Home
Posted By: JTrapper73 This one hurts - 08/28/20
I buried my father yesterday. It was a tough day. He passed on the morning of August 21st. The funeral was delayed because we were waiting for my oldest to get in from Ft. Bragg as Tuesday was the end of his enlistment.
Dad would have been 74 on September 11th.
Dad was a regular outlaw in his younger day but in the fall of 1970 God answered mom’s prayers and he found the Lord. He was a completely changed man.
He spent the rest of his life sharing the gospel. For over the past 40 years he held weekly services in the local jail and nursing homes and since he retired he went to the nursing homes nearly every day to visit people if he wasn’t vacationing or at a doctors appointment.
He preached funerals for those who had no one, paid for funerals for our poorest family members, put people up in hotels, kept their lights on and took food or presents to someone so they could have a decent Christmas.
He loved to help whomever we could.
He was a wonderful husband, father and grandfather and set a wonderful example for us. He never complained about anything and talked about how good he had it no matter how bad he felt.
Dad was a wonderful provider and worked for 40 years as a tool & die maker for GM. He liked to worked me to death as a kid here on the farm but I’m so thankful he taught me how to work.
He also taught me how to hunt and fish and passed on to me his love for the outdoors and firearms.
The funeral director said that with COVID19 the viewing would be suppressed but over 600 still came through. Three hundred showed up for the funeral. His grandsons were his pallbearers.
Dad was just told he was in 5th stage kidney failure and he refused dialysis. They wanted to take his left leg but he said he came into this world with two legs and he was leaving with two. He had told his sister that unless God undertook he was in for a painful passing. God undertook. He mowed his grass and cut up a little tree in the back yard. He got to feeling bad and 36 hours later he was gone. He died at home like he wanted. I got to spend his last few hours with him as did the rest of the family. Had he been in the hospital we couldn’t have done that.
I am so thankful he was my dad. He will be missed. Thanks to the campfire for letting me share this.
Posted By: auk1124 Re: This one hurts - 08/28/20
Sympathies for your family. He sounds like he was a good man.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: This one hurts - 08/28/20
You will surely miss him, but keeping the memories alive will help with that. Sorry for your (and lots of other people's) loss.
Posted By: blindshooter Re: This one hurts - 08/28/20
Sorry for your loss.
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: This one hurts - 08/28/20
I'm sorry for the loss of your father, but humbled by a man whose life sounds to have been well lived.
Posted By: ruffcutt Re: This one hurts - 08/28/20
What a legacy, that should be be some solace for you and your family.
There are thousands of good folks like your father across this country that we never hear their story or the realm of their influence.
May he Rest In Peace.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: This one hurts - 08/28/20
PTL, he has everlasting life. Expect to be together again.
Posted By: Dess Re: This one hurts - 08/28/20
He went on his own terms with his mind still intact. We should all be so blessed. RIP
Posted By: jimy Re: This one hurts - 08/28/20
Its people like your father that make America the greatest land on earth, may he rest in Peace.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: This one hurts - 08/28/20
He sounds like a great man. Prayers for the family.
Posted By: 673 Re: This one hurts - 08/28/20
That is a beautiful way to pay tribute to your Dad, very honorable. Sorry for your loss.
Posted By: MAC Re: This one hurts - 08/28/20
My condolences. I buried mine in 2013 after he lost his battle with lung cancer. I would give anything to be able to do one more hunting or fishing trip with him. I miss him greatly every opening day.
Posted By: RiverRider Re: This one hurts - 08/28/20
My sincerest condolences.

He sounds as though he lived an exemplary life and will be a very tough act to follow.
Posted By: JeffyD Re: This one hurts - 08/28/20
Mourn your father's passing, but be grateful that God shared him with you and your family.

It sounds like he was truly a great man. May he rest in Peace
Posted By: Angus55 Re: This one hurts - 08/28/20
What a wonderful story and Man, he is beside Jesus, you are so blessed to of had him as Dad.
Posted By: SKane Re: This one hurts - 08/28/20
So sorry for your loss - may your father rest in peace.
Posted By: memtb Re: This one hurts - 08/28/20

Very sorry for your loss.....but, it appears that God brought home a good man! Thoughts and Prayers to You, Family, and your Father’s friends! memtb
Posted By: BigNate Re: This one hurts - 08/28/20
Very sorry for your loss. At least you have the comfort of knowing he's at peace.
Posted By: Old Ornery Re: This one hurts - 08/28/20
Sorry for your loss of your father. Keep his memory close.
Posted By: Jim_Knight Re: This one hurts - 08/28/20
It is indeed bittersweet. While we know our Loved Ones are "with Him", we are acutely aware they are "not here with us". Yes, it hurts, and will for awhile yet. May God comfort you during this time sir...
Posted By: cv540 Re: This one hurts - 08/28/20
Sorry for your loss.

When my mom passed away we cleaned out her dwelling. Amongst her things I found a hand written note from her which read:

"When we die a part of us lingers with the people who knew us and loved us.

That part of us is called our Essence.

If you hold on tight to your Mom's (or Dad's) essence, she (or he) will Always be with you.

You do it in your heart. Make a special place there just for your Mom (or Dad.)
Put all your good memories of her there so you will have them Always.

When you feel lonesome for her (or him) you can reach inside for a nice memory and she will be with you AGAIN."

