Home
Back when I was a kid and got my first pair of LL Bean Maine hunting boots (pre Gore-Ted) it was drilled into me that you had to treat your leather boots at least yearly, and twice when they were new. As I reached for the tin of mink oil this morning to treat my new Danners, I got to wondering if this was still a “thing”, or if it’s gone the way of the Dodo along with our fathers and grandfathers?
I hit mine with a little neetsfoot oil when they look thirsty. Same idea though I just picked up a big jug of it that will probably last me years.
I still mink oil my leather hunting boots. Put it on good and thick then let the boots set in the hot sun for a few days. Once a year treatment, about this time of the year.
Just last week I got advise to use toilet wax ring.
That or Obenaufs
I use it on my sjambok.
A mix of sno-pruf and mink oil, then sun til it soaks in/.
Has worked for two generations of LLBean Maine Hunting Shoe-
probably the most effective quiet boot in the woods. Going since about 1912.
Yes, hit some boots up with it just yesterday.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Obenauf's is a far better product.
Originally Posted by stevelyn

Never heard of that. Have to check it out.
I use beeswax and a heat gun. One treatment lasts me a decade.

Old habits die hard but I'll check it out. Thanks.
I used it for years, but don't like how much it softens the leather.
Like you, I have been researching what's best for leather goods. I contacted a bunch of leather holster makers, and got hold of a tannery/ workshop with a good reputation. If I can find the info I'll post my response of what they recommended.
I have a whole gallon of neatsfoot oil, too bad I couldnt give it to someone.

I only wear Mucks for the type of deer hunting I do.
I use a lot of neatsfoot in my sorta saddle shop.

Some of the professionals are using olive oil these days.
Originally Posted by wabigoon

I think those are mostly bees wax. At least they used to be.

The snow seal that I used to use on my hiking/hunting boots repels water well. I've been told that it clogs the pores so they don't breath very good after that.
That seems to make sense, but it's been years.
I used it to make a good rain jacket from an old Korean war cotton field jacket. It breaths some, but nothing like gortex. If I'm not too active, it works like a duck cloth/oil skin drover. I like it.
Ha! Back when I was a wee lad, I worked ever so hard after school scrubbing a saddle with saddle soap. I had that old saddle nice, and brown, and clean. My father then took it to a saddle shop, it came back all oiled up black as coal! laugh
Close. I have been using NOR-V-GEN for about 15 years.
I buy 1 gallon of neatsfoot every few years at TS for $18... gloves and boots, belts, nail pouches, saddles or whatever in the winter with a chip brush soak... practical over pretty.
Sure do. My work boots twice a year.
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper

The snow seal that I used to use on my hiking/hunting boots repels water well. I've been told that it clogs the pores so they don't breath very good after that.
I used it to make a good rain jacket from an old Korean war cotton field jacket. It breaths some, but nothing like gortex. If I'm not too active, it works like a duck cloth/oil skin drover. I like it.

The more it can breathe the less water resistant it is you fugkin' moron.
Originally Posted by shaman

Don't get out much eh?

Yeah.

Rub a toilet ring on your boots so you can save the $4.00 on a can of Sno-Seal.
Originally Posted by shaman

They must be reserved for fetching the mail.

LOL
Ha! Back when I was a wee lad, I worked ever so hard after school scrubbing a saddle with saddle soap. I had that old saddle nice, and brown, and clean. My father then took it to a saddle shop, it came back all oiled up black as coal! laugh

Thats why the pros are using olive oils or other vegetable oils.

It doesn't darken as bad as neatsfoot....or when it does....its more consistent.
My late ex-bro-in-law used mink oil on some hiking boots back in the 70s for waterproofing. It did that, but it also ate the stitching that held the tongue in place. I have no idea what that stitching was, though.
I read somewhere that Nikwax is good, especially if the boots are Gore Tex. I have been using on a pair of Irish Setter boots and have no complaints.

