Home
Sorry, I had to go there...

...I use it.
Best yep love it
YES
Never heard of it

Mama whooped my ass if I stepped in a mud puddle.

All I use.
I dont. Bastids wouldnt exchange an old $20 tub that rotted. Smelled like rancid vegetable oil so strong it bothered my asthma. Dayom i hated to throw it away.
Gal on the phone said heat it in the microwave. If it still stank, chunk it.
Real beeswax for me now.
Anybody ever heard of Gore-Tex ? Great stuff. Eliminates the need to waterproof leather boots. I don't buy boots without it anymore. My Gore-Tex work boots have been worn every day for 2 years and are still 100% waterproof.
All I use, too

None of your beeswax!
I use both the thick greasy Obenaufs that goes on like gooey beeswax and the oil version that comes with the brush on applicator. Both are just excellent. Even brought some holster, knife sheath and saddle leather back to life with that stuff.

Gotta admit though, for footwear there no substitute for walking on marshy, boggy, wet ground than rubber boots. No amount of any kind of leather seal on footwear will close that gap.
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Anybody ever heard of Gore-Tex ? Great stuff. Eliminates the need to waterproof leather boots. I don't buy boots without it anymore. My Gore-Tex work boots have been worn every day for 2 years and are still 100% waterproof.

Water gets into the leather and it stretches. Also when Gore-tex gets dirty it stops working. All leather is virtually waterproof indoors...
Originally Posted by jaguartx
I dont. Bastids wouldnt exchange an old $20 tub that rotted. Smelled like rancid vegetable oil so strong it bothered my asthma. Dayom i hated to throw it away.
Gal on the phone said heat it in the microwave. If it still stank, chunk it.
Real beeswax for me now.

BS
Once every two years wether they need it or not.
[

In the mountains gore tex will not hold up. Dirt makes it not work. Constant flexing of the boot makes it not work. But if you spend all your time in a truck,,,,,,
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Water gets into the leather and it stretches. Also when Gore-tex gets dirty it stops working. All leather is virtually waterproof indoors...
My Gore-Tex deer hunting boots have been through 8 seasons and are still completely waterproof. They are in the woods daylight to dark through wet snow, swamps and several small creeks daily throughout the season. Leather stretch is not a concern as the cordura is impervious to water. If anybody hasn't tried a good pair of Gore-Tex boots in recent years they really should do so and quit living in the past with leather and exterior waterproofing procedures. As to the uninformed and usual idiotic Sitka Dummy "indoors" statement. I wear my Gore-Tex work boots virtually every day. Every morning they are on my feet when I take the dogs for a walk through the dew covered grass. In the evenings they go fishing in the muck along the edge of my favorite bass pond. In the fall they go squirrel, turkey and grouse hunting. My feet never get wet.
Originally Posted by callnum
[

In the mountains gore tex will not hold up. Dirt makes it not work. Constant flexing of the boot makes it not work. But if you spend all your time in a truck,,,,,,
There are mountains and dirt around here too dip shyt. I don't own a truck and likely hunt and likely spend more time outdoors than most here.
There is a reason the high end boot companies don't use gore tex. By high end I mean $400 plus, not your Danners.
[

There are mountains and dirt around here too dip shyt.

Ya but you have to get out of the truck. Eastern tenderfeet,,sheesh.

I mean real mountains, 8-10,000 footers.
[

Said by a dumbass who's likely never been here.
[

Said by a dumbass who's likely never been here.

Its where I live, tenderfoot.

My Gore-Tex deer hunting boots have been through 8 seasons and are still completely waterproof. They are in the woods daylight to dark through wet snow, swamps and several small creeks daily throughout the season. Leather stretch is not a concern as the cordura is impervious to water. If anybody hasn't tried a good pair of Gore-Tex boots in recent years they really should do so and quit living in the past with leather and exterior waterproofing procedures. As to the uninformed and usual idiotic Sitka Dummy "indoors" statement. I wear my Gore-Tex work boots virtually every day. Every morning they are on my feet when I take the dogs for a walk through the dew covered grass. In the evenings they go fishing in the muck along the edge of my favorite bass pond. In the fall they go squirrel, turkey and grouse hunting. My feet never get wet.

Cool story, bro!
There is a reason the high end boot companies don't use gore tex. By high end I mean $400 plus, not your Danners.
My hunting boots are Irish Setters.

Please... do continue... especially the part about the dewy grass... it sounds so wild! Can you see the mountains from there?

I use Obenauf’s on my boots with Gore-Tex to condition and preserve the leather, not to make them waterproof.
Originally Posted by ironbender

Cool story, bro!
Said as you sit on your computer just like me and judging by your post count you are there more than I am, as is Sitka Dummy.
It does not work as a cover scent at all. I'd use fox pee instead.
Yes, works well.

Please... do continue... especially the part about the dewy grass... it sounds so wild! Can you see the mountains from there?
I'm on a mountain ass hole. Dew covered grass is the same here as anywhere. So is the water in the creeks and swamps.

