Home
Posted By: mlschnei Heart surgery - 08/19/20
Looking for input on how long after open-heart surgery a 62-yr old can expect
before he can shoot a handgun/rifle/shotgun or pull back a 50# bow. Any of you
guys been thru this?

I’ve got a follow up in two weeks but would like to get some idea now.

Sorry if this has been discussed before, I’ve never had much luck with the
search engine.
Posted By: Anaconda Re: Heart surgery - 08/19/20
7 years ago, I had a quad bypass.
I had drawn a good deer-rifle tag for ten weeks after the procedure.
I didn't want to risk busting my chest back open, so I donated the tag.

I would say 3 monthes
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Heart surgery - 08/19/20
Take it easy on that, follow the doc's orders.
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Heart surgery - 08/19/20
Originally Posted by wabigoon

+1 regardless how you feel.
Posted By: Terryk Re: Heart surgery - 08/19/20
If you have to get out, I would toy around with a quality 22 rifle at a range.
Best wishes for a quick recovery.
Posted By: Jerseyboy Re: Heart surgery - 08/19/20
I had quadruple bypass in May 2012. I was 65 then, am nearly 74 now. The doctors told me "everyone's different". My retired MD friend said "Two years until you're fully recovered", and he was right. My cardiologist later agreed.

Are you on blood thinners? They will make you bruise easily, and sore when you shoot. I shot as soon as I could, I think July. It hurt. Give it time.

I told my heart surgeon that he gave me back my life, and now it was up to me to keep it. I meant it, and still do. Good luck with your recovery.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Heart surgery - 08/19/20
Handgun - 3 to 6 months
Rifle - 6 months to 1 year
Shotgun (12 ga) - 1 year to 1 year+

Re-entry to that wound is not an option, brother. You don't want to be doing that. These days, they can do retreads or modifications through your arm or leg down the road. But, you definitely don't want to have your chest split again. I'm 2 years and 9 months down the road and am fine now.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Heart surgery - 08/19/20
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Originally Posted by wabigoon

+1 regardless how you feel.

Yep.
Posted By: wldthg Re: Heart surgery - 08/19/20
It all depends on you--- you and how much effort in recovery--- I had quad by pass in May of 2008 --- deer hunted NY and VT in Nov. 2008 no problem what so ever and none since
Posted By: dale06 Re: Heart surgery - 08/19/20
Ask your doc and “listen” to the answer.
Good luck.
Posted By: mlschnei Re: Heart surgery - 08/19/20
Thanks guys, good advice. Guess I won’t be doing any hunting in 2020.
Posted By: AJ300MAG Re: Heart surgery - 08/19/20
Cardiologist don't have a clue as to the stresses induced during shooting. I had open heart surgery on April 1st '16, shot a midrange prone match the middle of June. I asked two different cardiologist about how long to wait and the both left it up to me. Weightlifting was a different story. I waited for four months before hitting the weights and stuck to 50% of the weight I normally worked out with for awhile. YMMV...
Posted By: tscott Re: Heart surgery - 08/19/20
I was born with a bicuspid Aortic valve, that began to fail fast, as most do. 5 hrs of open heart, got a cow pericardial valve, made in Singapore. No heart damage, no meds, etc.. hooks and wire mesh chest... I backpacked my buck out that year, 4 weeks after surg, on my 69th. Surgeon was not thrilled, but told me to be careful with backpack... Only 3/4ths mile out... I have always worked out, and kept my weight at 210....6'5".... They got a new fiberglass breast plate now... Screw in. Eliminates a lot of chest pain...
Posted By: gophergunner Re: Heart surgery - 08/19/20
I'm a congestive heart failure survivor. Pacemaker/defibrillator in my left shoulder. It definitely took the wind out of my sales. I don't hike back in very far these days, but I hunt every year. As long as you're willing to slow down a bit, you'll eventually be able to get back out. One weird thing, is it made me a much better still hunter, as I have no choice but to move very slowly. My cardiologist said I should consider hunting with something that doesn't kick very hard due to the gizmo in my shoulder. I mostly carry a 300 Savage with mild loads or another 99 chambered for .243. I gave up the compound and went to a crossbow. It's not the same, but it gets me out during archery season.
Posted By: GRIZZ Re: Heart surgery - 08/19/20
the 50 pound bow is going to have to wait for certain
Posted By: AJ300MAG Re: Heart surgery - 08/19/20
Originally Posted by tscott
I was born with a bicuspid Aortic valve, that began to fail fast, as most do. 5 hrs of open heart, got a cow pericardial valve, made in Singapore. No heart damage, no meds, etc.. hooks and wire mesh chest... I backpacked my buck out that year, 4 weeks after surg, on my 69th. Surgeon was not thrilled, but told me to be careful with backpack... Only 3/4ths mile out... I have always worked out, and kept my weight at 210....6'5".... They got a new fiberglass breast plate now... Screw in. Eliminates a lot of chest pain...

