Home
Prior to last Monday, never in my life had I heard the term Derecho. I sure as f@ck know what it means now. 12 red and white oaks down in the back. And a previously very tall hickory laying across the house in the front.

10 million acres of crops in Iowa laying flat. Fun times....

Attached picture trees.JPG
Nice mess there. Hope you can find a pro who won't get killed.
Stihl.
Two Stihls have been working overtime. Might have to buy a husky for a side by side comparison, get back to the fire with my review. Probably have to drive to Minnesota to find one.
Looks like you’ll get your money’s worth. That pile looks mean.

NG fur me........
“Prior to last Monday, never in my life had I heard the term Derecho”

Yeah???? Me either! I always thought it meant “right” in spanish.

But what do I know???
Originally Posted by JohnGlenn
Two Stihls have been working overtime. Might have to buy a husky for a side by side comparison, get back to the fire with my review. Probably have to drive to Minnesota to find one.

Que... battery powered chainsaw aficionados
Prior to last Monday, never in my life had I heard the term Derecho. I sure as f@ck know what it means now. 12 red and white oaks down in the back. And a previously very tall hickory laying across the house in the front.

Looks like a heck of a mess. Best of luck to you and please be safe.
I cut firewood for a living, and a good one it is. I cut alot of standing dead trees and blowdown. Blowdown is always the most dangerous work with a power saw, spring loaded and wind shook.
Too bad its on your property, it looks like a nice spot there.
I never heard that word before, Derecho....nope.
Translations of derecho
adjective
right
derecho, justo, correcto, recto, apropiado, bueno
straight
recto, derecho, hetero, erguido, en orden, honrado
erect
erguido, derecho, erecto, vertical, montado, encandilado
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Translations of derecho
adjective
right
derecho, justo, correcto, recto, apropiado, bueno
straight
recto, derecho, hetero, erguido, en orden, honrado
erect
erguido, derecho, erecto, vertical, montado, encandilado

See! See!!!

(Remember when we called ‘em straight line winds?)
Had several dead, dying and just all around [bleep] trees and everyone them are still proudly standing. Also lost more white oaks than anything else. Would have rather lost the reds. After I got the hickory off the front of the house and the roof patched up I checked out from chainsawing for the day. The backyard can wait, that [bleep] aint going no wheres. It is sad though...lots of nice old trees bit the dust last Monday.
Same offer stands for the Bluegrass region of Guntucky. All the Ash you want, you cut you haul. Most of it is down, blocking my trails & chit. Bring beer. Hell, clear my trails & I furnish the beer.
Yeah. Personally I wish everyone would stop using that gay @$$ word and just call it straight line winds. Inland hurricane doesn't make much sense to me either.
I have heard of derechio before and i have plenty of stoce wood but thanks

I like meso scale convective complex etter, it doesnt sound like a beaner weatherman
Good thing that hickory or others aren't on the house.
That's a huge swath of wind. Is what did that the trade wind that somehow hits the ground?

If so, the weatherman was calling them " microbursts."
I had one turn my forest section into a football field once.
Stihl has been better than Husqvarna for me.

I have cut up so many trees over the past 15 years I have worn out a cheap Poulan, a better Husqvarna, and am now working with a Stihl Wood Boss.

The Stihl has been much less trouble for me than the Husqy, but is probably a level up, not quite one of their commercial grade, but still good.
Had 16 trees in my backyard in 06 when i bought the place.
Down to 4 now.
They need to go also.
Just trouble and ball busting work waiting to happen.
One in the front yard the ole lady likes.
I fugging hate it...

Need ta call this spring and get the pig fugga trimmed down again.

Gonna go full blown retard on it this time.
Lower limbs gone for about 15 ft up.
Top bobbed down at least 20.....

Hate that fugging tree.....
Originally Posted by renegade50

If you do that she's gonna make you mow the front yard too.
Our daughter in Cedar Rapids has a mess.

It's anyone's guess when the power comes back.
Stihl is overated
Originally Posted by PJ65
Stihl is overated

Stihl rocks!!
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Originally Posted by renegade50

If you do that she's gonna make you mow the front yard too.

I had done about 6 7 yrs ago.
She didnt complain.
Do it before green up in the spring.
Originally Posted by roundoak
Stihl is overated

Stihl rocks!!

Fish on!!!!!
I had to look it up.

A derecho (/dəˈreɪtʃoʊ/, from Spanish: derecho [deˈɾetʃo], "straight" as in direction) is a widespread, long-lived, straight-line wind storm that is associated with a fast-moving group of severe thunderstorms known as a mesoscale convective system[1] and potentially rivaling hurricanic and tornadic forces.

Derechos can cause hurricane-force winds, tornadoes, heavy rains, and flash floods. In many cases, convection-induced winds take on a bow echo (backward "C") form of squall line, often forming beneath an area of diverging upper tropospheric winds, and in a region of both rich low-level moisture and warm-air advection. Derechos move rapidly in the direction of movement of their associated storms, similar to an outflow boundary (gust front), except that the wind remains sustained for a greater period of time (often increasing in strength after onset), and may exceed hurricane-force. A derecho-producing convective system may remain active for many hours and, occasionally, over multiple days.

A warm-weather phenomenon, derechos occur mostly in summer, especially during June, July, and August in the Northern Hemisphere, within areas of moderately strong instability and moderately strong vertical wind shear. However, derechos may occur at any time of the year, and can occur as frequently at night as during the day.

Various studies since the 1980s have shed light on the physical processes responsible for the production of widespread damaging winds by thunderstorms. In addition, it has become apparent that the most damaging derechos are associated with particular types of mesoscale convective systems that are self-perpetuating (meaning that the convective systems are not strongly dependent on the larger-scale meteorological processes such as those associated with blizzard-producing winter storms and strong cold fronts). In addition, the term "derecho" sometimes is misapplied to convectively generated wind events that are not particularly well-organized or long-lasting. For these reasons, a more precise, physically based definition of "derecho" has been introduced within the meteorological community.[2]
Chainsaw and battery powered should never be in the same sentence.

Stihl or go home
I would sure like to come up there and get some of that oak. If you weren't so far away I would do it. I have a Stihl and a Husqvarna. I cut a lot of firewood and I like oak.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

10 million acres? Surely that's a bit over exaggerated, that's like 40% of crop acres in Iowa.
Firewood is like work. That’s all the heat we had at home. I had to get up early, get it going on cold days. Thank goodness we didn’t have that many down here.
Stihl is overated

Stihl rocks!!

Fish on!!!!!

I drive Ford trucks, too. laugh
Stihl is overated

Stihl rocks!!

Fish on!!!!!

I drive Ford trucks, too. laugh

Awesome!

Chevy and Stihl. They’re for girls
Originally Posted by FishinHank

Stihl or go home
It's like comparing a Ford Ranger to an F350. Battery saws are very useful and they have their place but for heavy duty cutting, you need a good gas saw.

Local weather critters called it a "Meteo-Sunami" when it happened here about 4 years ago.
Cut a path about 200 yards wide.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by FishinHank

Stihl or go home
It's like comparing a Ford Ranger to an F350. Battery saws are very useful and they have their place but for heavy duty cutting, you need a good gas saw.

to much logic........bob
© 24hourcampfire