Home
Posted By: NTG How Old are these Primers?? - 08/31/20
Hi. Any idea or way of finding? They were given to me along with a lot of other really old stuff. I'd like to use them up, but I'm just curious about how old they are. Thanks in advanced.[Linked Image]
My guess..’70’s.
Looks like modern packaging on the ones on the far right to me. At least since I started reloading about 1997.

The others, I haven't a clue.
The two on the far left and far right I'm guessing 70's -80's. Those two in the center gotta be older. Don't even recall seeing that style packaging.
Posted By: TomT Re: How Old are these Primers?? - 08/31/20
Well, I started loading with my father in the early 70's. and the box on the left in the pic (red/white magnum CCI primers) were what we used then. I have the box on the right (red/silver/blue CCI 200 primers, from the 80's (early 90s?). I have no idea about the 4 boxes in the middle, but a GUESS on the TOP 2 would be 50s, 60s???

I would load up a few of each into "prepped brass" (NO POWDER, NO BULLET), and see how they go off. IF they were stored properly (climate control, no moisture), I am confident they will be fine. YMMV. -TomT
Posted By: HawkI Re: How Old are these Primers?? - 08/31/20
Left to right:
1980s, 1960s, early 1970s (it has a code 12-71), 1990s/2000s
Keep the boxes, get some epoxy and make yourself some coasters...
Posted By: NTG Re: How Old are these Primers?? - 08/31/20
I wondered if those were date codes but I was fairly positive the 250s were not from 1935.
CCI, aka Cascade Cartridge Inc. started in 1954.

The bottom left is older then those I have from the late 70's.

Those four middle boxes, especially the one's that spell out Cascade Cartridge Inc. are real collectors items.
The 2 in the middle are older.

I have some of those and they get tested every now and again.

They go boom.

Made in the late 60's and the right side in currant.
Posted By: NTG Re: How Old are these Primers?? - 08/31/20
I wondered if those were date codes but I was fairly positive the 250s were not from 1935.
Posted By: RufusG Re: How Old are these Primers?? - 08/31/20
I have primers from my dad's stash that look like the one on the far left that I would put as the late 60's early 70s design. The box has a price tag that appears to have a date of 2-73 on it. $6/K btw.
Posted By: TomT Re: How Old are these Primers?? - 08/31/20
FYI, THIS is what the current CCI Primer box design looks like:

https://www.cdsgltd.co.uk/media/cat...c/c/cci_rifle_and_pistol_primers_1_2.jpg
'60s and '70s left and middle. Don't recall the price but less than $1.00 a hundred.
© 24hourcampfire