Home
The last two packages delivered to my doorstep by UPS, the box was on Tuesday and the envelope was just a few minutes ago.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Looks like it was delivered by Ace Ventura!

Thank you for using UPS

I get my pension check on the first of every month......

I thank the Teamsters long before UPS though

At least they made it to the porch..........

fuggin ground fed ex is to fuggin lazy to go inside my gate

leaves it on the fuggin street..........

yea...3 boxes of Gatoraide (Walmart) @ 30# each......

a$$hole..........
At least the accordion in the box was undamaged....
How were the contents?

Unless it was me-maws anitique chicken shaped butter dish....
The box contained a new motorcycle jacket. It survived with only some scrapes to the outer plastic bag it was in. Which actually is somewhat heartening since if it can survive UPS then it will certainly help protect me from road rash if I take a spill.

The envelope contained PMag 30 round mags for an AR and Glock OEM magazines. The plastic bags for the Pmags were cut and scraped up pretty badly but the magazines themselves appear to be okay. The plastic blister packs each Glock mag came in were dented and the cardboard backing was folded and dented but again, being fairly strong plastic the magazines themselves appear to be okay.

The people I ordered the magazines from need to share the blame - not for the torn up envelope but that they'd use one in the first place instead of a decent cardboard box. I've noticed lots of shippers, Midway is bad about this as well, will put several hard items loose inside a mailing envelope. Even given normal care in the shipping they get bounced around and banged into each other inside an envelope like that. I've had to send a few things back to Midway for being damaged beyond hope inside an envelope when even a small cardboard box with some padding/packing to stabilize the items would have seen them arrive safely.
Yup, schitt happens with any of the carriers. Good quality, discreet packaging solves many problems.
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Thank you for using UPS

Glad the Gangsters are still paying YOU..............

They've bankrupted our regional pension plan. Everyone took a 30% cut, across the board, October 2019 in order to preserve the fund until it is completely bankrupt in 2028. The Gangsters union leaders can all burn in hell, AFAIC.

Any chance your ex-wife works for them ?

Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
The last two packages delivered to my doorstep by UPS, the box was on Tuesday and the envelope was just a few minutes ago.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The LAST time I relied on UPS they destroyed a $3000 antique rifle along with a $400 wagon box.

They will NEVER get another dime from my pocket.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Been driving Brown since the Reagan administration. Your driver is lazy and/or doesn't care. Ain't NO WAY that box should have ever been loaded on his truck............ Ain't NO WAY that I'd hand that to a customer. That one gets "futured" on my truck. It goes back for a PM supervisor to inspect for damage and re-wrap.

Thank you for using UPS

Central States corruption [bleep] me out of mine.
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

Uh oh - I heard twilight zone music. wink

It's funny you say that. Not to diverge the thread too much but my soon to be ex-wife got into a large gun safe - the big kind with rows of 1" steel bolts coming out of the door - in about 10 minutes with a standard claw hammer and a ton of rage. True story, she busted the lock completely off and got it open. Fortunately I had emptied the contents when I had moved out of the house.
PS......... The accordian box is the product of a belt jam.

Belts in the sort hubs go faster than you can run on. If something causes a jam.........there WILL be casualties. Not defending anything. Just that the equipment and methods it takes to move 22 million packages a day will destroy packages sometimes. It sucks when it's yours or mine.
Originally Posted by add

Thank you for using UPS

Mmmm hmm.

The Gangsters union is as good at making pension money disappear as Jimmy Hoffa.
Yeah, I''m not really ranting since most of the time packages sent by UPS, FedEx or USPS are delivered in decent shape. I just thought it was a bit unusual to have two of them savaged like this in such a short time. Being the fire, it was my duty to start a bitching thread... wink
What Yoder said and avoid letter / envelope size. They can get under the conveyor guard and get chewed up.

Small box is better.
We have one of those $40 porch cameras that sends a video of delivery to my wife's cell phone.

Sometimes the guy gets within 20 feet and throws it, like a bad paper boy from the 60s.
Yeah, I''m not really ranting since most of the time packages sent by UPS, FedEx or USPS are delivered in decent shape. I just thought it was a bit unusual to have two of them savaged like this in such a short time. Being the fire, it was my duty to start a bitching thread... wink

That's what the fire is for, ain't it ???

grin
Wish I had a camera or even a cell phone back around 2010. Was flying back to Idaho after visiting the family for Christmas in Florida, we were waiting for the plane to finish boarding and pull back from the gate. At the next gate I watched as a whole bunch of luggage was tossed out of the plane's open cargo door about 8 feet directly onto the concrete apron. After 15-20 of them were in a pile a very, very large female handler jumped out of the door directly onto the piled luggage to cushion her fall. Luggage these days is mostly all soft sided so there was no protection from the initial fall or from her landing on them.

