fund pensions for the rest of their lives.
Most kalifornicationkopian retirement funds (and most other civil service entities) were SPENT and no reserve to accumulate and grow like ours has! The retirement obligations are being met by taxes instead of carefully invested and growing funds!
Sad that.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I think Seattle PD is very understaffed. Who in their right mind could retain their sanity and work under the conditions they are given. Seattle's over time problems are just beginning. Give them a year or two and their OT pay will be through the roof and officers will be burning out faster than they can recruit.
Second thought. Giving politicians access to any money is not very smart.
And FYI, I am like many on the fire who can see the hand writing in the wall.
And congratulations on discovering the extra gun fund dollars. That had to be a special day.

I realize there is a difference in cost of living but 2 mill is way over the top. You can easily spend 350,000 to 500,000 on houses in Austin and nicer parts of the Metroplex.

A 2000 sq ft house thats 50 or 60 years old and nothing special on the outskirts will be $1 to 1.2 million. A 1600 sq ft 3bd/2ba condo in town is about $1 million. Those are the most affordable options in Seattle. Thats why people commute to and from for a few hours a day. My house is 2375 sq ft 4bd/3ba, an hour out of town, and is $620,000. Again, nothing fancy.
Originally Posted by Lennie
I simply couldn't.
I'll add this little bit of comedy to you scolding/learning while I am here.
It was a nice surprise.
Sad that.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I think Seattle PD is very understaffed. Who in their right mind could retain their sanity and work under the conditions they are given. Seattle's over time problems are just beginning. Give them a year or two and their OT pay will be through the roof and officers will be burning out faster than they can recruit.
Second thought. Giving politicians access to any money is not very smart.
And FYI, I am like many on the fire who can see the hand writing in the wall.
And congratulations on discovering the extra gun fund dollars. That had to be a special day.

Once in a blue moon I had to book at King Co Jail. As the guy you arrested gets searched and seen by medical, you stand behind the booking counter and wait. The SPD guys would look pretty tired, sometimes falling asleep during the process. I’m a dirtbag, so I’d hand out my card and let em know we take laterals. We got a good kid not too long from them.
Lennie: I would NOT do that job there in Seattle (which I did, gleefully, for 29 years!) for ANY amount of money!
PERIOD.
The Police Department there nowadays is nothing but a "whipping boy" and a glorified bunch of baby-sitters and treated by the mayor, many "citizens" and the city council as "the enemy"!
Let that schithole, of a communist bastion, of a city rot, for all I care.
Its been bad for a long time but over the past 5 - 8 years it has gotten horrific, dangerous and unsustainable.
My advice to you and other taxingtonians (Washingtonians) is GTF outta there, and fast, before falling property values and rising taxes cripple you - or worse you are injured or killt by the cretins running rampant in that once wonderful area/region.
Sad that.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Overtime is magic. For most of 12 years I spent close to 6months/year away from home, some times 3 months at a time. When deployed I was paid 12 hours/day, 7 days/week plus any callouts outside of that 12 hours. Made for a nice early retirement and put 4 kids through college. When opportunity and skill meet ambition good things can happen.

mike r
The top paid man, based on a 2080 hour year, is booking right at 2,000 hrs of OT per year, assuming even split between time and a half (1000 hrs) and double time (1000 hrs). As noted above, either "no life", or, some type of racket going on... My guess would be divorced with a blood sucking ex who took him to the cleaners in front of one of their liberal judges...
I simply couldn't.
It was a nice surprise.
Sad that.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

like I said cops are an organized racket gangsters with badges
Left coast math is just different.

That is why Montana and Texas will get bought out.

Sucks... but just the math.

A 2000 sq ft house thats 50 or 60 years old and nothing special on the outskirts will be $1 to 1.2 million. A 1600 sq ft 3bd/2ba condo in town is about $1 million. Those are the most affordable options in Seattle. Thats why people commute to and from for a few hours a day. My house is 2375 sq ft 4bd/3ba, an hour out of town, and is $620,000. Again, nothing fancy.
No wonder there are homeless people in Seattle. That's fuggin rediculous. 100k will buy a pretty good house in town here. You can get a perfectly liveable one for 60- 80k if you look around. It's also a bit rediculous how goddam big of a house people think they need these days. My parents raised four of us boys in a 1600 sq ft house and we didn't feel cramped. My wife and I had three kids in a 1500 sq ft. house and likewise we didn't feel cramped. If you think you need more room than that you've probably got too damn much shyt.
Originally Posted by SPQR70AD
I simply couldn't.
It was a nice surprise.
Sad that.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Varmintgay is living proof that it doesn't take much brains to be a cop.
That is insane that Patrol Officer Willis made $414,000 last year. I bet he never would have cracked 100 grand a year in the private sector.
This is why government unions ought to be illegal.
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
That is insane that Patrol Officer Willis made $414,000 last year. I bet he never would have cracked 100 grand a year in the private sector.

