Home
Posted By: stxhunter F-ck this is not good - 08/24/20
Trying to get a hold of Brian, my buddy, I fish with offshore, was sent this pic this morning by a friend. I know Brian spent the weekend in Port A and I'm pretty damn sure this is his boat. Pic taken this morning.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: F-ck this is not good - 08/24/20
Interesting spot to fish
Posted By: cooper57m Re: F-ck this is not good - 08/24/20
Going after Rock Bass I guess.
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: F-ck this is not good - 08/24/20
Guys hauling ass with their bow up around jetties ... not good.

Hope your buddy is ok
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: F-ck this is not good - 08/24/20
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

Hope your buddy is ok

+1
Posted By: stxhunter Re: F-ck this is not good - 08/24/20
talked to my brother and he talked him around two am this morning so it happened afterwards.
Posted By: blindshooter Re: F-ck this is not good - 08/24/20
Hope your bud is ok.
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: F-ck this is not good - 08/24/20
Hope no one was hurt.

The boat can be fixed most likely.
Posted By: erikj Re: F-ck this is not good - 08/24/20
Hopefully he ran aground while creeping and can get her at high tide.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: F-ck this is not good - 08/24/20
Maybe someone stole the boat that didn't know how to run the electronics? I can see where it's possible for boats to run into one another, but an object that isn't moving should be almost impossible to run into with the electronics we have available today. Hopefully if your buddy was driving he isn't hurt besides his ego. Damn that would suck.
Posted By: LeroyBeans Re: F-ck this is not good - 08/24/20
One too many (or more) it appears...
Posted By: local_dirt Re: F-ck this is not good - 08/24/20
Can't tell if it's up on the jetty or just looks that way because pic was taken from a distance.

Hoping it's not up on the jetty. Wouldn't want to be the one pulling it off.
Posted By: Clydesdale Re: F-ck this is not good - 08/24/20
It’s ok. Someone else was holding his beer.
I know he was hanging out with the frosts {frost bank} earlier in the day checking out their condo that had just been fixed from Harvey. didn't have customers to take fishing.
Originally Posted by erikj
Hopefully he ran aground while creeping and can get her at high tide.

the tide only varies here about one foot. He had to have been moving pretty good to put it that high up on the rocks.
Posted By: Ejp1234 Re: F-ck this is not good - 08/24/20
Those cat hulls ride good... even when its rough as rocks you cant feel a thing.
That happens a lot around here. Unlit navigational hazard are hard to see especially if you’re just getting up on plane. Hope your buddy is good - when that boats stops motion, the passengers don’t.
Posted By: k20350 Re: F-ck this is not good - 08/24/20
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

Hope your buddy is ok

Cousin boats in a tidal river. Said this guy was roaring around in a cigarette boat like he owned the place. Told me he thought to himself that guy must know where hes going. Nope. He said on the way back to the boat launch guys boat was on a sandbar and was an hour or so from being completely out of the water.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: F-ck this is not good - 08/24/20
Damn Rog, sorry to hear this frown

It ain't like the location of those rock jetties was a mystery, just so folks know they are a fixture at Port A, about a mile long, and people fish off them all the time, I've had school groups on 'em for years. They were put in in 1919, been there forever..

Rog, now all ya can do is wait until the story comes out.
well I just talk to him, he's alright except for sounding pretty depressed. He's on his bus there in port A, said they're trying to see if it could be pulled off, the worse case might have to use a barge with a crane.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: F-ck this is not good - 08/24/20
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Damn Rog, sorry to hear this frown

It ain't like the location of those rock jetties was a mystery, just so folks know they are a fixture at Port A, about a mile long, and people fish off them all the time, I've had school groups on 'em for years. They were put in in 1919, been there forever..

Rog, now all ya can do is wait until the story comes out.

Our initial inclination is often to suspect human error, but in fairness to the operators we should consider that it may have been a mechanical error.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: F-ck this is not good - 08/24/20
Call some of his relatives and wife and girlfriend and area hospitals.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: F-ck this is not good - 08/24/20
Originally Posted by stxhunter
well I just talk to him, he's alright except for sounding pretty depressed. He's on his bus there in port A, said they're trying to see if it could be pulled off, the worse case might have to use a barge with a crane.

Glad he is okay. I hate it for him.
Mike one of two things he was distracted or had too much to drink and wasn't paying attention to the electronics, those jettys can be hard to see at night.
Crap. Glad hes ok though.
Posted By: Raeford Re: F-ck this is not good - 08/24/20

Good to hear that he's alright.
Gotta suck having to leave his boat out there!
Posted By: StoneCutter Re: F-ck this is not good - 08/24/20
Man, I bet that hurt. My sister-in-law's brother put their 35' boat on a sandbar one time. Everyone on board hit something, but no bad injuries. Hope the hull ain't cracked.