I used mink oil for an awful long time, but once I started using Obenaufs it's all I use.

Obenauf’s Heavy Duty LP here.
My father in law used neats foot oil on his boots. then an "expert" said it would rot the leather from the inside since it could not breath. I found this to be true. I haven't used anything for years because, yeah, I don't get out much.

Charlie
Originally Posted by deflave

NO kidding???
There's trade offs with everything. I just figured someone might want a field use description.
You can wrap yours with plastic bags for all anyone here cares.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I have read that mink oil damages the.leather. I use Obenaufs.
I wear Courtney boots, made in Zim. Combination of cape buff and impala, with a tire tread sole. Courtney sells a care kit that includes a can of their boot wax. Clean the boots and then apply the wax. Buff off excess wax with a soft brush (which is also included in the kit). Works great!

On my Russell boots, I use Obenauf's. Works great on the Russell's. On the Russell Birdshooter boots, be sure to have the dog [bleep] cleaned out of the treads first!

I wouldn’t. They stopped being bees was a long time ago.

Snoseal is one of the worst choices. It last a good 3-4 hours.
Sno-Seal and warm sun:

Originally Posted by deflave

NO kidding???
There's trade offs with everything. I just figured someone might want a field use description.
You can wrap yours with plastic bags for all anyone here cares.

Everyone knows you wrap your foot with the plastic bag, then insert into non-waterproof boot.

At least everyone in our Scout troop in the olden days. Or anyone raised by my parents.

Put them over the boots and they quickly wear a hole in the bottom, rendering them useless.

Obenauf's here also. Just treated two pairs of leather hunting boots last nite.
I've heard of dipping boots in used crank case oil.
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Sno-Seal and warm sun:

Highest and best use of snoseal!

Put it on slippers in the desert. It works!!

smile
I switched from neatsfoot to olive oil a few years ago for horse tack and anything else that needs to be oiled and supple. Not sure if it would be very effective for weatherproofing boots.
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Ditto on the Obenaufs. Boots, belts , slings , knife sheaths and anything leather.
Originally Posted by ironbender
Sno-Seal and warm sun:

smile

You're just a denier!

Get used on the LL Beans, hikers, and hunting boots also.....................since the 1970's for me.

Oil softens mine up too much and as someone else has noted, can rot stitching.

If I had some bear grease I'd mix that with some beeswax and be done with it too.
Gotta have a sign so some Californian wont step there......with his slippers.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Gotta have a sign so some Californian wont step there......with his slippers.

Yard shoes dude, yard shoes.

They're not worn around the house.

Might have shickenpoop on them from the Gulag.
Originally Posted by Hookset
I switched from neatsfoot to olive oil a few years ago for horse tack and anything else that needs to be oiled and supple. Not sure if it would be very effective for weatherproofing boots.

AKK "Sweet Oil” of the 18th century. I have available several types of oils and grease. None a petrochemical product. Do I still mink oil my footwear??? C’mon I occasionally hunt in braintan. I come up with some dandy concoctions for treating my Monroes and mocs.
Ever save any fat from a nice cow elk??

What the hell?

Snake boots for the living room?

Hip waders for high plain deserts?

Dog treats?
Sno-Seal and warm sun:

smile

You're just a denier!

Get used on the LL Beans, hikers, and hunting boots also.....................since the 1970's for me.

If I had some bear grease I'd mix that with some beeswax and be done with it too.

Snoseal is garbage... beeswax is the bomb!
Ballistol
Sno Seal is primarily.....................................beeswax

Tradename:SNO-SEAL™

Article number:1330,1331,1332Q,1333,1333B,1333C,1333D,1333G,1335·

1.2 Relevant identified uses of the substance or mixture and uses advised against
No further relevant information available.·

Application of the substance/ the mixture Beeswax Based Waterproofing for Leather Boots & Shoes

https://cdnimages.opentip.com/Docs/EQU/SNO-SEAL.pdf

No need to tell me, there are some petro distillates in it too.

