Home

What it sounds like on Antelope Island west of SLC

These guys are nuthin to be messed with......

Whether Yellowstone or.........anywhere else

https://www.ksl.com/article/5001194...-being-gored-by-bison-at-antelope-island
it’s always a good idea to remind those using state parks that they need to have “situational awareness,” especially where wildlife is concerned.

Gee, ya' think?
I once stabilized C-spine until the ambulance arrived on a drunk lady who had been trampled by a bison at night near the Old Faithful cabins at Yellowstone NP. I don't know how many times I told her to quit moving around so she wouldn't paralyze herself. I was glad when the bus got there and we got a C collar on her. The damned bison were still hanging around nervously shuffling about in the shadows and if they would have stampeded she was on her own!
The Bison we saw last summer looked cranky when dummies got in their area
While riding my bicycle one day, I was in a hurry and wanted.to cut off some mileage.
I cut across a field at a farm I used to work for.
The cattle were out grazing . At one area the ground was hard, deep rutted from previous muddy use that I had to get off and carry that mountain bike.

It was the first time I ever had cows charge me.
They sure pick up steam running down hill at you. No trees or anything to get behind.
I was seriously embarrassed at the time.
Originally Posted by tikkanut

What it sounds like on Antelope Island west of SLC

These guys are nuthin to be messed with......

Whether Yellowstone or.........anywhere else

https://www.ksl.com/article/5001194...-being-gored-by-bison-at-antelope-island

wondered about that in the Henrys sometimes....
I heard a bow hunter got kilt by an elk today too. The animals are out for revenge.
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
While riding my bicycle one day, I was in a hurry and wanted.to cut off some mileage.
The cattle were out grazing . At one area the ground was hard, deep rutted from previous muddy use that I had to get off and carry that mountain bike.

They sure pick up steam running down hill at you. No trees or anything to get behind.

So how did you keep from getting trampled?
Well, if all of this killing continues, there won't be any sports to watch.
Condolences to the fellas family.

Sounds like he ran up on it and spooked it? Seems wearing earbuds and running in the wilderness is a bad idea.

While back some fella out here was gored and killed by a mountain goat in theOlympics.

I guess it beats being eaten by a grizzly.
As you enter Antelope Island, there is a sign that says, CAUTION, BISON MAY BE DANGEROUS.

No, folks. That's not quite right. Bison ARE dangerous, no "may be" about it. They are large, powerful, cranky, and stupid.
This guy wasn't your typical dummy tourist, he runs on the island all the time, thousands of miles in fact. Just goes to show, accidents can happen to anyone at any time!
The dead guy had his ear buds in. Listening to some music on his Iphone. No situational awareness.
About every six months you see the story of some female, out jogging in the park, or the woods, had her ear buds in, and wasn't aware of the guy who dragged her into the bushes and raped and then murdered her.
Just more genetic cleansing.

Nature at work thinning out the idiots.

In spite of this article.

https://www.ksl.com/article/5001215...ed-by-bison-remembered-as-genuinely-good
In Utah, it is legal for a permit holder to carry in state parks. Any opinions on the effectiveness of a small 44 Mag for self defense against bison? Asking for a friend.
Originally Posted by denton
In Utah, it is legal for a permit holder to carry in state parks. Any opinions on the effectiveness of a small 44 Mag for self defense against bison? Asking for a friend.

I would think with the right bullet a head shot would do it. they have massive heads so that would help to make a good hit
It happens. Some try to avoid it. Some ask for it.
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper

So how did you keep from getting trampled?

One would get up courage and start running, then hit the brakes and stumble to a stop.
I hollered, picked up my bike over my head and acted aggressive. I eventually made my way to the fence. I previously worked mainly with the big poultry houses and wasn't familiar with this breed. They definitely saw me as a threat and not their farmer there to feed them.
Originally Posted by Capt_Craig
I heard a bow hunter got kilt by an elk today too. The animals are out for revenge.

Archer killed by elk
Originally Posted by Prwlr
Originally Posted by Capt_Craig

Archer killed by elk

Sure sounds like it.

I think that it will eventually continue to get worse, because there's Bible prophecy about this kind of thing ramping up.
Originally Posted by 2five7
This guy wasn't your typical dummy tourist, he runs on the island all the time, thousands of miles in fact. Just goes to show, accidents can happen to anyone at any time!

Same sorta thing happened to Indians and Frontiersmen alike, as long as humans and dangerous critters are sharing the same real estate things can happen..

Closest I came was back in college at a Field Station in the Adirondacks, used to run three miles up and three miles back along a forest trail every evening. Ran around a big rock outcrop along the trail one time and stumbled into a big male black bear, right there, coming the other way. First I saw was was that head swinging down and around as it turned to run, it huffed and woofed its way over the next hill, kicking leaves up with every bound. If it had been a sow with cubs, or just in a bad mood, I coulda got seriously chewed on. No earbuds involved.
Bison are like dynamite. Everything's fine, just fine, until the fuse is lit. Then Boom. I've seen it time and time again both live and on tape, they are like night and day.
Stupid animals getting violent was in reference to 2 legged ones I bet
I have run into many bison on that trail ... it winds along a hillside full of very large boulders & tall sage. Bison bed in that area and it would be real easy to come on one unexpectedly. Could happen to anyone.
© 24hourcampfire