Since he's OK, there will come the day when you guys won't let him live it down. Mix him up a drink with 1 bourbon, 1 scotch, & 1 beer over ice. When you hand it to him, tell him that it's called a "Brian on the Rocks". grin
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
Man, I bet that hurt. My sister-in-law's brother put their 35' boat on a sandbar one time. Everyone on board hit something, but no bad injuries. Hope the hull ain't cracked.

Since he's OK, there will come the day when you guys won't let him live it down. Mix him up a drink with 1 whiskey, 1 scotch, & 1 beer over ice. When you hand it to him, tell him that it's called a "Brian on the Rocks". grin

haven't asked him what happened, figured he tell when he's ready.
Posted By: blindshooter Re: F-ck this is not good - 08/24/20
Good he's ok. Boats can be fixed or replaced.

Attached picture thumbsup.jpeg
Posted By: Valsdad Re: F-ck this is not good - 08/24/20
Glad your friend seems to be OK for now. Hopefully no residual type injuries. Boat can be fixed/replaced when/if the time comes.

Let us know the rest of the story, should he tell you.

If he takes out customers, I sure hope it's not alcohol related or he might lose a license.
Posted By: las Re: F-ck this is not good - 08/24/20
"The boat ran aground"

It's always the boat's fault.

That's what I tell my wife, and since she has been on the boat several times when the boat ran aground, she knows it's true.
Going to pick up Bre after lunch and run over to port A.
You need to find out if they salvaged the expensive fishing gear or if he needs help getting it.
Posted By: StoneCutter Re: F-ck this is not good - 08/24/20
What really sucks about this, is that it sounds like he makes a living off of the boat. I hope he gets it back on the water soon.
What really sucks about this, is that it sounds like he makes a living off of the boat. I hope he gets it back on the water soon.

he makes money but he's retired and pretty well off, guess you could call it a hobby that kinda pays for its self.
Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: F-ck this is not good - 08/24/20
Things can go bad real quick on the water. Glad no one was hurt. Hasbeen
The inlet where my brother lives in Panama City is treacherous. The one at Port Everglades where I live is, too.

They can hurt you quick.
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: F-ck this is not good - 08/24/20
Glad he's OK .There's bigger things to stress over.
Posted By: huskyrunner Re: F-ck this is not good - 08/24/20
Well, if he’s gonna make a habit of it, he should switch to Hawaiian outrigger canoes, and log ramps for rocky shoreline. Then it’s fun as hell.
Posted By: Borchardt Re: F-ck this is not good - 08/24/20
Going out from Cameron, LA early one morning, there was a 35ft sport fisherman almost all the way up on the west jetty about 1/2 or 2/3 the way out. Driver thought he was past the end, he wasn't. There was a very large hole on the starboard side, just back from the bow.
Posted By: hillestadj Re: F-ck this is not good - 08/24/20
Bummer.

No experience with saltwater but I've seen plenty of guys introduced to wing dams on the river up here - usually a bad day.
Posted By: Sportsdad60 Re: F-ck this is not good - 08/24/20
Slightly OT, but we winter with our 5th wheel in Port A, Mustang island specifically.
Posted By: windridge Re: F-ck this is not good - 08/24/20

Since he's OK, there will come the day when you guys won't let him live it down. Mix him up a drink with 1 whiskey, 1 scotch, & 1 beer over ice. When you hand it to him, tell him that it's called a "Brian on the Rocks". grin

haven't asked him what happened, figured he tell when he's ready.

Posted By: windridge Re: F-ck this is not good - 08/24/20
Kidding aside, I'm sorry your friend ran aground. I did years ago in Putrid Sound onto a mud flat in my 25' Thompson CC. TG it was at low tide, and a few hours later we were free and backing away.

I hope his boat was insured and is repairable, and I'm glad he's OK.
Posted By: DCR48 Re: F-ck this is not good - 08/24/20
Just trying to figure out is that looking toward CCNAS from the island?
Posted By: deflave Re: F-ck this is not good - 08/24/20
Is the Barbra Mandrell tour bus OK?
Posted By: Morewood Re: F-ck this is not good - 08/24/20
I can only imagine the sickening feeling your friend got when he hit those rocks. That sucks bigtime.

A buddy of mine years ago got too close to the rocky shoreline and hit a submerged rock ripping the bottom out of his Dad's fancy ski boat. Sunk it in about 40 feet of water.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: F-ck this is not good - 08/24/20
Originally Posted by DCR48
Just trying to figure out is that looking toward CCNAS from the island?