What's in Obenauf's???..............................SDS says................trade secrets......................mmmmmnn?

Their website says beeswax and propolis and "natural leather conditioning oil", could that be????? Neatsfoot? Mineral oil? Vegetable oil?

Whatever "distillates" in SnoSeal are, they apparently evaporate/dissipate in the warm sun and just leave the wax.

I suppose I could just heat up that block of beeswax I've got out in the shop and try to apply it while still warm. But after having decent success with SnoSeal for 40+ years, I suppose I'll keep using it.

Suits my purposes. Of course, I don't live in AK. But it worked pretty good during the year I lived in SE. And the two years in NW PA, and the 8 years in Humboldt County (60" of rain there a year, not the 12" we have here).

I don't walk around in swamps or muskeg much, if I did I'd probably use some rubber boots and keep the leather ones at home.

The good thing about America................we can all choose how we wish.
Bbassi: Yes I use it from time to time on new boots and for conditioning older/used boots.
I am getting low in the tin of it though - I wonder if they still make it?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
I used it for years, but don't like how much it softens the leather.
Like you, I have been researching what's best for leather goods. I contacted a bunch of leather holster makers, and got hold of a tannery/ workshop with a good reputation. If I can find the info I'll post my response of what they recommended.

Question posed the custom holster makers, etc:

"Do you know of and recommend anything for veg tanned leather that I don't want to soften? Ie. vintage bridle leather and veg tanned belts and holsters that need to retain stiffness for functional support. I've ruined too many fine belts with oil more than neglect."

Weaver Leathercraft responded.
I was informed to use this on leather jackets. I haven't gotten a response about whether or not it softens boots, belts, and holsters.

PS: One custom holster Craftsman, one of the top who uses exotic hides too, recommends no leather treatment whatsoever other than wiping it off with a damp cloth if dirty. He doesn't speak to boots, but if they become very pliable, you lose support.

https://www.weaverleathersupply.com...eather-care/oil-conditioners/conditioner
I have no affiliation with them, but plan to buy this when I get around to it. The YouTube channel is beyond exceptional.
I'm a leatherworker (Tango_Alpha_Leather_Goods on Instagram if you want to see my work) and I find some of the responses here, umm, interesting.
I use 100% pure neatsfoot oil on most of my goods, along with olive oil on occasion if I'm in the house and don't want to go out to th he shop to get the neatsfoot oil.
I've used Obenauf's on my boots in the past, but it's some messy stuff. I may look into this Sno Seal stuff and see what it does and if it's any kind of miracle or not.
I've always used Sno Seal with good results.

I put my boots in the oven to heat them up then just rub it in. Once a year, usually beginning of winter.
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
I'm a leatherworker (Tango_Alpha_Leather_Goods on Instagram if you want to see my work) and I find some of the responses here, umm, interesting.
I use 100% pure neatsfoot oil on most of my goods, along with olive oil on occasion if I'm in the house and don't want to go out to th he shop to get the neatsfoot oil.
I've used Obenauf's on my boots in the past, but it's some messy stuff. I may look into this Sno Seal stuff and see what it does and if it's any kind of miracle or not.

Good to hear of your work.
Ill check that out.
I've had two issues with my good vintage bridle leather belts and a few other leather goods.
1. Mold during storage
2. What to use for holsters, belts and vegetable tanned leather that I want to retain stiffness but prevent dry rot.

Is neats foot oil the proper treatment for care/conditioning of those leathers?

Triggernosis,

Nice looking 1911 and revolver holsters.👍
I use a bowl wax.
I posted back around the beginning of the year when I was having trouble finding any mink oil.

Finally found a shop doing custom leather stuff that had it.

From dabbling with holster making I learned that the leather is molded to shape wet (with a plug or dummy).
Wax is then applied (impregnated into the leather) to help stiffen and retain shape
The wax should be towards the parifin end of the spectrum for more stiffness.