Good friend had the robotic bypass surgery back in May. His biggest concern was if they had to crack his chest should something go wrong. His brother had open heart and split his chest open twice. The hospital where Rich had it done uses screws and the plate, told him he could elk hunt this year if they did have to split him open.
Posted By: mlschnei Re: Heart surgery - 08/19/20
Great advice and inspiration. Thanks.
Sounds like my situation is similar to tscott. My aortic valve was also
replaced, but it was plugged up, not bicuspid. My dad had the same surgery
at 68 and a brother at 65. Lucky me at 62. I am now also part cow.

I am in good health otherwise,non-smoker and I eat right. Doc told me to lay
off the cardio when diagnosis was made over a year ago, looking forward to
resuming that. I’ll be back out there, it’s just a matter of when and with what
weapon.
Posted By: BuckeyeSpecial Re: Heart surgery - 08/19/20
Sir: Given excellent health prior to surgery and no complications, the breast bone (sternum) will need 3 months to heal in order to withstand an impact on it; sutures are jhealing in 2 weeks but they do not want the patient to break them open prematurely...so do not plan on disobeying doctor's orders! That said, 25-30 days - my guess- before you TRY to pull back a bow string. Yes, I had this surgery in 2016 when I was 64.
Posted By: MM879 Re: Heart surgery - 08/19/20
My dental surgery took longer than most of these reports. The medical system is amazing.
Posted By: Cretch Re: Heart surgery - 08/19/20
I had a 6 way bypass in 2017. For the first month wasn't suppose to pick up anything more than 5 lbs. After about 8 or 9 weeks, all restrictions were lifted. They said it takes about that long for the sternum to completely heal after being cut in 2. They told me you don't want to mess that up. Believe me, after going thru that, you want to listen to your doctor, because you don't want to go thru that again.

By the way, was 60 when I had this done.
Posted By: andy57 Re: Heart surgery - 08/19/20
I had double bypass, Aug 21 2019, by October 5 Cardiologist released me to go back to work,Driving Ag equipment, I was shooting my .223 in November and by January 2020 shooting my 30-06. I did not do any heavy lifting until Feb 2020, I still feel a twinge once in a while, it will be a year Aug 21. I am doing fine and will soon turn 63
Posted By: uncle joe Re: Heart surgery - 08/20/20
Mitral Valve replaced with a pig valve mid September 2018, attended son's wedding in late October (dancing till 1 am) Shot an 8 pt November 7th from a tree stand...how he got up there, I'll never know.
This was the second time they cracked me for heart issues. Once before in '98 but repaired the valve at the time. Be aggressive during cardio rehab and you will recover. It wasn't easy but very do able. Extended walks really help build stamina.
At 68 there is still a lot of life left, I hunt every season, fish all year and golf at least 2x a week when I'm not hunting. Focus on recovery and then don't give it another thought. You can't dwell on what happened or what might happen in the future.
I kinda look at whats going on in the country regarding the plague and I just can't bring myself to stop living for fear of dying.
Posted By: tscott Re: Heart surgery - 08/20/20
Adam Pick... Heart Valve Blog. Has wonderful latest info on heart valve disease.. Clinical case studies, surgeon interviews.. Great stuff for folks interested... 1-3% of World population, are born with a bicuspid aortic valve like me... The most common heart birth defect....
Posted By: HUNTERPA Re: Heart surgery - 08/28/20
Triple Bypass open heart on June 19 2020 had last appointment with surgeon and told me as of September 11 I will have no restrictions and can do what i want.
Posted By: uncle joe Re: Heart surgery - 08/29/20
now forget it ever happened and move forward.
Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: Heart surgery - 08/29/20
Had double bypass in August 1990. Hunted in November 1990. Was a little worried when I checked the zero on my rifle in October. Hasbeen
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Heart surgery - 08/29/20
Good luck on the sx.

Roger and I can hunt your lease if you're out of venison.
Posted By: JakeBlues Re: Heart surgery - 08/29/20
How hard was it to sleep with that sternum healing?
Posted By: sharpsguy Re: Heart surgery - 08/29/20
Sleep in a recliner or on your back and there is no problem.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Heart surgery - 08/29/20
Yes. Most likely procedure dependent. If something hurts, don't do that.
Posted By: mlschnei Re: Heart surgery - 08/29/20
Update: Thanks for all the replies. 2 1/2 weeks since surgery.
Recovery going good. Walking 1 1/2 miles a day. Swathing/baling hay.
Sleeping on side now, healing nicely, not much pain, only taking pain
meds after bouncing around in hay field, as a precaution.

Already notice improvement. Before surgery I would get winded taking
a shower. Not now. I have a follow up Tuesday, and have a long list of
can-do questions. Not giving up on deer season yet, too many
inspirational stories here.

Thanks again,
Martin
© 24hourcampfire