Since this was December 26th I always wondered how many new Christmas presents she crushed, along with how many kids' happiness, in that deliberate act of destruction.
Originally Posted by add

Thank you for using UPS

retired in '11...........

got the best 27 yrs outta UPS......

no GPS tracking BS.......part time pre loads......etc......

Now masks......._______ off UPS......

I use USPS in my shipping
Problem is, Fed Ex and USPS aren't any better.
Certainly have my empathy.

Our local driver is top notch, going the extra mile time and again; the below aren’t his fault.

1.) rem 510 22lr smoothbore shows up, box ratty and end seams open at both ends. Bolt is GONE. Thanks... the replacement ebay bolt cost as much as the gun.

2.) just couple weeks later, 1888 win 1873 22long shows up after long shipping time. Wouldn’t normally spring that much for a 22, but it was complete, matching, and “good” condition but for a missing extractor, which i located a replacement. UPS driver calls to make sure am home to check contents rather than drop it on porch, given his suspicion.

Box busted open along longitudinal seams, the rifle completely outside the plastic “hard” gun case just rattling around the big box together. About half - 2/3 the rifle “exposed” thru box tear(s), Rear sight bent, elevator gone, ejection cover jammed open, front of bolt chipped (impressive feat). Awaiting dealer to get it back; refused delivery. It’s a dammn shame.
... Midway is bad about this as well, will put several hard items loose inside a mailing envelope. Even given normal care in the shipping they get bounced around and banged into each other inside an envelope like that. ...

Midway shipped an AR upper, and a plactic box of Norma 9.3mm bullets in one box, no dunnage/padding. I received the upper in good condition. And about half of the 9.3mm bullets floating around in the cardboard box... frown
I think some of the problem maybe relative to where people live. I’ve never had any major issues with fed ex or UPS on the receiving end. Usually no minor issues either. But we typically have the same delivery persons for a while, it’s not uncommon to have conversations with the drivers upon delivery.
Originally Posted by sandcritter
Certainly have my empathy.

Our local driver is top notch, going the extra mile time and again; the below aren’t his fault.

1.) rem 510 22lr smoothbore shows up, box ratty and end seams open at both ends. Bolt is GONE. Thanks... the replacement ebay bolt cost as much as the gun.

2.) just couple weeks later, 1888 win 1873 22long shows up after long shipping time. Wouldn’t normally spring that much for a 22, but it was complete, matching, and “good” condition but for a missing extractor, which i located a replacement. UPS driver calls to make sure am home to check contents rather than drop it on porch, given his suspicion.

Box busted open along longitudinal seams, the rifle completely outside the plastic “hard” gun case just rattling around the big box together. About half - 2/3 the rifle “exposed” thru box tear(s), Rear sight bent, elevator gone, ejection cover jammed open, front of bolt chipped (impressive feat). Awaiting dealer to get it back; refused delivery. It’s a dammn shame.

That's atrocious.
Originally Posted by overmax
I think some of the problem maybe relative to where people live. I’ve never had any major issues with fed ex or UPS on the receiving end. Usually no minor issues either. But we typically have the same delivery persons for a while, it’s not uncommon to have conversations with the drivers upon delivery.

It isn't always the driver. Stuff happens at hubs and in transit.
From what I have seen over the years, I'd guess 90-95% of UPS damages are mechanicals............the belts, belt jams chutes, etc eating stuff up. Another 5-10% are hub loaders/unloaders walking on packages (I get SO PISSED when I gotta hand a customer a package with a footprint on it !!! ) Maybe...........MAYBE........ 1/10% of damages happen when the driver has the package. I don't have the time OR the desire to intentionally damage anything. But stuff falls off of truck shelves sometimes.........falls off a loaded dolly.........what have you.
luggage was tossed out of the plane's open cargo door about 8 feet directly onto the concrete apron.

Sounds like United Breaks Guitars.
Originally Posted by sandcritter

1.) rem 510 22lr smoothbore shows up,

I have been collecting Rem 510s for 38 years, and have never seen a smooth bore. "Skeet Trap" huh?
I just checked a bunch and they all say "targetmaster"
I must be lucky as I haven't received a damaged parcel in quite a while. I regularly use Canada Post, Fed Ex and Loomis in Canada. Loomis is mostly for ammo.
They will hold my parcel at the office for pick-up if I request it. They know me fairly well.
Recently, I ordered some spare chokes and a coupler other items for my nice O/U 20 g. Didn't expect delivery till next week.
Yesterday, I get home from shopping and there is a notice on the front door. Now, I am expecting a package that will be a notice to attend the PO
to pay duty/customs fees so I thought great, the long awaited fly tying tools have arrived. Nope, was from CANPAR, delivering my Beretta order.
and would come back today to hand deliver. I made sure I would be home, driver shows up, box is in great shape. He explained that although he could have just left it, he felt it was something expensive so decided it was better to just make the extra trip today. Thanked him profusely!! Now that is service.
Most of our drivers around here are pretty good, some know us and will chat for a couple minutes.
Jeff
Originally Posted by Orion2000
... Midway is bad about this as well, will put several hard items loose inside a mailing envelope. Even given normal care in the shipping they get bounced around and banged into each other inside an envelope like that. ...