Working an 8 to 5, probably not. But he likely worked doubles, weekends, and holidays to get to that. Plus, there was a settlement that was added to their 2019 salaries.
It was largely due to retroactive pay from previous years without a contract.
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I simply couldn't.
It was a nice surprise.
Sad that.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Varmintgay is living proof that it doesn't take much brains to be a cop.

Amazing power that union has, that They could retroactively give an increase after so many years without negotiations. Why wouldn't the city just give the increase every year when the union has the power to give retroactive raises? Complete corruption

Yea, puts a new light on piss into the wind, being a transplant from Washington state
Lennie: I would NOT do that job there in Seattle (which I did, gleefully, for 29 years!) for ANY amount of money!
PERIOD.
The Police Department there nowadays is nothing but a "whipping boy" and a glorified bunch of baby-sitters and treated by the mayor, many "citizens" and the city council as "the enemy"!
Let that schithole, of a communist bastion, of a city rot, for all I care.
Its been bad for a long time but over the past 5 - 8 years it has gotten horrific, dangerous and unsustainable.
My advice to you and other taxingtonians (Washingtonians) is GTF outta there, and fast, before falling property values and rising taxes cripple you - or worse you are injured or killt by the cretins running rampant in that once wonderful area/region.
Sad that.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

You ever think when cops are making salaries like that as civil servants, via the taxes of the “citizens” which have an average income per my “google” of $93,500.00, there might be a good reason they view you as the enemy? Lmao...
Originally Posted by high_country_

A contract? Lmao.... and they probably come on 24/7 flexing their muscles about being patriots, boasting capitalism.... but want a employment contract hahahahaha

You know what my contract is with my corporation? If I dont like it, Im free to leave! A contract lol... a retroactive contract at that hahahahaha
It’s not apples to apples but the local town police here make $10/hr, and no health insurance, but it’s a small town. Their salary is in line with the local dollar store cashier.
Originally Posted by Ejp1234

A contract? Lmao.... and they probably come on 24/7 flexing their muscles about being patriots, boasting capitalism.... but want a employment contract hahahahaha

You know what my contract is with my corporation? If I dont like it, Im free to leave! A contract lol... a retroactive contract at that hahahahaha

If boasting capitalism while elbowing for the public teat amuses, your sides must truly hurt these days.

This is an old topic for city beat reporters -- the annual best-paid cops/citystaff/teacher etc etc article. Not to lessen the impact, rather to say that similar analytics applied to similar cities will yield similar numbers, for similar reasons. Fire Departments will feature heavily on said list, as will certain city execs.

Your talking out of your rear. I travel the country for work and my largest customer is HQ’d in Bellevue. Zillow and Redfin would say your over embellishing a good bit. Is the Seattle metro area expensive? Sure when considering the “entire” USA, but its ranked 15th of the top 20th of most expensive metro areas.
Originally Posted by overmax
It’s not apples to apples but the local town police here make $10/hr, and no health insurance, but it’s a small town. Their salary is in line with the local dollar store cashier.
That's more like it.
Those contracts are negotiated by folks elected by the citizens. DUUUhhh.

Blackfart couldn't even qualify to be a $10.00 cop, but it would raise his standard of living. Eat you heart out, most people make more than you for a reason. Lots of folks think that all should have the same stuff, they often vote democrat

mike r
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona

If boasting capitalism while elbowing for the public teat amuses, your sides must truly hurt these days.

This is an old topic for city beat reporters -- the annual best-paid cops/citystaff/teacher etc etc article. Not to lessen the impact, rather to say that similar analytics applied to similar cities will yield similar numbers, for similar reasons. Fire Departments will feature heavily on said list, as will certain city execs.

yes cops firemen etc talk as capitalists meanwhile they are more like communists and that includes banks and big companies. they have a lip lock on the govt tit
Cops are like Plumbers. Folks are pissed when they have to call them, because they know it is going to be expensive. Well, it's expensive because there is a price to pay for keeping the Sheet out of your house.
I'm working fore the wrong department. Our union just pushed a two year deferment of a already deferred 2% pay raise. Meanwhile, the California inflation is eating away at my wages.