I think neetsfoot is for things you want to be flexible. I was taught to use it on the hinge of a baseball glove.

Lanolin is ok for shoes....and case lube.
The unique lube tin says you can use it on shoes too..
i use sno proof on my all leather footwear. it darkens the leather some but it makes it last a long time. i have a pair of rockies from 1996 that are still in good shape with a yearly coat.

Originally Posted by hanco
I use a bowl wax.

Which actually is just beeswax mixed with mineral oil so it would work nicely
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Sno-Seal and warm sun:

smile

You're just a denier!

Snoseal is perfect waterproofer in the desert! wink

No miracle. But some of us not living in AK find it usefull, and cheaper than the Obenauf's.

I've got boots over 15 years old that I still wear and other than some Kiwi brown polish on them when they were used for work, it's all they've had on them.
Sno-Seal and warm sun:

smile

You're just a denier!

Snoseal is perfect waterproofer in the desert! wink

Yep, Southeast AK, NW PA, and Humboldt County are deserts. Rightyoh.
On occasion

Yep.
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Ditto on the Obenaufs. Boots, belts , slings , knife sheaths and anything leather.

Obensufs - wax and liquid, I’ve had excellent waterproofing on my Kenetreks over five years of moderately hard use. Did a pair last weekend, and another pair to do this weekend.

I used Sno Seal growing up in the NW, but it didn’t seem seal as well for me - could have been user error.
Originally Posted by 450Fuller
A mix of sno-pruf and mink oil, then sun til it soaks in/.
Has worked for two generations of LLBean Maine Hunting Shoe-
probably the most effective quiet boot in the woods. Going since about 1912.

Truth. Killed a lot of deer wearing those wonderful boots sneaking in the forests of East Texas.
I use a lot of neatsfoot in my sorta saddle shop.

Some of the professionals are using olive oil these days.

Olive oil rots and leaves a smell.
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
I have read that mink oil damages the.leather. I use Obenaufs.

Mink oil rots.
Thats why I kill minks.
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
I posted back around the beginning of the year when I was having trouble finding any mink oil.

Finally found a shop doing custom leather stuff that had it.

From dabbling with holster making I learned that the leather is molded to shape wet (with a plug or dummy).
Wax is then applied (impregnated into the leather) to help stiffen and retain shape
The wax should be towards the parifin end of the spectrum for more stiffness.

I think neetsfoot is for things you want to be flexible. I was taught to use it on the hinge of a baseball glove.

Lanolin is ok for shoes....and case lube.
The unique lube tin says you can use it on shoes too..

Dupont has Iso-paraffin in their chain lube. I have used it on boots after I mixed it with black Kiwi shoe polish. The carrier in the chain lube is a strong solvent but it very quickly evaporates away leaving the paraffin mixed with the Kiwi shoe polish. It's not perfect but the boots shine up nice and repel water.

kwg
I lost a jar of Obenaufs and found it a few years later. It smelled rotten like old spoiled cooking oil. I thought it was supposed to be something like beeswax.

Called them up and no. Told to open lid and heat in a microwave. If it still smelled like rotten veggie oil to chunk it. I did. Ill use beeswax.
My Dad was born in 1900. I remember he bought horse harnesses in 1943 and was told they were 10 years old when purchased. I remember about 1948 Dad told me we were going to oil the harnesses to keep them supple. He warmed and mixed beeswax and Neatsfoot oil. We spent about two days disassembling, applying by hand, flexing the leather, rubbing in that mixture and reassembling the harnesses. I later learned those harnesses were oiled about every year. By 1955 the horses were gone but those harnesses still hung in the barn the last time I was there about ten years ago. Though stiffened the leather was not cracking. That's a 77 year history. I have no way of knowing whether the Neatsfoot oil of then is the same as now but the beeswax sure is.
That same concoction has been mixed and applied to our leather boots over the years. At age 80 I just buy Goretex lined or rubber boots.
Yes.
Nikiwax isl like breathable rain gear Fine as long as it doesn’t get wet. Just did a caribou hunt with both. 3 days of rain