The two long rock jetties flank the shipping channel through the barrier islands, said channel linking the Gulf to Corpus Christi Bay, used constantly by oil tankers headed to and from the refineries. The channel runs northwest as you're coming in.

The boat is pointed like the it hit the outside of the jetty on the south side of the channel while it was heading in from the Gulf, said photo taken from the other side of that channel, looking WSW towards the Port Aransas shoreline.
Originally Posted by local_dirt
The inlet where my brother lives in Panama City is treacherous. The one at Port Everglades where I live is, too.

They can hurt you quick.

Whats the name of that bad sucker up in Wa where the river hits the Pacific. Haulover aint squat.
Posted By: SPQR70AD Re: F-ck this is not good - 08/24/20
I think he was trying to set up a boating accident for his guns and it went array grin
Posted By: Valsdad Re: F-ck this is not good - 08/24/20
Originally Posted by jaguartx

They can hurt you quick.

Whats the name of that bad sucker up in Wa where the river hits the Pacific. Haulover aint squat.

The Bar on the Columbia is said to be one of the worst. Never been over that one personally, know a lot who have.

The Columbia bar is a step above the Humboldt Bay Bar, probably the second nastiest around in many conditions. I've been across it more than a couple of times. It's interesting when a captain with unlimited papers, taking ships around the world and such, gets outside and says he's a bit butt puckered coming out of a little harbor. Coming back in can get even sketchier.

Another experienced skipper got us outside, turned the 85' vessel around, and said it's going to get worse and we've got students on board, don't want to risk it. I was having a fun time and was bummed our cruise was cancelled. Fisheries schools in Kansas (and Iowa) don't have many of those kind of opportunities. wink
Posted By: Snyper Re: F-ck this is not good - 08/24/20
Here's a bird's eye view of the area:
https://www.instantstreetview.com/@27.83417,-97.112847,13z,0t
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: F-ck this is not good - 08/24/20
Sorry it happened, but glad he's okay.

Roger, was this the same boat and guy that ran aground awhile back when it was choppy out there?

They can hurt you quick.

Haulover pumps out some nice fish, though.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: F-ck this is not good - 08/25/20

They can hurt you quick.

Cape Disappointment.

Westport can be nasty too if you don’t watch the WX and tide.
Posted By: jimy Re: F-ck this is not good - 08/25/20
Originally Posted by Valsdad

They can hurt you quick.

The Bar on the Columbia is said to be one of the worst. Never been over that one personally, know a lot who have.

The Columbia bar is a step above the Humboldt Bay Bar, probably the second nastiest around in many conditions. I've been across it more than a couple of times. It's interesting when a captain with unlimited papers, taking ships around the world and such, gets outside and says he's a bit butt puckered coming out of a little harbor. Coming back in can get even sketchier.

Another experienced skipper got us outside, turned the 85' vessel around, and said it's going to get worse and we've got students on board, don't want to risk it. I was having a fun time and was bummed our cruise was cancelled. Fisheries schools in Kansas (and Iowa) don't have many of those kind of opportunities. wink

That's a great Caption, you should thank him for his wisdom. Its a lot like old bold pilots, there are not many of them alive !
Posted By: stxhunter Re: F-ck this is not good - 08/25/20
just got home, we got it off, sea-tow was amazed at how little damage the boat sustained, said it was one of the best-built boats they've seen. got video I'll upload to youtube in a while.
Roger that's great news, there is not much good news to come from boat wrecks ! Get back to fishin !
Posted By: jaguartx Re: F-ck this is not good - 08/25/20
just got home, we got it off, sea-tow was amazed at how little damage the boat sustained, said it was one of the best-built boats they've seen. got video I'll upload to youtube in a while.

Good deal. I figured ya'll would have to do a lot of boat work to get it fixed.
when Bre and I got there.

They yank it off there? Thought they might use air bags at high tide. Big $$$ in just outboards on that rig.

Damn. I'm impressed. I always thought Sea-Tow was a bunch of over-charging opportunists. They earned their keep on that one.
Originally Posted by deflave

Posted By: CashisKing Re: F-ck this is not good - 08/25/20
Nice...