Laffin, try come good boots. Kenetrek, Meindl, Schnees, Lowe, etc.

Doesn't K Mart sell Irish Setters?

Dew covered grass, and muck around a pond sound like harsh conditions.

[

There are mountains and dirt around here too dip shyt. I don't own a truck and likely hunt and likely spend more time outdoors than most here.

Millennial's know everything, dum-bass.

Cool story, bro!
Said as you sit on your computer, just like me.,

So, how many brown bear hunts have you been on? Because I know IB has been on more than a few. Caribou? Moose? Horseback hunts? Black bear, you must have hunted them? You do realize those sorts of hunts are not like walking into your deer stand and being home in time for breakfast...

How many Irish Setter boots say "made in China?"
"So, how many brown bear hunts have you been on? Because I know IB has been on more than a few. Caribou? Moose? Horseback hunts? Black bear, you must have hunted them? You do realize those sorts of hunts are not like walking into your deer stand and being home in time for breakfast..."

How many times have you hunted the Adirondaks?

Last I knew water is water everywhere. If you have conflicting information lets hear it.
Originally Posted by Raeford
"So, how many brown bear hunts have you been on? Because I know IB has been on more than a few. Caribou? Moose? Horseback hunts? Black bear, you must have hunted them? You do realize those sorts of hunts are not like walking into your deer stand and being home in time for breakfast..."

My first year of college was at SUNY Plattsburgh and I have family all through there. I climbed a bunch of the higher mountains there.

Direct answer... a bunch...

My first year of college was at SUNY Plattsburgh and I have family all through there. I climbed a bunch of the higher mountains there.

Did you hunt them in tennis shoes?

Cool story, bro!

So, how many brown bear hunts have you been on? Because I know IB has been on more than a few. Caribou? Moose? Horseback hunts? Black bear, you must have hunted them? You do realize those sorts of hunts are not like walking into your deer stand and being home in time for breakfast...
Are you trying to say water is "wetter" in Alaska than anywhere else ? Lets hear it Sitka Dummy. Let's hear how much wetter the creeks and swamps and snow are in Alaska. I have stood ankle deep in swamp water all day in my Gore -Tex boots and my feet were still dry at the end of the day but surely it would have been different if the swamp was full of that super wet Alaskan water right ? What a dip shyt.
I’ve always had good luck with field mouse piss mixed with road tar that’s melted into the boot leather. It lasts forever and works great as both a scent hider and a water repelling agent……….

The only downsides I’ve ever noticed are:

1. It takes on the average about 1437 filed mice to gather enough piss to do the job effectively.

2. You need to have a welder friend with a torch to get it melted into your boots really well.

3. The combination is most effectively melted into your boots if you have them on at the time your welder friend does the melting. It makes the boots more flexible to wear rather than sitting them in a corner for a few days after the treatment.

Cool story, bro!
Said as you sit on your computer just like me and judging by your post count you are there more than I am, as is Sitka Dummy.
You two hard chargers take your computer out hunting with you ? Seems like that super wet Alaska water would fuuck them up.
Originally Posted by Poconojack

I use Obenauf’s on my boots with Gore-Tex to condition and preserve the leather, not to make th m waterproof.

This.

Is "boot snob" a usable term?
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123

I use Obenauf’s on my boots with Gore-Tex to condition and preserve the leather, not to make th m waterproof.

This.
I use Obenauf's too.
Originally Posted by BayouRover

Is "boot snob" a usable term?
That stupid fuuck doesn't know what he's talking about as Kennetrek, Meindl and Schnees all use Gore-Tex or Sympatex {same type waterproof membrane} liners in their waterproof boots.
That's not what makes them waterproof tenderfoot. Stick to your Kmart Setters.
I use it on my Meindl Denali's to keep the GoreTex dry.
They wouldn't put it in there for any other reason than to waterproof. K-Mart doesn't sell Irish Setter's either. Again proving you don't know what you're talking about.

Logging/work boots don’t have gore tex. I’m talking whites, Nicks, Franks. Leather needs conditioned. The type of boots you speak of won’t last a month in the mountains and timber

No, but sadly I did not know about beeswax at the time. I spent a lot of time using a lot of different versions of water-proofing. Including Sno-Seal, which is exactly how and why I can call it garbage. I have also owned and worn lots of Gore-Tex lined boots. It is a lot of experience over decades.
Originally Posted by PJ65

Logging/work boots don’t have gore tex. I’m talking whites, Nicks, Franks. Leather needs conditioned. The type of boots you speak of won’t last a month in the mountains and timber
Funny a good pair will last for years in the mountains/timber/wet/snow here.

No, but sadly I did not know about beeswax at the time. I spent a lot of time using a lot of different versions of water-proofing. Including Sno-Seal, which is exactly how and why I can call it garbage. I have also owned and worn lots of Gore-Tex lined boots. It is a lot of experience over decades.
Gore -Tex boots have improved a bunch over the years as companies improved construction. I've used them since the beginning and waterproof longevity has improved greatly.
https://m.kmart.com/search=Irish%20setters
Originally Posted by PJ65

Funny a good pair will last for years in the mountains/timber/wet/snow here.