Boots had 3 apps Nikiwax. Soaked thru eve day 1. “Rain gear” laundered and retreated surface lasted another day. 3 caribou not bulletproof

So much for “partly cloudy”
Originally Posted by las
Nikiwax isl like breathable rain gear Fine as long as it doesn’t get wet. Just did a caribou hunt with both. 3 days of rain

Boots had 3 apps Nikiwax. Soaked thru eve day 1. “Rain gear” laundered and retreated surface lasted another day. 3 caribou not bulletproof

Good on the 'bou. Meat for the winter.

So, the take away is DON'T use Nikwax?

Should have used..................SnoSeal?

A toilet ring? Rendered seal fat?
Originally Posted by bbassi
Back when I was a kid and got my first pair of LL Bean Maine hunting boots (pre Gore-Ted) it was drilled into me that you had to treat your leather boots at least yearly, and twice when they were new. As I reached for the tin of mink oil this morning to treat my new Danners, I got to wondering if this was still a “thing”, or if it’s gone the way of the Dodo along with our fathers and grandfathers?

Yes.
Thats why I kill minks.

Do you also kill neets for their foot oil?
Yikes!
He might even kill a nauga or two for their hides.
Originally Posted by las

Good on the 'bou. Meat for the winter.

So, the take away is DON'T use Nikwax?

Should have used..................SnoSeal?

A toilet ring? Rendered seal fat?
The take away might be to wear rubber or Gore-Tex lined boots next time.
Yikes!
He might even kill a nauga or two for their hides.

Naugs deserve it.
I started using Obenauf's when I bought my first pair of White's boots. White's recommended it over mink oil or other boot grease. Great stuff, I usually heat it up a little and apply it, let the boots sit overnight on boot driers, and I'm good to go.
Thats why I kill minks.

Do you also kill neets for their foot oil?

I aint got no time for no neats!

Nor their foots.

I will happily consume their fleshes however.
Forgot my xtratuffs!!!

Once dry I’ll hit the leathers with some Obendirfs that I have. I think I have tried that before too, with like results. I’ve used sno seal before with satisfaction, if applied often enough certainly more than 2x yearly.

But I think screw the goretex stuff next pair of boots - just go straight leather and beeswax - without the beer drinking I did last time I tried that......... the operation was successful but the patient died
Originally Posted by Rug3
My Dad was born in 1900. I remember he bought horse harnesses in 1943 and was told they were 10 years old when purchased. I remember about 1948 Dad told me we were going to oil the harnesses to keep them supple. He warmed and mixed beeswax and Neatsfoot oil. We spent about two days disassembling, applying by hand, flexing the leather, rubbing in that mixture and reassembling the harnesses. I later learned those harnesses were oiled about every year. By 1955 the horses were gone but those harnesses still hung in the barn the last time I was there about ten years ago. Though stiffened the leather was not cracking. That's a 77 year history. I have no way of knowing whether the Neatsfoot oil of then is the same as now but the beeswax sure is.
That same concoction has been mixed and applied to our leather boots over the years. At age 80 I just buy Goretex lined or rubber boots.

Neatsfoot oil is synovial fluid from the hooves of cows. Same today as 1900...
Sno Seal is primarily.....................................beeswax

Tradename:SNO-SEAL™

Article number:1330,1331,1332Q,1333,1333B,1333C,1333D,1333G,1335·

1.2 Relevant identified uses of the substance or mixture and uses advised against
No further relevant information available.·

Application of the substance/ the mixture Beeswax Based Waterproofing for Leather Boots & Shoes

https://cdnimages.opentip.com/Docs/EQU/SNO-SEAL.pdf

No need to tell me, there are some petro distillates in it too.

What's in Obenauf's???..............................SDS says................trade secrets......................mmmmmnn?