Midway shipped an AR upper, and a plactic box of Norma 9.3mm bullets in one box, no dunnage/padding. I received the upper in good condition. And about half of the 9.3mm bullets floating around in the cardboard box... frown

Almost my exact experience .
Not bad. Be glad you got it. Stuff needs to be packaged as if it going to be thrown, stood upon, and generally thrashed. Freight and shipping folks are busy.
I recently used UPS to take loaded ammo from WI to MT.

I was pleased with the short turnaround time and the condition of it when it arrived.

The price was reasonable and the agent was very nice to deal with.
Got a big box of optics last week through UPS... the box was crushed. It had at least two major events in the destruction and a probable third. Because of the internal packaging and the over-size box there was absolutely no damage to the internal boxes. Of course UPS was not responsible for the success of the shipping...
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Got a big box of optics last week through UPS... the box was crushed. It had at least two major events in the destruction and a probable third. Because of the internal packaging and the over-size box there was absolutely no damage to the internal boxes. Of course UPS was not responsible for the success of the shipping...

Yah, the shipper does, or doesn't, do the important part. The carrier will always beat the phucqk out of it.
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Yah, the shipper does, or doesn't, do the important part. The carrier will always beat the phucqk out of it.

Absolutely. For as much as fault the couriers, equally fault the sellers/shippers who won’t take the minor time/expense to properly package their goods in anticipation of a cross-country ride.
Originally Posted by Yoder409

Been driving Brown since the Reagan administration. Your driver is lazy and/or doesn't care. Ain't NO WAY that box should have ever been loaded on his truck............ Ain't NO WAY that I'd hand that to a customer. That one gets "futured" on my truck. It goes back for a PM supervisor to inspect for damage and re-wrap.

The lazy/don't care driver is spot on. Usually the driver rings my doorbell when they drop off a package and since I'm usually home expecting it I come right to the door in time to give a friendly wave to the guy as he drives off. I had another shipping envelope delivered by UPS yesterday afternoon and he rang the bell.

But for the two that were torn up the driver dropped them off and just left without ringing the bell, I guess he didn't want to have to face me coming out while he was still there.
Had a small box come the other day, "accordioned" like the one in the OP. Was hoping it wasn't the external hard drive I had ordered from Costco. Nope, just a couple of jars of supplements, and a couple of the balloon packing jobs. Rattled around a lot, but the bottles were still intact.

Same day, same delivery, a large shipping envelope, looking a little ratty, but not bad considering. Yep, the hard drive in its original vacuum sealed hard to open package. Again, fortunately, no damage.

I've had the same issues as others here with the ammo/shooting supply companies and their packing methods. Amazing the differences at times. Sometimes I've had component bullet come packed in a suitable size box, with proper padding/packing in it, and it looked like I just pulled it off the store shelf. Other times, 2 boxes of bullets, rattling around in an oversized box, with little padding, and one or the other of the boxes open with crap rattling around in the bottom of the box. Or in a shipping envelope with no padding whatsoever. With a footprint on it when it arrives.

But, let us all remember................................this is a capitalist society, and them folks need to make a profit, right? So, the bean counters have probably figured it's best for them to ship your scheidt out in whatever manner is expedient, combined with what is likely the lowest cost labor they can find, in the quickest way they can do it and get it on the truck to you and I.

Maybe instead of nearly $1 apiece for certain premium bullets, it would cost us $1.02 to have them boxed and shipped properly? After all, them envelopes are a bit less expensive than a cardboard box, take up less room in the shipping department, don't require tape, and are lighter for the employees to handle, and they fly into the truck like a Frisbee way better than a box does.
Originally Posted by Valsdad
...After all, them envelopes are a bit less expensive than a cardboard box, take up less room in the shipping department, don't require tape, and are lighter for the employees to handle, and they fly into the truck like a Frisbee way better than a box does.

You're definitely on to something there... wink

I will admit to using those envelopes when possible for shipping stuff sold through the classifieds here since it does save shipping costs; or re-using them to be more accurate. You just have to protect the contents. I save the various sized padded envelopes stuff arrived in and when you ship something put it in a smaller padded envelope and stuff some paper or something in there to keep the item stable, then put that into a larger one. You get double padding plus the item or especially items plural don't move around and bang into each other.

It's also heavier and bulkier so it discourages frisbee tossing. wink
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
© 24hourcampfire