Home
Nice country, although probably not the same now. The drive in theater might be gone.
The wiki page will give you all the locations. The scenery is a great in the movie, the musical score sucks but it is still a favorite movie of mine. Saw it at the drive-in when it came out.
George Kennedy played a complete and utter dick.
Riverdog: The director of the movie, after travelling thousands of miles by car, decided on all Montana locations for filming in the following cities/areas:
Ulm
Fort Benton
Wolf Creek
Great Falls
Hobson
I think the boating scene was done at "Gates of the Mountains" on the Missouri?
I don't know why I enjoy that humble movie so much - I just do.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Aliens.
Fun movie, Clint and Bridges worked well together.

I think Bridges got nominated for an Oscar.
Riverdog: By the way Wikipedia informs us that the producer paid $4,000,000.00 (four million dollars!) to make the movie and it brought in $25,000,000.00 (twenty five million dollars!) at the box office!
Pretty great return on ones investment back then (1974)!
It was also pretty well received by "critics" and got a Rotten Tomato's score of 90 (thats pretty good).
"Wow - see that, it was a Steelhead" (I don't think there are any Steelhead in Montana?) quote from "Lightfoot".
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Yes in and around Great Falls MT. The drive in was at the present location of Holiday Inn just off of 10th ave s.

Gates of the mtns, yes. West of augusta mt . and other locations I have forgotten.

I was living there at the time. It was interesting seeing the actors around town during that time.
I believe the real star of that movie was the Shelby Cobra.
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Riverdog: By the way Wikipedia informs us that the producer paid $4,000,000.00 (four million dollars!) to make the movie and it brought in $25,000,000.00 (twenty five million dollars!) at the box office!
It was also pretty well received by "critics" and got a Rotten Tomato's score of 90 (thats pretty good).
"Wow - see that, it was a Steelhead" (I don't think there are any Steelhead in Montana?) quote from "Lightfoot".
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Serious question, does VG think folks on this forum don't understand numbers?

He needs to spend more time on properly constructed sentences, spelling, grammar, capitalization and such.
Serious Question.,do you feel the need to criticize other peoples posts for correctness etc.?

Originally Posted by kennymauser
Serious Question.,do you feel the need to criticize other peoples posts for correctness etc.?

Yes, next,,,,,
callinem: I'm next - I repeat Mr Kennymauser's question, with this addendum - why?
You prove your self nothing more than a petty, negative, immature, simpleton annumber 1 (one!) asswhole.
IS that correct enough for you to understand?
Your approach and attitude does NOTHING to improve the CampFire.
Sad that.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
VG just trying to help an aging old fool not appear to be as stupid has you really are.
callinem: You simply add NOTHING of value to this site!
I suggest you adjust your attitude and perspective.
Forget the pettiness and immaturity and grow up.
Snottiness is not a virtue.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
I’m sorry I hurt your tender old feelers VG. There is plenty of help on the net on proper sentence structure and what not.

Educate yourself so I don’t have to.
Originally Posted by callnum
VG just trying to help an aging old fool not appear to be as stupid has you really are.

Look out!

He'll be calling you 'Turdlike' soon!

Take it as a compliment! laugh
Originally Posted by ingwe

Look out!

He'll be calling you 'Turdlike' soon!

Take it as a compliment! laugh

I think he has called me that before maybe 10 (ten!) times.
Originally Posted by add
I believe the real star of that movie was the Shelby Cobra.
Continental Mk. IV at the end was better.
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Serious question, does VG think folks on this forum don't understand numbers?

He needs to spend more time on properly constructed sentences, spelling, grammar, capitalization and such.

9 (nine) out of 10 (ten) people do, but it's the 1 (one) that doesn't you have to look out 4 ((for) four)
Sheesh...
Dang, boys. Was just hoping for a little commentary from the people who know these areas.
I believe all of the buildings at the various loctions that were used in the movie are still there with the exception of the drive-in theater. The old Yellowstone truck stop building is closed but still standing. the telegraph office and department stores were both on Central ave and I am sure they are still there. The only one I am not sure of is the old schoolhouse where the money was hidden in the walls burned down a few years ago I believe but am not 100% certain on that. The Cadillac dealership on Central Ave W is still there but it is no longer an auto sales, the house with the naked house wife was in one of the newer subdivisions -pretty sure it is still there. There are a lot of scenes in the movie that are supposed to be next to or near each other when they are actually miles apart but with the filming action they appear to be right next to each other. - The magic of movies.

drover
Yes the schoolhouse, that was built for the movie did burn down. Another building was built on the same plot and was a cafe.

The interstate highway was built after the movie was made so the bridges that you cross going up or down the river give you a different view of the area.

The river scene of the small river and mountains close by was the Sun river canyon west of Augusta. It still looks much the same.
As simple and entertaining as that movie is they can't seem to duplicate it now a days.
Originally Posted by 1911a1
As simple and entertaining as that movie is they can't seem to duplicate it now a days.

No, but they could remake it in a much worse and politically correct version.
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus

The naked house wife would be a naked black dude and Jeff Bridges would go brokeback mountain on him.
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus

The naked house wife would be a naked black dude and Jeff Bridges would go brokeback mountain on him.

Laffin' the sad part is your probably right.
© 24hourcampfire