But not as badly as my wife does.

yes cops firemen etc talk as capitalists meanwhile they are more like communists and that includes banks and big companies. they have a lip lock on the govt tit

LMFAO The anthem of the untermensch.

mike r
Originally Posted by lvmiker

Blackfart couldn't even qualify to be a $10.00 cop, but it would raise his standard of living. Eat you heart out, most people make more than you for a reason. Lots of folks think that all should have the same stuff, they often vote democrat

mike r

Are you insinuating that a civil servant such as a police officer should have more than the average constituent they serve and protect? It would read as if your stating police deserve more than the average bear.

I dont recall electing the police union reps lmao...
Most of it is overtime, and a good portion of that is due to having to appear in court, especially for the swing and graveyard shift guys.

LMFAO The anthem of the untermensch.

mike r

Yup, it would appear you are... then proclaiming superiority over others... huh, do as I say not as I do, and give me lots of your tax dollars to do so, so I can live better than most....

Mighta been your generation thats fugging it up for todays police.... you did a damn good job of instilling a negative view into the common man, and rightfully so.

Now hence the present times...

But what do I know, Im socially inferior hahahaha

mike r

Are you insinuating that a civil servant such as a police officer should have more than the average constituent they serve and protect? It would read as if your stating police deserve more than the average bear.

I dont recall electing the police union reps lmao...

You are LYAO because you don't understand that the unions negotiate w/ elected officials and their appointed bureaucrats. If you can't earn more than a cop or fireman you have less value to society. Your choice, limited only by talent, work ethic and ambition.

#nooneshould have more than me LMAO

mike r

mike r
I made about the same as the local cops but my job required way more talent, skill and training.
Originally Posted by simonkenton7

Working an 8 to 5, probably not. But he likely worked doubles, weekends, and holidays to get to that. Plus, there was a settlement that was added to their 2019 salaries.

You say that as if anyone who works doubles, weekends and holidays in a similar base pay job would get 400K per year.......

But the biggest racket is that in many (most) popo, corrections and firemen's "contracts", the pension is based on the last 4 years of pay . The employees game the system to not only get these eye popping salaries for a few years, but then those create eye popping pensions for the rest of their life.

The number one priority of city and state administrators should be to eliminate the pensions and convert to defined contribution systems. It would eliminate a huge amount of shenanigans.
Originally Posted by Dutch
The number one priority of city and state administrators should be to eliminate the pensions and convert to defined contribution systems. It would eliminate a huge amount of shenanigans.

The city where I lived prior to my post-retirement move did that with certain categories of employees.

Keep in mind that in many states the city administrations have limited power over union relations. State law sets the rules, and there is oversight by a PERB, the public employment relations board. In most cases the state also runs the pension systems, which may or may not interface with bargained contracts. Retirement is often not subject to bargaining.

It's common for city administrations to talk tough, but it's usually political posturing. Moreover, the unions know it.

Paul
Never understood why people bittch about what someone else gets paid. If you think its great pay go get a job there.
I dont see many headed to Seattle to join the popo.
A guy working the counter at a local gun store left his job at the Rigby police. When asked why he said he was only making $14 an hour after some years there and he needed to find a job with benefits.

Bb
Suddenly, I am in favor of defunding the police.

Seriously, that is obscene that they are paid that much. They also retire in their early 50s and continue to get paid. It is an important job but qualified people would do it for much less. This is a good example of unions/collective bargaining run amok.
Originally Posted by mohave_mauler1
Never understood why people bittch about what someone else gets paid. If you think its great pay go get a job there.

This ^^^^^

Is our economy still a capitalistic economy (make what you can as an individual based on your potential and) or has socialism (share the wealth) crept in, even in some "conservative" homes?
Originally Posted by BayouRover
Is our economy still a capitalistic economy (make what you can as an individual) or has socialism (share the wealth) crept in?

WTF??
Ever heard of crony capitalism?
Having a union government employee who's union pays off elected government officials to come up with contracts for the employee is that farthest thing from capitalism.
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem
Is our economy still a capitalistic economy (make what you can as an individual) or has socialism (share the wealth) crept in?

WTF??
Having a union government employee who's union pays off elected government officials to come up with contracts for the employee is that farthest thing from capitalism.