Looks like a quality hull...
Posted By: kingston Re: F-ck this is not good - 08/25/20

LOL
Posted By: RiverRider Re: F-ck this is not good - 08/25/20
I'll bet he's relieved to get that boat off that jetty with the possibility of bad weather hitting soon. I'd imagine big waves could pound that boat to pieces on those rocks.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: F-ck this is not good - 08/25/20
Posted By: LeroyBeans Re: F-ck this is not good - 08/25/20
Are those lower units okay?
Posted By: flintlocke Re: F-ck this is not good - 08/25/20
Never been in the Gulf, but I don't think anything is worse than the Columbia Bar, in 2010 the wave data buoy recorded a 54 footer...when the buoy was destroyed. Last I heard the total was 2,000 ships. I personally know a 120 foot steel tug has to pick conditions, you don't charge across the bar in all weather and tides.
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: F-ck this is not good - 08/25/20
It won't be hard to fix that,just some time.

That tow boat must have a hell of an outboard and a torky prop.
Originally Posted by CashisKing

Nice sloop, Cash. Beautiful boat and boat hand.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: F-ck this is not good - 08/25/20
Originally Posted by LeroyBeans

Still Leroy, no one cares.......
ok according to Brian his new Simrad GPS had him a couple of hundred yards past the end of the jetty. he hit about 75 yds before the end. Sea Tow guys said they've pulled several boats off almost the exact same spot over the yrs. he was going about five-ten mph because it was rough.
Damn that's gotta be hard on the feelings ! Then again sh~t happens, the fish don't care what your boat looks like its the bait that they got their eyes on !
Posted By: DaveR Re: F-ck this is not good - 08/25/20
ok according to Brian his new Simrad GPS had him a couple of hundred yards past the end of the jetty. he hit about 75 yds before the end. Sea Tow guys said they've pulled several boats off almost the exact same spot over the yrs. he was going about five-ten mph because it was rough.

Possible, if charts are inaccurate or he may have had map datums not set right. If his GPS is set to a different datum than what the dowloaded chart is using, he could be off quite a bit. But I'd think he'd see that well before it became an issue like this?
A lot less damage than I would have thought, amazing really. He'll be peraired and back on the water in short order I would imagine.

Glad things turned out OK.
Posted By: deflave Re: F-ck this is not good - 08/25/20
[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

lmao did that in my boat once duck hunting.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: F-ck this is not good - 08/25/20
Stix, they use some kind of quick set gel/ epoxy repair to seal it? MB
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Stix, they use some kind of quick set gel/ epoxy repair to seal it? MB

yes but it didn't really help was just falling out, told Brian they should put it on some heavy plastic sheeting and tape it in place till it sets which is about twenty minutes.

Posted By: johnn Re: F-ck this is not good - 08/25/20
A piece of mat and some resin would have worked. Surprised the end of the jetty wasn't marked with a nav aid.

This is more Rogers style........

[Linked Image from external-content.duckduckgo.com]
Originally Posted by RiverRider
I'll bet he's relieved to get that boat off that jetty with the possibility of bad weather hitting soon. I'd imagine big waves could pound that boat to pieces on those rocks.

it was on the leeward side, if had been on the other they wouldn't have been able to get it off.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: F-ck this is not good - 08/25/20

Familiar rocks, about a mile long. One of the more hazardous places to bring groups of high school kids, lots of places to take a bad fall, spots that get wet like ice to walk on too. But..... dolphins, sea turtles and fishermen after red drum. Lots of close-up shipping traffic too. Head offshore off the channel and they got oil tankers lined up like a parking lot.

Whatever that guy paid for that boat it was worth it.
It looks like he more or less road a wave up on the rocks, no harm no foul .

The first mate looks like a keeper.....
Props will cost more than jell coat !
Posted By: m_stevenson Re: F-ck this is not good - 08/25/20
Hhmm, was he a Higgins boat pilot in the Navy?
Posted By: ribka Re: F-ck this is not good - 08/25/20

at least he's running Yamahas
Posted By: Whiptail Re: F-ck this is not good - 08/25/20

Fortunately nobody got hurt...

I've done a few boating screw ups which still haunt me but nobody got hurt...
Live and learn and I'm glad everything worked out for the best.
motors run fine, just going to need new props and skags welded on. Think Brian will repair the motors and hull himself. He's got a big shop, he use to build boats and restore cars.

yes except for bent props and the skags broke off.

At least the slags can be rewelded and the props replaced!
Although I’d hate to price those props nowadays 😬
Roger, can prop repair shops fix them?
Posted By: huskyrunner Re: F-ck this is not good - 08/25/20
It is a pain in the ass to epoxy upside down. I let the pot start to kick off first and become almost a putty.

Field repair in the middle of nowhere involves either pulling a polytarp around the hull or mixing dock styrofoam from beach flotsam with a bit of gasoline. For small craft anyway.
Roger, thanks for sharing. I enjoyed following along once you told us Brian was okay. You kids will be out killing fish again soon.
Posted By: LeroyBeans Re: F-ck this is not good - 08/25/20

That's great. A god of some type must have been looking out for him.