San Fran?
You can order a lot of stuff online that they don't carry in the stores these days.

Cool story, bro!

Are you trying to say water is "wetter" in Alaska than anywhere else ? Lets hear it Sitka Dummy. Let's hear how much wetter the creeks and swamps and snow are in Alaska. I have stood ankle deep in swamp water all day in my Gore -Tex boots and my feet were still dry at the end of the day but surely it would have been different if the swamp was full of that super wet Alaskan water right ? What a dip shyt.

Why are you trying to put your words in my statement? I never said anything like AK water is wetter. So let me say what I am implying, as others have, too.And I will not even call you names because what I am about to say is so obvious the facts and the telling should be plenty embarrassing enough.

It is obvious to anyone with any time in leather boots, especially ordinary brands like your vaunted Irish Setters, they soak up water like a sponge. If you have Gore-Tex liners your feet may be dry, but your boot leather will stretch and you will slip and slide in them. That is plain Physics, period.

You appear to have missed the phenomenon while playing in your puddles and dewy grass.

Ergo, you have not truly tested them.

If you try to fall back on only being interested in dry feet, not comfort you are way out there. If you have not had your Gore-Tex fail you are clearly not getting any use out of them...
Obenauf’s is what I use and have always been happy with it as a conditioner. Gore Tex or not I like to keep my leather gear conditioned.
All I use to condition the leather. Part of the annual deep cleaning of my Russells.

Wrong...again. Lots of GTX boots in the big mountains used by serious people. A few: Scarpa Mont Blanc GTX, La Sportiva Nepal Evo, Arc'Teryx Acrux AR. Goretex is a key component in many serious boots and has been used for a long time because it works.

mike r
They wouldn't put it in there for any other reason than to waterproof. K-Mart doesn't sell Irish Setter's either. Again proving you don't know what you're talking about.

Actually, they put the Gore-Tex in to allow the water vapor to leave your feet and socks to keep them drier... If you actually wore boots hard you would know what sweaty feet are...

Actually, they put the Gore-Tex in to allow the water vapor to leave your feet and socks to keep them drier... If you actually wore boots hard you would know what sweaty feet are...

This is the best feature of the gortex lining in my experience. Mostly why I buy boots with it.
As for GTX and waterproof. Kokotat makes drysuits w/ Goretex, used worldwide and by the US Military. Must work.

mike r

Cool story, bro!

Why are you trying to put your words in my statement? I never said anything like AK water is wetter. So let me say what I am implying, as others have, too.And I will not even call you names because what I am about to say is so obvious the facts and the telling should be plenty embarrassing enough.

It is obvious to anyone with any time in leather boots, especially ordinary brands like your vaunted Irish Setters, they soak up water like a sponge. If you have Gore-Tex liners your feet may be dry, but your boot leather will stretch and you will slip and slide in them. That is plain Physics, period.

You appear to have missed the phenomenon while playing in your puddles and dewy grass.

Ergo, you have not truly tested them.

If you try to fall back on only being interested in dry feet, not comfort you are way out there. If you have not had your Gore-Tex fail you are clearly not getting any use out of them...
What a dip shyt. Any leather boot that is sealed well enough with wax to be truly waterproof is not going to breathe at all, just like a rubber boot. Hence your feet will sweat under exertion and stay wet and clammy, just like in a rubber boot. I hunted for years in waxed leather boots and suffered wet clammy feet. Then I smartened up and and switched to Gore-Tex. There is no going back.
Originally Posted by lvmiker

Wrong...again. Lots of GTX boots in the big mountains used by serious people. A few: Scarpa Mont Blanc GTX, La Sportiva Nepal Evo, Arc'Teryx Acrux AR. Goretex is a key component in many serious boots and has been used for a long time because it works.

mike r
Imagine that !
Stick to your Kmart setters in dewy grass, you will be fine.
Originally Posted by crittrgittr
YES
Obenauf's - good on macaroni, too.

I use Obenauf’s on my boots with Gore-Tex to condition and preserve the leather, not to make them waterproof.

This.

Same here.

It appears that thought never occurred to the abhorrent cordura guy. smile
Originally Posted by SKane

This.

Same here.

If you mean me you need to read closer. I've probably used Obenauf's longer than most here to preserve leather goods.
Stick to your Kmart setters in dewy grass, you will be fine.
My setters came from a local shoe store.

Yep zaxtly.

Some people get in a lather over weird stuff around here!
All I ever use on mine. Good stuff.

This.

Same here.

If you mean me you need to read closer. I've probably used Obenauf's longer than most here to preserve leather goods.

And no one, prior to your original comment, referenced waterproofing. You went there all on your own.
It's Friday so we'll let that slide. laugh

This.

Same here.

And no one, prior to your original comment, referenced waterproofing. You went there all on your own.
It's Friday so we'll let that slide. laugh

Because there are several other threads going right now about waterproofing leather boots I wanted those stuck in the past to know there's a good, modern alternative that works.
© 24hourcampfire