Perhaps her words can offer you some solace.
Posted By: Springcove Re: This one hurts - 08/28/20
I’m sorry for your loss. Be blessed you had the time with your father.
Posted By: RNF Re: This one hurts - 08/28/20
Sorry for your loss. Condolences to you and your family.
Posted By: Sprint11 Re: This one hurts - 08/28/20
Very sorry for your loss. No comparison to losing "Dad". But remember, you are his legacy. Make him proud.
Posted By: superlight17b Re: This one hurts - 08/28/20
Sorry for your loss,said a rayer for him,stay strong.
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: This one hurts - 08/28/20
Originally Posted by memtb

Very sorry for your loss.....but, it appears that God brought home a good man! Thoughts and Prayers to You, Family, and your Father’s friends! memtb

THIS ^^^^^^
Posted By: oldtrapper Re: This one hurts - 08/28/20
Sincere condolences, God bless your father's legacy forever. Your loss is great but so is your inheritance.
Posted By: Duckhunter Re: This one hurts - 08/28/20
Sorry for your loss...Sounds like your dad was a great man!!
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: This one hurts - 08/28/20
Sad to hear of his passing.

My Dad went home over 7 years ago.

I miss him.
Posted By: TAC81 Re: This one hurts - 08/28/20
Cheers to a life well lived and full of joy and fulfillment to others! Sounds like the kind of guy that all of us would aspire to be like. Makes me take a step back and reflect with all of this hate and nonsense going on in the world right now....need to focus back in on whats important. Jesus gained a good friend in your Dad.
Posted By: Gypsy_Wind Re: This one hurts - 08/28/20
Sorry for your loss, JTrap. Your dad was a good man.
Posted By: 4xbear Re: This one hurts - 08/28/20
Sorry for your loss.
Posted By: kenacp Re: This one hurts - 08/28/20
May God give you and your family comfort.
Posted By: Rick n Tenn Re: This one hurts - 08/28/20
Sorry to hear he is gone . Your father performed a valuable service to those in his community . Im sure he will be greatly missed and remembered by many of the people he helped . Prayers sent for you and the family .
Posted By: JamesJr Re: This one hurts - 08/28/20
Sorry for your loss. Sounds like he was a good man.
Posted By: Ranger_Green Re: This one hurts - 08/28/20
What an amazing man. He sounds a lot like SGT York, only instead of going to war against the Germans, he fought against despair and poverty and hopelessness. Too bad there is no Medal Of Honor for folks who sacrifice for the right thing.

Respect.
Posted By: hookeye Re: This one hurts - 08/28/20
Sorry for your loss.
Planted my aunt today, 86.
Worked hard her whole life.
Now she can rest easy
Posted By: northcountry Re: This one hurts - 08/28/20
Originally Posted by JeffyD
Mourn your father's passing, but be grateful that God shared him with you and your family.

It sounds like he was truly a great man. May he rest in Peace

I lost mine B4 my 14 birthday so do not have many memories, be thank full. Cheers NC
Posted By: Gun_Geezer Re: This one hurts - 08/28/20
Lost my Dad 5-years ago. Huge hole in our lives. I know your pain.

None of us gets out alive. Just so glad he lived a life worth living!
Posted By: hillbillybear Re: This one hurts - 08/28/20
Prayers on the way. Your Dad sounds like a fine fellow.
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: This one hurts - 08/28/20
Sorry for your loss ,but he’s in Gods arms and knowing that is truly a blessing , praying for you and your family!

I can tell by what you wrote that your dad was pretty special and God blessed you with an awesome Dad .
Posted By: tzone Re: This one hurts - 08/28/20
I’m sorry to hear about your father. He sounds like a great man.
Posted By: RAS Re: This one hurts - 08/28/20
Spending time with your Dad before he passed is huge. I got to do that with my Dad in 2015.

Your father is a fine man. I am not saying that because of course I don’t know him, but any son who writes that about his father, surely made his mark in a positive way. I will pray that my sons do the same for me. God bless.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: This one hurts - 08/28/20
Sorry you lost your Dad, it sounds like he was a hell of a man, the world is a little dimmer with his passing.

RIP Pop.
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: This one hurts - 08/28/20
Sorry for your loss. Prayer sent for comforting and strength.
Posted By: JTrapper73 Re: This one hurts - 08/29/20
Originally Posted by cv540
Sorry for your loss.

When my mom passed away we cleaned out her dwelling. Amongst her things I found a hand written note from her which read:

"When we die a part of us lingers with the people who knew us and loved us.

That part of us is called our Essence.

If you hold on tight to your Mom's (or Dad's) essence, she (or he) will Always be with you.

You do it in your heart. Make a special place there just for your Mom (or Dad.)
Put all your good memories of her there so you will have them Always.

When you feel lonesome for her (or him) you can reach inside for a nice memory and she will be with you AGAIN."

Perhaps her words can offer you some solace.

Thank you for sharing this. I appreciate it.
Posted By: JTrapper73 Re: This one hurts - 08/29/20
Thanks to everyone for the kind words and comments. I appreciate each and every one.
I know where my father is and I am at peace with it. I am thankful for the memories, the example, and the 47 years I had with him. I will continue on just as he would have wished but I hate to see mother and the grandkids suffer as I am sure you all understand.
All the best to all of you guys and my condolences to all have lost their fathers, especially before their time.
Posted By: Deans Re: This one hurts - 08/29/20
My condolences to you and your family. May God bless and comfort you through this time of sorrow.
© 24hourcampfire