Home
Posted By: g5m Now an elk has killed a hunter - 08/31/20
To go with the hiker-bison story:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...1793/bison-kills-utah-hiker#Post15181793

here's one on elk:

https://www.foxnews.com/great-outdoors/oregon-archery-hunter-gored-killed-charging-elk-police-say
Well, they could at least use a picture of a Roosevelt.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
The most dangerous game? I jest of course.

The antis love these kind of stories.
Thats why i shoot elk.
66 and kilt by an elk while hunting.

There’s worse ways to go.
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Be eaten by wolves/bear/mtn lion while hunting? That would be one of the worse ways.

I agree. Beats cancer by miles.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Be eaten by wolves/bear/mtn lion while hunting? That would be one of the worse ways.

Well, since we’re off into hypothetical....

Big cats are often pretty quick, bite to the skull/neck etc....

I figure army ants would be off the scale bad 🙂
Man stuck elk, elk suffered wounded all night, elk kills the man next day. Confirms my opinion on archery hunting as a "sport'.
I was kind of thinking about the late great Timothy Treadwell feeding his pet bears.
I was kind of thinking about the late great Timothy Treadwell feeding his pet bears.

Horrific, the real tragedy being his girlfriend.
At the same time, she was out there acting as his photographer. Maybe she wasn't quite as loony as he was but she was still loony enough to believe his stories about bears being safe.

I've read any number of stories about hunters being attacked by deer, especially horny whitetails. I remember one in particular but I can't remember if it was a whitetail or a muley. The hunter got hold of it's antlers but couldn't let go of it because it kept coming at him. It took a while but he was able to wrestle it into a pond and drown it. IIRC, he had 70 some holes that needed patching.

Horrific, the real tragedy being his girlfriend.

She was a Darwin Award wining photographer 😜
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Man stuck elk, elk suffered wounded all night, elk kills the man next day. Confirms my opinion on archery hunting as a "sport'.

Yeah, because we all know that no elk have EVER been wounded by a rifle.

No kidding, you could end up naked hanging in a closet in some hotel room.......
There are plenty of incompetents, rifle, archery, muzzle loader, hand gun. The ethics of quick humane kills is something instinctive or learned at your father's side. Nothing I say or do will change anyone's mind. Carry on.
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

I think the latest fad of long range shooting has wounded a LOT of elk. We never hear about those, do we?
What Rock Chuck says, right on!

My sentiments exactly.

Neil
Posted By: efw Re: Now an elk has killed a hunter - 08/31/20
There are plenty of incompetents, rifle, archery, muzzle loader, hand gun. The ethics of quick humane kills is something instinctive or learned at your father's side. Nothing I say or do will change anyone's mind. Carry on.

I agree completely but I’ve taken shots with a rifle that didn’t end the way I expected when the shot rang out. Does that mean my dad didn’t teach me properly, I’m incompetent, or that even the right weapon in the hands of a well trained and conscientious person doesn’t guarantee the end we desire?
Originally Posted by efw

I agree completely but I’ve taken shots with a rifle that didn’t end the way I expected when the shot rang out. Does that mean my dad didn’t teach me properly, I’m incompetent, or that even the right weapon in the hands of a well trained and conscientious person doesn’t guarantee the end we desire?

Schit happens, regardless of the weapon used.
Actual pic of the killer Rosie.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

😎
Stud,

Yep, this never happens to rifle hunters grin

Yup, died what he enjoyed doing.

Breathing

I agree with you 100%. I have seen countless deer and some bear when killed with rifles gutted and skinned with arrowhead falling out or imbedded in them.
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

but if you have a rifle and the elk gets up to come at you a lot easier to shoot it with a rifle rather then a stupid bow
Originally Posted by SPQR70AD

I agree with you 100%. I have seen countless deer and some bear when killed with rifles gutted and skinned with arrowhead falling out or imbedded in them.

I agree. I knew several hard core archery hunters in Georgia. Down there, we were just shooting little whitetail deer.
I heard many stories from these bow guys about wounded deer that got away.

Yes, I know rifle guys make mistakes but archery guys make a lot more. They cause a lot of unnecessary suffering to game animals.
© 24hourcampfire