WTF?

Like any other economic system, it can be corrupted and no one has ever said capitalism is perfect. So socialism is the answer?

WTF indeed....
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Cops are like Plumbers. Folks are pissed when they have to call them, because they know it is going to be expensive. Well, it's expensive because there is a price to pay for keeping the Sheet out of your house.

Don't give me that bullschitt. Cops never have had the job of "keeping the Sheet out of your house", and the SCOTUS has ruled at least half a dozen times that they don't. Police investigate crimes and arrest suspects. They have never had the job of preventing anything. It is my job to keep the schitt out of my house. The cops never have had and never will have anything to do with it.

WTF??

WTF?

So socialism is the answer?

WTF indeed....

You dumb fug
Capitalism is each employee committing to a contract with the employer.
Unions and specially government unions is not capitalism. That's socialism/communism

WTF??

WTF?

So socialism is the answer?

WTF indeed....

You dumb fug
Capitalism is each employee committing to a contract with the employer.
Unions and specially government unions is not capitalism. That's socialism/communism

laugh
For all you folks that are still living 10 miles where you were born and grew up and who are bitching and want to make more moneySPD is hiring now Good luck with commuting at least a few hours a day and finding a decent house for under $650,000, high property and sales taxes and constant rain 9 months out of the year.

Just quit your job, sell your house and move your family across the country. Better be able to run at least 5 miles and be in good shape too for the academy. Oh and you'll probably be sued for every arrest and encounter with a citizen spitting in your face with a cell videoing your reaction.

It takes about 15 years now to draw a decent elk and deer tag and most of the fishing seasons have been shut down.

Go for it
Originally Posted by ribka
SPD is hiring now for all the guys on here who are bitching and want to make more money. Good luck with commuting at least a few hours a day and finding a decent house for under $650,000, high property and sales taxes and constant rain 9 months out of the year. It takes about 15 years now to draw a decent elk and deer tag and most of the fishing seasons have been shut down.

Go for it

Amen....
My nieces husband just left SPD to come back here. They’d only been down there 6-9 months. She’s prego, so I’m sure she was stressing over his job.

I shake my head over this stuff How can municipalities afford these type pay arrangements with civil servants ?

Congrats to the folks that can get these high paying jobs & pensions based upon them, but for the life of me I can’t run my calculator fast enough to see how they’re sustainable

As far as cops keepin the sheet out of our houses it’s true to a degree, the more bad guys they lock up the safer each of our homes are. Still it’s accurate that’s largely how they prevent crime. Always figured & hoped if they were gonna investigate a potential crime in my house they’d be investigating me while hauling someone else off to the hospital or morgue 🤷🏻‍♂️
SPD is hiring now for all the guys on here who are bitching and want to make more money.

How can that be? Three days ago they announced they were firing 10% of their police and the chief resigned in disgust.
For all you folks that are still living 10 miles where you were born and grew up and who are bitching and want to make more moneySPD is hiring now Good luck with commuting at least a few hours a day and finding a decent house for under $650,000, high property and sales taxes and constant rain 9 months out of the year.

Just quit your job, sell your house and move your family across the country. Better be able to run at least 5 miles and be in good shape too for the academy. Oh and you'll probably be sued for every arrest and encounter with a citizen spitting in your face with a cell videoing your reaction.

It takes about 15 years now to draw a decent elk and deer tag and most of the fishing seasons have been shut down.

Go for it

Yeah but, yeah but, yeah but....$200,000. Thats more than I make at the lumber yard driving forklift around!!
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
SPD is hiring now for all the guys on here who are bitching and want to make more money.

How can that be? Three days ago they announced they were firing 10% of their police and the chief resigned in disgust.

Are you that dam stupid?
Originally Posted by mohave_mauler1

This ^^^^^

Is our economy still a capitalistic economy (make what you can as an individual based on your potential and) or has socialism (share the wealth) crept in, even in some "conservative" homes?

That is true in the private sector but when it is a public sector job then everyone is paying that wage with their taxes. That is what most people are bitching about (or should be), not how much more they make than some other job that doesn't have anything to do with being a cop, firefighter, school teacher or bureaucrat.
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

I just spoke to a detective friend there is a mass exodus from SPD so they are accepting applications . Sounds like easy money to me.

I guess capitalism guarantees that living in your hometown with no skills and a HS diploma or a liberal arts degree should pay six figures. Ask starman and his toxic white culture lmao
© 24hourcampfire