SheRoy,

You know as much about boats as you do taking a piss while standing.

LOL
Posted By: fester Re: F-ck this is not good - 08/25/20

SheRoy,

LOL

Sitting lol
Posted By: fester Re: F-ck this is not good - 08/25/20
Lmao
You ever pissed off a boat?
20’ Boston whaler type?

Woo hoo!

Fun dealing with that with 10 foot rollers

Yeehaw

Yes, prolly a boat or rock or water god, right? You know, how Zero has his moon god and the aztecs had their sun god and some losers had their star god.

Please tell us about these gods you refer to? What do they cost per hour? Which one's are ok with killing post partum fetuses and infanticide? Which one's give bums who live off the labor of others protection and blessings.

Are any of them the ones Piglosi refers to when she says we don't need god because the Ds are in charge? Are any of them the god named Satan your buds like Lenin and Xi and Saul Alinsky worshiped for their riches?

Are any of them the one's that blessed America? Are any of them named ally or obammy, except of course, yours?

I need one that allows murder and adultry, you know, like the Clinton's god.

Do any of them have a Heaven or JESUS CHRIST?
Roger, can prop repair shops fix them?

one maybe, the other is pretty much gone.
Originally Posted by DaveR

Possible, if charts are inaccurate or he may have had map datums not set right. If his GPS is set to a different datum than what the dowloaded chart is using, he could be off quite a bit. But I'd think he'd see that well before it became an issue like this?

was 3 am rough, it's hard to see those jetty's at night, especially when it's rough.

SheRoy,

LOL

Hahahaha. Tff. Winner, winner......
Posted By: stxhunter Re: F-ck this is not good - 10/02/20
Fixed, stronger than original, he did a lot of reinforcing on the inside of the hull. new bottom paint. Pic of Bre for y'all.

Posted By: Springcove Re: F-ck this is not good - 10/02/20
She’s neat...
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: F-ck this is not good - 10/02/20
Who is Bre?
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Who is Bre?

our deck hand.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: F-ck this is not good - 10/02/20
Originally Posted by Springcove
She’s neat...

And swell...
Posted By: Hammer2506 Re: F-ck this is not good - 10/02/20
Well man, he sent her a lil to fuqking hard
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: F-ck this is not good - 10/02/20
Bre certainly doesn't need a good personality.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: F-ck this is not good - 10/02/20
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

With that ass she could look like Roger for all I care.......
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: F-ck this is not good - 10/02/20
Originally Posted by 12344mag

Buzzkill.
Posted By: Raeford Re: F-ck this is not good - 10/02/20

Buzzkill.

Yeah....that was un-called for!
Posted By: Mac84 Re: F-ck this is not good - 10/02/20
Fixed, stronger than original, he did a lot of reinforcing on the inside of the hull. new bottom paint. Pic of Bre for y'all.

We need the front view to give a fully informed opinion
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: F-ck this is not good - 10/02/20

Oh Cheese and Rice! lol

It would look like this!

Originally Posted by Mac84

We need the front view to give a fully informed opinion

he only texted me that one pic, if i go out there sunday i'll take some.
Posted By: ironbender Re: F-ck this is not good - 10/02/20
How long is that boat? Is that the catamaran?
Originally Posted by ironbender

35ft

she has that too, Fun person to be around. lol when I and her went out to the jetty Brians wife asked are you wearing something under those shorts, she said sure a swimsuit then shook her hips and said come her boy's, in a may west voice.

35ft

yes cat.
Posted By: ironbender Re: F-ck this is not good - 10/02/20
Hope you boys can get out again soon.
Posted By: huskyrunner Re: F-ck this is not good - 10/02/20
Proper technique for multihulls

[Linked Image from 1.bp.blogspot.com]

we will, going to make a road trip to Leighton's for waterfowl and bluefin, mike and davy got a 700lber a few days ago.
Posted By: add Re: F-ck this is not good - 10/03/20

Need a ruling here.

Roger bearded or clean shaven?
Posted By: 12344mag Re: F-ck this is not good - 10/03/20
Originally Posted by add

Need a ruling here.

Roger bearded or clean shaven?

Bearded is sooooooo old fashioned.
Posted By: ironbender Re: F-ck this is not good - 10/03/20

we will, going to make a road trip to Leighton's for waterfowl and bluefin, mike and davy got a 700lber a few days ago.

Please tell Leighton we said HI GFY! 😎
© 24hourcampfire