Their website says beeswax and propolis and "natural leather conditioning oil", could that be????? Neatsfoot? Mineral oil? Vegetable oil?

Whatever "distillates" in SnoSeal are, they apparently evaporate/dissipate in the warm sun and just leave the wax.

I suppose I could just heat up that block of beeswax I've got out in the shop and try to apply it while still warm. But after having decent success with SnoSeal for 40+ years, I suppose I'll keep using it.

Suits my purposes. Of course, I don't live in AK. But it worked pretty good during the year I lived in SE. And the two years in NW PA, and the 8 years in Humboldt County (60" of rain there a year, not the 12" we have here).

I don't walk around in swamps or muskeg much, if I did I'd probably use some rubber boots and keep the leather ones at home.

The good thing about America................we can all choose how we wish.

Snoseal does not leave just beeswax in the leather. The finished boot is very different from simple beeswaxed leather. In truly wet conditions it fails on the first day...
Originally Posted by las

Congrats on the caribou.
I too, prefer pure neatsfoot oil on boots and saddles. But...I have been using Dr. Naylors udder balm as well for years , especially on my winter boots after a good oiling.
Originally Posted by rem141r
i use sno proof on my all leather footwear. it darkens the leather some but it makes it last a long time. i have a pair of rockies from 1996 that are still in good shape with a yearly coat.

If you still have a pair or Rockies from 1996, you've worn them twice.
Originally Posted by las

The Nikwax has worked okay for me, but I will say that if it's really wet I go straight to rubber boots. I doubt any of the products mentioned on this thread will stand up to continuous soaking.

It would be cool to have those harnesses.

Grandpa didn't save his.

He wasn't sentimental I guess. He did however save his old coal miners hat.
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go
Originally Posted by las

The Nikwax has worked okay for me, but I will say that if it's really wet I go straight to rubber boots. I doubt any of the products mentioned on this thread will stand up to continuous soaking.
And you might as well just go to rubber boots because if you seal a leather boot with enough beeswax to make it truly waterproof it no longer breathes at all, just like a rubber boot. Of course if you need ankle support and waterproof and still want breatheability, that's where Gore-Tex comes in.
Have EEEE feet, rubber boots are impossible to find. Leather boots and a toilet ring work well, but makes the boots greasy.
Originally Posted by jaguartx
I lost a jar of Obenaufs and found it a few years later. It smelled rotten like old spoiled cooking oil. I thought it was supposed to be something like beeswax.

Called them up and no. Told to open lid and heat in a microwave. If it still smelled like rotten veggie oil to chunk it. I did. Ill use beeswax.

The same happened to me with an unopened can of mink oil. It was setting on the shelf for a couple of years. I think that any vegetable or animal based oil turns rancid/ oxidizes eventually without an antioxidant preservative. Dr. Wallach told me that he doesn't recommend any oils for frying or dressing because they start oxidizing from the hour the olives or seeds are picked and processed.

I just would like to know if the same rotten odor happens when a fresh coat is applied?
I've never noticed the boots or belts smell that way.

The same happened to me with an unopened can of mink oil. It was setting on the shelf for a couple of years. I think that any vegetable or animal based oil turns rancid/ oxidizes eventually without an antioxidant preservative. Dr. Wallach told me that he doesn't recommend any oils for frying or dressing because they start oxidizing from the hour the olives or seeds are picked and processed.

I just would like to know if the same rotten odor happens when a fresh coat is applied?

Who is Dr. Wallach?

Who is Dr. Wallach?

Do you mink oil boot polishers also smoke a pipe and wear a fedora while you're pretending it's 1954?

Who is Dr. Wallach?

LMAO! Good one jag!

Neatsfoot oil is synovial fluid from the hooves of cows. Same today as 1900...

Sitka deer
Thanks for that bit of information. I have wondered for years what it is. Amazing what a man can learn on the campfire. There's always someone who knows something that I don't. Fun.
Appreciated.
Jim
© 24hourcampfire